Regirock Disscussion

Regirock

Regirock apparently hasn't seen too much usage up until this point, but I'm thinking his ability to set up rocks and check birds, coupled with his stellar defensive stats, will cause him to rise dramatically.

Here's an old set from DPP that's still very functional:
Tank
-Stone Edge
- Earthquake
-Stealth Rock
- Toxic/Thunderwave/Drain Punch/
item: leftovers
ability: Clear Body
204 HP / 148 Atk / 156 SpD
Adamant/Careful

This set serves more of a utility purpose, setting up rocks, and checking birds, while throwing up rocks. This set has a bit of a bite with 148 atk investment, and can actually do decent amounts of damage, potentially with unresisted coverage. The EVs can be changed to max defense max HP to better hold off swellow, altaria, and the like.

Curse
-Rock Slide
-Curse
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
item: leftovers
ability: Clear Body
252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature

Curse is an alternative option Regirock has. Though it's typing and low attack off the bat are somewhat hindering, very little in NU can stop this set after a curse or two. It takes a super effective attacks such as hydro pump from Gorebyss to bring it down. The set is walled by Quagsire, and struggles against Things like Alomomola, but with proper team support, It can decimate apposing teams. Cacturne makes a good partner as it's able to set up spikes, and directly threaten water types that threaten regirock. Be sure to have a solid fighting resist if you plan on using the two as threats like Sawk still stand out.

It holds it's own quite well against a ton of threats thanks to 80/200/100 defenses, and edge-quake provides excellent coverage. Anyway, I'm expecting to see a lot of Regi's running around, though I feel my grasp on NU is very loose. In any case, please discuss!

canno

formerly The Reptile
Would a mono-attacking set be viable with Rest/Sleep Talk/Curse/Stone Edge? Not a lot of steel-types around to resist Stone Edge and you shouldn't be staying in on Fighting-types anyways.

Would a mono-attacking set be viable with Rest/Sleep Talk/Curse/Stone Edge? Not a lot of steel-types around to resist Stone Edge and you shouldn't be staying in on Fighting-types anyways.
With team support I bet it would be, my main concern is Quagsire completely shutting it down, but with toxic spike support, who knows? Though there are a lot of cool poison types in the tier to suck them up.

I've been using a paralysis set with Thunder Wave and I find that really helpful. Oftentimes Regirock doesn't have the bulk to withstand repeated attacks from Cacturne or Cinccino or something, but he can usually not be OHKO'd by any one physical attack and can paralyze the sweeper to prevent it from sweeping me cold. Of course if anything uses Substitute you're largely fucked, but that was the case to begin with. :D

Also on the mono-attacking set, you're going to be MUCH better off with Rock Slide. 80% acc. + 8 PP = not good for a staller.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Yeah, you're probably right, although PP isn't that big of a problem, as Sleep Talk doesn't use PP of the original move, but it could still be an issue.

Also, thunder wave seems really good on him, it's too bad you can't T-Wave Gorebyss or Swellow, or else it would be amazing (well, you could T-Wave Gorebyss if it decides to ShellSmash in your face, but that's most likely not going to happen)

Well if nothing else it prevents Gorebyss from setting up on you, and really most other sweepers. Thats why I like it on a mon that doesn't have anything in the ways of Roar / Perish Song / etc.

And I did not knock that about Sleep Talk at all! But I still think the reliability is more important on a booster, especially when he really isn't clawing for KO's like Lucario with CC or something like that.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Meh, as I see it, it's just another power vs accuracy problem. However, Rock Slide is probably much better on a mono-attacker set due to the stall-ish nature of it.

canno

formerly The Reptile
And Set-up sweepers will set-up on it's face while it's sleeping, namely (and most importantly) Gorebyss.

I've been running max defense, mainly to take less damage from swellow. Although Spikes are less common at the moment, Regirock is like one of the only good switchins to Swellow, so being able to tank as many hits from it as possible seems too important to pass up.

I've been running SR / Rock Slide (Stone Edge sucks) / Thunder Wave / Drain Punch or Earthquake.

you know what, I laughed the first time I read Drain Punch but it's actually super useful. Cacturne is the #1 thing to randomly use Substitute on you and Drain Punch really keeps his in check. It's not like Eq did jack shit either XD

I fought a sub/drain punch/stone edge/rock polish variant once, it was rather annoying.

Curse seems kind of redundant on Regirock but I suppose it could work on a set with max SpD.

If you like gimmicks, Lock - On gives Stone Edge 100% accuracy as well as Zap Cannon. Regirock has low SpA but it's auto-paralysis and should do a nice chunk to a lot of targets.

i run a straightforward physical wall with just 252 hp, 252 def, 4 spc def and it hits pretty well off the bat. also, it has no problem taking hits on the physical side, even if its super effective. and its spc def isnt too shabby either. it gets me out of alot of scrapes in nu, not to mention setting up my stealth rock.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)