Risky Business - An OU Warstory

Risky Business
--An OU Warstory

-Here I was, laddering on Shoddy with my brand new OU team. That afternoon, I had been having great success with this team, only losing a couple matches here and there, keeping a very high win ratio. I run into a routine ladder match against a user named Sparko. I’d never seen him before or anything, so I expected a pretty simple victory.

Did I win? Continue reading to find out.

Xephyr:
--Team Fireworks

Sparko:
--???

I’ll leave his team a mystery until the end. Keep it a surprise.

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause, Soul Dew Clause

Log will be in bold.
Comments will be in blue.
Throughout the battle when I'm posting the Pokemon's percentage, mine will be on top while Sparko's is on bottom.

Sparko sent out Metagross (lvl 100 Metagross).
xephyr sent out Swampert (lvl 100 Swampert ♂).

- 100%

- 100%

I send out my lead of choice against an ever-so-common lead Metagross. I've never really been the type to obsess over getting Stealth Rock up, so I opt to simply throw an Earthquake at it and see what happens.

Sparko switched in Gyarados (lvl 100 Gyarados ♂).
Gyarados's intimidate cut Swampert's attack!
Swampert used Earthquake.
It doesn't affect Gyarados...

- 100%

- 100%

Well that's unfortunate. My Swampert won't be able to defeat any kind of Gyarados at full health, especially if it's a RestTalk variant. I decide to switch to my ace wallbreaker and only true Gyarados counter.

xephyr switched in Jirachi (lvl 100 Jirachi).
Gyarados used Dragon Dance.
Gyarados's attack was raised.
Gyarados's speed was raised.

- 100%
- 100% (+1 atk, +1 spd)

In most situations I would be very scared right now. Fortunately, though, my Jirachi is a special Jirachi that's pretty much made to defeat Gyarados. Mine uses max speed, which allows me to outspeed most forms of Gyarados after a dragon dance as long as they haven't put a decent amount of EVs in speed. Even still, a +1 Earthquake doesn't OHKO me, so I confidently decide to use Thunderbolt.

Sparko switched in Metagross (lvl 100 Metagross).
Jirachi used Thunderbolt.
Metagross lost 24% of its health.

- 100%
- 76%

Okay, he decides to play it safe and switch back to his Metagross. Now he probably expects me to be scarved and predicts a switch.

Jirachi used Fire Punch.
It's super effective!
Metagross lost 21% of its health.
Metagross was burned!
The Occa Berry weakened Fire Punch's power!
Metagross used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Jirachi lost 38% of its health.
Metagross was hurt by its burn!
Metagross lost 12% of its health.

- 62%
- 43% (burned)

Unfortunately for him, I'm not scarved, so I throw a Fire Punch at him. Luckily for me, he even gets burned in the process! This burn seriously lowers the damage his Earthquake does to me. I figure I should just Fire Punch again and easily knock him out. I'm thinking he might try to switch, but I'm willing to Fire Punch anyway.

Sparko switched in Heatran (lvl 100 Heatran ♂).
Jirachi used Fire Punch.
Heatran's Flash Fire raised its fire power!

- 62%
- 100% (flash fire boost)

Well, shit. I should've seen this coming and just tried to use Iron Head or something. Well, now, I have a Jirachi that can't even touch it's opponent, and a powerful, likely scarved, opponent with a boosted STAB. The most obvious choice for him to take here would to throw a massively powerful Fire Blast in Jirachi's face for the ridiculous KO. However, I don't think the most obvious route sometimes. I expect this guy to be pretty smart, and some smart players usually use Earth Power when they first bring out Heatran. Why? Well, to scout for other Heatran, of course. Using this method of thinking, I switch to my ground immunity and pray for the best.

xephyr switched in Flygon (lvl 100 Flygon ♂).
Flygon makes ground moves miss with Levitate!
Heatran used Earth Power.
Heatran's attack missed!

- 100%
- 100% (flash fire boost)

Excellent. My prediction skills were right, and Sparko decided to try and use Earth Power here. I'm expecting the Heatran to be scarved, so it will most likely switch now. I also know that the opponent has a Gyarados, so I don't really want to use Earthquake right now. I decide to U-turn and see what he does.

Sparko switched in Metagross (lvl 100 Metagross).
Flygon used U-turn.
Metagross lost 18% of its health.
xephyr switched in Swampert (lvl 100 Swampert ♂).
Metagross was hurt by its burn!
Metagross lost 12% of its health.

- 100%

- 13% (burned)

Remember this Metagross? When we left off, he was sitting miserably at 43% and burned, making his physical attacking powers pretty weak. At this point, I expect he's just going to explode and get it over with and hope to take Swampert down with him. My Swampert is very physically defensive, and the burn cuts Metagross's attack significantly, so I know I can survive with plenty of health to spare. I decide to lay down the rocks now. I know my opponent has a Gyarados with him, to having the rocks down right now will be very helpful.

Metagross used Explosion.
Swampert lost 70% of its health.
Sparko's Metagross fainted.
Swampert used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
Swampert's leftovers restored its health a little!
Swampert restored 6% of its health.

- 36%

- KO

Xephyr - 6
Sparko - 5

Ouch. Explosion does more to me than I thought it would. Not too big of a deal, though, because now I have Stealth Rocks on the field and I have the lead in this match. I'm not sure what he's going to send out now, but I'm sure I can handle whatever it is.

Sparko switched in Gyarados (lvl 100 Gyarados ♂).
Gyarados's intimidate cut Swampert's attack!
Pointed stones dug into Gyarados.
Gyarados lost 25% of its health.

- 36%

- 75%

Okay, it's the return of our friend Gyarados. Good thing I laid the rocks down, at least. Now, I have a couple of options here. I could switch to Jirachi, but I know if the Gyarados is running speed, he will kill my Jirachi after a Dance, so I would just waste a turn and a Pokemon. I know Swampert can do exceptable damage with his Ice Beam, so I decide to just go with that so I can wear this guy down enough that my priority user can finish him.

Gyarados used Dragon Dance.
Gyarados's attack was raised.
Gyarados's speed was raised.
Swampert used Ice Beam.
Gyarados lost 20% of its health.
Gyarados's leftovers restored its health a little!
Gyarados restored 6% of its health.

- 42%

- 61% (+1 atk, +1 spd)

Ice Beam didn't do quite as much as I expected, and now he has a Dragon Dance under his belt. I also now find out that his Gyarados is holding leftovers. I don't know whether to be glad or scared, but either way I know Swampert is going to die. I could protect, but he might Dragon Dance again, and THAT would be bad, so I want to keep on the offensive and try another Ice Beam.

Gyarados used Waterfall.
Swampert lost 43% of its health.
xephyr's Swampert fainted.

- KO

- 67% (+1 atk, +1 spd)

Xephyr - 5
Sparko - 5

Uh oh. I might be in trouble now. I have to pray that this Gyarados is bulky and that Jirachi can outspeed and KO with Thunderbolt. If not, I might lose a few more Pokemon.

xephyr switched in Jirachi (lvl 100 Jirachi).
Gyarados used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Jirachi lost 62% of its health.
xephyr's Jirachi fainted.

- KO
- 73% (+1 atk, +1 spd)

Xephyr - 4
Sparko - 5

Great. Now my Jirachi is dead, his Gyarados keeps on getting lefties recovery, and he has boosted attack and speed. I decide I'm going to have to hope he's not running a bulky set and throw out my Flygon to get a quick KO.

xephyr switched in Flygon (lvl 100 Flygon ♂).
Flygon used Outrage.
Flygon went on a rampage!
Gyarados lost 73% of its health.
Sparko's Gyarados fainted.

- 100%

- KO

Xephyr - 4
Sparko - 4

Great, his Gyarados died. However, there are some pros and cons to my current situation. A pro would be that now the match is back to being tied up, and all four of my remaining Pokemon are at full health, three of which haven't even come out yet. A con, however, is that I know he has a strong steel type, and now I'm stuck in Outrage. I'm pretty sure this is the end of my Flygon.

Sparko switched in Heatran (lvl 100 Heatran ♂).
Pointed stones dug into Heatran.
Heatran lost 12% of its health.
Flygon used Outrage.
It's not very effective...
Heatran lost 30% of its health.
Heatran used Explosion.
A critical hit!
Flygon lost 100% of its health.
xephyr's Flygon fainted.
Sparko's Heatran fainted.

- KO
- KO

Xephyr - 3
Sparko - 3

This was the weirdest part of the whole match. Most Heatran run Dragon Pulse or HP Ice, so why didn't he use that? Regardless, my Flygon is gone, but so is his Heatran. This is good, but I wasn't too worried about that Heatran anyway, as the rest of my time could handle him very easily. The battle is now tied at 3-3. Neither of us have any idea what the remaining three Pokemon are on the opposition's team. I decide to take the safe route and send out the most overused Pokemon in the game today.

Sparko switched in Salamence (lvl 100 Salamence ♂).
xephyr switched in Scizor (lvl 100 Scizor ♂).
Salamence's intimidate cut Scizor's attack!
Pointed stones dug into Salamence.
Salamence lost 25% of its health.

- 100%
- 75%

This leaves me with a tough decision. After intimidate, Scizor's attack goes back down to about 400, which isn't enough to KO Salamence here, I'm sure of that. I could do a lot of things here, and I'm really not sure what to do. I could Bullet Punch for the 2ko, but what if he uses Fire Blast? On that same note, I could U-turn away, but what if he uses Dragon Dance? I don't want to have to go through another Dragon Dancing fiasco, so I go with Plan A and click Bullet Punch.

Scizor used Bullet Punch.
Salamence lost 44% of its health.
Salamence used Fire Blast.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Scizor lost 100% of its health.
xephyr's Scizor fainted.
Salamence lost 10% of its health.

- KO
- 21%

Xephyr - 2
Sparko - 3

Great. On the bright side, he didn't get a dragon dance...but he even got a critical hit for the KO. Isn't that a bit overkill? Regardless, I discover that the Salamence is holding a Life Orb. I expect it to be a wall breaking MixMence. Either way, all I have to do is knock off 11% and survive an attack and that thing is done for. I send out my favorite Pokemon on my team and hope I can muster 11%.

xephyr switched in Suicune (lvl 100 Suicune).
Suicune is exerting its pressure!
Salamence used Outrage.
Salamence went on a rampage!
Suicune lost 42% of its health.
Salamence lost 10% of its health.
Suicune used Surf.
It's not very effective...
Salamence lost 11% of its health.
Sparko's Salamence fainted.
Suicune's leftovers restored its health a little!
Suicune restored 6% of its health.

- 64%
- KO

Xephyr - 2
Sparko - 2

Okay, a pretty good turn. Suicune comes out with plenty of health to spare and his Salamence is done for. There are only two Pokemon left on both sides. Worst case scenario would be if he had a SpecsJolteon and an Infernape left. Let's hope that doesn't happen. Let's see what he goes with...

Sparko switched in Scizor (lvl 100 Scizor ♂).
Pointed stones dug into Scizor.
Scizor lost 12% of its health.

- 64%

- 88%

Okay then. I'm fairly sure my Suicune can handle any version of Scizor. I'm not scared of any of it's moves so I decide to just go ahead and begin boosting my stats.

Suicune used Calm Mind.
Suicune's special attack was raised.
Suicune's special defence was raised.
Scizor used U-turn.
Suicune lost 33% of its health.
Sparko switched in Infernape (lvl 100 Infernape ♂).
Pointed stones dug into Infernape.
Infernape lost 12% of its health.

- 37% (+1 sp. atk, +1 sp. def)
- 88%

Oh...no. This is definitely the worst thing that could happen. Infernape is easily going to outrun me and KO with Close Combat. I doubt he'll use Grass Knot if he has it as I have a Calm Mind and Suicune isn't heavy enough to deal that much damage. My next Pokemon will easily be defeated by Infernape (Breloom), so I begin to accept defeat. If, somehow, Close Combat doesn't kill me, I'm going to attempt a rest.

Infernape used Close Combat.

Suicune lost 29% of its health.
Infernape's defence was lowered.
Infernape's special defence was lowered.
Infernape lost 10% of its health.
Suicune used Rest.
Suicune fell asleep!
Suicune restored 92% of its health.

- 100% (asleep) (+1 sp. atk, +1 sp. def)
- 78%

What? Wow, I really didn't expect that. Is my Suicune really that good of a physical attack taker? Regardless, I'm back in this game! I really, really hope that Sleep Talk doesn't pick rest these next to turns.

Infernape used Grass Knot.
It's super effective!
Suicune lost 42% of its health.
Suicune is fast asleep!
Suicune used Sleep Talk.
Suicune used Calm Mind.

- 64% (asleep) (+2 sp. atk, +2 sp. def)

- 68%

Yes! Not only did Grass Knot only do enough for a 3ko, but Sleep Talk picked Calm Mind! Thinks are starting to look a lot better for me. I have no choice but to use Sleep Talk again, of course.

It's super effective!
Suicune lost 31% of its health.
Suicune is fast asleep!
Suicune used Sleep Talk.
Suicune used Rest.
But it failed!

- 39% (asleep) (+2 sp. atk, +2 sp. def)

- 58%

This was a scary turn for me. Luckily, Grass Knot only did 31%. Had it done just a few percent more, I would've lost right then and there. Instead, I can survive Grass Knot easily and have already discovered that Close Combat won't kill me, so I'm going to live another turn. I could use Surf to finish this thing off, but that would leave me with very little HP, probably enough for Scizor to kill me, and Scizor would likely beat me frail Breloom. I'm going to have to Rest again.

It's super effective!
Suicune lost 28% of its health.
Suicune woke up!
Suicune used Rest.
Suicune fell asleep!
Suicune restored 89% of its health.

- 100% (asleep) (+2 sp. atk, +2 sp. def)

- 48%

Awesome, things just keep looking better for me. His Infernape is slowly dying and I'm back at full health with a nasty plot and amnesia under my belt. I hope for Sleep Talk to be nice to me again.

It's super effective!
Suicune lost 31% of its health.
Suicune is fast asleep!
Suicune used Sleep Talk.
Suicune used Calm Mind.

- 75% (asleep) (+3 sp. atk, +3 sp. def)

- 38%

Ooooh yes. With that, Grass Knot won't even hit a 4ko on me (estimate). I don't really need more Calm Minds, I want Sleep Talk to hit Surf this time!

It's super effective!
Suicune lost 23% of its health.
Suicune is fast asleep!
Suicune used Sleep Talk.
Suicune used Surf.
It's super effective!
Infernape lost 28% of its health.
Sparko's Infernape fainted.

- 58% (asleep) (+3 sp. atk, +3 sp. def)

- KO

Xephyr - 2
Sparko - 1

Well, I would say that's about it for this match. He's going to send out his Scizor and I'll use Surf and kill it easily. Since I've been asleep two turns, I'll wake up next turn for the kill and the game.

Sparko switched in Scizor (lvl 100 Scizor ♂).
Pointed stones dug into Scizor.
Scizor lost 12% of its health.

Suicune woke up!
Suicune used Surf.
Scizor lost 75% of its health.
Sparko's Scizor fainted.
xephyr wins!

- 58% (asleep) (+3 sp. atk, +3 sp. def)

- KO

What? Xephyr, you were starting to make it sound like something amazing would happen that would prolong the battle! Well, no, this is what happened. I almost wish his Scizor outsped me, used Superpower, got a crit, and killed me so I could bring out my Breloom to get the win, because it would've been a bit more epic. Unfortunately, Breloom didn't see any action in this warstory.

You may ask, then, why did you post this warstory? It seems like you got a pretty easy win, Xephyr, you won 2-0 and your last Pokemon was still sitting with full health!

No, think back a couple turns into Suicune's rampage, when I was expected Close Combat to KO Suicune. Had his Infernape killed me, he would've had no problems taking out my Breloom. Even Scizor could've Bullet Punched me for the victory. That is why I've posted this as a warstory.

Now, Sparko's Team:

Sparko:
--Team Sparko

Props:
--My Suicune, for being an absolute monster.
--Sparko's Gyarados, for taking three of my favorite Pokemon out.
--My Swampert, for being all around awesome.
--Sleep Talk, for being nice to me.
--Salamence, for being a great all around killer.
--My Flygon, for being an excellent go-to guy.

Slops:
--Me, for keeping Swampert in against Gyarados and letting him get a Dragon Dance.
--Me, for not predicting Heatran switching in to Jirachi's Fire Punch.
--Sparko, for exploding on my Flygon.

Well this sucks. For some reason those font tags are stuck there. Maybe it's because I typed most of this in Microsoft Word.

Then when I got to edit and fix it, for some reason I can't edit it. I don't know why. Could a mod fix it please? It'd be really great if you did, because as of now those font tags look really, really ugly. Not only that, but the first three comments aren't in bold. =/

Check your post because many of the formating codes came out improperly. Random spaces on the war-story mad the reading of it pretty strange. As for the actually battle I liked the overall battle although the comments are lacking in some places. It seems like you understand what you wanted to say you just did not say it.

Edit: MY computer lagged and came in after what you said about the font sorry.

Battle wasn't that great, typical sweep/counter-sweep with minimal prediction and planning. Your comments are what we want to see, to a point. You take us over what you are going to do, but you also spend too much time recapping the previous turn. You don't really take us into your state of mind, mostly the state of battle. Which is not a good thing, because we can read of the log for that.

Decent.

(also lol at the first 4 post not even commenting on the story, which has no font errors itself.)

Thanks for the comments, noob3. I'd never written one of these before; I didn't really know what all to write about.

man the begining is no fun...

ALL COMPLAINTS OF FONT TAGS ASIDE:

However the match was entertaining, and the comments did their job in keeping me engaged in the match. A solid warstory, Ive read better, but their are alot worse on here as well.

Meh, the font tags weren't annoying, as they weren't in the actual battle.

The warstory was just okay. Once you started RestTalking, I was sure you'd win, else you wouldn't make it a warstory.

Meh, the font tags weren't annoying, as they weren't in the actual battle.

The warstory was just okay. Once you started RestTalking, I was sure you'd win, else you wouldn't make it a warstory.
Thats not really true. Plenty of people post warstories that have them losing.

Decent warstory, comments were lacking.
Yeah, okay battle, lackluster comments imo. Also it was really weird that you thought any non-scarf Jira could outspeed Gyara after a DD. You actually ended up sacrificing Jira needlessly instead of just going to Flygon immediately.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
this was an average warstory
the battle was average, as were the comments
for a first warstory, pretty nice job

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)