XY UU Regenerator core, need some help please.

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Regenerator - Sassy
132 hp 124 def 252 spdef
Energy ball
Synthesis
Brick break
Leech seed

I mainly chose Tangrowth because of his high defense, and I thought he was a good partner for Alomomola, because they cover each others weaknesses quite well. I was thinking he worked kind of like a pivot especially in this team, and helps with his brick break and energy ball STAB. He seems to be a weak link, however. I don't know if its because of the way I'm running him or if it's because I haven't run into a pokemon he can reliably counter yet.

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Regenerator - Calm
252 def 252 spdef 4 spd
Wish
Toxic
Protect
Knock off

Alomomola is one of my wish passers, She normally works as my lead most of the time I'll knock off first turn and then go into toxic. Sometimes I'll do the reverse if it seems that getting toxic up earlier would be a good idea. She provides some well needed ice resistance to my team, and is basically the inspiration for the regenerating wish passing core.

Audino @ Leftovers
Regenerator - Careful
252 hp 128 def 128 spdef
Wish
Heal bell
Protect
Double-edge

Audino acts as a cleric for my team, getting rid of status and passing wishes as well. Double edge makes sure she can do something if shes taunted. Audino is mainly always the first pokemon to faint on my team, I don't know if its because I rely too heavily upon her for status clearing or if shes too predictable, or even if I just don't make the best descisions when it comes to her on the battlefield.

Honchkrow @ Life orb
Super luck - Naughty
252 atk 124 hp 132 Spd
Heat Wave
Defog
Brave bird
Sucker punch

Honchkrow is mainly here because I wanted a defog user to get rid of entry hazards. I realized he works better as a physical attacker.. and he hasn't been able to get a defog off once. He just seems way too frail to have any use on this team, and I'd really love to replace him. I've just had trouble finding a good bulky physical attacker that can also spin or defog.. My first choice was Mandibuzz, but hes OU so I was forced to go with honchkrow. Maybe putting roost in here where heat wave is would help?

Chandelure @ Choice scarf
Flash fire - Modest
252 spatk 252 spd 4 def
Will o wisp
Energy ball
Flamethrower
Pain split

Chandelure Is my go to special attacker. I scarfed her so she doesn't have that huge of a speed problem, and I love to bait out a water type just to energy ball it, however this has gotten rid of Shadow ball which I think was a better coverage option, but most other ghosts would never stay in on chandy anyways..

Haxorus @ Choice band
Mold breaker - Adamant
252 atk 124 hp 132 spd
Dragon dance
Poison jab
Brick break
Dragon claw

Haxorus is supposed to be my end game sweeper I guess.. (haha) I've never used him.. at all really. He seems to be more of a liability as well.. He has got a good few hits in, but He just doesn't ever really seem to get the job done. I don't know if its because of my playstyle but I don't ever do to well with offensive pokes.. and I believe thats the reason he has suffered such a bland spot on my team.

Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to look at my team and rip it apart.. hehe

I was hoping to get some good feedback about what i can do to make this better, Tangrowth and Honchkrow seem to be my biggest liability and I have a huge gaping weakness to ice. I've been toying around with this on UU showdown, and Barbaracle also seems to wreck me. He comes in on Audino and uses her as setup bait.. I've realized this and immediately switch to Tangrowth to get the energy ball off, but the last Barbaracle had a focus sash, and he poison jabbed my Tangrowth to death. I then made a couple mistakes losing my Audino and finally taking down Barbaracle with Haxorus.. after getting Haxorus down to 18%.. So I'd just like some feedback on how to make the offensive side of my team a little better.. And maybe a replacement for Tangrowth, but I'd really like to keep the regenerator core, so maybe a better set for tangrowth? I dont know.. Help please.. :)

Last edited:

8-BIT Luster

Completely Unviable
You need three or more lines of description for each pokemon, otherwise this'll get locked. If you do that right quick I can help out when I get home.

Before any comment on your team: You should look at the RMT rules: they tend to close threads without 3+ lines about each 'mon. Got ninja'd.

To begin with: Your "Regenerator Core" is a mess. Two of your walls have horrible SpDef. Use either Alomomola or Tangrowth, along with a SpDef wall like Blissey(no Regenerator) or Slowking. And switch EV/Nature on whichever you choose of the former to 252 HP/252 Def Bold.

Chandalure and Haxorus both have a problem: You gave them bad moves for Choice items. Dragon Dance is terrible with a Choice item, as you're locked into nothing but boosting, while Pain Split forces you out right afterwards.

For Haxorus: If you remove the Band, give it a Lum Berry or Expert Belt. The former protects from status as you set up, and the latter gives you some better situational power. If you use the Band, give it Earthquake over Dance.

For Chandalure: Switch Pain Split for Trick, allowing you to cripple walls like Blissey with the Scarf, and (somewhat optionally) switch out Flamethrower for Fire Blast. That way you get a bit better power out of your attacks, netting some kills you'd miss with Flamethrower.

Honchcrow: Replace Defog with Roost, and Heat Wave with Superpower. It still covers your trouble with Steel/Rock, and uses your Attack stat rather than uninvested SpAtk. Also, use Moxie. Super Luck without Scope Lens/Razor Claw is generally not terribly useful, and Moxie will give you better sweep potential. Moving the HP EVs to speed will allow you to outspeed a lot more things as well.

With the 6th slot opened from replacing one of your Regenerators, Something capable of Spinning away hazards wouldn't be too bad. Life Orb Starmie is a great option, as it can spin hazards while still dealing large damage.

Thank you for your insight a random scrub.. it was very helpful and I've taken into consideration everything you've said. I'm glad that you replied because a lot of the problems I've been having were solved in that post.. :)

Hey man this team could actually be pretty solid with some few changes to it that wouldn't really change it(I'm making these changes based off of the drops that will come into uu when the server restarts by the way). First off I agree that you should ditch Tangrowth. As much as I like him, he doesn't really do all that much in uu. I would suggest running Shaymin > Tangrowth. Shaymin is a solid mon in this tier, and you could go with either a substitute+leech seed set, or a Life Orb 3 attack+synthesis set. Some people like running rest rather than synthesis, although rest loses momentum and gives up free turns. I would suggest running Togekiss and removing both Honchkrow and Audino. Although this sounds wierd at first, Togekiss can combine both roles that audino and honchkrow were supposed to fill on this team. Togekiss provides defog, which you wanted from honchkrow, and it provides heal bell, which you wanted from audino. Doing this also lets you handle things like opposing Haxorus, which originally gave your team trouble. I would also suggest running Vaporeon > Alomomola. With the latter change, you became more Nidoking weak, and Vaporeon will be able to mitigate this weakness, while also providing similar utility that Alomomola does. Vaporeon is also less prone to set up sweepers with both a higher special attack for a stronger scald, and access to roar. Currently your team is weak to Togekiss, and it also lacks rocks, so I would suggest running either Metagross or Jirachi, since combining both Honchkrow and Audino into Togekiss gave you an extra teamslot to patch up your team. Metagross has generally been inferior to Jirachi, since it could u-turn on slowbro or set up with calm mind, metagross did nothing to slowbro unless it had Life Orb and grass knot. Although since slowbro is going OU real soon, Metagross will increase in viability. Also, shadow ball is a must on Chandelure. The set should be fire blast/flamethrower (fire blast is better on scarfed chand, you're already weaker than a specs,Life Orb, or Calm Mind variant), shadow ball, trick, then either energy ball, hidden power fighting(for houndoom/hydreigon), or will-o-wisp if you really want it on chandelure. Although these edits change 2/3 of your team, both shaymin and tangrowth are kind of similar considering they're grass types, although they differ in every other way, and Vaporeon and Alomomola are similar in the roles they perform/their sets. Togekiss also performs as a cleric like Audino does, while also having defog like Honchkrow does. Jirachi/Metagross, the newer addition, provides rocks, which you originally didn't have, and finished off the team nicely by also checking Togekiss. That's all for the reccomendations, good luck with the team man.

The sets:

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Psychic/Air Slash
- Synthesis
(Psychic lets you hit Crobat/Roserade, while Air slash lets you hit grass types like opposing shaymin and celebi)

or:
Shaymin @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpD / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Psychic
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
( the speed lets you outspeed timid roserade)

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Heal Bell
- Defog
- Roost
(dazzling gleam over air slash to deal with haxorus/sableye/mega ampharos/etc better)

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Roar/Toxic
- Wish
- Protect

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
(fire punch hits steels like forretress, u-turn is there for momentum)

or:
Metagross @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
(the speed lets you outspeed non speed invested togekiss)

Wow.. thank you for the absolutely awesome feedback. I've never though of roar as a tool to stop setup sweepers in their tracks. That is definitely something I'll have to try.

I also love the fact that you gave me a great replacement for tangrowth. And knew of a mon that could heal bell, defog.. and on top of that was fairy typed.

I also love the steel typed pokemon you suggested I was looking for a nice steel type for quite awhile and finally gave it up for haxorus.

Once again thank you.. I can't even explain how much insight and knowledge has been imparted upon me about what exactly to look for in a pokemon to fulfill their roles from the two posts that you guys have given me.. :)

your welcome man, it's nice to see teams like these become more competitive. Also, I forgot to mention this before, but your Haxorus set is kind of wierd. You have dragon dance on a choice banded set. Are you trying to run banded haxorus or a dragon dance variant? I feel like dragon dance would fit better on your team, since it gives your team a win condition/more speed, although you could go either way. Also, earthquake is better than brick break on Haxorus, so I would change that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)