Rate my Team: BW2 NU Tier Team

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello. I am very new to competitive Pokemon battling, and I've only played 2 battles (a victory in NU and a loss in RU). However, I am experienced in all of the terms, EVs, and roles of Pokemon. Also I want to be more of an aggressive player. Here is my team and I would like you to makes suggestions about the Pokemon I have or even switching Pokemon:

Kangaskhan: Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
-Body Slam
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-Fake Out
I don't know if this is a good idea, but I would use Kangaskhan as my lead and try to flinch something first turn. He is one of my physical sweepers, so I gave him max attack and 3 other attacking moves. I chose Body Slam over Return for my STAB move because of the paralysis chance. I also chose Earthquake and Outrage as my 2 other attacking moves.

Arbok: Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
-Coil
-Gunk Shot
-Earthquake
-Seed Bomb
I really love Arbok. He is one of my favorite Pokémon. I would like to use him as my physical set-up sweeper. I have max Speed on him so I can attack first most of the time. Gunk Shot is my STAB move, and I have Earthquake and Seed Bomb for type coverage.

Gardevoir: Wise Glasses/Life Orb
Ability: Trace
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Spe)
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP
-Calm Mind
-Psychic
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball
I want to use Gardevoir as my Special set-up sweeper. I have max Special Attack for maximum damage. Psychic is for STAB, and Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball for type coverge.

Charizard: Choice Specs
Ability: Blaze
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Spe)
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP
-Flamethrower
-Air Slash
-Dragon Pulse
-Focus Blast
I am using Charizard as a full-out powerhouse for Special Attack. Just like Gardevoir, I have max Special Attack for maximum damage output. I chose Flamethrower over Fire Blast for my STAB move because Flamethrower has decent damage and I don't want to miss with Charizard. I have Air Slash as my second STAB and Dragon Pulse and Focus Blast for type coverage. I want to get rid of Focus Blast because it's not that reliable; but there is no other good special attacking move. I am thinking of swapping Focus Blast with Roost.

Lickilicky: Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Atk
-Protect
-Toxic
-Earthquake
-Body Slam
I really don't like the idea of using Lickilicky as a cleric because I am more of an aggressive battler. I think Lickilicky is a very good physical wall with a lot of potential. My EVs make Lickilicky a better wall. However, I also want Lickilicky to do some damage and get kills, so I gave him Body Slam for STAB and Earthquake for type coverage. I want to stall with him too, but I can't figure out a stalling set. I honestly think there is something wrong with my Lickilicky and I need your help.

Articuno: Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
EVs: 252 SpD, 88 HP, 84 SpA, 84 Spe
-Protect
-Toxic
-Roost
-Ice Beam
Articuno is my Special Defense wall and is a Pokémon I feel confident in stalling with. Protect + Roost allows Articuno to stall effectively when paired up with Toxic. I also have Ice Beam as my STAB attack to do some damage when I can.

Well, here is my NU tier team. I really need your helps and suggestions and I will be very grateful for it.
(P.S.) How do I put in the animated Pokémon sprites that I see in other RMTs?

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Welcome to Smogon! To be perfectly honest, you are supposed to play a lot of matches with a team before you post in the RMT subforum. You naturally make better changes as you gain more experience seeing what works and what doesn't work, and RMT is where you turn to once you've hit the peak of what your team can be under your own eye. I'll give you a rate, but I also suggest either heading over to Battling 101 to improve your battling skills, or simply testing your team (as well as many other teams) and learning from experience.

As an aggro type player, I would suggest using a more offensive team to complement your playstyle and mindset. That being said, this team isn't bad but it leans more towards balanced. I suggest removing both Lickilicky and Articuno for Alomomola. You keep Wish to maintain your team's longevity, still have an excellent pivot to switch into dangerous attacks, and it can pass its Wishes while not requiring Protect to maintain its own HP due to Regenerator. It keeps your team's offensive momentum by limiting the amount of turns wasted, which is the best part.

Kangaskhan needs Sucker Punch over Outrage. Outrage does absolutely nothing for Kangaskhan in terms of coverage (in fact, it is walled by the same things that walls its Normal STAB), while Sucker Punch combined with Fake Out is what makes Kangaskhan such a good Pokemon, especially as your team lacks a reliable revenge killer. Also, Body Slam is too weak, and the paralysis chance isn't as important when you consider the fact that Kangaskhan only has a base 95 Atk. Since you aren't using Life Orb, Double Edge is the best move for Kangaskhan so that you can 2HKO standard Misdreavus. The minor recoil isn't too bad with Wish support, the lack of Life Orb, and the fact you you are mainly using Kangaskhan to revenge kill weakened Pokes.

Arbok also would prefer Sucker Punch, though it doesn't like giving up either of its coverage moves. I would replace Seed Bomb personally as you have Alomomola to switch into most variants of Seismitoad (fuck SubToxic), but that is up to you.

This is personal preference, but Gardevoir should probably be Timid, mainly to outspeed Adamant Sawk so that it can't hit you first. Life Orb provides a more reliable boost, but I suppose you can feel free to use Leftovers or Lum Berry instead. However, the pitiful 10% boost to Gardevoir's special power isn't significant enough when you are already boosting your Special Attack, so you might as well use an item that helps keep Gardevoir around longer if you aren't sure of Life Orb. I also think Signal Beam has some more utility than Shadow Ball in dealing with Shiftry, against whom you must otherwise rely soley on Arbok to switch into and offensive pressure to keep under control.

Unfortunately, while it is up to preference what nature you can run on Gardevoir, it is NOT a good idea to use Modest Charizard. Charizard sits at a very important Speed tier that allows it to deal with the dangerous base 95 Speed tier. It also lets it Speed tie with opposing Charizards, meaning you don't automatically lose to an Air Slash after Rocks damage. Using Timid Charizard is really non-negotiable. Hidden Power Grass is probably better than Dragon Pulse overall since you are really only ever spamming Flamethrower and the occasional Air Slash. Better to hit Golem, Carracosta, and Seismitoad than to have mediocre power and no coverage except for the rare Altaria. Focus Blast isn't quite necessary with HP Grass, so you may want to consider Fire Blast for a stronger Fire STAB as well, one that can possibly 2HKO Audino and Lickilicky on the switch (especially dangerous when in Blaze range).

Now you have a free teamslot for a good hazard user to help ease your team's ability to sweep (you no longer need a Scarf user due to your priority users making up for it mostly). You have an assortment of good users to pick from, but Golem stands out as one of the best for your team. Its standard utility set offers your team: Stealth Rock support, Rock Blast to break certain annoying Substitute users, extra priority to help you revenge kill if necessary, a Flying and Normal resistance that you sorely need, and an Electric immunity to block Volt Switch and prevent your opponent from having an easy momentum gain against your team. You can speed creep more as well, but the bulk does come in handy early-mid game.

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Def / 152 SpD
Impish Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald / Waterfall
- Toxic

Golem @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Last edited:

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Thank you for all the advice. I will try to change my team to benefit it by the things you said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)