Revenge of Gods - moving from VGC to OU - RMT, please

So, here I am, building my very first OU team post PokeBank. I have been a VGC player (whereas not a really good one) for a while, but due to some friends insisting upon me building up an OU team to battle against them, and it seems I did it quite ok, since I'm doing better than ever with the team in OU ladder (1300 for me is awesome, as I never ever got over 1200 before)

So, onto the team:

Taranis (Manectric) (M) @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 52 HP / 252 SAtk / 204 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Well, the first thing I knew was that I wanted to have Manectric as my mega. With that said, I just got the one I've been using for a while for VGC, and just changed Protect for Thunderbolt. Sometimes I just can't get that KO with Volt Switch, despite it being really necessary to gain momentum and to escape from Perish Trappers all around. Flamethrower is there to avoid being stalled out by Grass types. The original move there was Overheat, but despite it being really strong, two F-throwers cause more damage, and I still can use Taranis without worrying that he would be weaker. HP Ice is obligatory there, since I want to hit dragons. The EV spread is enough for me to outspeed Garchomp after Mega Evolving, and also to get a little bulkier. After the Intimidate, he can survive many E-quakes he wouldn't with 4 HP.

Cernnunos (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 46 Def / 212 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

Second thing I knew I wanted to put in the team was Landorus-T. I had used one in my OU Sand Gravity team last year with success. The EV Spread it for maximum attack power and also to outspeed Mega Manectric, his fastest non-scarfed threat. As I can OHKO Manectric, unless they run some crazy set with more than 148 HP (and even then, I have a pretty good chance to do it), I decided to move everything else to DEF, as I can safely survive a Life Orb Icicle Crash from Mamoswine and U-Turn after it, or just go for plain E-quake, in case it has less than 56% of life. Superpower is to hit through normal Pokémon, specially Chansey and Blissey, and Knock off is to do wonderful things to Eviolite users everywhere, as well as Lum Berries and other annoying things, such as Leftovers and stuff. Rock Slide is for Rock power, as I don`t like to run anything with less accuracy than it. Another reason for Landorus-T is that it has great synergy with Manectric, and I can play with U-Turn if I want, hitting Dark and Psychic Pokémon pretty strongly. And with this speed, I can even U-Turn kill Greninja If I get a nice roll.

Athena (Aegislash) (F) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head

Landorus-T attracts Ice-type attacks. So I need a steel Pokémon to counter it. Aegislash can switch in safely in front of most Landorus-T threats. Despite having a different name, Athena was the first Pokémon I fully trained in my Pokémon Y, because it's awesome. I know that the set with King's Shield is a little easy to predict against, but my idea is to first show the King's Shield is there, and then to play with that idea, Swords Dancing or attacking when they think I'll try to protect. Another surprise is Weakness Policy. I saw someone using it in a VGC battle and loved the idea. Aegis is one of the few Pokémon that can take a hit and still survive with enough energy to keep fighting. And if I can predict things correctly, I can Shield into a Fire Punch or Fire Fang, reduce the foe's Pokémon attack and survive even better. And as most Knock Off users will try to target Aegis to to the generally used Leftovers, I can get a nice +4 attack boost. I chose Iron Head instead of Sacred Sword because I've missed a Steel attack many more times than a Fighting attack, and I honestly don't know how to use her without it. +4 Iron Head followed by priority Shadow Sneak can KO almost anything. And if I can predict a switch and set off another Swords, there aren't many things that can deal with +6 Aegis attacking around.

Blodeuwedd (Sylveon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 92 SAtk / 166 Def
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Heal Bell

The first Pokémon I tried at this spot was Umbreon. With almost the same spread and moves, but with Foul Play instead of Hyper Voice. But then I found out the high number of Outrages in OU and the fact that OU Sylveon can have a REALLY STRONG Hyper Voice, and that was enough for me to set the deal (summing up the fact that I once promised to use Sylveon in my first competitive team, since it's a new evolution of my favorite Pokémon. Besides that, she's the generic Cleric, with Wish + Heal Bell to solve the team's problems. I generally can profit using Wish with full life and having a weak Pokémon on the back, because people generally think I'm going to switch out and adjust accordingly. If that's the case, I generally attack, because they'll generally try to set up. The spread is to have maximum Wish capability, a real good defense and also to be able to 2HKO Gliscor, even after 2 turns of healing, among other things that a 4 SAtk spread cannot obtain.

Hermes (Latios) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Shadow Ball

This was a friend's suggestion, and it seems to work pretty well. Specs Latios can hit really hard, and even things that resist his attacks but are not that bulky (such as Cloyster against Surf) suffer. I originally ran Energy Ball to hit water and ground types really strong, but I changed to Surf due to having two Steel Pokémon, so I need extra coverage against fire type. Moreover, without Surf, Latios is completely stalled out by Heatran. The last spot is still open. I run Shadow Ball to get Gardevoirs, Gengars, and other Psychic and Ghost Pokémon that could give me troubles. I've also tried HP Fire, mainly to hit Scizor, Mega Pinsir and Heracross, among other pesky bugs, but I'm not sure about what move I'm going to miss more. Draco Meteor is to hit other dragons and I prefer Psyshock to deal with Venusaur, Amoonguss and Pokémon such as Blissey, that are able to sponge all other moves. Small Edit here: I'm thinking about putting Energy Ball back, to deal with Rotom-W, but I'm not sure if I should take Shadow Ball out.

Poseidon (Empoleon) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SDef
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Protect
- Toxic
- Defog

Ok, this is really unusual, right? I mean, who runs Empoleon nowadays? Well, I do for some reasons. FIrst of all, I'd rather have another Pokémon weak to ground types, since I have two that are immune to them than to have another weak to Ice type. I tried to Pokémon here before, Zapdos and Mandibuzz, but the weakness to Ice really bottered me, since the only Pokémon I can safely switch in front of any Ice attack is Aegislash, and in a team with Latios and Landorus-T, I need one more Ice resist. Besides that, both Zapdos and Mandibuzz are not that effective as Defoggers, since they're weak to Stealth Rocks. Moreover, I like to have a water-type Pokémon in the team, and all these things made me choose Empoleon. He is immune to Toxic (which also makes it great against Bouncers and Synchronizers) and Toxic Spikes, suffers just a little damage from SR, can Defog safely because he has lots of nice resists and can hit hard with Hydro Pump even without investment. Besides that, Torrent makes the attack stronger, so if he gets hit and barely survives, even Pokémon that resist will get a nice chunk of damage. Leftovers + Protect + Toxic is kind of a well known combination for bulky water-type Pokémon, with the difference that I can't be in the middle of it. 4 x resist agains Ice is pretty nice as well, as it synergize really well with my other Pokémon. His weakness to E-quake is not that much of a problem, since I can use Protect to lock a potentially choiced foe and then safely switch out and put some of my immune Pokémon for free, now free of SR and other pesky hazards, as well as free to attack without screens. The spread is to maximize his effectiveness as a sort of a tank, since his SAtk doesn't need that much of an investment, due to his role in the team.

That's my team. Bear in mind that I haven't played OU seriously for a long while, and decided to choose some Pokémon that I'm familiar with, as well as some Pokémon to fill specific roles. I did 29 battles with the team, with a record of 20-9, so I know it's not bad. I don't watch Band-Aid solutions, as in "take this Pokémon out, put that", I'd like some constructive criticism, as I have an OU tourney to fight this Saturday, and any help to do better than I ever did is welcome.

Thanks a lot for your attention.

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Hey Prof. Almeida nice team!

I like you're team, really. I have used the VoltTurn Intimidate core you have here in the past and wanted to make an RMT about it too. I mean, the core just proves to put a very good showing in most of my games. However, you have one HUGE weakness, and this is you can't handle Bisharp. That is one weakness you should consider when making Intimidate teams as he can easily take advantage of your stat drops. You also lack a good cleaner after all of the work LandoMane has done. And most important of all for all variants of VoltTurn, you don't have Stealth Rock, as without it you can't accumulate the passive damage you should be inflicting as often you force switches. I'll go through each one, and hopefully my suggestions prove to be of help to you.

Bisharp easily OHKOes you're whole - 1 team, and it can easily gain very crucial boosts by taking advantage of you're Intimidates and Defogs through Defiant. I'll let these calcs do the talking:
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Mega Manectric: 328-386 (111.5 - 131.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 46 Def Landorus-T: 282-333 (88.4 - 104.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 307-367 (94.7 - 113.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 166 Def Sylveon: 416-491 (105.5 - 124.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 439-517 (145.3 - 171.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Empoleon: 173-204 (46.5 - 54.8%) -- 62.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

So, the only thing that can live Bisharp happens to be the momentum killer and the user of Defog that can raise Bisharp's attack to jack levels; that's bad. To remedy this, I recommend you to use AV Conkeldurr over Empoleon as it can easily put intense pressure on Bisharp as it can easily OHKO with Mach Punch. It also gives you a "tank" that helps Sylveon in her load of taking hits. This mon also has utility in Knock Off and recovery in Drain Punch allowing him to show his skills throughout a game. He just provides some "chip damage" that eases the work of you're LandoMane. He also makes a good status sponge as he can raise his power with Guts.
Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Guts
Adamant | 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Now, you have a good core that handles the weakening of mons; however, you lack that one good cleaner. Aegislash has good synergy with your team, so I recommend to change him into an Autotomize set. This guy allows you to have that final sweeper that takes out the scraps of what's left after the work of your core. I'm recommending this over StanceDance as Sneak is still weak and you're too slow to make use of it. Just make sure priority is gone if you want to use this.
Aegislash @ Weakness Policy / Life Orb
Rash / Modest | 252 Spa / 88 Atk / 168 Spe
- Autotomize
- Shadow Ball
- HP Ice
- Iron Head / Sacred Sword / Flash Cannon

Shamelessly taken from here but e.e. Shadow Ball is the STAB move, the one to SPAM. HP Ice handles many of his would be checks Lando(-T), Gliscor, Garchomp, etc. Last slot depends on what you want to hit.

Now, provided you followed my Defog suggestion earlier, use LO + Defog on Latios. This gives you a way of handling hazards that would surely prove to be a hindrance to your VoltTurn antics. This also grants Latios mobility that helps in taking out a wider range of threats. Just change the item and Defog > Shadow Ball and it's good to go. Another minor suggestion is to use EQ over Surf as you said it's mostly for Heatran; it allows you to damage it heavily as a surprise lure move. It also gives you a weapon against Bisharp but it's mostly not advised to go head-to-head with it.

Now, this is just a nitpick, but SR will do you wonders as your VoltTurn can easily pressure opponents to make switches a lot, meaning you can rack up some passive damage. I suggest you remove the Scarf from your Lando and give it Leftovers or Earth Plate in order to make room for Stealth Rock > Superpower. The Lefties give it some recovery, while Earth Plate gives you some more power in EQ. If you do, change the EV spread to 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe in to achieve bulk while outspeeding Adamant Gyarados. If wanted, Stone Edge can go over Rock Slide for more power.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hey Prof. Almeida. Nice team you have here.

Memoric covered most of what needed to be done. However for Latios I wanted to also add the following:

Latios @ Life Orb
EV: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Ability: Levitate
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Psyshock
- Defog

Don't change you Atk IVs to 0 and change his nature so that you can allow your EQ to deal as much damage as possible without being invested.

Also, I'm not a fan of WP Aegi personally. I personally prefer a mixed wallbreaker as such:

Aegislash @ Air Balloon
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword

Like I said, this is a personal preference but just floating it out there to see if it piques your interest.

Happy Battling.

Hey Prof. Almeida nice team!

I like you're team, really. I have used the VoltTurn Intimidate core you have here in the past and wanted to make an RMT about it too. I mean, the core just proves to put a very good showing in most of my games. However, you have one HUGE weakness, and this is you can't handle Bisharp. That is one weakness you should consider when making Intimidate teams as he can easily take advantage of your stat drops. You also lack a good cleaner after all of the work LandoMane has done. And most important of all for all variants of VoltTurn, you don't have Stealth Rock, as without it you can't accumulate the passive damage you should be inflicting as often you force switches. I'll go through each one, and hopefully my suggestions prove to be of help to you.

Bisharp easily OHKOes you're whole - 1 team, and it can easily gain very crucial boosts by taking advantage of you're Intimidates and Defogs through Defiant. I'll let these calcs do the talking:
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Mega Manectric: 328-386 (111.5 - 131.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 46 Def Landorus-T: 282-333 (88.4 - 104.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 307-367 (94.7 - 113.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 166 Def Sylveon: 416-491 (105.5 - 124.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 439-517 (145.3 - 171.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Empoleon: 173-204 (46.5 - 54.8%) -- 62.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

So, the only thing that can live Bisharp happens to be the momentum killer and the user of Defog that can raise Bisharp's attack to jack levels; that's bad. To remedy this, I recommend you to use AV Conkeldurr over Empoleon as it can easily put intense pressure on Bisharp as it can easily OHKO with Mach Punch. It also gives you a "tank" that helps Sylveon in her load of taking hits. This mon also has utility in Knock Off and recovery in Drain Punch allowing him to show his skills throughout a game. He just provides some "chip damage" that eases the work of you're LandoMane. He also makes a good status sponge as he can raise his power with Guts.
Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Guts
Adamant | 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Now, you have a good core that handles the weakening of mons; however, you lack that one good cleaner. Aegislash has good synergy with your team, so I recommend to change him into an Autotomize set. This guy allows you to have that final sweeper that takes out the scraps of what's left after the work of your core. I'm recommending this over StanceDance as Sneak is still weak and you're too slow to make use of it. Just make sure priority is gone if you want to use this.
Aegislash @ Weakness Policy / Life Orb
Rash / Modest | 252 Spa / 88 Atk / 168 Spe
- Autotomize
- Shadow Ball
- HP Ice
- Iron Head / Sacred Sword / Flash Cannon

Shamelessly taken from here but e.e. Shadow Ball is the STAB move, the one to SPAM. HP Ice handles many of his would be checks Lando(-T), Gliscor, Garchomp, etc. Last slot depends on what you want to hit.

Now, provided you followed my Defog suggestion earlier, use LO + Defog on Latios. This gives you a way of handling hazards that would surely prove to be a hindrance to your VoltTurn antics. This also grants Latios mobility that helps in taking out a wider range of threats. Just change the item and Defog > Shadow Ball and it's good to go. Another minor suggestion is to use EQ over Surf as you said it's mostly for Heatran; it allows you to damage it heavily as a surprise lure move. It also gives you a weapon against Bisharp but it's mostly not advised to go head-to-head with it.

Now, this is just a nitpick, but SR will do you wonders as your VoltTurn can easily pressure opponents to make switches a lot, meaning you can rack up some passive damage. I suggest you remove the Scarf from your Lando and give it Leftovers or Earth Plate in order to make room for Stealth Rock > Superpower. The Lefties give it some recovery, while Earth Plate gives you some more power in EQ. If you do, change the EV spread to 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe in to achieve bulk while outspeeding Adamant Gyarados. If wanted, Stone Edge can go over Rock Slide for more power.

Good luck!
Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I'll indeed try Conkeldurr and the non-specs Latios. However, I really wouldn't like to remove Scarf from Landorus-T, as it's what makes the EV spread makes sense and I really don't want to die to Mega Manectric and Greninja, and this set makes that possible. I'll test Autotomize set on Aegis. I won't be able to do it for this weekend, but I'm sure on Showdown at least I can try.

Thanks a lot for all of your in-depth analysis, and it's really nice to know that my first OU team is not bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)