RMT Battlespot Singles 3v3: First team in competitive battling. ever

Hey guys, this is my first team ever for competitive battling, considering the 3v3 nature of Gen 6's Battle Spot Singles, i found it a bit tricky to put together a team that could mix well together, so here they are.

upload_2013-11-19_22-49-36.png

Togekiss Red Card (optional)
Timid, Serene Grace (optional)
EVs: 252 SpAtk 252 Def 4
-Thunder Wave
-Nasty Plot
-Roost
-Air Slash

This Togekiss set is perhaps the most common Togekiss set, and thats because it works. Thanks to Serene Grace, Air Slash's flinch rate goes up to a whopping 60%, making it an imperative to attack first to benefit from it. However, unlike the other Pokemon who shares access to the same ability and Air Slash (Shaymin-S), Togekiss suffers from a lackluster speed. To counter that, Thunder Wave allows Togekiss to attack first almost all the time, not counting priority moves.With Red Card, he can Thunder Wave, before phasing the opponent for a chance to Thunder Wave two of the enemy's pokemon easily. All in all, once Togekiss gets a couple of Nasty Plots under his belt, he becomes a force to be reckoned with, not giving the opponent a chance to even strike back.

upload_2013-11-19_22-49-53.png

Metagross Leftovers (optional)
Adamant, Clear Body (optional)
EVs: 252 Atk 252 Hlth 4 Def
-Meteor Mash
-Zen Headbutt
-Hammer Arm
-Earthquake

Metagross is my premiere defensive physical attacker. With his substantial 135 Defense and Health EVs, Metagross can tank most ground attacks with room to spare, ensuring that he is able to dish back damage. Meteor Mash and Zen Headbutt are his primary STABs, with Meteor Mash's chance of increasing Attack being a sweet deal. For coverage, Hammer Arm can take care of pesky Rock, Dark and Normal types, especially Mega Kangaskhan (which has been quite annoying lately). Earthquake's place in the moveset is obvious: just to counter electric pokemon.

upload_2013-11-19_22-50-13.png
upload_2013-11-19_22-50-21.png

Gyarados @Gyaradosite (optional)
Adamant, Moxie/Mold Breaker (optional)
EVs: 252 Atk 86 Def 172 SpDef
-Waterfall
-Dragon Dance
-Payback
-Earthquake

Dragon Dance Gyarados packs quite a punch, and with the introduction of his Mega Evo, he just hurts more. Although many people prefer regular Life Orb Gyarados as a damage dealing sea serpent due to his narrower set of weaknesses. However, this contrasting weaknesses allow you to play mind games, such as instances where an opponent sends out a Fighting type move in anticipation of Mega Gyarados's weakness. To this end, i prefer Moxie over Intimidate as it allows me flexibilty. Waterfall takes place over Aqua Tail due to its chance of flinching, which is great coupled with the Speed and Attack boosts from Dragon Dance. Payback is his Dark STAB, and is a great counter to fast attackers and priority moves, including Mega Mawile and Mega Kangaskhan's Sucker Punch haha. Earthquake is a great way to abuse Mold Breaker, hitting Ground-weak levitaters such as Gengar, Rotom and Bronzong hard.

upload_2013-11-19_22-51-17.png
upload_2013-11-19_22-51-23.png

Charizard Charizardite Y (optional)
Modest, Blaze/Drought (optional)
EVs: 252 SpAtk 252 Spd 4 Def
-Fire Spin
-Flamethrower
-Focus Blast
-Solar Beam

Charizard, with his access to an amazing Mega Evolution and a wide variety of moves, makes him my prime special sweeper, hitting the hardest right of the bat without any need to set up. With the speed boosts from his Mega Evo and Speed EVs, Mega Charizard Y will hit fast and hit hard. Flamethrower is the STAB move of choice, providing greater accuracy than Fire Blast and without the recharge needed for Blast Burn. Fire Spin is a secondary STAB that makes sure the enemy pokemon stays in till he's dead. To counter Charizard abysmal weakness to Rock Types, Focus Blast and Solar Beam come into play, with the former having a mighty 120 base power that can fell typical physical tankers (Avalugg, Tyranitar and Aggron come to mind) and the latter requiring no charge time with Drought in play. Both also provide decent coverage.

upload_2013-11-19_22-51-56.png

Heliolisk Choice Specs (optional)
Modest, Solar Power (optional)
EVs: 252 SpAtk 252 Spd 4 Def
-Surf
-Grass Knot
-Thunderbolt
-Dark Pulse

Heliolisk, with Solar Power, rides on the coat tails of Mega Charizard Y's Drought ability to boost his Special Attack. When coupled with Choice Specs, Heliolisk can put a dent into a wide range of pokemon with his extremely diverse movepool. Thunderbolt is his best STAB that doesnt sacrifice accuracy. Surf, Grass Knot and Dark Pulse allows Heliolisk coverage over a grand total of 7 types. Generally, Heliolisk is my choice of pokemon for a situation where i see nothing in particular to exploit in my enemy's team and just wish to throw out something that synergises well with my Charizard.

upload_2013-11-19_22-52-15.png
upload_2013-11-19_22-52-22.png

Medicham @Medichamite (optional)
Jolly, Pure Power/Pure Power (optional)
EVs: 252 Atk 252 Spd 4 Def
-High Jump Kick
-Psycho Cut
-Poison Jab
-Ice Punch

In Gen 5, Medicham, even with Pure Power, was lackluster due to being overshadowed by the likes of Conkeldurr and Scizor. However, with his Mega Evo, his poor Attack stat of 60 is boosted to 100, abusing Pure Power to an amazing extent. His Speed stat, however, leaves much to be desired. To tackle this, his Jolly nature and Speed EVs lets Medicham hit first most of the time, with the exception mostly being priority moves and Speed Boost Blaziken. High Jump Kick and Psycho Cut are his STABs. I chose Psycho Cut over Zen Headbutt due to its higher accuracy (yea I'm a sucker for that) and high crit chance. Poison Jab provides a way to get past Fairy Walls such as Florges and Dedenne. Ice Punch lets me counter Dragon types, which at the time i realised i lacked a move that provides coverage for.

I know this team has 3 Mega Evos, so i usually choose one when finding a 3 pokemon team out of the 6. I welcome any changes that you, who are more experienced Smogon members would suggest :)

Attachments

Last edited:
If you use T-Wave, you can't use Assault Vest.

"This offensive vest raises Sp. Def but prevents the use of status moves."

About the other pokemons, I liked them. =)

Not an expert here, but maybe you can take advantage of Charizard Y's Drought ability more? Add a Bulky Chlorophyll Venusaur maybe, or another grass type that can spam Growth? I like what you did with Heliolisk taking advantage of Drought; you may also opt to use a Choice Scarf instead of Choice Specs in order to ensure that you (almost) always go first (given his 109 Base Speed) and outspeed other quick Special Attackers such as Alakazam or Starmie who can take advantage of Heliolisk's low HP and Defenses. Take note though that priority moves will outspeed and may OHKO Heliolisk without any bulk.

Also, Charizard, Gyarados and Togekiss are weak to Stealth Rock (Gyarados and Togekiss will lose 1/4th of their health upon switching, and Charizard's gonna lose half of his). Your team needs a spinner or a Pokemon that can use Defog.

Finally, since you can only have 1 Mega-Evo per battle, I suggest you come up with different non-Mega Evo sets for your Pokemon, though I suggest assigning a Mega-Evo Pokemon right away (Charizard-Y perhaps, if you're gonna build a Sun team), and assign other items and slightly different builds for your other Pokemon. Maybe a Life Orb or a Choice Item perhaps?

That is all, good luck in building your team!

Last edited:
Not an expert here, but maybe you can take advantage of Charizard Y's Drought ability more? Add a Bulky Chlorophyll Venusaur maybe, or another grass type that can spam Growth? I like what you did with Heliolisk taking advantage of Drought; you may also opt to use a Choice Scarf instead of Choice Specs in order to ensure that you (almost) always go first (given his 109 Base Speed) and outspeed other quick Special Attackers such as Alakazam or Starmie who can take advantage of Heliolisk's low HP and Defenses. Take note though that priority moves will outspeed and may OHKO Heliolisk without any bulk.

Also, Charizard, Gyarados and Togekiss are weak to Stealth Rock (Gyarados and Togekiss will lose 1/4th of their health upon switching, and Charizard's gonna lose half of his). Your team needs a spinner or a Pokemon that can use Defog.

Finally, since you can only have 1 Mega-Evo per battle, I suggest you come up with different non-Mega Evo sets for your Pokemon, though I suggest assigning a Mega-Evo Pokemon right away (Charizard-Y perhaps, if you're gonna build a Sun team), and assign other items and slightly different builds for your other Pokemon. Maybe a Life Orb or a Choice Item perhaps?

That is all, good luck in building your team!
Hey thanks for the feedback. Although I don't particularly feel like setting up a sun team, I do agree with your advice about Focus Sash on Heliolisk, especially since it already gets a Sp Atk boost from Solar Power.

With regards to countering of entry hazards, I intend to replace Gyarados with Magic Bounce Espeon. It can also function as a defensive baton passer with Calm Mind, Swagger and Psych Up. Gyarados hasn't really been cutting it for me lately. So I may as well replace him with a reliable support /:

Changelog:
-Changed Togekiss's item to Red Card
-Swapped Metagross's pursuit for Earthquake
-Swapped Gyarados's Dragon Tail for Payback

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)