1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

RMT: Cloaking Drizzle

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Mismagius Master, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Mismagius Master

Mismagius Master

The backstory: So, this is the beginning of the first team I've decided to engineer for the 5th Gen. It's a basic rain team, but with a few surprises added. Here's the team.

[​IMG]

Kecleon @ Leftovers
    Ability: Color Change
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Sp.Def/ 6 Atk

~Stealth Rock
    ~Knock Off
    ~Magic Coat
    ~ThunderPunch

This is my lead, more often than not. Stealth Rocks for my own hazards. Knock Off for item destruction when people switch in and out. Magic Coat is the big draw - catches people off guard most of the time. ThunderPunch is for coverage. Color Change helps big time when dealing with Choice Sweepers. He can basically handle any non-ground wall 1 on 1 - I might consider adding in Recover for Longevity.

I've considered replacing it with a Celebi with Magic Coat, Rocks, and Heal Bell because I desperately need a cleric.

[​IMG]

Politoed @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
    Bold Nature
    - Scald
    - Toxic
    - Perish Song
    - Protect

Standard Bulky Politoed build. Scald for burn crippling, Toxic for special attackers. Perish Song is great for crippling BP teams and other walls. Protect for lefties healing and stalling. Most of what I hope to accomplish from Politoed, is burning the opponent. I might replace Toxic with another offense move like Ice Beam or HP Grass. Toxic hasn't exactly been so helpful.

[​IMG]

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spd
    Bold Nature
    - Thunder
    - Water Pulse
    - Wish
    - Calm Mind

Wish/CM 'Rachi set. Thunder and WP for Parafusion hax. Also, Wish allows myself to outlast Blissey and Chansey. This has worked out pretty well for me so far. Can't outstall Ferro 1 on 1, but otherwise this has been a wonderful part of my team. Considering adding in some other coverage moves to handle other threats, or maybe Iron Head for paraflinch hax.

[​IMG]

Dragonite @ Leftovers
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Waterfall

DD Dragonite - Earthquake to hit those pesky fire types on Sun teams and Steel types. Waterfall for good coverage in the rain and for KO'ing Heatran with Balloon. Outrage for STAB. Lefties for perpetuating Multiscale. One of my biggest Sweepers - 1 or 2 DD's, and this pretty much wrecks the entire opponent's team.

[​IMG]

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Dry Skin
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Substitute
    - Bulk Up
    - Focus Punch
    - Ice Punch

This is a bit different than the standard Toxicroak set. While against psychic types this doesn't gain much advantage, I prefer Ice Punch to surprise Dragons and Gliscors on the switch. Sub/Bulk Up/Punch set works wonders since Drain Punch and Ice Punch are illegal. Toxicroak's biggest issue is defense, but hopefully Scalds from Politoed lessen that issue.

[​IMG]

Starmie @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Trick
    - Rapid Spin
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam

A slight variation of the normal Trick Starmie. I added Rapid Spin in place of Thunderbolt because I need spin support. Hydro Pump and Ice Beam for STAB and Dragons. Main problem with Starmie is switching it in to remove hazards. I might consider making it a Non-Trick Starmie and add Recover for Longevity.

My biggest issue: Volt-Turn teams often give me trouble - though I can handle Rotom W in rain and Scizor in rain as well. Also, since I don't have a cleric, my team gets plagued by Status. Also, Lucario has often swept my team with a few Swords Dance boost.

Suggestions?
  2. TheStarRapper

TheStarRapper

I used to run a scarf starmie, though i dropped many of the SAtk evs for Hp, because I think the longevity was necessary to be able to get off the spin before dying (made it so I didn't have to sacrifice someone to get him in safely) Then again, I did use it on a HO ubers team. Regardless, i think any reason that you would want S Atk evs would be to kill Spin blockers and dragonite/salamence/gliscor/landorus in one hit. Lets run dem calcs and see what would be a good minimum

For a 60 Satk Starmie
    Rain boosted hydro pump vs Standard 4/0 gengar- 99.6-117.2% chance to ohko
    Ice beam vs 252/0 gliscor-103-123% chance to ohko (bit of a cushion if they run more SpD)
    same ice beam vs 0/0 landorus is a 121-142% ohko
    same ice beam vs 0/0 mence is 117-138% ohko
    same ice beam vs bulky 252/0 nite with multiscale is a clean 2hko (first hit is guaranteed above 35%, even with lefties you should be okay)
    Keep in mind that with stealth rock you get the ohko on Nite, as well as a more comfortable margin on the others.

So, in summary, to achieve a good balance between survivability and killing what you need to kill, run 60 SAtk evs and pump the rest into hp. If anyone else wants to run those calcs, i think they are solid, but im unsure.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)