Remembering What Was (non-Kalos XY Ubers team)

Alright guys, this is it. It has been a week since my last post received feedback, following RMT rules, and after spending all week testing out Uber teams while simultaneously waiting impatiently for Pokémon Bank, I have finally found a successful one. The Pokémon on this team incorporate some unorthodox strategies and ideas, but combined, they can pull off some unique combinations. I do have only 1751 on PS (at the time of writing this), which is why I'm uploading this team to the RMT forums. If you want to find out how I came to put this team together, please open this spoiler: (Otherwise, continue reading below)
When I first created my team, there were a few criteria which I set for myself:
  • No Xerneas, Yveltal, or Zygarde (This is big, as I don't have perfect IV's or natures for these guys)
  • There should be some type of Arceus
  • There should be at least one check/counter for Xerneas
  • There should be a way to remove hazards
So, without, further ado, I set myself to work. I pulled up a list of Uber Pokémon, and looked for one that I like that could be used on my team. I saw Deoxys Attack, found a good set for it, and I automatically had Pokémon numero uno:

I also needed a Scarfer, and Kyogre immediately jumped to mind. As I have had good experiences with it in the past, I decided to use it as well:

As Kyogre was and still is a top Ubers threat, I decided that I needed a good check for opposing Kyogre. I read somewhere that Palkia was a solid option for such a role, and so I introduced Palkia to my other Pokémon:

With half of my team done, I was feeling pretty confident about my team so far. I next looked into a good answer for Xerneas. I couldn't find anything Poison that really pleased the eye, so I looked for a Steel type. I also wanted an Arceus, so I decided to use Arceus Steel, Whom I wanted to use for a long time:

But then a new problem arose: Stealth Rock. I don't have anyone who sets up entry hazards (Deoxys is an Offensive Sash). This is where I got really stumped, as I couldn't find anyone who can set up Rocks and not interfere with the rest of my team. Dialga is Dragon/Steel, two types that I already have on my team, Smeargle is frail and easily played around, and Deoxys Speed has the same Pokédex number as Deoxys Attack. I was considering Groudon, but I thought its sunlight would interfere with Kyogre's sweep. Then I realized that Kyogre brings its own weather whenever it switches in, so I decided to include both Groudon and Kyogre on my team, so that I can take away any weather that the opponent might try to use against me:

Finally, i needed a dedicated wall, and since Ho-Oh is now used more often, I decided to use it as well:

With all six Pokémon incorporated into my team, I was feeling confident with my team's layout and performance. When I started playtesting it, I did pretty well in most battles, but I realized that my team didn't have any way to rid itself of hazards, so Ho-Oh wouldn't be the best Pokémon to use as a wall. As such, I wanted to find a Pokémon that is a little less weak to Stealth Rock, and into my mind flies its polar opposite, Lugia:

After making a few changes and playtesting even further, I realized that I needed to have a reliable method of clearing hazards from the field. With defog now clearing hazards from your own side as well without being spinblocked, I looked into viable users of the move, and found myself looking at Giratina. My playstyle is more offensively inclined, so I opted for Giratina Origin Forme. And, with hazards being out of the way, I decided that I can put the Guardian of the Skies back into my team, bringing my team to what it looks like now:

In Depth Analysis of my team:

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Spd / 148 Atk / 108 SAtk
Hasty Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch
- Ice Beam
- Psycho Boost

You may have noticed this set in my last RMT, but this time I put a Focus Sash on it instead of a Life Orb. My reasoning behind this is that if my opponent's Pokémon survives my attack, it's better to pull off two attacks at 1x rather than only have time for one at 1.3x. The moveset is meant to be able to handle threats from either side of the defensive spectrum. On the special side, Psycho Boost is the preferred STAB, hitting anything that doesn't resist it for considerable damage. I even discovered a neat trick when facing off against an unboosted Xerneas, where I Psycho Boost before it gets a chance to set up, and if it survives, I Extreme Speed the rest of its HP out. I also run Ice Beam for coverage against the Pokémon that do resist PB, especially Yveltal. On the physical side, I run Extreme Speed as a powerful priority move, for with +2 priority it will move before most prankster Pokémon. Finally, I run Fire Punch as a way to deal with Forretress and Ferrothorn (though I do need to be careful of RockBarb combos.) I split the offensive EV's as evenly as possible, although I put more emphasis on the physical side, as Psycho Boost already receives STAB.

Kyogre @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Surf

Choice Scarf Kyogre is still a force with which one should reckon him/herself, and it has saved me in many situations. With hazards and status out of the way, Water Spout deals monumental damage to almost anything in its way, due to both STAB and rain. Thunder is for handling Flying types/opposing Kyogre, and Ice Beam is for Dragons that resist the aforementioned moves. Finally, Surf is for if/when Kyogre's HP goes below 60%. The timid nature is to ensure that Kyogre almost always moves first (unless, of course, it's facing Scarf Genesect or something similar).

Arceus-Steel @ Iron Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Mild Nature
- Judgment
- Calm Mind
- Stone Edge
- Recover

The Supreme King steps into the thick of the battle, this time not with invisibility, but a full suit of armor. With a single Calm Mind no Xerneas is safe from His Divine Wrath. If He somehow ends up weaker than normal, He just uses recover, and He's back to destroying all pixies, stones, and icicles in his way (and a few others as well). In order to tackle Ho-Oh, His most troublesome subject, Arceus also runs Stone Edge, although He won't always punish the phoenix turkey. Looking at His stats, He has a mild personality, opening Himself up physically while giving Himself power on the special side.

Groudon @ Leftovers
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Tail

Groudon is my Stealth Rock setter. It may come as a slight surprise that I run both the Behemoth and the Leviathan, but since no one really benefits or suffers from either weather (except maybe Ho-Oh), it won't be detrimental to either Pokémon. Earthquake is Groudon's primary STAB, dealing great damage to many Pokémon, including Dialga and Arceus Rock. Stone Edge is yet another way to deal with Ho-Oh, and any Ice types that may want to switch in. Finally, Dragon Tail can be used for phazing out unwanted guests, and with maximum speed investment, Groudon will usually go before opposing Roars and Dragon tails, getting them out first.

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SDef / 248 HP / 8 Atk
Careful Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roar

Giratina is my main support Pokémon, and is my Hazard Clearer. I usually send it out before Groudon, so that I will get my hazards off before setting up my own. Shadow Sneak is my preferred STAB, as it can take out weakened foes that aren't ExtremeKiller or Genghis Khan. Will-O-Wisp is used to cripple incoming physical threats, although Lum Berry can be problematic at times. Finally, Roar is another way to phaze out opposing Pokémon. I was thinking of giving it another offensive move, as Shadow Sneak alone isn't able to handle many Pokémon; I just don't know which move to give it and what it should replace. Any feedback on this would be great.

Ho-Oh @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Earthquake

Ho-Oh is my tank. The HP is at 248 EV's, so that it will be an odd number and as such Ho-Oh will lose less HP to Rocks (although with Regenerator it won't make much of a difference). Sacred Fire is the main STAB, which usually burns upon impact. Brave Bird is secondary STAB, and with Regenerator and Roost, the recoil isn't necessarily going to be a problem. Speaking of Roost, I had a bit of difficulty deciding between Roost and Recover. On the one hand, Roost removes its 4x weakness to Rock and its Electric weakness, but on the other hand it simultaneously gives it a weakness to Earthquake. I stuck with Roost because the loss of the huge Rock weakness and the loss of another weakness for a turn is more beneficial than maintaining an immunity to one type, in my opinion. Finally, Earthquake gives me some hope when facing rock types, and allows me to deal with opposing, faster Ho-Oh that are trying to recover.

If you want to see older sets that I used to have before changing teammates and/or sets I was considering using, open the spoiler below:
Palkia@Lustrous Orb: I used to run this as a check to Kyogre, with Spacial Rend/Surf/Fire Blast/Thunder. I used Lustrous Orb so that the opponent may notice Spacial Rend doing more damage than normal, thinking I'm running Specs, switch into a Steel type, and get roasted with Fire Blast. I prefer Surf over Hydro Pump because I don't want HP to miss at a crucial time, and my accuracy luck never goes in my favor. I decided not to use this set as I realized that I already have a Water attacker, and Giratina will retain its Dragon typing while also being able to clear hazards.
Lugia (Multiscale): I also used to run Great Wall Lugia, with Ice Beam/Roost/Substitute/Toxic. Toxic was used for Crippling opposing Pokémon, while Substitute/Roost would stall them out of their PP. I decided to abandon this set, as I usually want type diversity on my team, and seeing that I already have a Psychic type on my team, I wanted to find another viable flying type.
Dialga@Adamant Orb: I was considering running Doctor Who for setting up hazards, with Dragon Pulse/Flash Cannon/Stealth Rock/Roar. Adamant Orb has the same purpose as Lustrous Orb, except it's Fairies getting pulverized with Flash Cannon. I chose not to run this because I already have a Steel type weak to Ground/Fighting, and it doesn't provide that great of a coverage.

So, this is my final team; however, final doesn't mean that the team is permanently engraved on a Stone Plate. The one thing that can change the way this team performs is you guys! You can say whatever you guys want to say, and everything comment I receive, no matter how big or small, I shall test out, and if I like it I will keep it. The one rule I have, however, is that the advice I get should not violate the four criteria I set for myself (they're listed in the first spoiler), especially the first one, unless it is absolutely necessary. Other than that, I encourage everyone to contribute, for there is no wrong way to build a team, and every piece of knowledge shared is not only imparted upon me, but upon the whole of the community as well. And anything can happen when new knowledge spreads about. After all, Alexander Fleming didn't intend on creating the world's first antibiotic (not the best metaphor, but the idea is clear). So, please, feel free to comment!

CHANGES MADE:
Replaced Tina with Mega Gengar

EDIT: On Giratina, replaced Shadow Sneak with Shadow Force and Roar with Dragon Tail.

Last edited:
I would really appreciate any and all feedback I get. It took me a long time to write this, and I really want some insight on what I did well, what I should improve, another offensive move for Giratina, another plate for Arceus, etc.

Hey, I've done a lot of Ubers laddering on Pokemon Online for a while and I really like this team overall. I'd love to give some feedback:

Arceus-Steel's really not a good Calm Mind user and Judgement really only hurts Xerneas. I think a support set would work out much better. You might want to even experiment with other Support Arceus forms if you haven't already, Fairy and Grass might work good with this team.
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk/ 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge
- Defog
- Recover
Even though you're team's non-Kalos, I'd definitely try out Mega Gengar over Giratina-O, who's not great this gen thanks to fairy. Plus Gengar's from Kanto anyway :p It overall does a much better job against Mewtwo and wrecks Xerneas and Arceus Fairy. I say use Arc-Steel as the hazard cleaner and sac Gira-O.
Gengar @ Gengarite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
-Shadow Ball
-Sludge Bomb
-Substitite
-Focus Blast
It seems like Scarfogre and especially SpecsOgre wrecks this team since you don't have a great answer to them. I see you used to have Palkia, and you say you don't want two water attackers but A. Palkia and Kyogre are great teammates, and B. EVERY Ubers team needs a Kyogre check, even this gen. Drizzle can really screw up a Ho-Oh sweep, and Arc Steel's really the only teammate who enjoys rain. I can see how ScarfOgre fits on your team but Palkia would fit even better, especially if you get Mega Gengar.

I know that's a lot of feedback but I think you'd definitely go over 1900s with these changes. I'll probably even use this team for myself, it has great potential

Last edited:
Hey, I've done a lot of Ubers laddering on Pokemon Online for a while and I really like this team overall. I'd love to give some feedback:

Arceus-Steel's really not a good Calm Mind user and Judgement really only hurts Xerneas. I think a support set would work out much better. You might want to even experiment with other Support Arceus forms if you haven't already, Fairy and Grass might work good with this team.
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk/ 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge
- Defog
- Recover
Even though you're team's non-Kalos, I'd definitely try out Mega Gengar over Giratina-O, who's not great this gen thanks to fairy. Plus Gengar's from Kanto anyway :p It overall does a much better job against Mewtwo and wrecks Xerneas and Arceus Fairy. I say use Arc-Steel as the hazard cleaner and sac Gira-O.
Gengar @ Gengarite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge
- Defog
- Recover
It seems like Scarfogre and especially SpecsOgre wrecks this team since you don't have a great answer to them. I see you used to have Palkia, and you say you don't want two water attackers but A. Palkia and Kyogre are great teammates, and B. EVERY Ubers team needs a Kyogre check, even this gen. Drizzle can really screw up a Ho-Oh sweep, and Arc Steel's really the only teammate who enjoys rain. I can see how ScarfOgre fits on your team but Palkia would fit even better, especially if you get Mega Gengar.

I know that's a lot of feedback but I think you'd definitely go over 1900s with these changes. I'll probably even use this team for myself, it has great potential
Thanks for the input! I thought that as soon as this thread hit the second page, I was done, but I was wrong in a good way! A few things about your feedback though (don't worry, I'm not disappointed at anything):

1. On the topic of Mega Gengar: When I said Non-Kalos Ubers team, I only meant no Xerneas/Yveltal, because I've done enough soft-resetting for a lifetime, and I only have perfect natures/IV's for Pokémon from Unova and earlier regions. Obtaining a Gengar with good stats should not be a problem for me. Also, wouldn't it prefer Shadow Ball/Sludge Bomb over Iron Head/Stone Edge? (You may have accidentally copied Steelceus's moveset)

2. On the topic of Arceus: I do think that since Arceus already has Stone Edge, a physical set would be more viable than a CM set. However, is there any specially-oriented Arceus that could replace His role? It's not that Steelceus is bad, I just want to have One with Judgment. (stupid argument, I know, but I just want to see if I could go about both what I want and what's best for the team. If nothing works, I'll stick with the Ironclad Deity)

3. For Palkia, I'm just wondering who I'd replace it with? Giratina is replaced with Mega-Gengar, Kyogre is an invaluable teammate, Groudon provides Rocks, Arceus gives hazard-clearing support, so that only leaves Ho-Oh and Deoxys-A. Which one would you recommend, if either?

That's all I have to ask of you. It may seem like quite a bit, but I totally agree with your suggestions, and I look forward to trying it out. Thanks again for the feedback! :)

1. Aah sorry about the Gengar set, I'm still getting used to posting on the forums blah. Fixed
2. Yeah, you might want to try Grass since it's also a very strong Kyogre check
3. Since you want to keep Kyogre I wouldn't remove anyone, and I'd just change Arc Steel to Grass

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)