VGC Reg G: Bulkiest (and fastest) Alolan Raichu Ever

Here's my Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/a53872b38003b07c

Introduction

Greetings good people of the internet, Regulation G had recently been announced and it has made the stakes ever so higher for people like me whom constantly look for new and interesting pokemon to build teams around with due to the presence of restricted legendaries which literally warps the metagme around them. Nevertheless, my constant hunger for building questionable VGC teams has thrived better than ever since the discover of a brand new candidate to teambuild around: Alolan Raichu

Little Bit o' Backstory (you can skip this if you don't want to hear someone with questionable VGC knowledge rant about something they barely know)

I was browsing through the pokedex the other day, looking for pokemon with interesting abilities i could exploit when I came across Alolan Raichu, who is reintroduced during the indigo disk DLC along with its alolan kins. What first caught my eye is A-raichu's access to the move "Upper Hand" which happened to be assigned to a lot of low-tier pokemon that would usually be defined as "better use incineroar". Another thing that caught my eye is A-raichu's extraordinary speed stat, it might not outspeed metagame staples like flutter mane or chien-pao but not every pokemon gets access to a signature ability that doubles their speed with electric terrain. I was wondering if I could combine upper hand and fake out in order for A-raichu to check slower threats and help it's teammate to set up, but eventually I decided to opt for speed control instead, which is how I came up with this hideous team below:

Team

(could someone in the comments be as kind as to tell me how to add pictures for the pkmn?)

Pancake Boi (Raichu-Alola) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Surge Surfer
Level: 50
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 132 HP / 158 SpD / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
- Endeavor
- Fake Out
- Electroweb
- Volt Switch

This set borrowed some inspiration from Wolfe Glick's 2016 Worlds Raichu, and even though the kantonian rodent and its suntanned twin don't exactly serve the same function in their respective teams, they still act as reliable fake out users that outspeeds the ladder who supports their teamates. Fake out and endeavor works the same way as you expect them to, electroweb is for speed control andI still haven't thought of a good move for move slot no.4 since nuzzle, quick attack, knock off, and grass knot for kyogre are all very good choices. I'm not a EV got or anything, but the spread I made is able to outspeed Jolly Mienshao by one point. With that said, A-raichu's purpose is to help its teamates to set up and provide speed control with its amazing speed.

Toothless (Miraidon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hadron Engine
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Parabolic Charge
- Dragon Pulse
- Calm Mind

In case it wasn't obvious enough, Miraidon is the restricted legendary I picked for the team, and thanks to A-raichu, it can now reliably set up calm minds to furthermore boost its absurd firepower. Dragon pulse is a great STAB move for calm mind sweepers and dazzling gleam improves coverage after tera. I've decided to use parabolic charge over electro drift to recover miraidon in other means than leftovers, but I could always be wrong. Speaking of leftovers, the even number HP EVs is supposed to gain better recovery for miraidon.

Ogerpon-Hearthflame (F) @ Hearthflame Mask
Ability: Mold Breaker
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 204 HP / 76 Atk / 36 Def / 4 SpD / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ivy Cudgel
- Horn Leech
- Follow Me
- Spiky Shield

Ogerpon-H is a great partner for A-raichu and miraidon, providing redirection support and also taking out rillaboom, which is one of the biggest threats to our team. Overall this is just a basic mon and makes for a good offensive redirector that covers my team in the physical side.

Happy Feet (Iron Bundle) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Freeze-Dry
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind
- Protect

Iron Bundle is another no brainer, it helps miraidon get rid of pesky ground and dragon types and in return receives the speed boost from electric terrain. Focus sash makes it capable of taking hits and as long as A-raichu is also on the field, there is no chance for opposing fake outs to break its sash and threaten it. Icy wind is another form of speed control for my team other than electroweb, and it can still fill in the shoes on A-raichu when it's not on the field thanks to its gargantuan speed stat.

Iron Jugulis @ Sitrus Berry
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 188 HP / 52 Def / 12 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Snarl
- Tailwind
- Protect

Another basic set, iron jugulis is put in my team as yet another paradox pokemon that helps with speed control and slowing down opposing special attackers (most notably calyrex-s). The sitrus berry I gave it increases longevity and actually allows it to tank an unboosted surging strikes fro urshifu-r. I would prabably not bring it on the field that often but I find it having great synergy with miraidon in terms of tailwind support and chip damage to bring dow oppnents to dragon pulse range.

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 132 HP / 4 Def / 116 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb
- Substitute
- Protect

Landorus is just landorus, it is another pokemon that benefits all of the above luxuries such as redirection, fake out and speed control. It also helps miraidon set up better by passing on subsitute. Just another mon that contributes to the team all the while dishing out massive damage of it's own.

Conclusion

And that's all folks, I really hope my VGC teams wasn't all to awful and could actually stand a chance against the demons that are calyrex-ice and kyurem. I would really appreciate you to yell at me in the comments and point out some of the 2 million mistakes I made because my three remaining brain cells simply cannot comprehend basic VGC knowledge. Sorry I wasn't able to find any good replays of mine, have a nice day!
:cheem-pao:

Introduction

Greetings good people of the internet, Regulation G had recently been announced and it has made the stakes ever so higher for people like me whom constantly look for new and interesting pokemon to build teams around with due to the presence of restricted legendaries which literally warps the metagme around them. Nevertheless, my constant hunger for building questionable VGC teams has thrived better than ever since the discover of a brand new candidate to teambuild around: Alolan Raichu

Little Bit o' Backstory (you can skip this if you don't want to hear someone with questionable VGC knowledge rant about something they barely know)

I was browsing through the pokedex the other day, looking for pokemon with interesting abilities i could exploit when I came across Alolan Raichu, who is reintroduced during the indigo disk DLC along with its alolan kins. What first caught my eye is A-raichu's access to the move "Upper Hand" which happened to be assigned to a lot of low-tier pokemon that would usually be defined as "better use incineroar". Another thing that caught my eye is A-raichu's extraordinary speed stat, it might not outspeed metagame staples like flutter mane or chien-pao but not every pokemon gets access to a signature ability that doubles their speed with electric terrain. I was wondering if I could combine upper hand and fake out in order for A-raichu to check slower threats and help it's teammate to set up, but eventually I decided to opt for speed control instead, which is how I came up with this hideous team below:

Team

(could someone in the comments be as kind as to tell me how to add pictures for the pkmn?)

Timid Nature
- Endeavor
- Fake Out
- Electroweb
- Volt Switch

This set borrowed some inspiration from Wolfe Glick's 2016 Worlds Raichu, and even though the kantonian rodent and its suntanned twin don't exactly serve the same function in their respective teams, they still act as reliable fake out users that outspeeds the ladder who supports their teamates. Fake out and endeavor works the same way as you expect them to, electroweb is for speed control andI still haven't thought of a good move for move slot no.4 since nuzzle, quick attack, knock off, and grass knot for kyogre are all very good choices. I'm not a EV got or anything, but the spread I made is able to outspeed Jolly Mienshao by one point. With that said, A-raichu's purpose is to help its teamates to set up and provide speed control with its amazing speed.

Modest Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Parabolic Charge
- Dragon Pulse
- Calm Mind

In case it wasn't obvious enough, Miraidon is the restricted legendary I picked for the team, and thanks to A-raichu, it can now reliably set up calm minds to furthermore boost its absurd firepower. Dragon pulse is a great STAB move for calm mind sweepers and dazzling gleam improves coverage after tera. I've decided to use parabolic charge over electro drift to recover miraidon in other means than leftovers, but I could always be wrong. Speaking of leftovers, the even number HP EVs is supposed to gain better recovery for miraidon.

Adamant Nature
- Ivy Cudgel
- Horn Leech
- Follow Me
- Spiky Shield

Ogerpon-H is a great partner for A-raichu and miraidon, providing redirection support and also taking out rillaboom, which is one of the biggest threats to our team. Overall this is just a basic mon and makes for a good offensive redirector that covers my team in the physical side.

Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind
- Protect

Iron Bundle is another no brainer, it helps miraidon get rid of pesky ground and dragon types and in return receives the speed boost from electric terrain. Focus sash makes it capable of taking hits and as long as A-raichu is also on the field, there is no chance for opposing fake outs to break its sash and threaten it. Icy wind is another form of speed control for my team other than electroweb, and it can still fill in the shoes on A-raichu when it's not on the field thanks to its gargantuan speed stat.

Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Snarl
- Tailwind
- Protect

Another basic set, iron jugulis is put in my team as yet another paradox pokemon that helps with speed control and slowing down opposing special attackers (most notably calyrex-s). The sitrus berry I gave it increases longevity and actually allows it to tank an unboosted surging strikes fro urshifu-r. I would prabably not bring it on the field that often but I find it having great synergy with miraidon in terms of tailwind support and chip damage to bring dow oppnents to dragon pulse range.

Landorus @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb
- Substitute
- Protect

Landorus is just landorus, it is another pokemon that benefits all of the above luxuries such as redirection, fake out and speed control. It also helps miraidon set up better by passing on subsitute. Just another mon that contributes to the team all the while dishing out massive damage of it's own.

Conclusion

And that's all folks, I really hope my VGC teams wasn't all to awful and could actually stand a chance against the demons that are calyrex-ice and kyurem. I would really appreciate you to yell at me in the comments and point out some of the 2 million mistakes I made because my three remaining brain cells simply cannot comprehend basic VGC knowledge. Sorry I wasn't able to find any good replays of mine, have a nice day!
(Damn you used raichu, based asf)
Anyways miraidon would probably want protect somewhere, as not being able to protect is not exactly great if you are not choiced…

Introduction

Team

Timid Nature
- Endeavor
- Fake Out
- Electroweb
- Volt Switch

Modest Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Parabolic Charge
- Dragon Pulse
- Calm Mind

Adamant Nature
- Ivy Cudgel
- Horn Leech
- Follow Me
- Spiky Shield

Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind
- Protect

Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Snarl
- Tailwind
- Protect

Landorus @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb
- Substitute
- Protect

Conclusion

Raichu isn't a very common Pokemon but the way you're using it is pretty unique. I don't reccomend assault vest however.
252 SpA Tera-Ghost Calyrex-Shadow Rider Astral Barrage vs. 132 HP / 158 SpD Assault Vest Raichu-Alola: 156-188 (102.6 - 123.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Replace the assault vest for focus sash and replace the volt switch/knock off slot for tbolt, since you're focus sash you can invest max spa and speed and hit pretty hard under electric terrain, even with only 95 base spa. This also makes endeavour more useful as you're being brought down to 1hp a lot more. I'd reccomend tera ghost to avoid fake out.

Raichu-Alola @ Focus Sash
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 4def/252spa/252spe
Modest Nature (You don't even need timid now since you got to max speed, mienshao isn't too relevant)
- Fake Out
- Endeavour
- Thunderbolt
- Electroweb

Miraidon should probably run a specs set, seems the best for it. Specs tera fairy allow you to dispatch dragon types with ease, and Raichu's support is appreciated more with specs mirai as raichu is not lasting long on the field, therefore Miraidon needs to take advantage of it's support immediately.

Miraidon @ Choice Specs
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Def / 36 SpA / 4 SpD / 124 Spe
Timid Nature
- Electro Drift
- Draco Meteor
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
This spread outspeeds Adamant Pao and other Modest Miraidon.
252+ Atk Calyrex-Ice Rider Glacial Lance vs. 92 HP / 252 Def Miraidon: 158-188 (84.4 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO this is fun.

Iron Bundle should be replaced for a scarf urshifu, you can find a set for those on the strategy dex (same place you found my ogerpon-h spread lol). You already have tons of speed control with ewebs and tailwind, and raichu + bundle honestly is just two mons trying to do the same job. The synergy with fake out and unseen fist also helps.

I think from here you should be fine, probably look for a better Jugulis spread but that's about all I have.

Raichu isn't a very common Pokemon but the way you're using it is pretty unique. I don't reccomend assault vest however.
252 SpA Tera-Ghost Calyrex-Shadow Rider Astral Barrage vs. 132 HP / 158 SpD Assault Vest Raichu-Alola: 156-188 (102.6 - 123.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Replace the assault vest for focus sash and replace the volt switch/knock off slot for tbolt, since you're focus sash you can invest max spa and speed and hit pretty hard under electric terrain, even with only 95 base spa. This also makes endeavour more useful as you're being brought down to 1hp a lot more. I'd reccomend tera ghost to avoid fake out.

Raichu-Alola @ Focus Sash
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 4def/252spa/252spe
Modest Nature (You don't even need timid now since you got to max speed, mienshao isn't too relevant)
- Fake Out
- Endeavour
- Thunderbolt
- Electroweb

Miraidon should probably run a specs set, seems the best for it. Specs tera fairy allow you to dispatch dragon types with ease, and Raichu's support is appreciated more with specs mirai as raichu is not lasting long on the field, therefore Miraidon needs to take advantage of it's support immediately.

Miraidon @ Choice Specs
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Def / 36 SpA / 4 SpD / 124 Spe
Timid Nature
- Electro Drift
- Draco Meteor
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
This spread outspeeds Adamant Pao and other Modest Miraidon.
252+ Atk Calyrex-Ice Rider Glacial Lance vs. 92 HP / 252 Def Miraidon: 158-188 (84.4 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO this is fun.

Iron Bundle should be replaced for a scarf urshifu, you can find a set for those on the strategy dex (same place you found my ogerpon-h spread lol). You already have tons of speed control with ewebs and tailwind, and raichu + bundle honestly is just two mons trying to do the same job. The synergy with fake out and unseen fist also helps.

I think from here you should be fine, probably look for a better Jugulis spread but that's about all I have.
I remember 252 hp calm nature raichu can tank an astral barrage from calyrex (considering none of the sides tera) but i suppose that would be a waste of EVs and miss what raichu is truly good at haha

I'm going to assume as in scarf urshifu, you mean urshifu-r since scarf urshifu-s is basically non-existent

I was browsing through VGCpastes repository when i found out about Kotaro Nakagome's team, which also exploits A-raichu. Since I've never really found a specific purpose for my landorus, i decided to borrow the landorus-t from his team for me to use

:xy/landorus-therian:

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stomping Tantrum
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)