Rate my Stall Team

Hello this is my semi-stall team. I had been using a sandstall team, but that ran into issues because of all the weather changers running around, so I changed. This is a team that I actually didn’t spend a lot of time thinking about putting together, but have been constantly tweaking since I originally created it.
Team Building Process
I started by building around the pokemon that I thought looked the coolest, Mandibuzz. I realized that this would once again probably have to be more of a stall team, but I was okay with it.

Next, I decided that I would need to have someone to set up some entry hazards, and also to spin them away because I have a deep hatred for entry hazards, so who else but Forretress.

Next I decided that if I had someone take all the time to set up the entry hazards that I had so carefully laid down, then I sure as heck did not want the opponent to spin them all away. But I also wanted another wall, so Evolution Stone Dusclops would work perfectly.

Now I had two mixed walls, and a physical wall, so I needed a special wall. It quickly came down to either Blissey or Chansey, and after some research I decided to go with Chansey.

Now I realized that I need some attackers so I wasn’t completely helpless to taunt, and I thought to who was one of the best special attackers. After some deep thinking, and realizing that some Ubers from last generation were unbanned at this point, so I went with Latios

Finally I need a physical attacker to round out this set, and I though back to another pokemon that I thought looked cool this generation, Escavalier.

This was my original team, but I soon realized that there were issues. The first change was that while Dusclops had great defense, he wasn’t providing the team with anything else, so I dropped him for Cofagrigus.

Next, I found that Sandstorm was more prevalent after Drizzle and Swift Swim combination were banned, and that the constant barrage on Chansey really limited its ability to wall the opposing team. So I made the simple switch to a Blissey, who has worked really well.

Finally, the last change was looking for a physical attacker, because Escavalier’s speed was driving me crazy. So I went to the opposite end of the speed spectrum, choosing Infernape because of his ability to act as a bridge between walls.

So that is the team I am running now, but I am asking for help because some (especially Cofagrigus and Mandibuzz) don’t seem to be pulling their own weight. So any advice would be welcome.

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EV’s: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd
Nature: Jolly (+Spd, - SpA)
Fakeout
U-Turn
Flare Blitz
Close Combat
What is one of my most favorite pokemon, he acts as the main lead, and also as the one who transitions the team. Fake Out is there for quick damage on the opponent and is also good because it breaks focus sashes and negates sturdy. U-Turn is the second move, and I use it often after I use Fake Out to get out of the situation and to go to a more appropriate counter, but it also can do pretty good damage depending on the opponent. Flare Blitz is the newest addition to the set; it has also been Fire Punch, Fire Blast, and Overheat throughout the testing, and this is what has worked best (although not too well either). It is there for a STAB Physical Fire Move. Close Combat is the last move, and it is there for good reliable power. Focus Sash is what I am running now, which may seem contradictory because I am running a move with recoil that will negate it, but I use it as a safety against priority attackers, especially Aqua Jet users.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EV’s: 252 HP, 4 Def, 252 SpD
Nature: Careful (+SpD, - SpA
Stealth Rock
Toxic Spikes
Rapid Spin
Payback
My entry hazards guru, only there for setting my teams up and taking opposing teams down. Stealth Rock is there because it is probably the best entry hazard, hitting every pokemon for at least some damage and being a one turn set up. Toxic Spikes is there because I run a stalling style of play, and if I can get two layers down, it makes stalling much easier. Rapid Spin is there for getting rid of entry hazards, which is really the bane of Infernape’s existence. Payback is finally there for Ghosts that may come in to try and ruin my spinning.

Latios @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EV’s: 4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spd
Nature: Timid (+ Spd, - Atk)
Trick
Draco Meteor
HP Fire
Surf
Your basic Specs Latios, designed to take out opposing pokemon quickly and ruthlessly. Trick is to give an unsuspecting wall a surprise by taking the leftovers that so many pokemon need, and making them stick with only one move. Draco Meteor is there to just rip things apart as I said above, and it does its job well. HP Fire is there to deal with the main problem for Latios, Pursuit Scizor, but also does a good job at taking out Ferrothorn’s and opposing Forretress’s. Surf us there because it gets very good coverage with Draco Meteor. The item is constantly changing between a Choice Specs and Scarf, but this is what I am running right now.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability- Natural Cure
EV’s: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpD
Nature: Bold (+ Def, - Atk)
Protect
Wish
Heal Bell
Ice Beam
This was originally a Evolution Stone Chansey, but with Sandstorm being so present, especially since unlimited drizzle was banned with Swift Swim, she got worn down too fast. So Blissey it is. Protect is there to use up the turn after Wish to heal Blissey up, and also to pick up leftovers health too. Wish is there for healing Blissey, and also to pass it along to my other pokemon that need some healing, especially Cofagrigus. Heal Bell is there because Burn and especially Toxic really hurt stall teams , and this is the best way of handling them. Ice Beam is there for an attacking option, plus no pokemon is immune to it as there are pokemon who are immune to Seismic Toss, Flamethrower, or Toxic. Leftovers is there for pretty obvious reasons.

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EV’s: 248 HP, 56 Def, 204 SpD
Nature: Impish ( + SpD, -SpA)
Roost
Whirlwind
Toxic
U-Turn
This is one of my favorite new pokemon of the generation. Roost is there for the ability to heal off any damage, and also to lose the Electric and Ice weakness. Whirlwind is there for dealing with any stat-boosters, and also to force switches and racking up entry hazard damages and also phazing out other pokemon who are trying to set up (especially Reuniclus, who unless they carry Focus Blast, and even sometimes if they do, walls it). Toxic is there to work in conjunction with whirlwind to poison as many pokemon as possible if I don’t have down Toxic Spikes. U-Turn is finally there so I am not completely stopped by taunt and can inflict a little damage on the way out. This is a pokemon that I has not been able to do what I expected of it, so any changes would be helpful.

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EV’s: 252 HP, 110 Def, 146 SpD Iv’s: 0 Spd
Nature: Bold( + Def, - Atk)
Will-o-Wisp
Disable
Mean Look
Hex
This is a set that I thought up that works really well sometimes, and sometimes really sucks. The goal is to status the opponent with Will-o-Wisp if they are not already poisoned by another teammate or by the Toxic Spikes. Most counters will come in right away and I will trap them with Mean Look. If something I don’t like comes in, then I switch, but if not I disable on the next turn because I can figure that they are going to attack as quickly as possible with their strongest attack, and with his slow speed, I should get in the disable afterward. I then proceed to attack with Hex, as the opponent slowly succumbs to the attacks and the burn/poison. The problem that I have is that it takes a long time to get everything going, and even with Cofagrigus’s outstanding defenses, he dies.

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Please remove the multiple font tags in your thread at your earliest convenience.

Well, speed boost blaziken does alot better at wallbreaking than Infernape, since it gets higher speed after one turn and it has more offence than infernape.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sigilyph can accomplish what Mandibuzz is doing pretty well. this set

Sigilyph @ Leftovers
EVs idk, 252 HP/128Def/128SDef or something
Magic Guard (protects you from hazards is the most important point of this)
Whirlwind
Roost
Cosmic Power
Assist Power

is worth a try, although it can't toxic (you should prioritize toxic spikes on a stall team, however). With a few cosmic power boosts, assist power hits pretty well and you will be hard to take down. Then, you can just tell Dark types to gtfo with whirlwind, also increasing the passive entry damage. All that's missing is the toxicing ability, and if you must have it you can try

Sigilyph @ Toxic Orb
EVs idk, 252 HP/128Def/128SDef or something
Psycho Shift
Roost
Cosmic Power
Assist Power / Whirlwind

or something. Play around with the moveset and EVs some more if you try this. If you use this Pokemon, none of your Pokemon will be weak to SR so Forrestress potentially has more chances to set up more hazards (rapid spin will be less prioritized).

You lack a water resist on this team outside of Latios, who was not meant to take repeated hits anyways. Something like Azumarill who packs physical water moves is a threat to your team. Azumarill can fire off a waterall on all of your walls without fear, and if it's boosted by rain and choice band, then even forretress is in trouble. Also, a pokemon like Gyarados can set up on most of the pokemon on your team and outspeeds every one after a dragon dance.

Consider replacing Cofragrigus with Jellicent. It learns will-o-wisp and can hit stuff with shadow ball if you want. I would try water absorb as the ability but if you want to disable stuff you can try cursed body.

You do lack a water resist as said above. To keep a more stall theme going switch Latios over to Latias, who can take water moves and hit alright. As for the general "stall theme" have you considered a sand team? With a 50% special defense boost to rock types it will help a lot to add stall. Also, even if its a stall team, there is a pokemon that can potentially run through this team: Thundurus.

Thundurus@Life Orb/Expert Belt
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
HP Ice / HP Fire
Thunder Bolt
Hammer Arm/Brick Break
Substitute

With this set it can OHKO Infernape (After breaking the sash) with T-Bolt, it can do a good chunk of damage to Forretress HP Fire or any of its moves, it out speeds max speed Latios and can hit it with HP Ice, and with out you having a chance to toxic it whirl wind it or anything and can go right through your team.

A good solution would be:

Tank Swampert
Swampert@Leftovers
252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
Careful Nature
Curse
Earthquake / Waterfall
Avalanche / Sleep Talk
Rest

This set allows you to take a hit and hit Thundurus with avalanche and just heal yourself with rest. Also try Aromatheropy on bliss because it looks cooler and has the same effect :D.

Hope I helped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)