XY OU RMT OU - One of my First Teams

I am going to a local Pokémon Tournament next week and the rules are Smogon XY OU. I have a team in my Pokémon X that I play Battle Spot with it, and I could get rating I find good(~1750), but since Battle Spot is different from 6v6 I realised I need to make a more appropriate team. I played quite a bit with it in Showdown and changed some Pokémon and strategies. Unfortunately I'm not satisfied with my score on the simulator, I'm losing a lot of matches. I'll show the Team and I'll be pleased to hear the tips and the comments on it =)

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Almost always I use Gyarados as a lead. I use it's ability to reduce the foe's attack stat in order to set a Dragon Dance. I always play with it's type changing when mega evolving. After mega evolving Mold Breaker hasn't been useful, but I can HK Rotom-W with an Earthquake. Using 3 attacks + Dragon Dance shows that I use it to sweep some teams that lack of defensive Pokémon. The EV spread is the standard of a Physical Sweeper.

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

Aegislash's being useful in this team. It is my Ghost choice. I run a regular VGC set, when the priority is to find a good way to have it's Weakness Policy activated and then use STAB Shadow Ball to hit most Pokémon, even when they are neutral to it. I choose Sacred Sword instead of Flash Cannon because it's my only Fighting type move in the team. Altough it is being hard to counter fairy-type without a steel-type attack. Aegislash is doing good in the team. However, changing it's forms with King's Shield always mean that the game is going to end in a prediction game.

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp

Talonflame is my glass cannon. This EV Spread is from an old Smogon Thread about Talonflame. Apparently it gives him speed enough to outspeed Mega Kangaskhan's priority moves with Brave Bird(Altough it's not more necessary since it was banned from OU). I find Talonflame good for end-game since he can finish a lot of non-defensive Pokémon with a +1 STAB Brave Bird. Will-O-Wisp is there but it's rarely used.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Tomb

Garchomp shows it's utility being a fast sweeper. Besides Scarf locking it in a move, I don't know if I can risk battling with it without choice scarf, 'cause it's not as fast as I'd like it to be. Earthquake is being used to deal with the OverUsed Aegislash and Mega Ampharos - I choose Rock Tomb as it's 4th move because it's a 100% accuracy move and it reduces the foe's speed as well. Rock Tomb is a preferable move against Pokémon with 4x weakness to rock-type attacks because it can't HK some of those who has 2x weakness, with those I use the risky Stone Edge. Outrage is there but it's rarely used, 'cause fairy pokémon are now very common.

Rotom-Wash @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Modest Nature
- Discharge
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch

Rotom-W is my special wall. Assault Vest is boosting it's Sp.Def. but I can't use the move Rotom-W is most known for: Will-O-Wisp. With Assault Vest I can choose Modest Nature 'cause it will boost my Sp.Atk instead of choosing a nature for boosting Sp.Def. When I see I can't HK or 2HKo with Thunderbolt I can go for a 30% chance of paralising Discharge. Volt Switch is used when I predict switching, so it gives me the upper hand. Hydro Pump is still a risky move and it was nerfed this gen. However, I can't use Rotom-W without it's powerful STAB Water move.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Atk / 84 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

I used to use Cresselia instead of Ferrothorn but 6v6 requires at least Stealth Rock to prevent from lots opponent's switches and to make Talonflame's life a lot harder. This is a standard EV Spread from Smogon Dex which I find particularly good because Gyro Ball is destroying Dragon Pokémon. Ferrothorn is
a good partner of Gyarados, both types complement themselves. Leech seed is for longevity(of course =P) and Ferrothorn is my physical wall.​

Threats
Hazards - I find my team pretty weak to hazards since it lacks of Spinner/Defogger. Talonflame loses half of the HP and sometimes can't even come back to the battle after SR is setted up by the opponent.
Clefable - If my Ferrothorn is fainted. Then the opponent will win. I can't deal damage to a Clefable with anything but Gyro Ball.
Suicune - As well as Clefable I only have one Pokémon to deal with this guy. If my Rotom-W is gone then it's a loss for me. Calm Mind + Rest + Sleep Talk Suicune can also deal with Rotom-W pretty well.
Breloom - Physical Attacker Breloom is very annoying against this team. It's being really hard to counter it and if Talonflame is fainted then it requires lots of prediction to be succesful against this Breloom.

Please give me tips on the team =)

Importable:
Quiet Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

Talonflame @ Choice Band
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Tomb

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Rotom-Wash @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Modest Nature
- Discharge
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Atk / 84 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

This is a nice team, but your Aegislash Set is weird. You have one special move and 252 EVs in SpA. I understand that Shadow Ball is Aegislash's main STAB, but why not try out Iron Head, or Swords Dance, and invest fully in Attack.

Also, I think that you should play a Resto-Chesto or Pain Split/Will-O-Wisp on Rotom-Wash. Rotom Wash can already soak up special hits like a sponge as it is and Will-O-Wisp allows Wash to cripple common physical threats like Mawile, SD Aegislash and Dragonite.

Hope it helps!
-PK

That's pretty much the standard set for aegislash even if it has only 1 special attack it's extremely effective since it can punch holes in teams and does need to set up or worry about burns. Sacred sword is for perfect neutral coverage, shadow sneak for priority, kings shield is pretty self explanatory. I would suggest leftovers for its item as aegislash can take neutral and resisted hits very well and can weaken super effective contact moves with kings shield.

Replacing protect on ferrothorn with power whip will give you an easier time with facing water pokemon.

Conkeldurr is a threat to your team:
Mega gyarados: drain punch, Mach punch
Aegislash: knock off
Ferrothorn: same as mega dos
Garchomp: ice punch
Rotom: can take WoW if you decide to run it, all attacks with assault vest and drain punch to recover, specially defensive rotom has a harder time taking it down

Last edited:
Sacred Sword is a special attack too...
Brave Fencer is outdated imo
I recommend Shadow Ball Flash Cannon Sacred Sword and King's Shield.
Weakness Policy is nice too because Aegislash in shield forme can tank lots of hits, and if one hit activates the WP, he sometimes finds himself sweeping teams.

Weakness Policy is nice too because Aegislash in shield forme can tank lots of hits, and if one hit activates the WP, he sometimes finds himself sweeping teams.
Sacred sword is a physical attack.
Aegislash is slow so getting weakness policy off and without shadow sneak it will not be sweeping teams as easily as you may think.

mmmh I do not know what to think of this team. It is also quite strong and ordered but I see many problems. First of all, except rotom team has a big weakness against Landorus-t. Furthermore, let us realize that you have 2 pokemon who suffer stealth rock, no taunt to prevent the entry, and there is also Pinsir. You could say, I Rotom and Talonflame, but observes +2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 233-275 (76.6 - 90.4%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock Rotom take 90% max Damage By +2 mega Pinsir, it is unthinkable that rotom arrivals before Pinsir full life, so the best advice I can give is to invest 252 spd talonflame to avoid hitting him first with quick attack. Find a spinner/defogger. It's essential

Thanks for the tips.
This is a nice team, but your Aegislash Set is weird. You have one special move and 252 EVs in SpA. I understand that Shadow Ball is Aegislash's main STAB, but why not try out Iron Head, or Swords Dance, and invest fully in Attack.

Also, I think that you should play a Resto-Chesto or Pain Split/Will-O-Wisp on Rotom-Wash. Rotom Wash can already soak up special hits like a sponge as it is and Will-O-Wisp allows Wash to cripple common physical threats like Mawile, SD Aegislash and Dragonite.

Hope it helps!
-PK
I'll try using this Rotom-W set, it seems better than running 3 electric-type attacks.

That's pretty much the standard set for aegislash even if it has only 1 special attack it's extremely effective since it can punch holes in teams and does need to set up or worry about burns. Sacred sword is for perfect neutral coverage, shadow sneak for priority, kings shield is pretty self explanatory. I would suggest leftovers for its item as aegislash can take neutral and resisted hits very well and can weaken super effective contact moves with kings shield.

Replacing protect on ferrothorn with power whip will give you an easier time with facing water pokemon.

Conkeldurr is a threat to your team:
Mega gyarados: drain punch, Mach punch
Aegislash: knock off
Ferrothorn: same as mega dos
Garchomp: ice punch
Rotom: can take WoW if you decide to run it, all attacks with assault vest and drain punch to recover, specially defensive rotom has a harder time taking it down
What would you recommend on my team to beat Conkeldurr? I think my Talonflame can HK Conkeldurr, but without it my team is pretty weak to it.

I used to run Flash Cannon on Aegislash but I realised that it's hard to use a team without any priority moves(besides Talonflame's Brave Bird), so now I use Shadow Sneak instead. For replacing the steel-type attack I choose Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball.

mmmh I do not know what to think of this team. It is also quite strong and ordered but I see many problems. First of all, except rotom team has a big weakness against Landorus-t. Furthermore, let us realize that you have 2 pokemon who suffer stealth rock, no taunt to prevent the entry, and there is also Pinsir. You could say, I Rotom and Talonflame, but observes +2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 233-275 (76.6 - 90.4%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock Rotom take 90% max Damage By +2 mega Pinsir, it is unthinkable that rotom arrivals before Pinsir full life, so the best advice I can give is to invest 252 spd talonflame to avoid hitting him first with quick attack. Find a spinner/defogger. It's essential
Would Mandibuzz be a good deffoger for my team? If so, should I change it for Ferrothorn? I'm pretty used to Magic Bounce Espeon, and I can play with it pretty well, would it be good for replacing a spinner/defogger? I can run Espeon with Reflect and Light Screen(Light Clay) and avoid being sweeped by some Pokémon.

Thanks for the tips.
Would Mandibuzz be a good deffoger for my team? If so, should I change it for Ferrothorn? I'm pretty used to Magic Bounce Espeon, and I can play with it pretty well, would it be good for replacing a spinner/defogger? I can run Espeon with Reflect and Light Screen(Light Clay) and avoid being sweeped by some Pokémon.
Maybe it would be a better solution rocky helmet Skarmory> Mandibuzz. Whereas remove Ferrothorn you have another pokemon that removes Stealth Rock, counter dragons, and runs decently Azumarill. more or less find a pokemon with similar characteristics so at least you also have a solution regarding Pinsir and not have to rely only on rotom.

The synergy of this team is there, and it is overall really solid. But, I find a lot of the EV Spreads really weird >.<

Before I get to the EV spreads, CM Clefable wrecks this team (like you mentioned before). With access to Flamethrower, Ferro isn't a safe answer. I recommend changing Sacred Sword for Flash Cannon. That way, you could hit Clefables super effectively.
Quiet Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Flash Cannon

Next, you also mentioned hazards. Once again, a team with both Gyara and Talonflame, but without a Rapid Spinner or Defogger isn't efficient. You should add a mon to remove hazards on your team. I can see that Rotom-W is your team's way to deal with Talonflame and Mega Pinsir, but without Def investment AND no way of recovery (btw standard SpDef Rotom is superior to AV), Rotom-W isn't a very reliable answer. Because of that, I suggest replacing Rotom-W with Zapdos. Zapdos deals extremely well with Pinsir and Talonflame, while also providing the well needed Defog support. Now, you have a more reliable answer to Fly-Spam and a way to remove hazards. Gyara / Ferro / Talon still makes a Water Fire Grass core, so don't worry about that.
Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Defog
- Heat Wave / Hidden Power Ice
- Roost

Now to Garchomp. I see no reason to run Rock Tomb. I suggest replacing Rock Tomb with Fire Blast. Fire Blast allows you to hit Skarmory which would otherwise wall your set, and also Ferrothorn and physically defensive Mega Scizor.
Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 216 Atk / 40 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

Finally, the EV spreads. Why do you run attack EVs on Ferro when its supposed to be used as a wall? There is no need to run so much attack EVs. Since I recommended PhyDef Zapdos, a SpDef Ferrothorn would work well with Zapdos. SpDef Ferro also answers to Greninja, an otherwise big threat to your team. Attack EVs are wasted imo, since your only attacking move is Gyro. Investing in bulk is way better :]
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Talon's EV spread is abit weird too. Unless you're running Roost, Bulk Up, or Sky Plate variants, I see no point in investing HP Evs on a Choice Banded set. Investing fully in speed allows Talon to hit 351 speed, one above the Lati twins. This can allow you to U-Turn and gain momentum, while also hitting them super effectively should they decide to stay in. On a choice banded set, you'll be spamming attacks anyway, so recoil will severely wear you down. The extra HP will not come in handy 80% of the time. Investing fully in speed can also allow you to potentially win speed ties with opposing Talon, whereas right now, you're guaranteed to get outsped by other Talonflames.
Talonflame @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp
Will-O-Wisp on Talon can surprise alot of mons, so its actually not bad, even on a choice banded set. Alternatively you could also run Tailwind for a last ditch suicide effort to provide the additional speed for your team mates. Its all up to you :]

So thats all I have to say. Cheers and gl!

The synergy of this team is there, and it is overall really solid. But, I find a lot of the EV Spreads really weird >.<

Before I get to the EV spreads, CM Clefable wrecks this team (like you mentioned before). With access to Flamethrower, Ferro isn't a safe answer. I recommend changing Sacred Sword for Flash Cannon. That way, you could hit Clefables super effectively.
Quiet Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Flash Cannon

Next, you also mentioned hazards. Once again, a team with both Gyara and Talonflame, but without a Rapid Spinner or Defogger isn't efficient. You should add a mon to remove hazards on your team. I can see that Rotom-W is your team's way to deal with Talonflame and Mega Pinsir, but without Def investment AND no way of recovery (btw standard SpDef Rotom is superior to AV), Rotom-W isn't a very reliable answer. Because of that, I suggest replacing Rotom-W with Zapdos. Zapdos deals extremely well with Pinsir and Talonflame, while also providing the well needed Defog support. Now, you have a more reliable answer to Fly-Spam and a way to remove hazards. Gyara / Ferro / Talon still makes a Water Fire Grass core, so don't worry about that.
Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Defog
- Heat Wave / Hidden Power Ice
- Roost

Now to Garchomp. I see no reason to run Rock Tomb. I suggest replacing Rock Tomb with Fire Blast. Fire Blast allows you to hit Skarmory which would otherwise wall your set, and also Ferrothorn and physically defensive Mega Scizor.
Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 216 Atk / 40 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

Finally, the EV spreads. Why do you run attack EVs on Ferro when its supposed to be used as a wall? There is no need to run so much attack EVs. Since I recommended PhyDef Zapdos, a SpDef Ferrothorn would work well with Zapdos. SpDef Ferro also answers to Greninja, an otherwise big threat to your team. Attack EVs are wasted imo, since your only attacking move is Gyro. Investing in bulk is way better :]
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Talon's EV spread is abit weird too. Unless you're running Roost, Bulk Up, or Sky Plate variants, I see no point in investing HP Evs on a Choice Banded set. Investing fully in speed allows Talon to hit 351 speed, one above the Lati twins. This can allow you to U-Turn and gain momentum, while also hitting them super effectively should they decide to stay in. On a choice banded set, you'll be spamming attacks anyway, so recoil will severely wear you down. The extra HP will not come in handy 80% of the time. Investing fully in speed can also allow you to potentially win speed ties with opposing Talon, whereas right now, you're guaranteed to get outsped by other Talonflames.
Talonflame @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp
Will-O-Wisp on Talon can surprise alot of mons, so its actually not bad, even on a choice banded set. Alternatively you could also run Tailwind for a last ditch suicide effort to provide the additional speed for your team mates. Its all up to you :]

So thats all I have to say. Cheers and gl!
Thank you very much for the tips. Can you explain me Ferrothorn's EV spread and Garchomp's 40 Sp.Atk. investment? @Edit: I forgot to mention that, how will I deal with bulky normal-types such as Porygon2 and Snorlax(Curse)?

Maybe it would be a better solution rocky helmet Skarmory> Mandibuzz. Whereas remove Ferrothorn you have another pokemon that removes Stealth Rock, counter dragons, and runs decently Azumarill. more or less find a pokemon with similar characteristics so at least you also have a solution regarding Pinsir and not have to rely only on rotom.
Thanks! I'll try that too.

Even though talonflame can BB conkeldurr it cannot switch into any of its moves easily if stealth rock is up as it will take a lot of damage. To play around this you cant let hazard be set up or you have to bait colkeldurr in and kill it as fast as possible.

You could run a bold magic guard/unaware clefable with moonblast, flamethrower, soft-boiled, cosmic power/calm mind which easily scares it away. Wish support and aromatherapy is also pretty good allowing aggressive switches.

Skarmory could be a replacement for ferrothorn as it can do pretty much the same role and gives you a way to remove hazards and phaze out setup pokemon.

Skarmory
Leftovers/rocky helmet
Impish
Stealth rock
Whirlwind
Brave bird
Roost

This set allows skarm to get up hazards, whirlwind anything theating away that can set up and wall things while healing up.

Another suggestion... invest 4 evs gyarados to def instead of hp. Stealth rock are bitch 4 him... flyng, bugs, ice and fire pokemon need of an odd number of hp

Another suggestion... invest 4 evs gyarados to def instead of hp. Stealth rock are bitch 4 him... flyng, bugs, ice and fire pokemon need of an odd number of hp
The 4evs in hp is perfect for lvl 50 pokemon which is used as the default rules on X and Y.

Thanks everyone. Just one more thing, how will I deal with bulky normal-types such as Porygon2, Snorlax(Curse) and Eviolite Chansey?

Thanks everyone. Just one more thing, how will I deal with bulky normal-types such as Porygon2, Snorlax(Curse) and Eviolite Chansey?
Something with Knock Off and some fighting coverage would probably be your best bet either that or burn/posion stall. You can just try and play really aggressive and force your opponent to switch into those pokemon and use your STABs to try and break through but then again that would also depend on their team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)