Returning Battler. Any tips?

Hello there. As the title says I am a person who is returning for another round of competitive battling. I used to do a lot of it around 3 years ago (4th gen) and while I wouldn't consider myself a "seasoned veteran" I still knew the basics. The main two reasons why I quit was because of PC gaming and the horribly long breeding+training process. With the discovery of battle simulators, the fire seems to be burning yet again. I know the rules state that you test teams before you submit them here but at the moment I cannot due to obscenely high packet loss spikes (causing lots of disconnections.) Anyway, let's get onto teams, shall we?

From what I could remember, I based my teams on: Lead, Att Threat, Sp.Att Threat, Def Wall, Sp.Def Wall and a spare slot. The only exceptions being themed teams (E.G. Weather oriented), or novelty teams (E.G Eeveelution team.) Here's the main OU team I used to use in DPPt just to show what my team building skills were like and also to see how viable this team still is:

Infernape: A mixed offensive lead sounds fine to me. I can use Fake Out to break any potential focus sashes and then proceed to pummel on them with STAB attacks; Using stealth rock when needed. I gave myself a focus sash just in case I wanted to suicide against a threat for stealth rocks/big damage.

Scizor: Probably the most common att sweeper I know of. Pretty standard moveset so not much to say about him.

Gengar: An all out Sp.Att threat with all four moves for coverage. Again, not much I can really say that people don't already know about.

Gliscor: A Def Wall with a mission. To swords pass like no other for some scary sweeps. With an added roost for sustain and an earthquake for self sweeping/checks to those considering the taunt.

Umbreon: A little mix between Cursebreon and cleric. Capable of tanking both sides of damage thanks to base stats, nature and curse; While dealing heavy damage with payback. Heal bell is there for support/anti-stalling and moonlight for healing. Personally I prefer moonlight over wish as the heal is instant and saves up another move slot as opposed to the common wish-protect tactic. Replacing it due to party heals is debatable though.

Starmie: A nice finisher to the team in my opinion. More special damage that's fast and has access to rapid spin. Abusing Expert Belt on it though as it's coverage is nice.

From reviewing the team, What I'm thinking is that I may switch out Infernape's Fire Blast for Overheat (increased accuracy and I don't think I'd keep him in for long), Gliscor's Leftovers for a Toxic orb to abuse his new Poison Heal ability and Scizor's Swords Dance as I can't remember when I ever used it. Don't ask about the erratic EVs on Gengar and the HP Fire. I honestly can't remember why I did it so I can't help you with that one.

In terms of checks, the main thing that comes to mind is dragon types. Which I'm thinking it may be a good idea to replace Starmie's thunderbolt with ice beam or even change Gengar's HP to ice if I can't figure out why I put it there.

Also, here's a team I pieced together to get back into the game:

Note: I've yet to try this team. So I'm just going from what it seems like.

Metagross: Again, another offensive lead with access to stealth rock and a hard hitting moveset. I'm running leftovers to compliment it's tankiness as I'd plan on keeping him for later if need be.

Dragonite: A nice offensive sweeper with decent bulk and an amazing ability behind it's back. Running dragon claw for a reliable STAB, fire punch for steel types and extremespeed for priority checks. I'm thinking of putting a shell bell on it to compliment it's ability (Allowing it to activate multiple times.)

Keldeo-R: Jesus christ this seems like a godsend for special threats. Reasonable typing, lovely stats and access to secret sword. I'm debating whether I should use specs or life orb though. Again, mainly because of how good the focus blast/secret sword combo sounds.

Latias: Gotta love dual screeners. Who wouldn't want doubled defences when sweeping? With healing wish I can bring back someone for round two and a draco meteor for an out-of-the-blue chunk on a poor soul's health.

Infernape: I admit, this guy is too good to miss out on for the same reason why Keldeo-R sounds so good. not as nice typing though in my opinion.

Mamoswine: Just in case something gets out of hand, Mamoswine can come in and stop the chaos. Running an adamant nature and life orb because I want those ice shards to hit as hard as possible. Again, debating using either life orb or choice band.

Thinking about what it's weakness is, the only thing I can think of is lack of phazing so some pokémon may be able to freely set up. Though I'm hoping I can wipe said pokémon out before it gets out of hand.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Mind trying out that new team?
Managed to get a quick couple battles in with a friend. While I wasn't too busy lagging my way into disconnect city, Figured out that against an offensive team, Mamoswine begins to shine, while Latias has hardly any time to set up before something can take it out. Everything else I didn't really get much use into. Also, in case you forgot:
I know the rules state that you test teams before you submit them here but at the moment I cannot due to obscenely high packet loss spikes (causing lots of disconnections.)
So at the moment giving it a proper test run is nigh-impossible for me. I do apologize about it but when an ISP cares more about the money than the consumer, this tends to happen a lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)