Regenerating Turning Synergy

Hello all, originally I presented a team that had the ability Regenerator and moves such as U-turn as the main focus. The end result could not be farther from that original concept but it has become better at handling threats thanks to several suggestions. The wall core of Slowbro, Heatran, and Ferrothorn have their own synergy, covering each other's weaknesses while providing a combination of status inducing, trapping, and weakness coverage as the sweepers do their thing. (Too late to change the title of the threat =p) TEAM TIME:

THE SWEEPERS:

Garchomp (M) @ Focus Sash (Replacement)
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-Stealth Rock
-Swords dance

My Lead and Stealth Rocker, using a focus sash to guarantee rocks get up or a kill. Jolly nature to help out-speed some leads. If it survives long enough, can set up late game proceed to sweep once steel types have been dealt with. Earthquake for the Pesky Ninetails and T-tar from weather teams.

Scizor (M) Choice band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/ 252 Atk / 8 SpDef
Adamant Nature
-U-turn
-Bullet Punch
-Superpower
-Pursuit

My physical sweeper, and my revenge killer. U-turn gives it synergy with my team and sometimes helps it from being trapped by Magnezones. Bullet punch for priority. Superpower for coverage and raw choice power. Pursuit is there specifically for ghosts that can hurt Slowbro and Latios.

Latios @ White Herb (Replacement)
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Surf
- HP Fire
- Psych Up
- Draco Meteor

My Special Sweeper and Stat Stealer to an extent. This set is courtesy of eggabubu8e, white herb allows Draco Meteor to be used more than once, allowing another move to be used based on the situation. Psych Up allows Latios to gain boosts from Calm Mind or Quiver Dance using opponents, again allowing another chance to use Draco Meteor or just hit hard in general. Surf is for things that can stop Scizor and Ferrothorn, such as Magnezone and Heatran. Hp Fire is to help deal with other steels that can stop Garchomp from sweeping late game and gains an advantage during Sun team battles. It is also an answer to the common ground weakness Ferrothorn and Heatran have, giving me a chance to switch in again to hit hard.

THE WALLS:

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers (19 speed IV)
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off
- Psychic

My Defense Wall and one of the parts of my Wall Core. He's great against those fighting types that plague the game and can slack off/regenerate physical hits like a champ. It has great synergy with Ferrothorn and Heatran, covering each other's weaknesses. Ice Beam for coverage against physical dragons.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers (0 Speed Iv)(Replacement)
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 Hp / 48 Def / 208 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave

My Mixed Wall of sorts and second part of my wall core. Sassy nature to take special hits a little better. Besides that, not much can be said, has great synergy with my other walls. Leech Seed to heal and cause the occasional switch. Thunder Wave to cripple faster opponents. Spikes because Garchomp can Stealth Rock and Power Whip for stab. Used to sponge some of the dragon, dark, and ghost moves that hurt members of my team.

Heatran @ Leftovers (Replacement)
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 hp / 252 Sdef / 4 Satk
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Toxic

My Special Wall and Trapper, and the last part of my wall core. I needed another wall besides Ferrothorn that could take special hits better, especially since it can't cover fire moves which hurt him and Scizor. Heatran comes in on fire moves and traps the opponent, allowing me to switch accordingly or hit with Earth Power. Toxic and Protect is to cripple other walls and stall. Used to sponge some of the ice, dragon, fire, dark, bug, and ghost moves that hurt my team.

Well, that's the team! I like the synergy my wall core has, allowing for good coverage of weaknesses. The sweepers also tend to hit equally as hard. Unfortunately, I do not have a spinblocker for the likes of starmie and donphan.
Any suggestions and advice are greatly appreciated.

Edited with suggestions, thank you all for the advice.

Last edited:
I would recommend a tangrowth as it can solve ur t-tar problem and has regenerator plus has great synergy with the other tanks

Thanks for the advice on the T-tar guys. Should I replace Amoogus for a Tangrowth? I assumed having a Mienshao lead and a revenge killer Scizor with fighting moves would cover a t-tar, must have overlooked the weakness ^^.

Last edited:
I would replace slowbro with tangrowth and then make ammongus specialy defensive because even though they share a type they go great together with tangrowths stun spore/ leech seed and amoongus spore it's amazing

Although it is through sarcastic gold, Stone Alchemist seems to have a point. I think I'll keep the team as is and try waiting for some more opinions. You do provide a point though cschollen1, my current walls might not be able to handle a t-tar. I think my best bet would be to spore with Amoogus and then switch. Any other opinions?

just a thought, not to come out of left field but what do u think about maybe countering fire/ice with an fight/water user? keldeo-r? and can stab ttar

pick your set, depending on situation either scarf or expert belt but just the scarf

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Secret Sword

i like surf> hydro for assurity & hp electric> ice but it naturally runs surf/hydro/hp ice/secret sword

just a thot!

Hmmm I do like the idea. Since its a special attacker I'd replace jolteon with it but then I'd gain another pokemon weak to psychic. I'll keep it as a scarf version so I can hit Alakazam, since it can probably mess up some of my team now with ease, I'll also change scizor into a life orb, swords dance set. Thank you!

Hmmm I do like the idea. Since its a special attacker I'd replace jolteon with it but then I'd gain another pokemon weak to psychic. I'll keep it as a scarf version so I can hit Alakazam, since it can probably mess up some of my team now with ease, I'll also change scizor into a life orb, swords dance set. Thank you!
ive always been told to go ep eletric over ice or hp bug if i was still psy weak but to me spec def celebi and even spec def jelly tank(hp ele) it so ive yet to ohko.

let me know how the change goes homie!

Just a question, how is Blissey your 'nurse' if it has no wish or heal bell?
Try this set:
Blissey @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 hp / 252 def / 4 sdef
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Stealth Rock
- Flamethrower / Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell / Thunder Wave / Protect / Softboiled / Toxic

Blissey should be much better now.

I don't understand why you have Fake Out on a life orb Mienshou. Is this a typing error? Change the set to this:
Mienshou
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
-Uturn
-Hi Jump Kick
-Hidden power ice
-Stone Edge
Evs: 252 attack/252 speed/4 sp.d
Nature: Adamant

And get a choice band on Scizor

I was thinking of that Mienshao lead, and honestly fake out doesn't really stop anything besides breaking sashes, you could replace it with HP Ice so you hit Lando T and Gliscor because sometimes u turning on them might give them a chance to set up and I'd rather just go for the KO. As for Scizor you should run the standard band set it allows you to hit hard without the needed time for setting up a SD

tl;dr

Mienshao (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Hp
Hasty Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Hi Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Scizor (M) Choice band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/ 252 Atk / 8 SpDef
Adamant Nature
-U-turn
-Bullet Punch
-Superpower
-Pursuit

@Qualna
I think i'll change keldeo for scarf latios actually, makes me feel so much safer and its a nice special attacker too, thanks.

@starwarsfan
Thanks for the blissey set. I had softboiled just to keep her alive but wishing seems useful.

@eggabubu8e
Yea I had fake out specifically to get rid of sashes/balloon while causing a little damage and then usually u-turning. But I see your point, hidden power ice seems more useful.
That being said...

@An-94
I like your set better than a choice set, thank you sir!
I'll change that to your suggested set. Also put a band back on scizor, yay.

Last edited:
I'd hate to bump this thread once more but I have a specific question about my lead. Scizor seems to be a slight problem since I can't seem to take it out reliably. T-tar was also mentioned to be a problem by other raters. Would it benefit my team if I replaced my Mienshao lead with this Infernape lead set:

Infernape (M) @ life orb
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 180 Atk / 76 Satk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Overheat
- Close Combat
- Thunderpunch
- U-turn

Now this is my reasoning. Although I lose a piece of my Regenerator core, I'd be better equipped to take out certain Pokemon that hurt my team. Overheat is specifically for Scizor because it can take out my Latios and using Amoongus to take it out with HP fire is risky. Close Combat specifically for T-tar, which again can take out Latios. Thunderpunch reliably hurts water types which, besides for Amoogus's Giga Drain, can be hard to hit and can hurt Gyarados. U-turn is to keep the same synergy that Mienshao had with my other team members. I also chose it over HP ice because I think Latios can revenge kill dragons and Scizor can take a few hits and hit back hard aswell. Thoughts?

Infernape isn't exactly a counter for tyranitar. You would be much better suited with something else, possibly a protect variant of Ferrothorn as it could provide a better SR user than Blissey and give you a defensive wall/tank. If having Infernape is essential, normally, I would prefer Mach Punch over Close Combat but that is purely an opinion and you do not need to take into account.
If you turned Infernape into Ferrothorn than it would allow you to switch out Amoongus for a Pokemon of your choice ( unless you inclined to keep Amoongus).
As another opinion I usually prefer I different set for my
Latios.
Ability: Levitate
Item: White Herb
-Draco Meteor
-Psych Up
-Surf
-Hp Fire
Ev's: 252 speed/252 sp.attack/4 sp.d
Nature: Timid
Again this set is just a personal preference and you can ignore it if you like, but I have found it more useful in the past than a trick set.

Here's the Answer to your troubles

Garchomp (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Jolly/Adamant Nature
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-Stealth Rock
-Swords dance

Sash garchomp not only gets up rocks, but also can KO ttar and come in on mostly all of its attacks, unless it has like Ice beam or something... anyway Swords dance is used when you know you'll be forcing the switch and can get a free +2. Garchomp can KO scizor with 2 EQ's for sure maybe one after SR im not sure about calcs. Although I don't know how you feel about another Ice/Dragon Weakness to your team. You could also change Ferro, standard ferro with spikes/twave

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice.

@eggabubu8e
I will change Latios to that fantastic set! I will also be replacing Mienshao/Infernape with a Ferrothorn. The standard set Ferrothorn because I'd be replacing Amoogus with....

@An-94
that sexy Garchomp set, although I will be changing outrage for dragon claw for accuracy and because I think Swords Dance would make up for the lower power.

It's sad that my original regenerator focus is gone but I am liking all the advice you raters have given me. Thank you! Now with these changes, is there anything else I should be worrying about?

Ice types could be a potential threat. Maybe change Ice beam on Slowbro to Thunder Wave/ Fire Blast. Also try to implement this quote, "Knowing the enemy is only half the battle. Only to anticipate his maneuvers and strike with your superior knowledge will you earn true victory" - Jac

One more thing and its my last lol, but if your gonna keep bliss you could run

Blissey (F) @Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 def / 152 spdef / 100 hp
Nature: Bold
-Seismic Toss
-Wish/Softboiled
-Thunderwave / toxic
-heal bell or aromatherapy i know it gets one of them... I know you have other phazes on your team but havig the aditional twave or toxic wouldnt heart vs certain pokes like say jellicent, that isnt running taunt and oter stall pokes heal bell or aroma w.e she gets let her be a cleric for your pokes given theyget statused and wish is for team healing as opposed to self healing but its up to you

While I was looking over the team I noticed something that could be fatal. You are currently relying on Latios to switch in and take resisted hits. This is bad. One wrong prodiction and you lose a heavy hitter. Now I went over a typing chart and saw that you have 2 dark weaknesses, 2 fire weaknesses, 2 fighting weaknesses, 2 ice weaknesses, and 2 dragon weaknesses. Now I went over effective Pokemon in OU and I found a 'mon that could help your team greatly. It's Heatran. Heatran is your savior. It resists every type I just listed except for fighting. But it gets better. If you replace Blissey for heatran you don't have 3 weaknesses of a kind in fighting. Plus I have a great sp.defensive set for heatran that more than makes up for Blissey.
Heatran
Ability: Flash Fire
Item: Leftovers
-Stealth Rock
-Protect
-Toxic
-Magma Storm
Ev's: 252 sp.d/252 hp/4 sp.a
Nature: Calm
Okay so we have replaced your previous sp.d defender with a more balanced one. We still have SR. We have a trapper that can piss the fu*k out of people. And we have needed resistances plus 2 extra type immunities. I hope this is a solid addition to the team.
Oh and as a extra comment, I always like to have 4 in my speed stat instead of 8 on Scizor. This is purely because having 4 will allow you to go second against opposing Scizor so when they hit you with Superpower they will have a drop to their defenses allowing you to kill with a Superpower of your own. Plus since there is nothing worth mentioning at the same speed teir except for Emporeon ( which never runs speed Ev's), so all you need is that 4 to get a Uturn off. And having that 4 Ev's to put into sp.d will allow you to ruin any Pokemon that has Download because all of them are mainly special attackers and with the bonus to attack it makes their ability null.

Last edited:
I do like that Heatran, shame that I would lose the wish passing but I see your point. Replacing Blissey for Heatran would also make a grass+fire+water core which I'd like too. I'll do it but will replace stealth rock for Earth Power because Garchomp stealth rocks already. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)