Research Week #3: Rotom Formes!

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Research Week - Week 3
June 5th - June 15th
Hosted by TrollFreak, SkullCandy, and Makaveli

Research Week's premise is simple. It serves as a place to discuss Pokemon that, although somewhat unorthodox, have the potential to be interesting choices in the OU metagame. Be it through; stats, movepool, ability or support capabilities, these Pokemon all have the chance to shine through this thread. Throughout the week, anyone who acheives a high enough ranking on the ladder using one or more of the featured Pokemon gets a mention, depending on their ladder ranking.

Feel free to post which sets have served you well and especially why! Theorymoning is fine (try to use them though), but when the end of the week nears I would rather have people posting which sets they actually used and how good/bad they were.

Rules:
  • Be open-minded. Don't deride a Pokemon just because you think it's bad. Test it (and the others) out and at least see what it has to offer.
  • Don't just use the standard sets posted on the analysis pages (if the Pokemon has an analysis page, that is). Feel free to explore any other options it has available.
  • Don't suggest Pokemon in this thread, PM, VM, or find me or the other hosts on irc maybe we'll include it in the next one!
  • Don't get too off topic with your posts. It's fine to make one post explaining why X Pokemon is outclassed by Y Pokemon but don't keep reiterating your point!
To make this thread a bit more competitive I'm going to change the awards up a bit. Just to make this a bit more of a competition than Dark Horse I am only going to give awards to the top three users (for each Pokemon). At the end of the week, the users with the highest amout of ladder points for each Pokemon will get a Gold award, the second highest gets a Silver award, and the third receives a Bronze. Also, you can only be considered for an award if you get a ranking of over 1300. As the week develops more and more people will be chasing that No1 spot so, if whoever claims it first wants to keep their top spot, remember that you're going to have to keep laddering lest someone overtake you!

On to the Pokemon! This Research Week's title is...

Electric Appliances
Rotom, Rotom-H, and Rotom-C. Back in DPP OU, these Pokemon all had one typing, Electric / Ghost. Now in BW, they each have unique typings and roles on a team. Below is just a short intro into each forme.

Rotom
(Courtesy of Makaveli)
Ah, the original Rotom, normally overshadowed by its counterparts in OU by a better typing or better BST; but that does not mean it should be overlooked. Its type, despite making it Pursuit weak and making Tyranitar its worst nemesis like back in the days of DPP OU, allows it to function as a premier spinblocker that is fast enough to keep momentum with the ever-so-annoying Volt Switch. It can also take on the role of a revenge killer. The sets you will most likely utilize in research week will be the Choice Scarf set that can revenge kill a multitude of threats, such as Gyarados and Dragonite, and destroy some Rapid Spinner users such as Starmie. A dual screen set can be utilized, or even a bulky set with Will-O-Wisp and Pain Split. It's up to you how to use these sets effectively in research week, as each set has its own merits and potential. Good luck!

Rotom-H
(Courtesy of TrollFreak)
Rotom-H, they are alot of things unique with Rotom-H. For one, it is the only Rotom forme currently in UU. It is also the only Rotom in this Research Week that is weak to Stealth Rock. With resistances to Grass, Bug, Steel, Ice, Fire, Electric, and Flying, Rotom-H will have plenty of opportunities to switch in. Even though it is weak to Water and Rock, Water-types will be hard pressed to switch in due to Rotom-H's powerful Electric-type attacks. It also is the best Rotom forme to work in the sun, as a powerful Overheat boosted even more by sunlight is just hard to beat. While Pokemon such as Tyranitar try to run this oven's fun, Rotom-H is still a great Pokemon to use (and is obviously the best Pokemon to use in this RW!). While the Choiced set may get the most use out of this RW, they are plenty of other sets Rotom can use, such as a defensive set or even a TrickOrb set which cripples any Tyranitar that tries to come in! Nevertheless, the challenge is up to you, the researcher, to decide on what is best for the toaster Pokemon!

Rotom-C (
Courtesy of SkullCandy)
Rotom-C surely is a mixed bag. Its typing is neither particularly offensive or defensive. Although it is immune to Ground and resistant to Water, Electric, Steel and Grass, its weaknesses to Ice, Bug, Fire are enough to keep it out of standard play. However, it does have some utility as a Rain Dance setter, as this gets rid of its Fire weakness and lets it fire off powerful Thunders. Offensively it's a bit better, but by no means excellent. Grass / Electric has an overlapping pool of Pokemon who are are weak to the two, or who resist the two. Water-types take super effective damage from both, whereas Dragon-types take half damage. However, Electric STAB helps Rotom-C to blast past any Flying-types trying to switch into Leaf Storm, and Leaf Storm obliterates Ground-types thinking they can absorb a Thunderbolt or Volt Switch. In the course of Research Week you'll all probably discover the effectiveness of Rotom-C's most common sets (Scarf & Specs) in OU, but do try out some unorthodox combinations. SubCharge, Rain support, SubPain Split/Will-O-Wisp, all have the potential to work, but it's up to you (and us) to find out if they really work!

Anyway that's enough from me, go out and...research!

What effect do these Pokemon have on the metagame? What sets can they run effectively? Which Pokemon counters them/is countered by them? That's for you to discover!

Go ahead and post the teams you used for your endeavors as well as your PO alts and battle logs! (These must be new and not a previously used alt). And don't forget to post screenshots of your ladder climbing acheivements to prove your greatness!

And finally, to quote Tobes:
Just going to mention that intelligent contribution to threads like these could lead to rewards in the long-run, so don't lose motivation!

Rotom alts and award holders

alts: Heliotrope

Rotom-H alts and award holders

alts: Bloegg

Rotom-C alts and award holders

alts: Cut yo lawn, SkullCandi

I would take stab at Rotom-C being the best Rotom form next to Rotom-W in OU. Like Rotom-W, Rotom-C can still beat the omnipresent Sand teams with Leaf Storm, something the other Rotom's will defitnitely have trouble with. Rotom-C is also more potent against rain teams since they can not reliably switch to Gastrodo to stop the Volt-Switch. I think what really holds Rotom-C back isn't the teams it is up against, but that HP Fire and HP Ice are so popular right now. Just some random Poke could have it and take a big chunk of your health.

Personally I see Choice Specs Rotom-C as the best one. Given the pump up of power of Leaf Storm compared to Hydro Pump, it can be deadly. Plus getting locked into a stat lowering move like Leaf Storm sucks as a Scarfer.

Alt: Cut yo lawn

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Although Rotom-H sits in UU and Rotom-C sits in RU, I'm inclined to agree that Rotom-C functions better in the OU environment. Sandstorm is way too unkind to Rotom-H, while Rotom-C has a serious niche as a rain killer. Curious to see which one holds more omnipresent.

Anybody who can make normal Rotom work in OU... kudos because I'm just not envisioning any strong sets coming from him

yeah, normal rotom is a bit pointless isnt it? surely better off testing fridge rotom or fan rotom maybe?

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
Normal Rotom actually has a lot of potential. It destroys Scizor with Will-O-Wisp and a resistance to all of its moves apart from Pursuit (all it has to do is not switch out), and is faster than all the Rotom formes. It can also run a decent SubCharge set that walks all over Blissey/Chansey as it is immune to Seismic Toss and takes nothing from hazards basically.

Anyway, I'm testing Rotom-C on a quick stall rain team. I use Tentacruel and Ferrothorn for hazards, spinning, and paralysis. Next is Magnezone to take out Ferrothorn (who hard counters Rotom-C). Politoed sets up rain and takes out last Pokemon set up with Perish Song. It also helps for stalling things like Starmie out with Toxic and Protect. Next is Latias. I use a defensive mono-attacking set of Calm Mind, Recover, Roar, Dragon Pulse. Although it is walled by Tyranitar and Ferrothorn, they aren't too much of a problem thanks to hazards and my own Ferrothorn or Mag. So far Specs Rotom-C has worked the best, but I'm currently trying out SubCharge.

Alt: SkullCandi

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
yeah, normal rotom is a bit pointless isnt it?
Anybody who can make normal Rotom work in OU... kudos because I'm just not envisioning any strong sets coming from him
  • OP said:
    Be open-minded. Don't deride a Pokemon just because you think it's bad. Test it (and the others) out and at least see what it has to offer.
If you didn't even test the Pokemon, how do you know its bad? One must use it first before one derides a Pokemon. IIRC, Rampardos used to be OU back in the early DPP OU days, but when people started to test it, they realized it was bad. Same thing with Rotom. Test it and see what happens. Just use some if SkullCandy's suggestions, he brought up some points. Also, remember Rotom can be used as a spin blocker, so something else to keep in mind!

surely better off testing fridge rotom or fan rotom maybe?
More from the OP said:
Don't suggest Pokemon in this thread

^____^

Anyways, while I won't be participating in this challenge atm, mostly because I used Rotom and Rotom-H and I HATE Rotom-C from RU, I'll just post a set that I quoted in the intro to Rotom-H, and it has worked alot for me.

@ Flame Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Trick
- Pain Split / Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
This set is used to bait and cripple Tyranitar, Dragonite, Haxorus, or any other Pokemon that try to come in on Rotom-H. This plays like the TrickOrb Reiunclus on site, except unlike the blob, it bluffs the Orb perfectly. Due to its Fire-typing, its won't get burned, and as such, you can play this set like a Choice set. While you think it may be slow without its Choice Scarf, it still outpaces Choice Banded Haxorus, Mamoswine and Gliscor, so you still have enough Speed to bluff a Choice set. And then, when that Tyranitar comes in trying to cripple you, go for the Trick. Not only do you cripple the T-Tar, but you can also get its leftys or a Choice Item to trick on to another Pokemon. Walls also find this set annoying since they lose their recovery from Leftovers and get a Status that hurts them instead.

Volt Switch and Overheat are my only attacking moves because Rotom doesn't need more to bluff a Scarf or Specs since even with a Choice set you will be using Volt Turn and Overheat 99% of the time and with Pain Split Rotom can survive a little longer causing more damage by Switching several items from my opponent's pokes. I slashed in Hidden Power Ice and Grass since it has viability in hitting Dragonite, Salamence or Gastrodon and Quagsire, but I like Pain Split better imo.

Well, thats enough from me, I can't wait to see what you guys come up with!

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
Here are some logs of my recent battles with Rotom-C, take a look, you'll be surprised:

Battle between SkullCandi and Hex. started!

Tier: Standard OU
Mode: Singles
Variation: +34, -56
Rule: Rated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: Wifi Battle

Your team: Rotom-C / Politoed / Magnezone / Latias / Tentacruel / Ferrothorn
Opponent's team: Hippowdon / Landorus / Volcarona / Ferrothorn / Terrakion / Starmie

SkullCandi sent out Rotom-C!
Hex. sent out BigBlaknigga! (Hippowdon)
Hex.'s BigBlaknigga's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!

Start of turn 1
Hex. called BigBlaknigga back!
Hex. sent out Volcano! (Volcarona)
Rotom-C used Volt Switch!
Hex.'s Volcano lost 59% of its health!
SkullCandi called Rotom-C back!
SkullCandi sent out Politoed!
Politoed's Drizzle made it rain!
Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 2
Hex. called Volcano back!
Hex. sent out AwesomeGreen! (Ferrothorn)
Politoed used Scald!
It's not very effective...
A critical hit!
Hex.'s AwesomeGreen lost 31% of its health!
Hex.'s AwesomeGreen was burned!
Rain continues to fall!
Hex.'s AwesomeGreen restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
Hex.'s AwesomeGreen is hurt by its burn!

Start of turn 3
Hex. called AwesomeGreen back!
Hex. sent out WhirldStar! (Starmie)
Politoed used Scald!
Hex.'s WhirldStar lost 27% of its health!
Rain continues to fall!
Hex.'s WhirldStar restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 4
Hex.'s WhirldStar used Hydro Pump!
Politoed lost 127 HP! (33% of its health)
Politoed used Toxic!
Hex.'s WhirldStar was badly poisoned!
Rain continues to fall!
Politoed restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
Hex.'s WhirldStar is hurt by poison!

Start of turn 5
Politoed used Protect!
Politoed protected itself!
Hex.'s WhirldStar used Thunderbolt!
Politoed protected itself!
Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 6
SkullCandi called Politoed back!
SkullCandi sent out Ferrothorn!
Ferrothorn lost 38 HP! (10% of its health)
Ferrothorn is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 7
Hex. called WhirldStar back!
Hex. sent out Volcano! (Volcarona)
Ferrothorn used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around Hex.'s team!
Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 8
SkullCandi called Ferrothorn back!
SkullCandi sent out Tentacruel!
Hex.'s Volcano used Quiver Dance!
Hex.'s Volcano's Sp. Att. rose!
Hex.'s Volcano's Sp. Def. rose!
Hex.'s Volcano's Speed rose!
Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 9
Hex.'s Volcano used Bug Buzz!
Tentacruel lost 132 HP! (36% of its health)
Hex.'s Volcano is hurt by its Life Orb!
Tentacruel used Scald!
It's super effective!
Hex.'s Volcano lost 30% of its health!
Hex.'s Volcano fainted!
Rain continues to fall!
Tentacruel's Rain Dish heals it!
Tentacruel restored a little HP using its Black Sludge!
Pointed stones dug into Hex.'s WhirldStar!

Start of turn 10
Tentacruel used Protect!
Tentacruel protected itself!
Hex.'s WhirldStar used Recover!
Hex.'s WhirldStar regained health!
Rain continues to fall!
Tentacruel's Rain Dish heals it!

Start of turn 11
SkullCandi called Tentacruel back!
SkullCandi sent out Magnezone!
Magnezone lost 40 HP! (11% of its health)
Magnezone is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 12
Magnezone lost 228 HP! (66% of its health)
Magnezone used Light Screen!
Light Screen raised SkullCandi's team special defense!
Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 13
SkullCandi called Magnezone back!
Rotom-C lost 69 HP! (28% of its health)
Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 14
Pointed stones dug into Hex.'s AwesomeGreen!
Rotom-C used Leaf Storm!
Hex.'s AwesomeGreen lost 19% of its health!
Rotom-C's Sp. Att. sharply fell!
Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 15
SkullCandi called Rotom-C back!
Hex.'s AwesomeGreen used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of SkullCandi's team!
Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 16
Ferrothorn used Power Whip!
Hex.'s AwesomeGreen lost 5% of its health!
Hex.'s AwesomeGreen's Iron Barbs hurts Ferrothorn
Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 17
Ferrothorn used Stealth Rock!
But if failed!
Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 18
Hex. called AwesomeGreen back!
Pointed stones dug into Hex.'s BigBlaknigga!
Ferrothorn used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of Hex.'s team!
The sandstorm rages!
Hex.'s BigBlaknigga restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 19
Hex. called BigBlaknigga back!
Pointed stones dug into Hex.'s AwesomeGreen!
Hex.'s AwesomeGreen fainted!
But there was no target...
The sandstorm rages!
SkullCandi's light screen wore off!
Hex. sent out Terracotta! (Terrakion)
Pointed stones dug into Hex.'s Terracotta!
Hex.'s Terracotta is hurt by spikes!

Start of turn 20
SkullCandi sent out Magnezone!
Magnezone is hurt by spikes!
Magnezone fainted!
Hex.'s Terracotta used Close Combat!
But there was no target...
The sandstorm rages!
SkullCandi sent out Latias!

Start of turn 21
Latias used Calm Mind!
Latias's Sp. Att. rose!
Latias's Sp. Def. rose!
Latias lost 181 HP! (49% of its health)
Hex.'s Terracotta's Defense fell!
Hex.'s Terracotta's Sp. Def. fell!
The sandstorm rages!
Latias is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Latias restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 22
Latias used Dragon Pulse!
Hex.'s Terracotta lost 56% of its health!
Latias lost 177 HP! (48% of its health)
The sandstorm rages!
Latias is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Latias fainted!
SkullCandi sent out Tentacruel!
Tentacruel is hurt by spikes!

Start of turn 23
Tentacruel lost 177 HP! (48% of its health)
Tentacruel used Scald!
It's super effective!
Hex.'s Terracotta lost 25% of its health!
Hex.'s Terracotta fainted!
The sandstorm rages!
Tentacruel is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Pointed stones dug into Hex.'s WhirldStar!
Hex.'s WhirldStar is hurt by spikes!

Start of turn 24
SkullCandi called Tentacruel back!
SkullCandi sent out Politoed!
Politoed is hurt by spikes!
Politoed's Drizzle made it rain!
Hex.'s WhirldStar used Rapid Spin!
Politoed lost 12 HP! (3% of its health)
Hex.'s WhirldStar blew away Spikes!
Hex.'s WhirldStar blew away Stealth Rock!
Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 25
SkullCandi called Politoed back!
Ferrothorn is hurt by spikes!
Ferrothorn lost 43 HP! (12% of its health)
Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 26
Hex. sent out Aboundance! (Landorus)
Hex.'s Aboundance lost 45% of its health!
Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 27
Hex.'s Aboundance used Earthquake!
It had no effect!
Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 28
Hex.'s Aboundance used Earthquake!
It had no effect!
Rotom-C used Leaf Storm!
Hex.'s Aboundance lost 54% of its health!
Hex.'s Aboundance fainted!
Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 29
Rotom-C used Leaf Storm!
It's super effective!
Hex.'s BigBlaknigga lost 100% of its health!
Hex.'s BigBlaknigga fainted!
The sandstorm rages!
Rotom-C is buffeted by the sandstorm!

Start of turn 30
Rotom-C lost 79 HP! (32% of its health)
Rotom-C used Leaf Storm!
It's super effective!
Hex.'s WhirldStar lost 87% of its health!
Hex.'s WhirldStar fainted!

SkullCandi won the battle!
Hex.: fucking shit

The window was disabled due to one of the players closing the battle window.

edit: format messed up

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Although Rotom-H sits in UU and Rotom-C sits in RU, I'm inclined to agree that Rotom-C functions better in the OU environment. Sandstorm is way too unkind to Rotom-H, while Rotom-C has a serious niche as a rain killer. Curious to see which one holds more omnipresent.

You would be surprised actually, I tried a normal Rotom set not long ago as a Volturn blocker and a spinblocker and it wasn't too bad at all, I think better than Rotom-F would be and maybe better than Rotom-S, i'll try it again later on a different team but it has a lot of uses to beat offensive teams, given its Ghost typing and Levitate.

EDIT: I'll research original Rotom under Heliotrope I guess.

I made ~1450 with a rotom-C team a month or two ago, so i guess ill try him out again.

Alt: ugh ill find one thats not in use and post it when im at a PO computer

The original Rotom sets I have been using to great success is the scarf set, Or the dual screen sets which can be useful in HO. I will show any logs here that I deem worthy and show off Rotom's usefulness. It's been a long time since I used it so I will ladder with it soon. I will also explore the bulky set, which I haven't tried at all yet. (The sets I used before are shown before). I emphasise the role of Rotom as a spinblocker, as it can be a very useful in this role in teams while still keeping momentum.

Rotom @ Choice Scarf Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick
Rotom @ Light Clay Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Volt Switch
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Will-O-Wisp

Needs moar Rotom-S and Rotom-F

But yeah, Rotom-C and Rotom-H are sorely lacking in usage. They both do very well in OU, with Rotom-C arguably taking the cake against the all too common Rain and Sand teams nowadays. I'd venture to say Rotom-C is a decent check to Volt-Turn, despite being weak to U-Turn. It can't really come in and stop the chain, but if you manage get it in, the opponent will be hard pressed to continue it.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well, with the thread being as dead as it is, I'm assuming that people are having fun testing these Pokemon!

Anywho, I'm going to test both the orginal and heat Rotom formes myself, under the alts

ToasterTom and TV-Rotom

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
These guys are definitely in the dark. I'll go with Rotom-C under the Alt Yonko3

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
As the Smogon server hasn't been great lately I've been laddering on PO instead. Finally broke the 1300 mark with my Rotom-C team.

I'm still laddering with it, so I don't want to reveal the team just yet, but as soon as I start to tilt I'll upload.

Yeah well that tilt started...already. I'm on about 1260 now. Anyway here's the team. It started off as a quick stall team with the standard defensive rain core of Ferrothorn/Politoed/Tentacruel, with Specs Rotom-C firing off Thunders left and right and SubCharge Magnezone, who pretty much got two kills everytime I saw a team with Ferrothorn on it. My final team member varied from Specs Sniper Kingdra (lol at all the people quitting because they thought I broke Swift Swim clause), to LO Latios, to LO Starmie, but eventually I settled on a much less offensive, but just as deadly Pokemon in...Max Speed Jolly SubProtect Gliscor! Lol all you want but if you are slower than Gliscor and get hit by Toxic on the way in you are dead. There's literally no other way to put it. Also, the amount of Terrakion who run Adamant and are like WTF when I outspeed and OHKO with Earthquake. Anyway, Mag wasn't working anymore and I was ridiculously weak to Tornadus so I went for the standard SpD Jirachi with Protect. So in the end it's more of a full rain stall team, which is pretty great because I usually play balanced or offense, and I'm glad I got so high with a playstyle that's usually foreign to me! Anyway, here's the exportable of the team:

Rotom-C @ Choice Specs
Levitate
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest
-Leaf Storm
-Volt Switch
-Thunder
-Trick

Politoed @ Leftovers
Drizzle
248 HP / 220 Def / 40 Spe
Bold
-Scald
-Toxic
-Protect
-Perish Song

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Serene Grace
252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful
-Iron Head
-Body Slam
-Wish
-Protect

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly
-Substitute
-Protect
-Earthquake
-Toxic

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Rain Dish
248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold
-Scald
-Toxic Spikes
-Protect
-Rapid Spin

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Iron Barbs
248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful
-Power Whip
-Gyro Ball
-Spikes
-Stealth Rock

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)