RMT: Defensive RMT

Due to my style, I like to play defensive until the opportunity arrives where I can set up and run the table. I have a revenge killer as a back up plan, and my walls are no weaklings like Blissey, they can actually give a hit.

Porygon2 @ Leftovers
Ability: Trace
Nature: Modest (+Sp Atk, -Atk)
EV: 240 HP / 164 Def / 12 Sp Atk / 92 Sp Def
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Magic Coat
-Recover

In my mind the best lead available. This thing counters just about everything. With this spread, he can survive a SpecsMence Draco Meteor and OHKO back with Ice Beam. Gyarados leads are jokes, as Thunderbolt easily handles them while Trace lowers their attack with Intimidate. Magic Coat is the key of this set. It prevents ScarfGar and Bronzong from doing much, making them fall asleep if they decide to Hypnosis me. Really the only leads capable of stopping him are Infernape and Tyranitar.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Calm (+Sp Def, -Atk)
EV: 252 HP / 220 Sp Def / 36 Spd
-Roost
-Thunderbolt
-Sleep Talk
-Hidden Power [Ground]

Great sleep absorber and switch into SpecsLuke/Mix Infernape. With HP Ground I can counter them, 2HKOing easily. Roost allows me to stay alive longer and can heal me even when asleep because of Sleep Talk.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Relaxed (+Def, -Spd)
EV: 252 HP / 128 Atk / 128 Def
-Explosion
-Gyro Ball
-Earthquake
-Hypnosis

Spectacular wall. Switches into Garchomp, Weavile and Tyranitar easily. Hypnosis allows my sweepers to go ahead and set up. Explosion is for anything getting in the way, and obviously, once he has done his job. Bronzong has recently been helping a lot.

Gliscor @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -Sp Atk)
EV: 252 HP / 82 Def / 176 Spd
-Roost
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Aerial Ace

This is my Heracross counter and backup Tyranitar counter. This is for when Tyraniboah has Flamethrower/Thunderbolt over Ice Beam. It also beats those DD Tyranitars and CB Tars without Ice Beam. The speed EVs allow me to outspeed Max speed Jolly Heracross before it OHKOs with Facade. Aerial Ace will easily dispose of it, and this is my best switch into Breloom and Lucario.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Modest (+Sp Atk, -Atk)
EV: 20 HP / 252 Sp Atk / 236 Spd
-Flamethrower
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power [Ice]
-Overheat

Revenge kills annoying things like SD Garchomp, SD Lucario, Infernape, etc. Flamethrower was chosen over Fire Blast purely for the accuracy as I don't want the chance of missing against SD Lucario, who wrecks this team. Overheat is there if I need power, and provides the KO on things like Gengar.

Gyarados @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -Sp Atk)
EV: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spd
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang

I really love this Gyarados set. With the Wacan Berry, Starmie and Cresselia can just say forget about it unless they have Reflect/Thunder Wave. I usually scout first and nail them with Waterfall. If ScarfGar decides to switch in, I survive the Thunderbolt and OHKO back with a +1 Waterfall. Really my only set up sweeper.

So... is your only way of getting past Blissey to use Explosion with Bronzong or try and set up on it with Gyarados without Taunt? A Sleep Talker would be nice over Gyarados if you truly want a Defensive team, Spiritomb and Machamp are both great options. Seems like a pretty nice team, though for Defensive teams I would really like some sort of secondary damage besides Stealth Rock. You seem like you could PP Stall the hell out of almost anything, but since your style (as you said) is more offensive, you probably don't want to be sitting around and PP Stalling the entire game. If you can find some way to add Toxic Spikes or Spikes, Machamp would be a great fit in, causing all sorts of switches with Dynamic Punch.

Adding on to what was previously stated, neutral Thunderbolt actually does more damage than super effective HP Ground, therefore it's moot. Elementary math, my dear.

Thunderbolt: 95*1.5 = 142.5

Super effective HP Ground: 70*2 = 140

It'd be nice if you had more assurance against Swampert though by the means of HP Grass. The exclusion of HP Ice on Zapdos won't dramatically affect much at all. As your team can hold its own very well against the prevalent Garchomp and Salamence anyways.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't see how you could get through any of the special walls. The only poke that even has a chance of beating Blissey, Cresselia, and Snorlax is Gyarados, and using him against any of those is a huge risk. You don't even have a reliable way to wall any of them, since all three can spam status and two of them commonly carry stat-ups. There are a few things you can do to help with this. First, drop Pory2 for a CB Tyranitar, and give it a lot of HP. CB Tar is a huge threat to Bliss and Cress, and it does decently against Snorlax. Second, give Zapdos rest over roost. he already has sleep talk, and Zapdos is still the best sleep talker in the game imo, even if roost sets overshadow it! This will allow you to absorb status and pressure stall if necessary. Finally, drop flamethrower and overheat on heatran for fire blast and explosion. Fire Blast is statistically a better move than flamethrower, and explosion will be a huge help in taking down problem pokes that your team just can't seem to get around.

A few other notes: Why is Gliscor so fast? He really needs the extra defense granted by impish and more EV's in order to deal with Garchomp, Metagross, SD Hera, and a few others. The ONLY reason i could see to run that much speed is if you were playing a very offensive team and it was taunting, or if it was baton passing. Obviously it is doing neither, so give it impish and (near) max defense.

Give Heatran max speed. It doesn't need 3 HP, it needs to at least speed tie other Heatrans.

Also give zapdos HP Ice blah blah blah.

Good Luck; Hope this Helps! --TAY

I haven't tested Magic Coat enough although it seems redundant since you have a sleep talker + I'm not sure how many people actually fall for it. It's increasing in popularity and so will its usage I'm guessing.

It seems like if you incorporated more EVs into Special Defense on your Bronzong than Defense it'd be better off for coping with special threats like Salamence and Starmie.
Seeing as Gliscor can switch into most physicals moves and Heracrosses won't stay in anyways. Ice Fang not only offers a method of handling Chomp, but has type coverage too. If you were to drop Stealth Rock/Aerial Ace for Ice Fang it certainly would help. Expecially since a Breloom can run through almost half your team.
If you drop Stealth Rocks on Gliscor, hand it off to Bronzong and drop explosion.
Other than that this team strikes a strange resemblance to my team. I love my team. So I love your team :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)