Rating Practice Team #29

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Welcome to the newest round of rating practice teams. If you're an aspiring rater, then these will hopefully allow you to pick up on and address any problems with your rating, provide you with experience rating teams that have been specifically made to be as tough to rate as possible, and make you think creatively in order to find the best changes for the team. Any rates we receive will be replied to with personalized feedback by an official Team Rater. At the end of the round, we'll give some general hints and feedback on how things went, and post the best rate that we received as an example of how to rate the team.

Anyone is welcome to participate and send in their rate, and everyone will be guaranteed to receive feedback appropriate to the effort they put into their rate, regardless of their ability. However, to keep things fair, we won't be considering rates sent in by official Team Raters as winners of the best rate.

If you would like to participate in this round, PM your rate to ShootingStarmie no later than Tuesday, September 2nd. Do not post rates in this thread.

---------

This team is based around Mega Charizard X's fantastic wallbreaking capabilities. I wanted to use Swords Dance + Tailwind because I feel as if it's much more effective than the traditional Dragon Dancer in the current metagame. Enjoy!

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Outrage
- Swords Dance
- Tailwind

Charizard is my team's Mega and also its main focus. It's very easy for it to break down defensive teams with a Swords Dance boost, even those who carry Quagsire because Outrage will 2HKO it. +2 Outrage also does an absolute truckload to Heatran so there is no need for Earthquake. Against offense, Tailwind is very useful because Charizard doesn't need an attack boost to OHKO frail offensive Pokemon, and it can outspeed even their Choice Scarf user. It also provides great team support. Getting both boosts is a rare occurrence which is generally not needed, but when it gets them, nothing can really stop this beast.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge

Charizard's effectiveness is heavily boosted by Stealth Rock, and it doesn't like Thundurus at all so Hippowdon seemed to be a perfect fit. Not only that, but it can provide a reliable check to stuff like Mega Tyranitar that can be big trouble to Charizard. I chose to go with Sand Force because the team doesn't need Sand Stream and it helps checking Mega Tyranitar, because it will otherwise take an Earthquake easily. I decided to go with a lot of SpDef because Thundurus is very powerful and the coverage moves will still hurt.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Recover

While Charizard loves the help of Stealth Rock, it also hates it when the opponent has it and would much rather play with no hazards at all. Latias helps with that by providing Defog support. I also noticed that both Pokemon I had on the team didn't really like Water attacks, and Hippowdon is kind of a free switch in for offensive Waters so I needed something to switch into them, which made Latias a perfect fit. I chose Recover over Healing Wish because Latias is my team's main way to deal with Special Water types and I want to keep it healthy for most of the game to be able to check them. That is also the reason why I decided to use Latias over Latios.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

Clefable takes advantage of Charizard's wallbreaking because it loves it when Heatran is dead, which is something that will probably happen if the opponent lets me set up. Many defensive teams will just fall to this Clefable once their Heatran is gone which makes it a great follow up to Charizard. I decided to opt for Flamethrower over Stored Power because I feel like my team can't really lure in Fire weak Pokemon well so my sweep isn't interrupted by them. Clefable is also my main way of dealing with Dragon types which as everyone probably knows, are extremely dangerous.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Rotom takes on many of the team's weaknesses, mainly against strong Flying type Pokemon, like Mega Pinsir, while also serving as the team's Water type. I decided to go with Rotom because I needed something that could tank a hit while still maintaining offensive momentum, and its Volt Switch is just perfect for that as very little that's immune to it like to switch into a Hydro Pump or a Will-O-Wisp. A secondary Water resist is also something that's always nice to have in this tier which is dominated by offensive Waters.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge

I noticed that my team was fairly slow and also had no Fairy resist which is why I decided to add Choice Scarf Heatran to the mix. Not only does it resist Fairy, but it can also outspeed the fastest relevant non-Mega threat in the tier, Greninja, by 1 point. Moveset is pretty standard and I decided to go for Fire Blast over Overheat because Heatran can act as a game ender when everything has been weakened, and Overheat's side effect is rather inconvenient for late game sweeping purposes.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi guys! We've replied to everyone who sent in a rate, and we all thank for you taking part in this project. The winner this round was... TheEnder! Congrats! Here's the winner's reply to this practice rate.

I'd like to give this round a go aswell :D

This balanced team based around Swords Dance Mega Charizard X seems to have a lot of potential, as Charizard breaking holes early-game opens up a lot for either Clefable, Latias, or Heatran to clean late-game. At the moment though, the team has a hard time against high-tier threats such as Mega Gyarados, Greninja, Mamoswine, Terrakion, Mega Charizard X, and Kyurem-Black. Due to relying a lot on Heatran revengekilling against offense, the opponent has a lot of opportunities to set up, and will most likely proceed to sweep the entire team. To adress some of these issues, I'm going to suggest some changes to the defensive core to make the team more rounded off defensively, while also trying to improve the offesnive capabilities the team has.

Changes:

- The Defensive Core

->

Specially Defensive -> Physically Defensive
Physically Defensive -> Mixed

As I just mentioned, the defensive core of the team could use some work. To deal with the likes of Mega Gyarados, Greninja, Mamoswine and Kyurem, an ideal addition to the team would be Ferrothorn. IMO, the most expandable member of the defensive core is Rotom-W. As it's main roles are taking on FlySpam and being a secondary water-resist, Ferrothorn is actually an excellent fit over it as it's good typing and bulk allows it to function good as a defensive pivot, just like Rotom-W. Ferrothorn alone isn't enough to reliably take on FlySpam though, and thus I'd suggest changing Hippowdown's set to a physcially defensive one. This let's it switch into Mega Pinsir and Talonflame without getting 2HKO'd, which is something it cannot do while investing heavily in Special Defense. This change also opens up another weakness, which is Thundurus, that now is capable of 2HKO'ing Hippowdon. To patch this up, changing Clefable's set to a mixed defensive one capable of switching into Greninja (HP Fire variants take on Ferrothorn) and Thundurus is something I would suggest. With these changes, I think the defensive core is capable of taking on a lot more threats than before.

- The Offensive Core

-> Bulkier EV spread
-> Bulkier EV spread

As Latias acts as the teams main switchin to wallbreakers like Keldeo, Landorus, and Mega Charizard Y, it would really appreciate a bulkier spread, as switching in multiple times becomes much easier. I would also suggest that Charizard runs enough Speed EVs to outrun Adamant Excadrill, and puts the rest in bulk, as switching into Knock Off's from Mew and Lava Plumes from Heatran etc. becomes easier.

->

Lastly, I would suggest switching Heatran out for Excadrill. As adding Ferrothorn to the defensive core gives the team a Fairy-resist, Heatran doesn't really stand out as the greatest pick for the last slot. By changing Hippowdon's ability to Sand Rush, Excadrill has 5 turns of sand where is can act as a great revengekiller, wallbreaker, and cleaner. In additon to this, Clefable seems to be a problem to the team once set up, and by running Excadrill over Heatran, the team now has a way of reliably dealing with it.

->

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD (not OHKO'd by +2 Return from Mega Pinsir after rocks)
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Recover

EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Outrage
- Swords Dance
- Tailwind

->

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Recover

EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Outrage
- Swords Dance
- Tailwind

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Also, gl luck on getting into the marine Mark n_n

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)