[RMT] OU Balanced Team attempt

Team Overview

Okay, so I've been working on my team for quite some time now, adding a Pokémon, taking another away, always switching, trying to find a balanced team, capable of hitting hard as well as defending if necessary.
I tried using not the same Pokémon, as I can't stand seeing the same Pokémon over and over, and I needed to see if I could handle new challenges.
My team tries to cover as much weaknesses as possible, and I usually have a Pokémon that I can switch in to cover a weakness or to take an attack without suffering a huge damage.
Now, let's move on to the presentation of every Pokémon.

The Team

The Starter

Spiritomb (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/140 Atk/118 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Pursuit
- Pain Split
- Sucker Punch
- Will-o-wisp

This Pokémon is really underrated, in my opinion: it has no weaknesses, and it can take something like 3 or 4 Earthquakes (just to make an example) before collapsing.
Will-o-wisp is my first move, and it's incredibly useful against classic starters like Bronzong or Metagross, while being simply bothersome for the others. The idea is to burn them, then Sucker Punch 'em, Pain Splitting when needed to keep HP high, and hitting with Pursuit when the opponent's Pokémon is likely to switch.
Usually Spiritomb is not known and understood, and even recognizing its potential, it's really a pain in the neck when it's on the other side of the barricade.

---

The Mixed Sweeper

Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 64 Atk/192 Spd/252 SAtk
Hasty nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Close Combat
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot

This is a classic set for Infernape: it's fast, and it can hit really hard. Close Combat is there for guys like Blissey, which Infernape can 2HKO. Grass Knot is really useful against Pokémon like Swampert, or Water Pokémon in general. HP Ice is a great move and it can be really useful against Salamence, as it's usually absolutely unexpected.

---

The Staller

Suicune @ Nothing
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 254 HP/252 Def/4 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Surf

I discovered Suicune just recently, and it's useful to bring some situations to a stall: the basic idea is to Calm Mind, Rest away the damage and then Sleep Talking, hoping to get Calm Mind or Surf, which combined to Suicune good Special Attack can hit quite hard even on neutral types.

---

The Unsuspected Threat

Gallade (M) @ Nothing
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 236 HP/252 Atk/22 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Night Slash
- Psycho Cut

This is another quite underrated Pokémon. It has average stats overall, but a really nice Attack and Special Defence: this set is made to deal with opponents who don't know or underestimate Gallade, hitting hard with Close Combat and using Leaf Blade against Water types. Night Slash and Psycho Cut provide even more firepower to hit others' weaknesses.

---

The Sweep-Tank

Salamence (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 86 HP/208 Spd/216 SAtk
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Roost

Salamence is a beast. I thought I wouldn't have used it, since it's incredibly common, but I had to change my mind: its great attack and nice HP give it a lot of chances to survive hard hitting attacks and then counter with the moves it has, using Roost when low on HP. It's a really good option for the lategame, I believe.

---

The Physical Attacker

Electivire (M) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
- Earthquake
- Cross Chop
- Ice Punch
- Thunderbolt

Electivire's why I decided to take Weavile away and added Suicune: the latter can lure Electric attacks for this li'l beast, that, with the speed boost given by Motor Drive can outspeed some Pokémon and hit hard according to the foe's type. Another guy like Salamence, good for the lategame, although he has to look out for Ground type attacks.

Conclusion

I hope you liked my team, and I hope you can contribute, helping me tweaking the imperfection in my Pokémon to achieve even better results.
I may say that as of now I'm really satisfied, and I've won a lot of battles with this team, not finding big problems.
So, help me with my team, please :)
Cheers!

Comments:

Spiritomb - Not bad, but what does it do against Heatran? Heatran is a quite common lead, and you cannot touch it.
Also you might want to consider Taunt. It can allow you to shut down Bronzong, and with a little Speed Investment, Hippowdon (100 EVs) and Swampert (140 EVs) as well.

Infernape: No NP Mixape isn't really too good in this current meta, what with Latias running around everywhere in addition to his normal counters. Consider swapping Grass Knot out for U-turn and switching to a Choice Scarf. This lets him nail a lot of his common switch-ins (Starmie, Azelf, Latias) quite hard while scouting the opposing team, and he can serve as a revenge killer for DDMence to boot.

Suicune: Why on earth would you not run an item? Run leftovers on this thing!

Gallade: Again, why not an item? Leftovers, Expert Belt, Fist Plate, or Muscle Band are all free Recovery/Damage that there is absolutely 0 disadvantage to running, and a good case could be made for either Life Orb or Choice Band. If Life Orb is chosen, consider Swords Dance over Psycho Cut or Leaf Blade (Dark + Fighting gets almost perfect coverage anyways and a SE Leaf Blade is the same power as a neutral Close Combat, so it's just a choice between the ability to nail Swampert and a secondary STAB). You may also want to consider Shadow Sneak over Night Slash to compensate for his mediocre speed.

Salamence: Adamant is NOT a good nature on something with a heavy special attack investment. I strongly suggest changing this to a nature that lowers one of your defenses (probably Special so Intimidate is better) and increases either Special Attack or Speed.

Electivire: Electivire's power really leaves something to be desired. Additionally, you lack a Steel type, which is really a no-no in the modern Metagame. I suggest dropping him for CB Scizor, some variety of Metagross, or scarfed Heatran

Comments:

Spiritomb - Not bad, but what does it do against Heatran? Heatran is a quite common lead, and you cannot touch it.
Also you might want to consider Taunt. It can allow you to shut down Bronzong, and with a little Speed Investment, Hippowdon (100 EVs) and Swampert (140 EVs) as well.

Infernape: No NP Mixape isn't really too good in this current meta, what with Latias running around everywhere in addition to his normal counters. Consider swapping Grass Knot out for U-turn and switching to a Choice Scarf. This lets him nail a lot of his common switch-ins (Starmie, Azelf, Latias) quite hard while scouting the opposing team, and he can serve as a revenge killer for DDMence to boot.

Suicune: Why on earth would you not run an item? Run leftovers on this thing!

Gallade: Again, why not an item? Leftovers, Expert Belt, Fist Plate, or Muscle Band are all free Recovery/Damage that there is absolutely 0 disadvantage to running, and a good case could be made for either Life Orb or Choice Band. If Life Orb is chosen, consider Swords Dance over Psycho Cut or Leaf Blade (Dark + Fighting gets almost perfect coverage anyways and a SE Leaf Blade is the same power as a neutral Close Combat, so it's just a choice between the ability to nail Swampert and a secondary STAB). You may also want to consider Shadow Sneak over Night Slash to compensate for his mediocre speed.

Salamence: Adamant is NOT a good nature on something with a heavy special attack investment. I strongly suggest changing this to a nature that lowers one of your defenses (probably Special so Intimidate is better) and increases either Special Attack or Speed.

Electivire: Electivire's power really leaves something to be desired. Additionally, you lack a Steel type, which is really a no-no in the modern Metagame. I suggest dropping him for CB Scizor, some variety of Metagross, or scarfed Heatran
Thanks you for the great suggestions, some pokémon didn't have items because I needed suggestions there too :)
Anyway, I was already considering some of the changes you suggested, like U-Turn for Infernape, and adding a Scizor.
Thanks for the great input :D

Any other suggestion?

Bump?
So, I gave Infernape U-Turn, which is a great way to scout, andswitched to Choice Scarf.
I was seriously thinking about adding Heatran to my team, not necessarily as a starter, but maybe. Any thoughts?

SlottedPig

sem feio
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Just a heads-up, if you change around your team, you should edit your original post.

Suicune seems like it wants Leftovers and Gallade enjoys Choice Band.

Maybe you should consider shadow sneak over night slash on Gallade to catch Gengar off guard. Priority move themselves are excellent at finishing off pokemon.

Salamence looked a bit odd with it's ev spread. I'd suggest not using an adamant nature with two main special attacks and all those special attack evs.
Use something like naughty or rash. Stay away from lonely and mild as Mamoswine's ice shard can mean death even with a Yache berry. Also, people often overlook Salamence's 100 base speed so maybe use a naive nature so it can out speed every of salamence and not get caught off guard by speed natured 90s and 95s. I thought a speed nature over attacking nature because of your one physical move earthquake. Unless you can find any 2hk0s turns into ohk0s with the attack nature i'd say go for rash/naive.

Rest on Suicune is handy for status but the sleep talk is a waste of a move. Vaporeon and Lapras will have fun healing up with water absorb so maybe use an ice beam or hidden power grass/electric for coverage? Your Suicune can easily survive rests 2 turns of sleep after a few calm minds for certain against any neutral damage and after numerous calm minds Gengar's thunderbolt isn't so intimidating either.

Take a look at using Gallade as a lead instead of Spiritomb too. If you think it goes better don't go for a focus sash. Run 252 hp / 252 attack / 4 speed. That will ensure you won't be ohk0'd by any common leads. Shadow sneak is a must for the lead too if you opt for it.

Timid nature on Infernape and use 4 hp / 252 spA / 252 speed with vacuum wave, grass knot, hidden power ice and flamethrower maybe? Don't always assume every Gengar uses a speed nature because Infernape will easily act as a late game sweeper easily cleansing the enemies team.

Electivire should have thunderpunch instead of thunderbolt with adamant nature and 0 special attack evs. Brick break is worth considering as it is a lot more reliable and will destroy walls set up by the common Uxie which often lack hidden power ground. Some even have thunderbolt which is always a welcome boost.

Yes but what about Heatran? I know it's a common lead, but it seems like a reliable beasty :)
Anyways, I'm currently thinking about how I'm gonna modify my Salamence which, I realise, is a bit odd. Might look for a naive nature, it seems to me It'd be exactly what I need.
Anyways, I've been thinking about taking Electivire away, maybe even for the above mentioned Heatran. So unsure right now :P

What does spiritomb survive 4 earthquakes from?my bidoof?as of late,i have seen that rotom-h does spiritomb's job much better.use this set:252 hp/168 def/88 speed-Thunderbolt/Shadow Ball/Overheat/Will-o-wisp.He counters Scizor,and still has a lot of bulk while still maintaining speed and special atk.

Gallade needs an item, period. I have no idea why you would even think no item on any Pokemon is a good idea. Lefties on this set, if anything, but in general the set isn't one of Gallade's best.

I would also follow the suggestion someone made on Rotom-h. It does Spiritomb's job much better, and and gives you a better Scizor counter. As for your lead, I'd switch out the Rotom-h for a LeadApe, a lot more reliable lead than your current one. You could also look into an Anti-lead Gallade set.

Also, take a look at the MixMence set on the site, it's clearly outclasses your set, moveset wise and EV spread wise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)