VGC Rate my VGC16 Team

Hello, my team is not the best as of now but I'm hoping that some of you guys will be able to help me make it better, my team consists of these mons.

Kyogre @ Blue Orb
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Origin Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

Since you're allowed to bring two non mythical pokemon, I decided to bring Primal Kyogre as my first non mythical pokemon, after setting up a calm mind if I choose to do so, he can hit extremely hard especially with Origin Pulse his main STAB move, ice beam is there to take care of any grass type pokemon as he is 2x weak to them, thunder is there to deal some big damage to opposing primal Kyogre and in the rain has 100% accuracy. Kyogre is on the team to deal major damage and play the role of a water type pokemon.

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 96 SpD / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Precipice Blades
- Swords Dance
- Fire Punch

Since you're allowed to bring two non mythical pokemon, I decided to bring Primal Groudon as my second non mythical pokemon, after setting up a swords dance if I choose to do so which I do a lot of the time, Groudon can hit extremely hard, if another mon I had, had gravity, Groudon would be able to destroy and hit anyone extremely hard. Groudon is mainly used with Togekiss so that he can get a free swords dance up after Togekiss uses his follow me, with 2x attack he hits a lot of stuff extremely hard especially with those two STAB moves, thunder wave is there to slow down opponents and also paralyze them. Groudon is sometimes used with venusaur to power up his moves and stats, but that's only when an opposing team has a grass/poison weakness. I also might make a new pokemon with gravity so that Groudon can hit anything with those precipice blades. Groudon is on my team to deal major damage and take on the role of a fire pokemon.

Venusaur Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Solar Beam
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

Venusaur is used to take care of any fairy type pokemon I have to deal with as he is the only mon I have to deal super effective STAB attacks, Venusaur with chlorophyll used with Groudon's Intense Sun makes him 2x faster and able to outspeed a ton of different mons, solar beam is really strong and in the sun has no charge up time, sludge bomb is there to take care of any fairy types as it's my main fairy destroyer, sleep powder is used to put any potential threats to sleep unless it misses. Venusaur is only used with Groudon and takes on the role of a poison and grass type on my team.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Garchomp is there to deal damage when switching in on physical attackers, the rough skin and rocky helmet deals a great deal of damage. Garchomp is not really used but he is there to take down some physical attackers with that rough skin and rocky helmet combo, earthquake is his strongest ground move and with STAB can destroy a good variety of mons, dragon claw is there to take care of any dragon type threats that may face him, rock slide is there to take care of any flying types as they are immune to his main STAB move. Garchomp plays the role of a Dragon type on my team but is also there to switch in on physical attackers.

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Power-Up Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Fake Out

Kangaskhan is there to hit super hard with parental bond allowing him to hit 1.5x harder than normal, since Kangaskhan hits twice, power-up punch gets double the boost and allows him to hit extremely hard. Kangaskhan is my main mega pokemon, he's there to switch in and get a free flinch and with that parental bond he is able to hit 1.5x harder, power up punch is used to bring up his attack twice and hit normal types hard. Whenever I switch into Kangaskhan I get a free flinch on whichever mon I choose which can be very helpful, he can also deal tremendous amounts of damage when needed.

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 236 HP / 192 Def / 20 SpD / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Follow Me
- Tailwind
- Roost

Togekiss is there to help my mons setup such as Groudon with his swords dance taking the attention off of him and allowing him to setup freely with follow me, he can also be used to para flinch pokes that may be easily taken down by him. Togekiss is there to provide coverage for it's teammate but can also be used to para flinch mons.

I'm hoping that you guys can give me some suggestions on what to fix/replace. Basically what I want to do is improve my team including switching out pokemon to benefit each other better and also changing move sets/items and all that. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello, my team is not the best as of now but I'm hoping that some of you guys will be able to help me make it better, my team consists of these mons.

Kyogre @ Blue Orb
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Origin Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

Since you're allowed to bring two non mythical pokemon, I decided to bring Primal Kyogre as my first non mythical pokemon, after setting up a calm mind if I choose to do so, he can hit extremely hard especially with Origin Pulse his main STAB move, ice beam is there to take care of any grass type pokemon as he is 2x weak to them, thunder is there to deal some big damage to opposing primal Kyogre and in the rain has 100% accuracy. Kyogre is on the team to deal major damage and play the role of a water type pokemon.

Groudon @ Red Orb
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 96 SpD / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Precipice Blades
- Swords Dance
- Fire Punch

Since you're allowed to bring two non mythical pokemon, I decided to bring Primal Groudon as my second non mythical pokemon, after setting up a swords dance if I choose to do so which I do a lot of the time, Groudon can hit extremely hard, if another mon I had, had gravity, Groudon would be able to destroy and hit anyone extremely hard. Groudon is mainly used with Togekiss so that he can get a free swords dance up after Togekiss uses his follow me, with 2x attack he hits a lot of stuff extremely hard especially with those two STAB moves, thunder wave is there to slow down opponents and also paralyze them. Groudon is sometimes used with venusaur to power up his moves and stats, but that's only when an opposing team has a grass/poison weakness. I also might make a new pokemon with gravity so that Groudon can hit anything with those precipice blades. Groudon is on my team to deal major damage and take on the role of a fire pokemon.

Venusaur Life Orb
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Solar Beam
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

Venusaur is used to take care of any fairy type pokemon I have to deal with as he is the only mon I have to deal super effective STAB attacks, Venusaur with chlorophyll used with Groudon's Intense Sun makes him 2x faster and able to outspeed a ton of different mons, solar beam is really strong and in the sun has no charge up time, sludge bomb is there to take care of any fairy types as it's my main fairy destroyer, sleep powder is used to put any potential threats to sleep unless it misses. Venusaur is only used with Groudon and takes on the role of a poison and grass type on my team.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Garchomp is there to deal damage when switching in on physical attackers, the rough skin and rocky helmet deals a great deal of damage. Garchomp is not really used but he is there to take down some physical attackers with that rough skin and rocky helmet combo, earthquake is his strongest ground move and with STAB can destroy a good variety of mons, dragon claw is there to take care of any dragon type threats that may face him, rock slide is there to take care of any flying types as they are immune to his main STAB move. Garchomp plays the role of a Dragon type on my team but is also there to switch in on physical attackers.

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Power-Up Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Fake Out

Kangaskhan is there to hit super hard with parental bond allowing him to hit 1.5x harder than normal, since Kangaskhan hits twice, power-up punch gets double the boost and allows him to hit extremely hard. Kangaskhan is my main mega pokemon, he's there to switch in and get a free flinch and with that parental bond he is able to hit 1.5x harder, power up punch is used to bring up his attack twice and hit normal types hard. Whenever I switch into Kangaskhan I get a free flinch on whichever mon I choose which can be very helpful, he can also deal tremendous amounts of damage when needed.

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 236 HP / 192 Def / 20 SpD / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Follow Me
- Tailwind
- Roost

Togekiss is there to help my mons setup such as Groudon with his swords dance taking the attention off of him and allowing him to setup freely with follow me, he can also be used to para flinch pokes that may be easily taken down by him. Togekiss is there to provide coverage for it's teammate but can also be used to para flinch mons.

I'm hoping that you guys can give me some suggestions on what to fix/replace. Basically what I want to do is improve my team including switching out pokemon to benefit each other better and also changing move sets/items and all that. Thanks!
Hey Milad :D
This is a really creative team, with some VGC '15-esque choices that I think are pretty cool. I'll cover your teambuilding choices in this rate and give you some advice on what you could do with this team to optimise it for this year's metagame, as well as just some general advice on VGC teambuilding overall.

So first off, the double primal archetype that you are using is a very common and powerful combination of restricted pokemon that have a lot of flexibility in battle and when it comes to teambuilding. We have seen some very successful renditions of this archetype as this year has progressed, and so I decided to make a 'framework' for teams like this by using these sample teams. This framework should help you build double primal teams in future and will help you to understand my suggestions further on in this rate:

1. Groudon - Usually slow and bulky for use in TR, although Chuppa's Team (as well as others) uses fast groudon as his team does not contain a trick room user. Bulkier adamant groudon spreads can also be used if relevant speed control is available, e.g. icy wind

2. Kyogre - Usually Modest and bulky for use under both TR and tailwind, although fast kyogre does see some usage

3. Primal Support/Speed Control - This slot should aim to aid in the primal mirror, so moves such as skill swap see a lot of usage here. Speed control is very necessary for the primals because of their middling speed, so Trick Room, Thunder Wave or Tailwind support is really appreciated. Gravity support is also much appreciated due to precipice blades and origin pulse's low accuracy. Examples: Cresselia/Bronzong/Gengar

4. Mega - As usual, this team needs a mega. Fake out support is appreciated if running TR, so Kangaskhan is really useful. Mega Mawile sees a lot of usage as it provides intimidate support as well as leverage against mega rayquaza and xerneas, and Mega Salamence also provides intimidate support and can help against rayquaza and primal groudon.

5. Set-up Support/Fast Mode/Secondary Mega - This can vary from team to team, although most top cut teams have seen use of Smeargle, who provides dark void pressure and set up support (both scarf and sash variants), Amoonguss, who again provides redirection support and Mega Salamence has also seen usage in top cut in 2 sample teams as a secondary mega, helping the matchup versus primal groudon and rayquaza further.

6. Speed Control (Tailwind/Thunder Wave)/Fast Mode/Offensive Support - The last slot is usually a secondary form of speed control, although other options are seldom included. Thundurus is an extremely splashable choice here, as a lead of groudon+thundurus can handle many leads from the standard big 6 archetype, bar kangaskhan+smeargle (if thundurus lacks protect), and kangaskhan+talonflame (if talonflame outspeeds thundurus and can OHKO it in sun w/ Flare Blitz). Other good choices here include talonflame, zapdos and even crobat.

PokeAlex's Double Primal Team

Aaron Zheng's Double Primal Team [Importable]

Jamie Boyt's Double Primal Team [Analysis]

Chuppa Cross' Team

SamVGC's Team

Just a quick note about these sample teams, you may notice that a lot of them use mega salamence, which is arguably the best mega for the double primal archetype. It gets access to powerful mixed offenses as well as the intimidate ability, which makes it a good counter to a lot of primary threats to double primal teams, such as groudon, yveltal and mega rayquaza based teams. It may be worth considering salamence over garchomp, which I'll cover later on.

Some general advice for teambuilding would be to consider using protect on more of your pokemon. As I'm sure you are aware, protect gives you a defensive option to use in doubles, which may be crucial to your team's success if you are facing heavy offensive pressure. Fake out is another reason to have protect, so on redirection users, like your togekiss, it would definitely be worth considering. Apart from this point, I can see that you put a lot of thought into your teambuilding, but I would suggest looking at some current trends in the metagame; look on nugget bridge and other relevant websites for more information.
Here's a link to my teambuilding frameworks which you may find useful:
www.nuggetbridge.com/blogs/entry/1395-teambuilding-frameworks-discussion-update/

Moving onto your team, I notice that both of your primals have a stat boosting move. In VGC, games are very fast paced, and in most cases primals only have a stat boosting move if their partner can generate free turns. In the case of your team, I think would be wise for your kyogre to run protect over calm mind, and for groudon to run protect over rock polish. The set that you are currently running is smogon's recommended set for a single battle format, which is not as viable in VGC.

My recommended kyogre set is as follows:

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 76 SpA / 4 SpD / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Origin Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Thunder / Water Spout

Just to quickly summarize, the SpA investment reaches an 11n number of 231, which gives kyogre what is called an EV 'bump', essentially giving it an extra point in SpA (68 EVs gives a special attack stat of 229)
The rest of the EVs are distributed initially into HP and bulk, but kyogre wants to speed creep other kyogre, so 52 EVs in speed should allow you to outspeed the majority of other primal kyogre.
76 SpA will also allow kyogre's water spout to OHKO 4 HP Kangaskhan on a switch in if you decide to run it.

As for groudon, I see that you have also used a smogon set for single battles, so here is my suggested set for VGC:

Groudon @ Red Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly
Nature
- Protect
- Precipice Blades
- Swords Dance
- Fire Punch

I would say that swords dance is worth keeping on groudon, as venusaur will allow free sleep turns with sleep powder for groudon to utilize swords dance. When using groudon on a team with fast paced speed control, like tailwind, it is more optimal to use max speed groudon, so this is the standard set for a fast groudon. This also allows you to 2HKO 4 HP Xerneas as well as to take 2 Dazzling Gleams.

As for the rest of your team, I think there are some ways you can improve your back 4.
The first would be to consider your mega options.
As previously mentioned, Mega Salamence would do a fantastic job on a double primal team like this, so for now I would recommend using this over garchomp so that the team has a counter to primal groudon, yveltal and mega rayquaza etc.
The next thing I would do is use Mega Venusaur over venusaur. This gives you the option to use venusaur in rain (as well as still using chlorophyll in sun), which means it can operate as an excellent counter to primal kyogre. Unfortunately this would mean the team has 3 megas, which is unviable.
A solution to this would be to swap kangaskhan out to Weavile, who retains kangaskhan's fake out support but also gives the team a lead against opposing RayOgre teams in Mega Salamence+Weavile, which the team sorely needs.
Togekiss can definitely remain on the team, as it gives you another option against Yveltal, but if you want to explore other options then Thundurus would be worth looking into.

Mega Salamence

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 100 Atk / 156 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Hyper Voice
- Draco Meteor / Tailwind
- Protect

This is my standard mega salamence set. It allows you to KO yveltal with a combination of hyper voice and double-edge, as well as being able to KO 12 HP / 4 SpD groudon with Hyper Voice+Draco Meteor, which is pretty cool. Tailwind salamence is another option for extra speed control if you choose to run something without tailwind over togekiss, like thundurus.

Mega Venusaur

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
EVs: 220 HP / 76 Def / 108 SpA / 20 SpD / 84 Spe
Bold Nature
- Grass Knot
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect / Leech Seed

Gary Qian used a similar set at US Nats this year. This set is kind of a mish-mash of both regular venusaur and mega venusaur in one (so that the double mega option is a lot more flexible). Basically, the speed allows you to out-pace 252 Spe scarf kyurem-white whilst in sun, with the rest in bulk and offense to reach the following benchmarks:
  • 76+ SpA Primal Kyogre Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 220 HP / 20 SpD Mega Venusaur in Heavy Rain: 76-90 (41.5 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 220 HP / 76+ Def Mega Venusaur: 76-91 (41.5 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 220 HP / 76+ Def Mega Venusaur: 151-182 (82.5 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ SpA Primal Groudon Eruption (150 BP) vs. 220 HP / 20 SpD Thick Fat Mega Venusaur in Harsh Sun: 152-180 (83 - 98.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Weavile

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Feint

Pretty standard weavile set, knock off is brilliant for the spike in usage of bronzong and cresselia etc. Weavile also helps out quite a bit against yveltal teams, as well as gravity gimmicks (with fake out).
Nothing too fancy here, however weavile is a very strong support option for your team that fills kangaskhan's role quite nicely.

Togekiss

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 236 HP / 92 Def / 76 SpA / 100 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm
Nature
- Air Slash
- Follow Me
- Tailwind
- Protect

This set reaches a couple more defensive benchmarks than your current set does, but apart from that it's pretty similar:
  • 252 Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 236 HP / 92 Def Togekiss: 161-191 (84.7 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
  • +2 252 SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 236 HP / 100+ SpD Togekiss: 162-192 (85.2 - 101%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
  • 252 SpA Primal Kyogre Origin Pulse vs. 236 HP / 100+ SpD Togekiss in Heavy Rain: 100-118 (52.6 - 62.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery
Togekiss is a great yveltal check, but since you may have both salamence and weavile, thundurus would be a great option to consider:

Thundurus (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 236 HP / 36 Def / 4 SpA / 132 SpD / 100 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Protect

This is a pretty satisfying thundurus EV spread imo, as it fulfills a bunch of defensive benchmarks, as well as activating sitrus berry after crobat's super fang:
  • 252+ SpA Primal Kyogre Ice Beam vs. 236 HP / 132 SpD Thundurus: 148-176 (80.4 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery
  • 252+ SpA Primal Kyogre Origin Pulse vs. 236 HP / 132 SpD Thundurus in Heavy Rain: 153-180 (83.1 - 97.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery
  • 252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 236 HP / 36 Def Thundurus: 191-226 (103.8 - 122.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery
  • 252 Atk Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 236 HP / 36 Def Thundurus: 82-97 (44.5 - 52.7%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery
  • +2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Dazzling Gleam vs. 236 HP / 132 SpD Thundurus: 154-183 (83.6 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery

So that's about it! Hope I've been able to help you out, and best of luck in VGC :)

Importable:
http://pastebin.com/njiWwgkj

Breeding a lot of this over the next few days, might even buy a powersaves device to make it easier, thanks for your response it has helped me learn a lot :)

Breeding a lot of this over the next few days, might even buy a powersaves device to make it easier, thanks for your response it has helped me learn a lot :)
The VGC 16 ladder has unfortunately gone down in this new season in case you were thinking of running the team online. I still don't know why they decided to delete the ladder a month or so before worlds, but showdown is kinda now the place to battle if you want to try out the team :)

I have a VGC16 style battle hosted on a sub reddit so that's is why I was interested in building a team like this, I also love battling on showdown so I'll probably use this team on there too.

The VGC 16 ladder has unfortunately gone down in this new season in case you were thinking of running the team online. I still don't know why they decided to delete the ladder a month or so before worlds, but showdown is kinda now the place to battle if you want to try out the team :)
Is there anyway that you could take out togekiss and replace it with a good Clefairy HA set, I think that it would be a better change as clefairy can learn both Helping hand, Follow me, and it can even learn encore, and some other great supportive moves, I'm not too worried about the groudon outspeeding anymore, after using this team for awhile I found that I outsped a decent amount of mons without the tailwind. Thanks.

I'm thinking a Bold/Calm Nature, holding an Eviolite, Friend Guard HA, with heal pulse, follow me, helping hand, and as for a fourth move I don't know (Maybe Icy Wind as he gets destroyed by taunt but I don't know). 0IVs in Attack to lower confusion damage and I dont know about EVs but none in attack/sp attack/speed.

Last edited:
Clefairy is a great pick on this team :)
You may find it fun to experiment with slightly more bulky groudon spreads, so that it can survive stuff like an earth power from opposing groudon whilst under the protection of friend guard, but firstly onto clefairy:

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Friend Guard
EVs: 236 HP / 84 Def / 188 SpD
Calm / Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Moonblast / Icy Wind
- Follow Me
- Helping Hand
- Icy Wind / Heal Pulse / After You

So for this set, I wanted to try to cooperate what you've said with a set that I think is the most competitively viable. One of togekiss' most important roles was to check Yveltal, so what clefairy can bring is an attack in Moonblast to deliver some decent damage to opposing Yveltal, as well as some other pretty cool features.
The EV spread allows Clefairy to reach some good benchmarks:
  • 252 Atk Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 236 HP / 84 Def Eviolite Clefairy: 74-87 (42.2 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • +2 252 SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 236 HP / 188+ SpD Eviolite Clefairy: 147-174 (84 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 172 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 236 HP / 84 Def Eviolite Clefairy: 145-172 (82.8 - 98.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ SpA Primal Kyogre Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 236 HP / 188+ SpD Eviolite Clefairy in Heavy Rain: 136-162 (77.7 - 92.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Primal Groudon Fire Punch vs. 236 HP / 84 Def Eviolite Clefairy in Harsh Sun: 138-163 (78.8 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Icy wind on clefairy will not be stopped by taunt since it is a special attack, and will work well on this team as speed control. If you want to run heal pulse in this spot, then feel free to experiment with it since I think it may be useful. After You is an interesting pick on this set imo since it will allow clefairy to function as a trick room counter, allowing your team to succeed inside the conditions (when using the move on , as it is a pretty big threat to the team as it is now. The Sassy nature and 0 Spe IVs will allow Clefairy to function optimally as a TR check.
If you feel as though both after you and icy wind are appropriate, then both can be run on the same set for multiple speed control options (keep the sassy nature in this case).
I would personally run moonblast/follow me/helping hand/icy wind to start with and then experiment with extra speed control options to see what fits your personal preference.

Because you are removing a tailwind setter in togekiss, it would be wise to run tailwind (over draco meteor) on your salamence, and give it a spread of 4 HP / 100 Atk / 4 Def / 148 SpA / 252 Spe so that it reaches the benchmark for KOing 4 HP yveltal with double-edge and hyper voice, whilst giving an extra point in HP and Def.

Otherwise, you might want to experiment with stuff like bulkier groudon, so that it can do some cool stuff with icy wind. Here is my favourite bulky groudon spread:

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 220 HP / 156 Atk / 12 Def / 100 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Precipice Blades
- Swords Dance / Substitute / Rock Tomb
- Fire Punch

I absolutely adore this spread, since all of its invested EVs reach a specific goal for groudon, so that it can function optimally (which makes it really mathematically satisfying, if that's even a thing):
  • 252 SpA Primal Groudon Earth Power vs. 220 HP / 100 SpD Primal Groudon: 168-200 (82.7 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ SpA Primal Groudon Earth Power vs. 220 HP / 100 SpD Primal Groudon: 139-163 (68.4 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (under friend guard)
  • 252 Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 220 HP / 12 Def Primal Groudon: 174-206 (85.7 - 101.4%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO (survives 14/16 times)
  • 236 Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 220 HP / 12 Def Primal Groudon: 170-204 (83.7 - 100.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO (survives 15/16 times) - This is a commonly invested amount of attack EVs on groudon
  • 252 SpA Mega Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 220 HP / 100 SpD Primal Groudon: 102-121 (50.2 - 59.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Aerilate Mega Salamence Hyper Voice vs. 220 HP / 100 SpD Primal Groudon: 69-82 (33.9 - 40.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • *** Survives Hyper Voice + Draco Meteor from 252 SpA Mega Salamence
  • Outspeeds -1 252+ Spe Mega Kangaskhan after an Icy Wind
  • 156+ Atk reaches an 11n number, giving it an extra point in Atk
If you want to capitalize on icy wind, then a cool thing that you can do is to also run icy wind on your kyogre. Here is a cool sample set:

Kyogre @ Blue Orb
EVs: 140 HP / 172 Def / 60 SpA / 4 SpD / 132 Spe
Bold Nature
- Origin Pulse
- Thunder
- Icy Wind
- Protect

This spread still retains a good amount of power without the positive nature, and will allow Kyogre to make jolly Groudon's precipice blades a 3HKO, as well as outspeeding Mega Salamence after an Icy Wind.
Something to note about these bulky primal spreads is that kyogre will be faster than groudon, meaning if both have to be sent out at the same time (i.e if you have them in the back of your selected 4), then kyogre will be in sun, which is not ideal. There are solutions to this along the lines of under speeding groudon whilst outspeeding kangaskhan, but I think that these current bulky options still work very well.

Here is an importable version of the current team:

Code:
Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb 
Ability: Primordial Sea 
EVs: 140 HP / 172 Def / 60 SpA / 4 SpD / 132 Spe 
Bold Nature 
- Origin Pulse 
- Thunder 
- Icy Wind 
- Protect 

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb 
EVs: 220 HP / 156 Atk / 12 Def / 100 SpD / 20 Spe 
Adamant Nature 
- Precipice Blades 
- Fire Punch 
- Swords Dance 
- Protect 

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite 
EVs: 220 HP / 76 Def / 108 SpA / 20 SpD / 84 Spe 
Bold Nature 
- Grass Knot 
- Sleep Powder 
- Sludge Bomb 
- Protect 

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite 
Ability: Aerilate 
EVs: 4 HP / 100 Atk / 4 Def / 148 SpA / 252 Spe 
Naive Nature 
- Double-Edge 
- Hyper Voice 
- Tailwind 
- Protect 

Weavile @ Focus Sash 
Ability: Pressure 
Jolly Nature 
- Fake Out 
- Icicle Crash 
- Knock Off 
- Feint 

Clefairy @ Eviolite 
Ability: Friend Guard 
EVs: 236 HP / 84 Def / 188 SpD 
Calm Nature 
- Moonblast 
- Follow Me 
- Helping Hand 
- Icy Wind

Draconid's made some good suggestions. I'd go with what he's suggesting on the Kyogre spreads and movesets.

As for Primal Groudon, go with Draconid's moveset, but the EV spread I prefer is 60HP/4Def/188Atk/4SpD/252Spe as this spread makes Hyper Voice from Mega Salamence a guaranteed 3HKO (bar crits) under spread damage. I got this spread from a friend of mine who earned a Day 2 Worlds invite in the Seniors division.

I'm not a fan of Venusaur/Mega Venusaur and although it saw some success at US Nationals this year I don't like that Sludge Bomb isn't a guaranteed OHKO onto Xerneas, the most threatening Fairy in the metagame.

252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas: 190-226 (94 - 111.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

It's worth keeping in mind that most Xerneas these days carry bulk too, so that chance to OHKO is even lower or possibly doesn't exist.

252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. +2 4 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas: 96-117 (47.5 - 57.9%) -- 87.5% chance to 2HKO

If you can't stop it from getting a Geomancy up, it definitely won't KO. For this reason and that Ice Beam/Fire Punch from the Primals are going to do a lot to it (this is probably why you'd want to go Mega if you use it for Thick Fat) I don't like using Venusaur in this meta.

So, I'll suggest something that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Bronzong @ Lum Berry/Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate/Heatproof
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Trick Room
- Skill Swap/Gravity
- Safeguard/Hypnosis/Imprison

Bronzong is a pretty solid answer to Xerneas in that it can set up Trick Room and hit it hard with Gyro Ball. The nice thing about Gyro Ball is that it does MORE damage when Geomancy goes up instead of less like on Mega Venusaur. It was seen a lot at US Nationals; it had a number of appearances in top cut [Leonard Craft III (Top 8), Grant Weldon (Top 4), Aaron Trayor (2nd), Michael Lanzano (Top 8), Conan Thompson (Top 12), Jake Skurchak (Top 12), and Rajan Bal (Top 12)]. Gravity/Hypnosis can be a deadly and annoying combination paired with the Primals' inaccurate moves. Skill swap/Safeguard is a more defensive route to help manage the weather and fend off Smeargle. Imprison was used by Grant Weldon as a neat way to counter Cresselia with Trick Room and Skill Swap to further his control of the weather with both of his Primals. It pairs really well with the Primal Pokemon along with Mega Kangaskhan. With Bronzong you can opt to run a slower spread on some Pokemon like Primal Kyogre and invest more into bulk. The EV spread is something I came up with, I use it on my Bronzong and I originally had done some calculations but I can't remember what they were though it still works for me. Feel free to mess around with the EV spread.

Draconid's recommendation of Clefairy > Togekiss is fine, and you seem to be good with it. It could pair well with Bronzong in that it's fairly slow and can function under Trick Room. Pretty cool, actually.

I would recommend Mega Salamence > Garchomp. Garchomp struggles against Xerneas and Kyogre pretty badly, and it's a worse version of Landorus-Therian that doesn't get an immunity to Ground (which is huge in this meta with Primal Groudon) and doesn't get Intimidate. Earlier years of VGC usually had Garchomp usage due to Landorus-Therian being unavailable that year (VGC14 comes to mind). Draconid's set on Mega Salamence is fine, but I would recommend Tailwind over Draco Meteor for the speed control. With Tailwind the team becomes a TailRoom (Tailwind/Trick Room) team with options of going slow or fast depending on what you need. Draco Meteor does chunk at things like Primal Groudon though Hyper Voice already does that and you have other ways of dealing with Dragons (which is this meta is really just Mega Salamence and Mega Rayquaza) on the team already in Primal Kyogre's Ice Beam and Clefairy's Moonblast.

Last edited:
The other guys are making good suggestions. I'd go with what they're suggesting on the Kyogre spreads and movesets.

As for Primal Groudon, go with Draconid's moveset, but the EV spread I prefer is 60HP/4Def/188Atk/4SpD/252Spe as this spread makes Hyper Voice from Mega Salamence a guaranteed 3HKO (bar crits) under spread damage. I got this spread from a friend of mine who earned a Day 2 Worlds invite in the Seniors division.

I'm not a fan of Venusaur/Mega Venusaur and although it saw some success at US Nationals this year I don't like that Sludge Bomb isn't a guaranteed OHKO onto Xerneas, the most threatening Fairy in the metagame.

252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas: 190-226 (94 - 111.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

It's worth keeping in mind that most Xerneas these days carry bulk too, so that chance to OHKO is even lower or possibly doesn't exist.

252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. +2 4 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas: 96-117 (47.5 - 57.9%) -- 87.5% chance to 2HKO

If you can't stop it from getting a Geomancy up, it definitely won't KO. For this reason and that Ice Beam/Fire Punch from the Primals are going to do a lot to it (this is probably why you'd want to go Mega if you use it for Thick Fat) I don't like using Venusaur in this meta.

Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Trick Room
- Skill Swap/Gravity

Bronzong is a pretty solid answer to Xerneas in that it can set up Trick Room and hit it hard with Gyro Ball. The nice thing about Gyro Ball is that it does MORE damage when Geomancy goes up instead of less like on Mega Venusaur. It was seen a lot at US Nationals; it had a number of appearances in top cut [Leonard Craft III (Top 8), Grant Weldon (Top 4), Aaron Trayor (2nd), Michael Lanzano (Top 8), Conan Thompson (Top 12), Jake Skurchak (Top 12), and Rajan Bal (Top 12)]. Gravity/Hypnosis can be a deadly and annoying combination paired with the Primals' inaccurate moves. Skill swap/Safeguard is a more defensive route to help manage the weather and fend off Smeargle. Imprison was used by Grant Weldon as a neat way to counter Cresselia with Trick Room and Skill Swap to further his control of the weather with both of his Primals. It pairs really well with the Primal Pokemon along with Mega Kangaskhan. With Bronzong you can opt to run a slower spread on some Pokemon like Primal Kyogre and invest more into bulk. The EV spread is something I came up with, I use it on my Bronzong and I originally had done some calculations but I can't remember what they were though it still works for me. Feel free to mess around with the EV spread.

Draconid's recommendation of Clefairy > Togekiss is fine, and you seem to be good with it. It could pair well with Bronzong in that it's fairly slow and can function under Trick Room. Pretty cool, actually.

I would recommend Mega Salamence > Garchomp. Garchomp struggles against Xerneas and Kyogre pretty badly, and it's a worse version of Landorus-Therian that doesn't get an immunity to Ground (which is huge in this meta with Primal Groudon) and doesn't get Intimidate. Earlier years of VGC usually had Garchomp usage due to Landorus-Therian being unavailable that year (VGC14 comes to mind). Draconid's set on Mega Salamence is fine, but I would recommend Tailwind over Draco Meteor for the speed control. With Tailwind the team becomes a TailRoom (Tailwind/Trick Room) team with options of going slow or fast depending on what you need. Draco Meteor does chunk at things like Primal Groudon though Hyper Voice already does that and you have other ways of dealing with Dragons (which is this meta is really just Mega Salamence and Mega Rayquaza) on the team already in Primal Kyogre's Ice Beam and Clefairy's Moonblast.
Another awesome rate man, keep up the quality :)
Just a short reply:
I would definitely agree with the switch to bronzong, it would be a much safer pick for the team and would certainly be easier to use. Mega venusaur is mentioned in my rates as a way to keep the team's original theme, but I would definitely have to agree with the bronzong switch for consistency and to make the team stronger overall.

Whether or not you decide to run more speed on your groudon is completely up to you, but I would have to say that the 20 speed groudon set would work better with the team's current speed control options imo.

Another awesome rate man, keep up the quality :)
Just a short reply:
I would definitely agree with the switch to bronzong, it would be a much safer pick for the team and would certainly be easier to use. Mega venusaur is mentioned in my rates as a way to keep the team's original theme, but I would definitely have to agree with the bronzong switch for consistency and to make the team stronger overall.

Whether or not you decide to run more speed on your groudon is completely up to you, but I would have to say that the 20 speed groudon set would work better with the team's current speed control options imo.
Yea I think I'm switching to bronzong too, doesn't take up a potential mega slot and still has the power to take down xerneas and help my team out in the long run. Also thanks for the clefairy suggestion, will be putting that set to use ;)

The other guys are making good suggestions. I'd go with what they're suggesting on the Kyogre spreads and movesets.

Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Trick Room
- Skill Swap/Gravity

Definitely making that switch to bronzong, thanks for the recommendation, he could put in better work than venusaur and he doesn't take up a mega slot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)