Rate what the user above you is listening to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple as that. Grade the link for the song in the post above yours on whatever scale you want. Try to provide a brief description on why you liked or disliked the the song. Then post the name of a song you are currently listening to, the artist who made it, and a link to the song.

Rules:
1. Don't post unless you both rate the song above you and provide your own link to a new song. Addressing other people in the thread is fine, but it can become a clusterfuck if you don't do both things.
2. Don't bash other people's tastes in music. If you don't like a song, thats fine, but "all hip-hop/metal/pop/etc sux" is not an acceptable explanation.
3. Conversely, don't get offended if someone dislikes your taste in music. Someone didn't like your favorite band, there is no reason to get upset about it.
4. If your post is going to take a while to type out make a placeholder post then edit in the actual content to avoid ninjas. Thanks for the tip monkfish!
5. 1 placeholder post out at a time. If there is a placeholder out already, DO NOT make another one please >_<

Ok I'll start us off. Funkadelic- Maggot Brain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12pywl9zNIE

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Maggot Brain is pretty legendary. The guitar solo iirc being the result of George Clinton telling the guitarist to imagine his mother had just died. You can really feel the passion in it. unfortunately, this really is just a ten minute long guitar solo which, if you aren't in the proper mood for it, will get dull and boring.

My contribution: Frightened Rabbit - Nothing Like You

song from the Scottish band's 2010 album "Winter of Mixed Drinks." The album itself was one of my favorites, representing a kind of redemption after the incredibly depressing "Midnight Organ Fight" (best euphemism for sex ever) whose most uplifting sentiment was "Guess I'll save suicide for another day." In "Nothing Like You," the band finds redemption in the comfort of a girl who is "nothing like" the girl haunting Midnight Organ Fight. What I like most about this song is that, while it could easily fall into cloying sappiness or just physical escapism (something discussed in other Frightened Rabbit songs), Nothing Like You notes that "She was not a cure for cancer/and all my questions still ask for answers" but "Something in me was not the same." It's a great musical representation of the healing process after a lengthy and hard breakup, and the track burst with energy to keep the momentum going.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
(suggestion: to avoid ninja-ing, make a placeholder post if you think you are going to be writing for a while)

I really liked the instrumental, but I'm not really liking the vocals. I'll definitely check out more songs by the band another time, as I was really impressed. I dunno, I wasn't paying too close attention to the lyrics, which seems like a major mistake on my part considering your post, but what I did actually listen to, I did like.

Reposting The General - Dispatch As it was so RUDELY DELETED :D

To copy evan's layout, I haven't listened to much Dispatch as I don't listen to much music in the first place, but this song is what got me hooked. I like the pacifist/hippy message, easy to learn lyrics (I think learned it after maybe 3 listens) and it's simplicity. I'd be lying if I hadn't sung this to myself in the shower :/

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
the lyrics are quite beautiful. he has a great voice. it puts war into perspective a bit. i love the erratic guitar, it really puts together the lyrics; it's so simple, yet it's really all you need to back them up. i think my favorite part is the chorus; "you are a young man, you must be living" i like this line because it...how do i put this into words...it's like you are a young man with your whole life ahead of you, you must be really happy, but no, i'm fighting a war, i'm not living. good song.

Infinity Guitars

i really like this song it blends everything that is good about music; awesome guitar, great lyrics, a nice beat, and its loud as fuck.

Honestly, when I first heard Infinity Guitars I didn't like it that much. I didn't dislike it, it was just kind of meh. But when I started typing this, I had to go back and listen to it again and again. I really liked the guitar and the beat, and her voice grew on me after listening to it a few times. I'm having a really hard time not blasting this song, since it's only 6:15am.

Well here is my song:Five Finger Death Punch - No One Gets Left Behind

MK Ultra

BOOGEYMAN
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Dmtc: I like the song, though I feel it is a little repetitive and uninventive. I also dislike the growling, but that's just my taste. For the most part, the lyrical themes are good, but more inspiration is needed: 'have you no backbone, have you no spine'.

NB: any time I do this in the future (including this time) it will be whatever iTunes gives me. And that is Metallica's Creeping Death. CD is my favourite Metallica song, and possibly my favourite song atm.

Edit @ Xaqwais: I feel 1 is enough, but I knew someone else would have done if I hadn't.

Proposing that we have a limit on how many place holders we can have at once. A place holder post of a place holder is enough, I think.

Ride the Lightning is my favorite Metallica album, and Creeping Death is a very strong cut from it. The solos are great, as is the main riff. The particular live performance in your link is a quality one, everyone is playing tight and both the crowd and the band seem to be into it.

Trophy Scars- Nausea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI4mCtOeFEE

The first real cut from their amazing 2010 ep, Darkness, Oh Hell. One of the best moments on the ep (and there lots of great moments) is when the guitar first comes in on Nausea with the trumpets blaring over it. Be warned though; the vocals are.... different. However if you can get past that, which isn't hard as the vocals do add a unique flavor to the album, Nausea, and all of Darkness, Oh Hell is an amazing experience.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Pretty good, I dig the guitars in the beginning. Vocals are kind of laced with the guttural noises of somebody doing some screamo stuff, though. It's not horrible. But aside from that, really cool instrumental stuff going on. I dig. When he starts whispering/talking low is really neat, and from then on badass instrumental and vocal sample at the end.

Gouryella-Walhalla

Old School trance from Gouryella, a combo group of the masters Ferry Corsten and DJ Tiësto. Probably not for everybody, but one of my favorite songs of all time. (picks up at 2:20 if you don't feel like listening to all the buildup)

I'm usually into trance and the like, but I guess this wasn't crazy enough for me. It felt more like one of those DDR songs with a pace change during the piano section. I guess it missed the soft electronic music that I like to listen to and the crazyish electronic music. It seemed it's right in the middle, unfortunately.

Of Montreal - Wraith Pinned to the Mist and Other Things

My friend is a huge Of Montreal fan, and I can see why. They're easy to listen to, and just kind of "go about your way" on. This isn't my favorite song of theirs and I'm not really sure which one is, but eh, I like it quite a bit anyway.

I'll give others a chance/stop postcount+++ing now.

Just a note, I love that video. Pretty cute. I've never heard this song before; it's got sort of a laid-back and drunken feel to it. It's one of those songs where I feel the singer's voice really compliments the tone/mood of the song. "Let's pretend we don't exist, let's pretend we're in Antarctica" is a beautiful line, it's an outreaching and abstract thought and really goes well with the music, seriously. I'm pretty impressed with the song overall, it's something I'd listen to when I feel sort of crappy.

Modest Mouse - Dashboard
My friend actually showed this one to me back in the summer. I've been pretty into Modest Mouse ever since.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
it's catchy. the frenzied lyrics, the erratic guitar, and a nice chorus. the guitar is nice to pull the song together, and has a nice beat to it. it's a simple song, just some nice vocals, guitar, and drums, but in this case simple is good.

Bamboo Banga

love me some m.i.a. catchy as fuck beats and lyrics, with a really interesting voice. "m.i.a. is the master of the long vowel"

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The beat is pretty decent. It's kind of catchy and while it does sound a bit a bit trashy and overdone, can't complain.

However, the woman singing I dislike. Her style doesn't suit me (I've never really liked African American woman rapping/singing), and the lyrics don't inspire anything within me. I would give this song a 3/10

Love Mode by Clazziquai

I've recently started listening to them, and I really like their music. Their lyrics, while bordering the whole "sweety dovey" side about love that Koreans always sing about, have good flow, and make sense. However, what I really like is their DJ. He makes great experimental beats, and it feels great to listen to his stuff. They also remix alot of their songs by different DJs, which is also pretty awesome.

The song I just linked is one of their more mainstream songs. It has a nice catchy beat with layers, and their voices are really pleasant to listen to. Hope you enjoyl

the beat is kinda catchy in your song eraddd, however i'm not really into the whole japanese electro love-pop thing, 3/10 just because it's not my cup of tea.

http://soundcloud.com/fidgetking/borgore-nympho

a pretty mainstream dubstep track, pretty much a drum and bass machine with a bunch of computerized sounds and an english dude rapping some ridiculously funny shit over it. the bass just sounds cool as shit if you have a good subwoofer, and i personally like this song alot because it's actually helped me get laid.

Hahahhahaha nice lyrics. The song is great! Really good thumping base all in all its great. The rapping isnt done well but the lyrics are hilarious and it is pretty hard to rap to dubstep. The noises are a bit strange but nevertheless the lyrics and the dubstep really brings it up. 4/5
i love my mum, my dad and my dildo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqh9N-Mw5E

Slam by Pendulum. Amazing example of drum and bass. The video is fairly weird and there is an introduction which is kinda meh but the song... ITS AMAZING :P
Amazing song by an Australian band... WATCH WATCH WATCH

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
^ Interesting song. Musically, it does get repetitive, but I like the minor key and musical intro (after the talking of course). I like the uncommon choice of instruments too as they add a kind of funky sound to it while still retaining "live performance" feasibility. As for the video...all I gotta say is if there ever were going to be a reenactment of the SNL Chippendales skit with Chris Farley, this guy would star in it. Overall: 7/10. Would get a 9 or 10 if the music was a bit more ambitious in its complexity.

As for my choice:

Do You Call My Name, by Ra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMvppW6kfIE

It's a nice song, but I felt it occasionally dragged out. For some odd reason I liked the start best, and felt a bit... disappointed (?) when the vocals came in. Sounded real nice until there.

Anyways, my song:

Poets of the Fall - Carnival of Rust

Found this band last spring, loved'em ever since. This here is most likely my favourite song from them, though they have a huge bunch of awesome songs. Also being Finnish is a bonus.

The song by Poets of the Fall wasn't bad, but I guess it's just not my thing. It is quality music, I can hear that for sure, but it was somewhat boring, if you ask me. Not too much going on.

Now for my video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVxjdJoh4SM
Pretty Little Ditty by the Red Hot Chili Peppers (no idea how to put a nice link, can someone teach me? :))

The Peppers are my favourite band, with a great vocalist, ace drummer, fantastic guitarist (sad thing Frusciante quit) and the best bassist in the world. This song ain't too complex, but that doesn't make it all that less beautiful.

Thats a really good song! Very chill and relaxed. I really love the baseline it kinda makes the song for me. Also I love when the trumpets come in (I've kinda been a sucker for trumpets+guitars since listening to Neutral Milk Hotel).

The Rural Alberta Advantage-Stamp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPDifrT63Os

This group was actually recommend to me over the smogon forums by user Zoro when I asked for some bands that sounded similar to NMH. I've loved them ever since. This is the first song song from their March 2011 album Departing. First thing's first; they're drummer is amazing. Check out those drum fills! If you really like the song you can download it free (and legally!) from the band's label's website, http://www.saddle-creek.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)