Rate My Team!

Introduction:
Hey guys! I've got another team here. I've been ironing out the kinks, and I'd like to get it as close to perfection as possible. All constructive criticism is welcome; can't wait to hear from you!

Hazard Lead

Forretress (M) @ Custap Berry Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Volt Switch
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

The main purpose of this guy is to setup hazards, and wall physical hits. If it so happens that the opponent leads with a Heatran, it's most likely they will go for a fire move right off the bat, but that's no trouble due to Forretress' new ability, Sturdy. In this generation it is like a free Focus Sash for your Pokémon. So if the Heatran hits me with say, a Flamethrower, it will most likely kill me, but with the new ability, I'll live on one, and since I have the Custap Berry, I will have the chance to move first next turn unless they have a higher priority attack. This has shown to be quite effective because I can get up some extra hazards, Rapid Spin away theirs, or just break a sash, and go for a Volt Switch.

General Walls

Sableye (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute
- Knock Off

This little guy has become quite the annoying Pokémon, because of it's new Prankster ability. It makes the users moves have +1 priority, which can begin to turn into quite the big problem for the opponent. Such as a Will-O-Wisp and Recover combo. You'll always be going first, unless they have a higher priority than +1 on the move they're using. That is beside the point, though. Its main strategy is to stall out HP. He has Will-O-Wisp for halving attack, or causing a loss of health each turn. Once using it, you have the option to either Recover, or Substitute. He has Leftovers, so he'll be gaining back a fourth of what it has lost from a sub. Knock Off is generally used for knocking off Leftovers, to rack up even more damage from burn.

Sigilyph (M) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 140 SDef / 56 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Roost
- Cosmic Power
- Psycho Shift
- Stored Power

Sigilyph's main purpose is to wall, period. With the combination of Cosmic Power, Roost, and Magic Guard, you have a very good chance of not going down without a fight. Cosmic Power multiplies your defenses by 1.5. Via Magic Guard, Flame Orb will not have any effect on your health amount. Since that is true, it can Psycho Shift away his status to the opposing Pokémon. This can be very helpful in many instances. Such as being up against a Salamence, if you're at +1, you will most likely take a hit with ease, and shoot some burn at it. This will halve his attack, and you can Roost of the health, and continue using Cosmic Power. Stored Power is an attack which depends on how many boosts you have. So when at +6, there's no stopping you on having a massively powerful attack in your hands.

Wobbuffet (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Def / 220 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Mirror Coat
- Counter
- Tickle
- Encore

Wobbuffet has seemed to stay the same over the years, but this one seems to be a bit different. With "tons" of HP, and some decently high defenses, his Mirror Coat and Counter can demolish if used correctly. Tickle is an attack where the opposing Pokémon drops to -1 in attack and defense. This can be very helpful on the foe, because they cannot switch due to your ability Shadow Tag. So when you know it's safe, you can switch to either Gyarados or Serperior to start setting up. Encore in my opinion is just a good move. When the opponent uses a move that will only be effective for a certain reason, Encore is the move to use. (Ex. Substitute)

Initial Sweepers

Serperior (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Contrary
EVs: 40 HP / 88 Def / 128 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute
- Glare

Serperiors mix of the ability, Contrary and Leaf Storm, has become quite a large threat to anything that isn't defensive and / or resistant to the mixture. Leaf Storm becomes a highly dangerous move being 140 off the bat, and then keep adding a +2 and STAB every turn. If you think about it, there doesn't seem like much to handle that kind of power. Hidden Power Ice is mainly for Dragon types, and anything else that is resistant to Leaf Storm. Substitute is usually to be used on a switch, or when predicting a status move from the foe. After a Sub, Glare is probably your next move to use. On most occasions, it will hit, but if you're not so lucky, there's not much you can do about that. If you manage to hit a Glare, I almost always keep using Substitute until they get fully Paralzyed. After / if that happens, I go for a Leaf Storm to keep gaining special attack.

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 76 HP / 152 Atk / 112 SDef / 168 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Bounce

Gyarados can turn into a threat if used the right way. In this case, I usually Dragon Dance on the switch, and with one hundred sixty-eight speed EVs, I can outspeed any 130'ers after a Dragon Dance. Such as Jolteon and Aerodactyl. Waterfall and Bounce is unresisted, so it makes a great match; especially with STAB on both. Taunt is for anything that might setup or try to status affect you. With Gyarados' new ability, Moxie, you will gain a +1 attack boost if you "kill" a Pokémon.

Conclusion:
Hope you noticed something I didn't! I'd really enjoy some help on making this team better. Thanks for reading my post,

~Forevermore in Thought

Hey Forevermore in Thought thought i'd come have a look at your team. First impressions: nice balance of offensive strength and defensive ability mean this team looks like a force to be reckoned with. A few things have since jumped to mind that might be a problem.

Powerful Special Attackers (Particularly Thundurus and Zapdos)

While you only have to Electric weakness in here they could be a real problem. Thundurus outruns most of your team and with STAB electric attacks, can power its way through anything but Wobbu in 2 and it can volt switch out of that. Zapdos may not outrun them all, but is bulkier, has a wider movepool and could toxic wobuffet.

Other special attacks like gensect might also be a problem, though between wobu and sygil they handle them just about.

While Sturdy Custap looks like a nice idea its not taking advantage of one very clear aspect of Forry, its survivability. Physically defensive Foretress can handle anything thrown at it thats not flare blizt or fire punch on the physical side and has a wide range of resistances. Use them. Id give it leftovers and make sure you have something to absorb those fire attacks effectively. Wobbu may work but wether you want to reveal him that early is another matter.

The set up of your other pokemon seems reasonable to me, and i wouldnt change any of their move sets if you wish to keep them, apart from possibly giving serperior a life orb and giga drain (rather than substitue or glare) though thats a personal call.

My biggest problem is with serperior. While that ability looks awsome his limmited movepool and average bulk mean that its relatively easy to block and kill, and can be turned into set up fodder. While he will often rip through unprepared teams, and may be useful late game, good players will rarely get caught out by it. Heatran walls it completely as does blissey/chansey and it has a weakness to ice shard.

I'd be tempted to replace it with something that can either synergize with your lead and help set up for gyarados, or find another threat that helps cover some of your weak points (i'd need to play with the team abit to really establish these).

What kind of things have been causing you trouble?

Hey Forevermore in Thought thought i'd come have a look at your team. First impressions: nice balance of offensive strength and defensive ability mean this team looks like a force to be reckoned with. A few things have since jumped to mind that might be a problem.

Powerful Special Attackers (Particularly Thundurus and Zapdos)

While you only have to Electric weakness in here they could be a real problem. Thundurus outruns most of your team and with STAB electric attacks, can power its way through anything but Wobbu in 2 and it can volt switch out of that. Zapdos may not outrun them all, but is bulkier, has a wider movepool and could toxic wobuffet.

Other special attacks like gensect might also be a problem, though between wobu and sygil they handle them just about.

While Sturdy Custap looks like a nice idea its not taking advantage of one very clear aspect of Forry, its survivability. Physically defensive Foretress can handle anything thrown at it thats not flare blizt or fire punch on the physical side and has a wide range of resistances. Use them. Id give it leftovers and make sure you have something to absorb those fire attacks effectively. Wobbu may work but wether you want to reveal him that early is another matter.

The set up of your other pokemon seems reasonable to me, and i wouldnt change any of their move sets if you wish to keep them, apart from possibly giving serperior a life orb and giga drain (rather than substitue or glare) though thats a personal call.

My biggest problem is with serperior. While that ability looks awsome his limmited movepool and average bulk mean that its relatively easy to block and kill, and can be turned into set up fodder. While he will often rip through unprepared teams, and may be useful late game, good players will rarely get caught out by it. Heatran walls it completely as does blissey/chansey and it has a weakness to ice shard.

I'd be tempted to replace it with something that can either synergize with your lead and help set up for gyarados, or find another threat that helps cover some of your weak points (i'd need to play with the team abit to really establish these).

What kind of things have been causing you trouble?
First of all, thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it. Second, I know that Heatran, Blissey / Chansey wall Serperior, but in my defense, if it's a Blissey or Chansey, I can Sub so I don't get paralyzed. 2 Leaf Storms will kill them. If it's a Heatran, then I can go into Gyarados and get a free DD.

BTW, I'm thinking of replacing Wobbuffet for my own Heatran, to take Ice hits. I noticed that I had 2 guys weak to Ice, and had nothing to take it.

Good team, although, my preferation would go out to one more attacker.
I would release Sigilyph and add like a Lucario or something.

Good team, although, my preferation would go out to one more attacker.
I would release Sigilyph and add like a Lucario or something.
I'm not really looking for another sweeper; this team's basic strategy is to stall, and let the sweepers clean up. Lucario doesn't really fit that position quite well.

A spec or scarfed serp will be better then the one you have now as you can deal large/quick damage that keeps getting boosted. Serp with life orb can work with giga drain at +2 is very scary. if you opt for any of these make forre, ferrathorn so serp will still get para support and you can still lay spikes and rocks which helps this stalling team (can someone tell me why ferra doesn't learn rapid spin like its pre-evos spin around in circles). Instead of taunt on gyara have a coverage move like stone edge as after 1 DD you will out speed most pokemon that try to set up so you can deal damage before they finish and hit with the apropiate move. For wubba I would remove some def and spD EVs and put them into Hp as you want damage dealt to you so you can hit back with the 2x damage. Hope this is useful.

Key: Bold = New Poke

Forretress (M) @ Custap Berry Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Volt Switch
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

Sabeleye (Sableye) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute
- Knock Off

Sigilyph (M) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 140 SDef / 56 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Roost
- Cosmic Power
- Psycho Shift
- Stored Power

Raikou @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 116 HP / 140 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

Salamence (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 144 SAtk / 112 Spd
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Azumarill (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Ice Punch

I've been having much better results with this team, what do you guys think?

It's a good idea to have Taunt on Sableye, it's highly effective, and I've never saw Substitute on Sableye before, it's nice and original. If you've got a Custap Berry on Forretress you might want to think about Explosion or something. Anyway, this is a nice team and I especially like the Sigilyph!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)