1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

RMT 1 - The Suspect Test Team (Pt. 1)

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by /B/utterfree, Feb 18, 2012.

1. /B/utterfree

/B/utterfree

A lot of my favorite Gen IV Pokes dropped from their majesty in OU (their safety net of BL ensured they were playable in OU) all the way down to practical RU. However, some Pokemon, like Yanmega, Porygon-Z and Cresselia, have made their way back to UU through BL2. The others, while perfectly usable in UU and OU, are not out of their discomfort zone of RU yet. Then there's the fact a lot of Isshu/Unova Pokemon I like also dropped to RU from their solid placement in UU, probably due to other Pokemon being more popular. Some of them are out of place in RU, and rather powerful for the tier itself.

That's where this team comes in. One of the remaining Gen IV BL-ers still in RU, Gallade, is a Pokemon I admire and respect. The main Pokemon Online server is currently doing suspect tests of Honchkrow and Moltres to see if they're broken in LU (their version of our RU). I plan on using Moltres for this current RU team, as it is one of the few glorious Special attackers left in the tier (the others being Omastar and Accelgor, both worthy of different teams).

I like RU, so I will make several teams for the tier. This is my first RU adventure, so any advice will be accepted and tested. There will also be a few NU Pokemon who are simply good enough for me to use in RU, who I also like and playtested specifically for RU.

The overall goal is to make this a team that can handle well to Suspect Tests. Quite honestly, I will wait until the next Suspect Test to unleash this team. In the meantime I will practice with these Pokes and see if a Suspect Test for Moltres happens.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Sentry @ Leftovers
    Ability: (Damn it feels good to be a) Prankster
    Nature: Bold
    EV spread: 252 HP, 252 SDef, 4 Def
    1. Substitute
    2. Leech Seed
    3. Taunt
    4. Stun Spore/U-turn

The best user of the ability Prankster for RU is this lovely cotton ball. He is "the best disruptor in the game", or so the Ubers analysis for Whimsicott claims. What's a Pokemon like him doing in a place like this? *starts singing "If We Ever Meet Again" by Timbaland feat. Katy Perry*

No, no Stealth Rock lead for me. Whimsicott proves to be a better lead for the tier because it disrupts Stealth Rock-users from doing much of anything thanks to Taunt. Then, during the switch to a different Poke, the hilarity ensues as SubSeed proceeds to create a giant stall-fest. Stun Spore is also good, although the chance of missing also makes U-turn more appealing. U-turn is mostly used for scouting, and it asks me to change my nature to Impish. If an opponent is just spamming a powerful move, or is named Honchkrow, switching to something else will oft take place.

My EV spread allows Whimsicott to also tank special hits and try to be a mixed wall. It works for now in terms of practical odds.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Dragoon @ Leftovers
    Ability: Rock Head
    Nature: Adamant
    EV spread: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Def
    1. Substitute
    2. Focus Punch
    3. Head Smash
    4. Ice Punch

In The Godfather, Vito escapes from Italy, but has to stay in Ellis Island for a while. The analogy will make more sense for the RU metagame: Honchkrow wants to leave RU, but has to stay in it for a little while longer. Why? This Pokemon is one of the "Honchkrow counters" people keep referencing on Pokemon Online's suspect thread of it, and also one of the Pokes that counters other Pokemon besides Honchkrow, at least as far as these suspect threads say (not only Honchkrow, but also Durant apparently). And a pretty good counter it is, as far as I can tell.

Head Smash is a definite STAB move with Rock Head. The SubPunch combo is really good on a tanky Pokemon such as him, while it also ensures that other Steel-types can't get a free switch-in on him without paying dearly. Replaced Dragon Claw with Ice Punch because it hit Claydol and Gligar harder.

My EV spread caters more to the SubPunch of it all, but it works.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    WarpPrism @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Levitate
    Nature: Timid
    EV spread: 252 SAtk, 4 SDef, 252 Speed
    1. Trick
    2. Blizzard
    3. Volt Switch
    4. Hidden Power Ground

My favorite Rotom forme, it comes with the best dual-STAB offensive combo as far as the game is concerned. However, said dual-STAB also makes this not as defensive as it could be, despite wonderful base Defense and Special Defense stats. Its NU tiering should not have this Poke be overlooked, oh no. In fact, I'm quite surprised this isn't in RU already. Considering that BoltBeam is excellent coverage on its own, why need Hidden Power? Why, for those pesky Fire and Rock types, of course! There are so many of them in RU that HP Ground is virtually required in order for the offensive coverage to be a bit more stable for RU. Unless this Poke wants to be walled by Magneton...

At any rate, Tricking a Choice item proves for more delivery in battles. Or I can use a Specs'd Volt Switch to net a free kill, then wait to Trick a lategame sweeper, such as Sharpedo, when the time arises.

The EV spread should be fairly obvious, as being speedy and hitting hard are required for my plans to work.

[​IMG][​IMG]