RMT: Operation: Desert Storm

Well, my name is Starfawkingburst, but to save you the trouble please just call me SFB. I'm new to Smogon, but not new to pokemon and I would like you guys to Rate my team. I could use a little bit of advice before I make it my main team on shoddy.

The Squad:

Team Objective:

The Objective of this team is to set up sandstorm and stealth rock, while luring certain Pokemon with Hippowdon. Once a counter against Hippow is set up, I can bring in my appropriate counter and move on to deal some damage.

The secondary objective is to toxic stall or set up with scizor or Jirachi and begin my sweep to the opposing team. Basically, trap and kill fast.

Components of the Team:

Hippowdon
Nature: Impish
Ability: Sand Stream
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 hp, 168 def, 88 sp.def
Moves:

Ice fang
Earthquake
slack off
stealth rock

Role:

His main role on my team is to set up Stealth rock with an added sandstorm. He can wall Lead Machamp pretty well and deal some heavy damage to him too. if faced with a Taunt lead like Aerodactly or Azelf, I will more than likely Ice fang so I don't fall victim to their taunt and deal some early damage and then more than likely switch to an appropriate counter if Azelf was the one to taunt. (Probably Scizor or Blissey.) Once he has set up Stealth rock I will more than likely switch to an appropriate counter, depending on the situation.

Jirachi
Nature: Timid
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 hp, 176 speed, 80 sp.atk
Moves:

Substitute
Calm mind
Psychic
T-bolt

Role:
I <3 my subCM Rachi. It is the one thing that can save my ass in certain situations It's supposed to Sub, calm mind and then sweep. In sometimes can find a problem with T-tar or Heatran, but hopefully I will be behind a sub and T-bolt them in hopes of Paralysis. It does it's job well until a counter comes in. Another good thing about Rachi is that sometimes I can Catch Salamence trying to Outrage my Blissey and Jirachi can come in to take a hit or two and T-bolt or Psychic it. Though Jirachi is not the only answer I have to a DD outrage Salamence, it certain ls is one of my options.

Scizor
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Technician
Item: Life orb
EVs: 150hp, 252atk, 80speed, 48def
Moves:

Bullet Punch
Sword dance
Bug Bite
Superpower

Role:
This is your basic SD Scizor that can end up as a Revenge killer or a common sweeper. He's there to clean up the mess that a pokemon might have made and eliminate stragglers. I also use him to force switches and use bug bite as a safety measure against several pokemon. These pokemon include Rotom and Swampert who like to switch in and wall Scizor. If I already seen Skarmory on the team, I might just SD before it switches in and Superpower it for a good amount of damage. It's a very versatile pokemon on my team that can also lure Fire pokes and get countered by Starmie or Heatran.

Blissey
Nature: bold
Ability: Natural cure
EVs: 252hp, 252 def, 4 sp.def
Moves:

Protect
Wish
Toxic
Flamethrower

Role:
This big fat tub of lard is here annoy the hell out of an opponent. She can wish and then protect to heal herself, can take a hit or two, toxic an opponent and stall them to death and if I predict right I can Flamethrower the shit out of Rachi, Metagross, Breloom, and the lovely Scizor. Sometimes she can prove to be burdensome on my team when Hippowdon and Starmie are down, but she gets the job done most of the time.

Heatran
Nature: Modest
Ability: Flash Fire
Item: Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 sp.atk, 252 speed, 4 atk
Moves:

Fire Blast
Dragon Pulse
Explosion
Earth Power

Role:
He's, sadly, the fastest pokemon on my team and I don't bring him out till late game. This is because he can normally clean up the weakened pokemon with his almighty Fire Blast. The only other time that I switch him in is to absorb fire attacks that may be directed at my Scizor or to Earth Power an opposing Heatran that I figured out wasn't scarfed. He can reliably take out Dragons as well that were weekened by stealth rock with Dragon Pulse. Explosion is there as a last resort and that's about it.

Starmie
Nature: timid
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 136hp, 216 speed, 148 def, 8 sp.atk
Moves:

Surf
Ice beam
Recover
T-bolt

Role:
So I've changed the role of my Starm to more offensive, giving it the power to take out Gyarados. I might keep it's bulky EV spread or I will change it to more offensive spread. I am still unsure of this, but what I do know is that it helps me take out Nape with ease, scares off skarmory and heatran and can do a number on Gyarados. Considering Gyarados is the biggest weakness to this team, Starmie will be one of my biggest assets on the team.

More In Depth Analysis:

As you can see, this team is really dependent on switches and setting up. Hazards will ruin this team if they are not spun away. Another thing is that a bad prediction on either players part could end up as a lost, depending on who did the bad predicting.

This is a team that can hit pretty hard and stall for a while as well, but all the switches can start to become confusing.

Threats:

As already stated before, Hazards, but that is almost unavoidable.

Gyarados: He can set up on this team pretty easily and get a sweep. Especially since Starm doesn't have T-bolt. Jirachi has T-bolt, but after a DD, Jirachi won't catch up and will be KOed with Earthquake.

Trick Pokemon: They can cripple my team easily. It will stop me from setting up or stalling which is a big deal on this team. Unless I find a way around getting tricked choice scarf or something, I might as well say "GG".

Taunt Pokemon: Though I have not experienced a real issue with these kind of pokemon they can still cause problems with my team. If I get taunted, I'm just out of luck. As a lead they won't hurt me too badly, but if they're used in mid-game like Taunt Gliscor then I can't really do much, especially if Starmie is down.

Infernape: He poses a great threat if Starmie is dead. Heatran can cause problems against Infernape, but if Heatran is KOed...Not much I can do from there.

Conclusion of this team:

This team has a few threats, but I believe they can be handled nicely in a few ways. I don't know anymore threats to this team, so if you find any please post them up as well. I have tested this time many times on Smogon and on another server and it has fared well and my few losses have been to bad predictions on my part or because of one of the threats listed above. I personally believe it's a good team with a good flow, but I would like any suggestions so that this team may be perfected.

Thank you,
SFB

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey you have a pretty nice team here but there's a few things you could do to make it better. First you can change Heatran's nature to Naive or Timid to allow you to outspeed Adamant Gyarados after a DD. After that you can remove Rapid Spin from Starmie and give it Thunderbolt instead. You're team doesn't have that bad of entry hazard problems but you do have a Gyarados weak team.

Also you're team is weak to fighting so I would suggest switching Scizor to a Defensive Rotom-H which can take on fighting types and deal with Gyarados too.

Well, I wouldn't like to lose Scizor because then I would lose the bulk to take out Blissey. If I switch in defensive Rotom for it I'll get walled by special walls, more often than not.

Now, I am considering T-bolt instead of Rapid Spin on Starm to take care of Gyarados weaknesses. As for fighting types, I haven't had to much of a problem with those, but I see what you mean. I might just switch Starm for defensive Rotom to get rid of both weaknesses at once, but this would take some testing on my part to see if the team will actually flow well with that set up.

I'll look into some changes and see what's best in that department. Thanks Macle.

It seems to be your agili-gross weak.
After a agility it outspeeds everything on your team, and it can OHKO 3 poke you pokemon (Jirachi and Heatran with EQ, Starmie with thunderpunch) and 2HKO Blissey,
and 3HKO both Scizor and Hippo. so basically, if your opponent takes out Hippo and Scizor, and they have a agili-gross, they win.
To remedy this, I would take out either Blissey or Jirachi, and add Agility Zapdos.
Non-Ice Punch variants of agili gross will always be beaten.

Don't switch Blissey or Scizor into lead Azelf. They generally carry Fire Blast and Explosion. Maybe Scizor if it's in BP range, but Blissey will die.

Don't run 252 Spe EVs on Scizor, as he doesn't outspeed a lot anyway and you're using Bullet Punch a lot. Putting them into HP instead can give him a lot more bulk (check the spread on analysis).

Breloom and Scizor both carry Fighting moves commonly and outspeed you. Breloom with Superpower will hit you for a OHKO. Breloom with Focus Punch will set up a sub, expecting you to switch, realize you have Flamethrower, and switch out. Metagross often carries Explosion and quite honestly, Blissey does not want to take Meteor Mash. Predictions can work there, but it's pretty risky. Heatran also walls that set bad.

I don't know why you need a Rapid Spinner. Nothing on this team is weak to SR. Spikes and Toxic Spikes are much rarer, and you have 3 Steels that are not affected by it. If you're against the stall teams that typically use those, Blissey and Hippowdon won't be doing a whole lot.

You have no Ground-immunity.

The two hardest hitters on here are ScarfTran and CB Scizor. Sweeping with Choice users can be difficult. I'd consider using something that you can set up.

AgiliGross shouldn't be a massive problem... Scizor can deal neutral STAB damage to it with Bug Bite IF Hippo's down, but Hippo can hit it with STAB SE Earthquake. Yeah, if the counters are gone it's a problem, but that's true of anything.

Gyarados could be a problem. Scarfing that Starmie wouldn't be bad, because as I said, entry hazards don't really destroy this team or anything. Then it can revenge Jolly +1 Gyaras, AND Dragons. Defensive Rotom could work as well but you need a nice physical attacker if you do that. Then I'd swap Starmie out for something you can set up.

Don't switch Blissey or Scizor into lead Azelf. They generally carry Fire Blast and Explosion. Maybe Scizor if it's in BP range, but Blissey will die.

Don't run 252 Spe EVs on Scizor, as he doesn't outspeed a lot anyway and you're using Bullet Punch a lot. Putting them into HP instead can give him a lot more bulk (check the spread on analysis).

Breloom and Scizor both carry Fighting moves commonly and outspeed you. Breloom with Superpower will hit you for a OHKO. Breloom with Focus Punch will set up a sub, expecting you to switch, realize you have Flamethrower, and switch out. Metagross often carries Explosion and quite honestly, Blissey does not want to take Meteor Mash. Predictions can work there, but it's pretty risky. Heatran also walls that set bad.

I don't know why you need a Rapid Spinner. Nothing on this team is weak to SR. Spikes and Toxic Spikes are much rarer, and you have 3 Steels that are not affected by it. If you're against the stall teams that typically use those, Blissey and Hippowdon won't be doing a whole lot.

You have no Ground-immunity.

The two hardest hitters on here are ScarfTran and CB Scizor. Sweeping with Choice users can be difficult. I'd consider using something that you can set up.

AgiliGross shouldn't be a massive problem... Scizor can deal neutral STAB damage to it with Bug Bite IF Hippo's down, but Hippo can hit it with STAB SE Earthquake. Yeah, if the counters are gone it's a problem, but that's true of anything.

Gyarados could be a problem. Scarfing that Starmie wouldn't be bad, because as I said, entry hazards don't really destroy this team or anything. Then it can revenge Jolly +1 Gyaras, AND Dragons. Defensive Rotom could work as well but you need a nice physical attacker if you do that. Then I'd swap Starmie out for something you can set up.
I changed the EV Spread for Scizor to 150HP 48 def, 80 speed, 252 atk. This set of EVs should be enough to hold it's own against swampert and Other EQ users. SD Scizor will be able to set up more easily and deal heavy damage with Bullet Punch and Bug Bite, while increasing it's survivability. The 80 speed is just mainly for the common Skarmory with 16 speed EVs, even then it would just try to whirlwind me away, so I can still deal damage to it regardless.

I gave Starm T-bolt over Rapid Spin since I won't be facing to many stall teams and Gyara is a problem. Plus it would be nice to T-bolt skarm with Starmie if necessary. I just didn't like Rotom on my team because it took away from the necessary power that I needed to kill certain pokemon. I'm thinking about changing Starm's EV spread but still trying to keep it bulky, any suggestions?

It seems to be your agili-gross weak.
After a agility it outspeeds everything on your team, and it can OHKO 3 poke you pokemon (Jirachi and Heatran with EQ, Starmie with thunderpunch) and 2HKO Blissey,
and 3HKO both Scizor and Hippo. so basically, if your opponent takes out Hippo and Scizor, and they have a agili-gross, they win.
To remedy this, I would take out either Blissey or Jirachi, and add Agility Zapdos.
Non-Ice Punch variants of agili gross will always be beaten.
I'll test Zapdos, but I don't think it fits to well on my team, but I won't knock it till I try it. That AgiliGross weakness hurts though. If Zapdos doesn't work, I'll try to look for alternate solutions.

Scimjara

Bert Stare
is a Tutor Alumnus
Hello SFB nice team you have there but I have quite a few suggestions for you that hopefully helps you out!

You're team suprises me you start of with hippowdown so I expect a full blown out stall team then it starts to get more offensive hmm. You also run three steel types which gives you a bad ground and fire weakness. Having no ground resist gives you a great flygon weakness. With that I would expect salamence especially the old mix mence set to be a bigger threat on this team. Even +1 gyarados has the potential of sweeping this team beside starmie. All if needs is to set up a dragon dance on Blissey and if you choose to toxic the smart user would be able to get +2 and basically stroke the rest of your team. You also state that you have a slight infernape weakness once starmie is fainted which is quite obvious and the lack of you using a ghost pokemon aka rotom isn't a good idea. So I suggest you use scarf rotom over heatran!

Rotom-h @ Choice Scarf
Levitate : Timid
4 hp / 252 SpA / 252 Speed
~ Willow Wisp
~ Thunderbolt
~ Shadow Ball
~ Trick

Simple set you might be wondering why use willow wisp on scarf rotom. Well the most comman switches into scarf rotom are tyranitar or flygon because of a predicted tbolt. Instead of using the obvious move and you use a little prediction you can nail them with a willow wisp. This helps against your dragon dance gyarados weakness and negates Mence's earthquake or brick break doing over 50% with tbolt in return.

Move sets that should be changed:

• Roar over Ice Fang on hippowdown because you lack a phazer on you're team and having roar on hippowdown is quite frankly the better option.
  • Choice Band Scizor sd scizor as of late is so meh way to many rotom's and heatrans as of now and being able to scout with u-turn is better.
Good Luck with your team!

Hello SFB nice team you have there but I have quite a few suggestions for you that hopefully helps you out!

You're team suprises me you start of with hippowdown so I expect a full blown out stall team then it starts to get more offensive hmm. You also run three steel types which gives you a bad ground and fire weakness. Having no ground resist gives you a great flygon weakness. With that I would expect salamence especially the old mix mence set to be a bigger threat on this team. Even +1 gyarados has the potential of sweeping this team beside starmie. All if needs is to set up a dragon dance on Blissey and if you choose to toxic the smart user would be able to get +2 and basically stroke the rest of your team. You also state that you have a slight infernape weakness once starmie is fainted which is quite obvious and the lack of you using a ghost pokemon aka rotom isn't a good idea. So I suggest you use scarf rotom over heatran!

Rotom-h @ Choice Scarf
Levitate : Timid
4 hp / 252 SpA / 252 Speed
~ Willow Wisp
~ Thunderbolt
~ Shadow Ball
~ Trick

Simple set you might be wondering why use willow wisp on scarf rotom. Well the most comman switches into scarf rotom are tyranitar or flygon because of a predicted tbolt. Instead of using the obvious move and you use a little prediction you can nail them with a willow wisp. This helps against your dragon dance gyarados weakness and negates Mence's earthquake or brick break doing over 50% with tbolt in return.

Move sets that should be changed:

• Roar over Ice Fang on hippowdown because you lack a phazer on you're team and having roar on hippowdown is quite frankly the better option.
  • Choice Band Scizor sd scizor as of late is so meh way to many rotom's and heatrans as of now and being able to scout with u-turn is better.
Good Luck with your team!
I tested the team out a few times with your suggestions and the first huge weakness that comes by is T-tar. It absolutely obliterates the team if Scizor is down, which is not cool. >.<

CB Scizor was a good idea and I'm sticking with it, but Rotom is giving me this massive T-tar weakness. I lose several weakness, but I gain some more through T-tar. >.< Not to mention that it seems like Hippow dies afet one explosion from Azelf, which makes no sense to me unless they invested a great deal into attack EVs.

Idk if I'll stick with Rotom because of this T-tar weakness, unless you guys have any suggestions to fix that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)