Return of the Jedi: Gen 5 Ubers RMT

Hey guys, so this is my first post on the forums in a while (last I was active was late Gen 4...it's been that long?) and I decided I'd start becoming a bit more active.

I disliked the sheer variety and necessity to find counters and build teams to accommadate the sheer number of Pokemon in Gen 5 OU, so I gave Ubers a try, and I love it. I've been playing a lot in what limited time I have on the PO server (PS runs way too slowly and laggy for me, especially with my school's bad wifi connection...). I decided I'd present this team for comment and criticism to help out with this team.

This team is built around helping the Chosen One, the one destined to bring balance to the Force--Anakin Skywalker! (aka Mewtwo). It gets counters and other bad things Mewtwo doesn't like out of the way so it can kill everything after setting up with Calm Mind Boosts.
So, without further ado, let's present the team!

Detailed Analysis:

The Lead: Mace Windu (Darkrai) @Focus Sash
Nature: Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
-Dark Void
-Dark Pulse
-Nasty Plot
-Focus Blast

The greatest swordsman the Jedi Order has known leads at the forefront! Darkrai is the perfect anti-lead/special sweeper, as well as getting rid of Lugia and opposing Mewtwo. It can also shut down other strong Pokemon that might be a threat to the team in general. The theory is simple Darkrai lead logic: against normal leads, I Dark Void, set up a Nasty Plot, and proceed to kill at least one thing before it dies. Against Deoxys leads and teams that clearly run Magic Bounce Espeon, I’ll Dark Pulse immediately. If they Taunt, I get a free kill. If not, they get maybe a barrier or a layer of hazards up, but I have ways of dealing with that. Focus Blast is there for coverage against Steel- and Rock- types, and with a +2 Special Attack boost it can put dents in a lot of things.

The Mixed Wall: Yoda (Ferrothorn) @Leftovers
Nature: Sassy (+SDef, -Spd)
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Atk / 100 Def / 108 SDef IVs: 0 Spd
-Stealth Rock
-Gyro Ball
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip

Part of the famous FerrOgre core, Ferry is. Perform his job well, he does. …okay, I’ll stop now. Rocks is for hazards to deter things like Lugia and other potential counters to Mewtwo, and helps the team overall. Gyro Ball is for fast sweepers, hitting for max damage thanks to Sassy and a 0 Speed IV. Leech Seed is for healing and general stall, or to force switches to help setups. Power Whip is for hitting opposing Kyogre and Manaphy. The defenses are to make Ferrothorn more balanced defensively, although suggestions would be appreciated.

The Megatank: Qui-Gon Jinn (Kyogre) @Chesto Berry
Nature: Calm (+SDef, -Atk)
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Surf
-Thunder

The wise Master Qui-Gon Jinn exercises patience in his battle plans. This is a slightly altered ChestoRestTalk Kyogre that I discovered playing on the PS server. It acts as a sleep counter to Darkrai and provides a lot of power. Surf hits pretty hard, even for a non-Specs Kyogre. Thunder is for coverage—it’s more critical to hit things and paralyze them than freeze them with Ice Beam, especially because it helps out my sweepers immensely. It also completes the FerrOgre core that forms the backbone of my team’s defenses.

The Chosen One: Anakin Skywalker (Mewtwo) @Life Orb
Nature: Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
-Calm Mind
-Psystrike
-Aura Sphere
-Ice Beam

The one destined to bring balance to the Force—here he is, in his full glory! Seriously, Mewtwo is crazy good when used right and with the right support. LO Mewtwo puts a dent in everything, and with Calm Mind boost(s), he can tear through most of the metagame. Psystrike is ridiculously powerful, especially against things with lower Defense (which is a large majority of the Uber metagame). Aura Sphere is for Darkrai, Dark Arceus, and Steel types—unboosted Darkrai will always be outsped and OHKO’d by Life Orb-boosted Aura Sphere (2HKO’d with the presence of Focus Sash), while Rai can only 2HKO with Dark Pulse. Ice Beam is for Giratina forms and Dragons who think they can mess with Mewtwo, and provides general coverage.

The Healer and Negotiator: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Blissey) @Leftovers
Nature: Calm (+SDef, -Atk)
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
-Wish
-Heal Bell
-Seismic Toss
-Thunder Wave

Ah, yes. The Negotiator—General Kenobi. One thing I will mention is that I do not like Eviolite Chansey in general—it doesn’t have the staying power of Blissey, and Wish works on Blissey better, considering the new Gen 5 Wish mechanics. It’s for more general team support, but also to keep Mewtwo healed. Heal Bell exists for that same reason, except for status (and the Wish-Aromatherapy combination is illegal). Toss is to prevent total stall, and Thunder Wave is for spreading paralysis—outspeeding things makes Mewtwo’s job much easier.

The Son of the Chosen: Luke Skywalker (Kabutops) @Life Orb
Nature: Jolly(+Spd, -SAtk)
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
-Waterfall
-Stone Edge
-Low Kick
-Rapid Spin

Okay, maybe there was something wrong with my targeting computer—Kabutops works wonders better than Excadrill did (thanks to Sweep for the suggestion!). Kabutops fills the role of physical sweeper on this team, utilizing Kyogre’s rain and his own Speed to outrun and take out opponents. Waterfall hits like a tank with Kabutops’ 115 base Attack stat and STAB. On the opposite edge (pun intended) of STAB is Stone Edge, which also hits hard and can take out things like Ho-Oh and Lugia before they set up Subs. Low Kick deals quite nicely with Dialga and Ferrothorn. Rapid Spin keeps entry hazards off the field so my sweepers can work more easily. With the given Speed EV’s and Jolly nature, Kabutops can outspeed and OHKO Scarf Terrakion in the rain, which is a huge problem for Mewtwo. Kabutops’ fraility and Life Orb recoil is also slightly mitigated by Wish support from Blissey, so it can sweep just a little bit more.

EDIT 3/2: I've noticed recently that this team has problems with Genesect and Ghostceus, as well as Sucker Punch/Moxie Honchkrow. The latter isn't seen as often, but the former two are so any suggestions on those would be appreciated.

So, comments? Questions? Suggestions? Any and all are welcome! And remember, may the Force be with you all!

I would replace Water Spout with Surf, since Kyogre isn't very fast so Surf will be a much more consistent option. On Darkrai, I would only use Substitute in conjunction with leftovers...otherwise, use Thunder Wave or another attacking move (preferably TWave since your opponent will rarely stay in and TWave essentially cripples everything).

Protect isn't that good a move on Ferrothorn, especially without Leftovers. I would use Power Whip instead to hit Kyogre and Manaphy. I like your Blissey and Mewtwo sets as is.

Excadrill will rarely sweep. It has only one real attacking move that cannot hits flying types at all. It is slow and has some common weaknesses. I would consider Kabutops as your spinner instead, at it hits a LOT harder, runs much faster, and has an easy time sweeping if you are into that. A Waterfall/Stone Edge/Rapid Spin/Low Kick or Swords Dance set would works wonders if you are looking for a physical sweeper.

Good luck!

I agree with most of Sweep's suggestions and really believe Surf > Water Spout will help your Ogre dish out consistent damage. Also, don't use Sub with a Sash Darkrai and while you could use Thunder Wave, I'd opt for Focus Blast so you don't get walled to death by Steel types like Ferrothorn, Dialga, and/or Arceus-Steel. It will be especially strong if you can get a Nasty Plot boost! Of course, its 70% accuracy is something you must consider but the coverage granted makes Darkrai much more difficult to switch into.

Damage Calculations:
252 SpAtk Darkrai Focus Blast vs 252 HP/252 SpDef (+SpDef) Ferrothorn : 50% - 59.09% (2 hits to KO)
252 +2 SpAtk Darkrai Focus Blast vs 252 HP/252 SpDef (+SpDef) Ferrothorn : 99.43% - 117.05% (93.75% chance to OHKO)

252 SpAtk Darkrai Focus Blast vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Dialga (+SpDef) : 48.02% - 56.93% (2-3 hits to KO)
252 +2 SpAtk Darkrai Focus Blast vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Dialga (+SpDef) : 95.54% - 112.87% (75% chance to OHKO)

252 SpAtk Darkrai Focus Blast vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Arceus-Steel: 51.8% - 61.26% (2 hits to KO)
252 +2 SpAtk Darkrai Focus Blast vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Arceus-Steel: 103.6% - 122.07% (Guaranteed OHKO
)

Next, if you don't replace Exca with Kabutops, I think Rock Slide > Sub on Excadrill would be better so that you are able to hit Ho-oh who can easily set up a Sub on Ferro & Blissey

Also, I'd run ~20 more speed EVs into Excadrill just to make sure you don't get outsped by speed creeping base 90s, especially defensive variants of Dialga and bulky variants of Giratina(-O) which is pretty important.

Ferrothorn really should be holding Leftovers > Rocky Helmet, especially with Leech Seed and Protect. In Ubers, most attackers are special attackers & Ferrothorn's Steel/Grass typing lets him really take special moves better (think of all the Draco Meteors, Surfs, Thunders, etc. you switch him into), so Rocky Helmet's usefulness is limited and Iron Barbs is already great. Leech Seed + Leftovers really lets Ferrothorn stick around.

Good luck with your team and also adding pictures would really make this RMT easier on the eyes!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)