Rate my trick room team

Here is my trick room team. Can you rate it?
Prepare (Abomasnow-Mega) @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Blizzard
- Light Screen
- Energy Ball
- Water Pulse

He is my main attacker. Slow, with Perfect accuracy Blizzard.

for doom (Starmie) @ Mystic Water
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Naive Nature
IVs: 31 Spd
- Trick Room
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock

The reason he is so fast is because of his ability: analytic. He'll be moving last in trick room, so his moves will be boosted by analytic.

Reuniclus
@ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SAtk / 248 HP / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Signal Beam
- Trick Room

He's a special sweeper with low speed, so he's perfect for trick room. I'm thinking of putting in Pain Split, so what move should I replace?

Whimsicott @ Expert Belt
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 HP / 252 SAtk
Naive Nature
IVs: 31 Spd
- Giga Drain
- Dazzling Gleam
- Encore
- Leech Seed

Prankster allows him to move first, and when trick room isn't in effect, he can attack with high speed.

Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP
Brave Nature
- Close Combat
- Fling
- Stone Edge
- Giga Impact

When he's burned, his attack will rise, and he can fling the orb to burn other pokemon.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Toxic

Eviolite allows him to take hits, and if blissey switches in on him, he can use psyshock.

I like your team so far, I have a similar.

Abomasnow, why isn't he using Giga Drain? Roughly the same power as Energy Ball yet it provides healing. If you don't like that, Mega Abomasnow is one of the best Mixed Attackers in the game, you could go with Wood Hammer. Either way I would be using a Quiet Nature, not Modest.

On your Reuniclus, I like it, if you would replace anything for Pain Split I would choose Signal Beam, what coverage is that providing you? What purpose does it serve?

Whimsicott is okay I guess, have you thought about using Meowstick (M) as a Prankster user instead? It also learns Trick Room which provides Prankster Trick Room. Plenty of support skills, I would look into it. Whimsicott shares weaknesses with Abomasnow which are about the last weaknesses you want to stack given the Metagame.

Hariyama is good but I like Conkeldurr better as a Guts/Flame Orb Trick Room attacker. Same type, Conkeldurr has a great move pool, possibly one of the best TR Physical Attackers.

Porygon makes sense but seems to be providing pretty much the same thing as Starmie but bulkier. Why both?

First of all i think you should explain your Pokémon a bit more, one line of information isnt enough. Explain it more, why this Pokémon? Item? EVs? Nature? Moveset? Explain more so we can rate it better. And iirc there is a rule that you need to have at least 3 lines of description for each Pokémon. I do see a lack of Protect as it is very common to Protect alot in VGC/Doubles, maybe switch some moves to get recovery/protect.

Abomasnow: I dont know why you are running Abomasnow with Light Screen. There are better Pokémon that use Light Screen such as Meowstic as Azire stated. Remove Light Screen and take Focus Blast instead. I think Giga Drain is a better move for Abomasnow because it has many weaknesses and it needs to take a hit if you lead of with him and, for example, Meowstic.

Reuniclus: I suggest Focus Blast over Signal Beam and as Azire said maybe switch Signal Beam for Pain Split. Maybe even Gyro Ball to hit Fairy types? Small thing, youre missing one point in something. You have 248 HP and 252 SpAtk leaving 8 points. So 8 SpDef instead of 4 ;)

Whimsicott: As said, you might wanna switch it for Meowstic (m), it is a utility beast with screens, trick room, twave/toxic, and fake out. With Prankster!

Hariyama: The best Guts user is Conkeldurr leaving Machamp behind him. Conkeldurr as said has a better movepool and is a beast in doubles. Putting in work for the team. Priority Mach Punch, Drain punch for the recovery, Rock Slide hits both enemies and has a 30% chance to flinch and Detect because its more fun than Protect. The EVs on Conkeldurr can be changed to a bit more defenses so he can tank more hits, try testing different things

Porygon2: I have only seen Porygon2 in Singles so i dont think my opinion here is accurate for doubles but i'll give it a shot. Porygon2 has an amazing STAB move: Tri Attack. It does less damage on Blissey than Psyshock but i think you should consider using Tri Attack. Also i suggest using Download instead of Trace. It gives you more power for Porygon. Recover is also a great move on Porygon2 so maybe another set?

Meowstic (M) @ Light Clay/Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Fake Out/Psychic (to counter Taunt)
- Reflect/Light Screen
- Toxic/Thunder Wave
- Trick Room

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Rock Slide
- Detect

I'll rate this team later, but I just wanted to make a note that Trick Room is -7 priority. So even if you were able to use Trick Room on a Prankster Pokémon such as Meowstic-M, Trick Room would simply have a -6 priority instead. Just because you're able to use Trick Room on a Prankster Pokémon doesn't mean you'll be able to move first; Trick Room will still have the lowest priority when you battle.

I'll rate this team later, but I just wanted to make a note that Trick Room is -7 priority. So even if you were able to use Trick Room on a Prankster Pokémon such as Meowstic-M, Trick Room would simply have a -6 priority instead. Just because you're able to use Trick Room on a Prankster Pokémon doesn't mean you'll be able to move first; Trick Room will still have the lowest priority when you battle.
And so you learn something everyday. I havent used any Trick Room team so i didnt know that. But it doesnt change the fact that Meowstic is a great Pokémon in a Trick Room team imo

First of all i think you should explain your Pokémon a bit more, one line of information isnt enough. Explain it more, why this Pokémon? Item? EVs? Nature? Moveset? Explain more so we can rate it better. And iirc there is a rule that you need to have at least 3 lines of description for each Pokémon. I do see a lack of Protect as it is very common to Protect alot in VGC/Doubles, maybe switch some moves to get recovery/protect.

Abomasnow: I dont know why you are running Abomasnow with Light Screen. There are better Pokémon that use Light Screen such as Meowstic as Azire stated. Remove Light Screen and take Focus Blast instead. I think Giga Drain is a better move for Abomasnow because it has many weaknesses and it needs to take a hit if you lead of with him and, for example, Meowstic.

Reuniclus: I suggest Focus Blast over Signal Beam and as Azire said maybe switch Signal Beam for Pain Split. Maybe even Gyro Ball to hit Fairy types? Small thing, youre missing one point in something. You have 248 HP and 252 SpAtk leaving 8 points. So 8 SpDef instead of 4 ;)

Whimsicott: As said, you might wanna switch it for Meowstic (m), it is a utility beast with screens, trick room, twave/toxic, and fake out. With Prankster!

Hariyama: The best Guts user is Conkeldurr leaving Machamp behind him. Conkeldurr as said has a better movepool and is a beast in doubles. Putting in work for the team. Priority Mach Punch, Drain punch for the recovery, Rock Slide hits both enemies and has a 30% chance to flinch and Detect because its more fun than Protect. The EVs on Conkeldurr can be changed to a bit more defenses so he can tank more hits, try testing different things

Porygon2: I have only seen Porygon2 in Singles so i dont think my opinion here is accurate for doubles but i'll give it a shot. Porygon2 has an amazing STAB move: Tri Attack. It does less damage on Blissey than Psyshock but i think you should consider using Tri Attack. Also i suggest using Download instead of Trace. It gives you more power for Porygon. Recover is also a great move on Porygon2 so maybe another set?

You made some points. I'll take your advice for abamasnow, use conkeldurr instead of hariyama, and give porygon2 download, but why use gyro ball on reuniclus? He's a special attacker, and focus blast has more coverage.

Anyway, thanks for your advice!

You made some points. I'll take your advice for abamasnow, use conkeldurr instead of hariyama, and give porygon2 download, but why use gyro ball on reuniclus? He's a special attacker, and focus blast has more coverage.

Anyway, thanks for your advice!
The gyro ball thing was just a thought not thinking it was a physical move :/ i was focused on speed and shit so i thought that Gyro Ball might work but yea... As i said i wasnt too focused on special/physical :P I just hate to get walled by Fairy types with there high SpDef and such :(

I need a fast pokemon. I'll attack when trick room isn't up, and use prankster-boosted status moves when it is.

Hi, Lucareon! This rate is gonna be pretty critical, but don't be offended because I'm just trying to help you out. :D

The very first thing I notice about your team is that you don't carry Protect; an exceptionally important move in the Doubles metagame due to the fact you have the ability to scout your opponent and you can screw up double targeting. You also have a highly noticeable Flying-type weakness as three members of your team are weak to Flying-type attacks and not one member of your team resists those attacks. There's no stopping Talonflame from absolutely wrecking your entire team, OHKOing Abomasnow with Flare Blitz and Whimsicott and Hariyama with Brave Bird. In my opinion, Whimsicott and Starmie really do not belong to this team; they are far too fast and you will barely benefit from them in Trick Room. I understand that you're attempting to take advantage of Starmie's Analytic ability, but Starmie should only be utilized as a fast special attacker, given its 115 Base Speed. Starmie is far too frail, and the fact you don't even carry a Focus Sash on it guarantees Starmie won't even be able to pull off an attack while it is inside Trick Room. Therefore, I suggest replacing Starmie for Jellicent; a pretty good TR attacker than can also set up Trick Room itself.

Jellicent @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Scald
- Shadow Ball
- Protect

Trick Room is a great option on Jellicent as it possesses bulk and an effective immunity to Fake Out. Scald is a pretty good STAB move that can potentialy cripple physical attackers such as Tyranitar, Bisharp, or Lando-T with the potential burn while STAB Shadow Ball allows for coverage against Psychic and Ghost-types such as Chandelure, a common threat to Trick Room team. Protect allows for scouting and gives Jellicent the chance to shield itself from devastating attacks that could possibly OHKO it, allowing its partner to take care of that certain threat. I cannot stress enough how important Protect is in the Doubles metagame; you will not win consistently without this move.

The sets you have on your Pokémon are pretty confusing. To start off, Abomasnow should have a Quiet Nature instead of a Modest nature to maximize the speed advantage he will have inside Trick Room. Also, why are you using Light Screen on Abomasnow when you're utilizing him as a special sweeper and not a supporter? With that said, replace Light Screen for Protect so that you can scout your opponent and evade lethal super-effective attacks while leaving your partner to take care of that specific threat. Your use of Water Pulse on Abomasnow is also questionable; it won't deal enough damage to make a significant impact against threats such as Fire-types. I suggest taking out Water Pulse for Ice Shard so that you have a nice priority move that can finish off weakened Pokémon whether in or outside of Trick Room. Finally, STAB Giga Drain > Energy Ball so that Abomasnow can possess a source of recovery to increase its survivability in battle, while also dealing a significant amount of damage. As for Reuniclus, the only change I would make here is to give him Focus Blast > Signal Beam for coverage against threats such as Bisharp and Mega-Tyranitar, and to provide your team with more coverage overall.

I'll be frank with you, Whimsicott was not made for Trick Room; it is far too fast and if it is being utilized for support, it's usually for speed advantage via Tailwind. I recommend switching Whimsicott for Rhyperior so that you can have one more physical TR attacker alongside Hariyama.

Rhyperior @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Solid Rock
Brave Nature
- Drill Run
- Rock Slide
- Megahorn
- Protect

The given EV spread allows Rhyperior to become a bulky offensive physical attacker that is difficult to take down. Thanks to his impressive bulk along with the Solid Rock ability, he can easily survive most super-effective attacks coming his way, allowing him to activate Weakness Policy and decimate with a +2 attack boost! STAB Drill Run is preferred over Earthquake in XY Doubles due to Wide Guard now being commonplace; Drill Run allows you to bypass and strike Wide Guard users such as Aegislash. STAB Rock Slide is a great spread move that allows Rhyperior to deal heavy damage to Flying, Bug, and Ice-types, notably OHKOing Mega-Charizard-Y, Talonflame, and 2HKOing Max HP Kyurem-B. Megahorn enables Rhyperior to have coverage against Psychic and Grass-types, inflicting significant damage to threats such as Cresselia while OHKOing Breloom (given it doesn't have a Focus Sash). Protect is obvious, shielding Rhyperior from an incoming Special Attack such as Hydro Pump and disrupting potential double targeting.

I'd also like to note Hariyama doesn't need EVs invested in HP as he already hits an outstanding 429 HP with 0 HP EVs. I highly suggest giving him a spread of 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def to allow Hariyama to become somewhat of a defensive wall that's tough to kill. Fling isn't very reliable; I understand you want to burn the opponent, but Hariyama should act as a physical sweeper, dealing as much damage as possible during Trick Room. Really, the only viable use for Fling is when it is paired with Iron Ball to deal powerful damage against Psychic-types and Ghost-types. Therefore, Fake Out > Fling as it allows Hariyama to provide immense help in enabling his partner to set up Trick Room by flinching a potentially devastating threat. Giga Impact is just not a good move; it's not even STAB and you just waste a turn recharging after dealing decent damage with it. Detect > Giga Impact for scouting of the opponent and protection against attacks that could possibly OHKO Hariyama.

Finally for Porygon2; I'd just like to make a few moveset changes. Toxic isn't a great move in Doubles because the metagame is far too fast-paced and it will take a while for the poison damage to make a significant impact in the course of the battle. I recommend replacing Toxic for Recover to keep Porygon2 on the field as long as possible, and thanks to its added bulk + Eviolite it will be a daunting challenge to defeat it. Since you already carry Psychic on Reuniclus, Psyshock should be replaced for STAB Tri Attack to allow Porygon2 to hit its opponents pretty hard in the situation it ends up getting Taunted.

Anyway, good luck with your team, man. :] If you need extra help for competitive battling, you should refer to the Battling 101 forum. Hope I helped!

Soooo thanks to all the input Pinoy gave, i have tried the team out a bit. I didnt see Hariyama working better than Conkeldurr so therefore i used this team to great succes. I only lost 1 game due to a stupid Shadow Tag, Perish Song team but the rest i managed to win :D

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Ice Shard
- Protect

Jellicent @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Scald
- Shadow Ball
- Protect

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
- Drill Run
- Rock Slide
- Megahorn
- Protect

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Trick Room

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Brave Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Rock Slide
- Detect

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Trick Room

Soooo thanks to all the input Pinoy gave, i have tried the team out a bit. I didnt see Hariyama working better than Conkeldurr so therefore i used this team to great succes. I only lost 1 game due to a stupid Shadow Tag, Perish Song team but the rest i managed to win :D

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Ice Shard
- Protect

Jellicent @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Scald
- Shadow Ball
- Protect

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
- Drill Run
- Rock Slide
- Megahorn
- Protect

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Trick Room

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Brave Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Rock Slide
- Detect

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Trick Room
Glad my suggestions worked out for you man. :D

http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue30/trickroom
Scroll down to "Semi-trick room" and you'll see the purpose
After reading the article, it is mentioned that a Level 1 Whimsicott with Endeavor should be utilized with a Focus Sash combination. Your use of Whimsicott in Trick Room is completely different and is more suited to being a support Pokémon outside of TR. I still believe Starmie in TR isn't a very good idea; you don't even carry a Focus Sash on her so slower Pokémon will outspeed and take her out before she even has an opportunity to attack.

Hey there, fun looking team. Most of what i'm was going to say has been said (also i use trick room in singles, so some of what I say may not apply), and I'm just going to throw in my two cents:

Get rid of starmie, it is counterproductive to use trick room to ensure analytic activates, because Starmie is pretty frail and you likely won't be living for too long. (Also questioning naive nature, since you don't run physical moves).

Abomasnow has a ton of weaknesses, so I suggest running a 252Atk/252Sp Atk/4 Somewhere else spread with either brave or quiet nature. Abomasnow has the potential to be a deadly mixed sweeper, and doesn't need to worry about lowering its defenses since Trick Room (and base-30 speed isn't outspeeding very much).

Conkeldurr outclasses Hariyama as a Guts booster, and Giga Impact is a strange choice.

I'm agreeing with Pinoy, there are better trick room setters than Whimsicott, Aromatisse may work in doubles because she can heal pulse her teammate back a ton of health, which helps conkeldurr not get work down too quickly by Burn residual, and just recovery in general.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)