RMT OU Standard

So... Yeah. This is my standard OU team that I've played with for a few months, up for crit for flaws I haven't spotted. Here goes:

Scizor @ Focus Sash
Technician
128 Def/128 Sp.Def/252 Atk
Adamant
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack
- X-Scissor

This is the lead. Not a fantastically common choice from what I've seen, but it does have some reasoning. Decent type coverage and counters quite a few standard leads (Including Azelf, which I hate >.>). Focus Sash means that I'm guaranteed to get a SD in, then I can use a priority move to hammer whatever it is that's out provided it's not Steel-type.

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Serene Grace
252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/6 HP
Modest
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Flamethrower
- Shock Wave

Special sweeper/Flinchhax. The Scarf means it outspeeds a hell of a lot, and gets the opportunity to get that 60% flinch rate in. Others for type coverage when you're predicting your opponent will switch; Flamethrower conters Steel, and Shock Wave just adds a little more variety.

Salamence @ Life Orb
Intimidate
252 Atk/252 Spd/6 HP
Adamant
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake

This one's pretty self-explanatory if you ask me. Arguably the best Physical sweeper in OU. Dragon Dance Outrage = fantastic win. Earthquake deals with the Steels Outrage can't do an awful lot with, Stone Edge for the crit rate and general power.

Milotic @ Leftovers
Marvel Scale
252 HP/128 Sp. Def/128 Def
Bold
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Ice Beam
- Toxic

I get an awful lot of hate for using this, and also end up with a lot of Wall/Wall stalemate, which I'm not really sure how to fix. So yeah, Toxic, Rest, then Sleep Talk hoping for Ice Beam while their attacks all bounce off because of Marvel Scale.

Gardevoir @ Choice Specs
Synchronize
252 Sp. Atk/252 HP/6 Spd
Modest
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball

Choice Specs with that Special Attack stat is a recipe for glorious win. Even if Focus Blast is inaccurate, it packs one hell of a punch when it hits. Psychic for STAB, and TB and SB for type coverage. That is all.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Inner Focus
252 Atk/252 Spd/6 HP
Jolly
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extremespeed
- Crunch

This is a beast. After one SD this thing becomes nearly impossible to stop, with great STAB in Close Combat, a perfectly good priority move in Extremespeed, and type coverage in Crunch.

So that's all I guess. Be as harsh as you want, I'm not too good at this.

So, welcome to smogon! (as you can see I'm pretty new to this as well, so I think I can think on your perspective)

First, try to be more elaborate. The mods might give you some time with this since you're new, but you will need to add some more explanations. I mean, this rule can be a hassle, but hey, you're the one who decided to post here.

Second and more importantly, let's try deal with some threats here. Gyarados can switch in on say your weakened scizor, which is not effectively hit, or a bulky version with taunt can set up also on your milotic. Now from there, there is nothing much that can take a hit from it. Indeed your gardevoire can bounce back intimidate, but it only does so much, and especially on a team with no Stealth Rock support, it can take intimidate while dishing out a hit, switch out, and set up again, repeat, and keep on going. This is not the only threat this team does not cover. I'm too lazy to find if agiligross is outsped by scarf togekiss, but if it isn't that's another big threat to, setting up on your scizor and eliminating much of your team.

Honestly, I don't see how this hole can be simply fixed-tbh it just looks like you put random 6 pokes together, which sometimes does work, but it won't more often than not. But I don't like ripping the whole team apart (too lazy to do so) so let's try to do it with the least changes.

-I'm not sure gardevoire works as it's supposed to. Sure, the trace ability will give you free switch-ins once in a while, but relying on it to get on the field unscathed is too much. Also, the point of getting in unscathed itself is pretty much marred if your defense pretty much sucks, and TONS of things outspeed you. Honestly, Gardevoire is much outclassed with a specs. A popular choice is specs latias, which is in line with your 'safe switch in' with the ability levitate. It has arguably better typing, better bulk, and better STAB to work with. If you don't like it, choices like a specs gengar is better with the exact same moveset, and it's a whole lot easier to switch in with its immunities.

-Let's look at your lead scizor. First off is that bug bite will be stronger than X-scissor due to technician. Second is, quick attack seems rather redundant considering that a few common leads are steel typed. The only lead that quick attack hits stronger is maybe Swampart? which can be hit with Bug Bite considering he doesn't have much to damage you anyways.

-Third, let's look at your mence--there's nothing wrong with it itself, other than the fact that SE seems like a rather shaky choice (a fire type naturally fits better, hitting skarm and bronzong, mainly skarm), but really, it would help a lot if you just locked yourself into outrage, and right after a steel comes in and puts an end to your sweep. After that, your mence will be just about done due to LO recoil, SR damage, and damage it takes setting up. You need more than just a single fire attack on togekiss to eliminate much steels as possible before your mence just wrecks through teams

I mean, it's actually a pretty decent first team the way I see it, don't have to say I suck at this anyways.

Hi,

Got your PM so here I go with the rate.
Okay, some elements of your team look quite good. For example DD Salamence and SD Lucario provide great offensive coverage together and the idea of a bulky water to support them defensively is also perfect. However there are several things I would change in order to improve the general performance of your team. Thinks like Lead Scizor or Specs Gardevoir are just not really usable in OU and thus should be replaced. Here is what I would do in detail.

First of all, Scizor is okay, but you should definitely use the Choice Band set and remove it from the lead slot. Scizor's ability to Pursuit things like Scarf Rotom-H and Gengar will greatly help your Lucario sweep. Also its stab U-Turn is just such a great scouting move and generally the main reason why Scizor is the most used pokemon in OU. This set will work:
Scizor@Choice Band
Adamant-248HP, 252Atk, 8SpDef
-Bullet Punch
-Superpower
-U-Turn
-Pursuit

Now what could you use as your lead. I think the best option would be changing Milotic to Swampert and using it as your lead. The reason why I suggest that is the fact that Swampert is a far better bulky water than Milotic and it's ability to set up Stealth Rock (something your team absolutely lacked until now, which is not acceptable at all). I recommend this set:
Swampert@Leftovers
Relaxed-252HP, 252Def, 4Spe
-Earthquake
-Ice Beam
-Roar
-Stealth Rock
4 Spe EVs let you outrun other Swampert, so you will be the first to Roar.

Lucario: Perfect. No Changes needed.
Salamence: Same as Lucario.

Togekiss, Latias: Okay, again your idea is good; a scarfed revenge killer with the chance to flinch hax and a hard hitting Specs user. But the realization is again lackluster. There are better pokemon that will do exactly the same as your present members, but significantly better. These are Choice Scarf Jirachi and Choice Specs Latias.
Jirachi@Choice Scarf
Jolly-252Atk, 252Spe, 4HP
-Iron Head
-Fire Punch
-ThunderPunch
-U-Turn/Zen-Headbutt
This Jirachi is also able to flinch hax and revenge stuff. the significant advantage over Togekiss is its speed. Togekiss will easily fall to any Dragon Dance users as they will easily outspeed and ohko after only one turn of set up. Jirachi is able to outspeed Tyranitar and Gyarados after DD and easily kill them with Iron Head and Thunderpunch respectively. Also it provides you with a reliable check for both SD Scizor and Lucario, who will easily run through your team otherwise. Jirachi also speed ties with DD Salamence after DD and can hope for a flinch to 2hko it, although that isn't very reliable. However Swampert and Scizor should be able to handle Salamence quite well, so I think it doesn't matter. The last slot should be either Zen-Headbutt or U-Turn. Zen-Headbutt can be very useful against Machamp, who your team will have quite a few problems with. The 40% Flinch chance along with Stab is also great. However U-Turn is also an option as it allows Jirachi to scout for magnezone switch ins. Magnezone is this Jirachi's biggest threat and you won't want to lose Jirachi too early due to its very important role in your team. On the other hand Jirachi can also simply use Fire Punch if you expect a Magnezone switch in, as Jirachi will outspeed and always 2hko the usual Magnezone with Fire Punch. So I think U-Turn is not absolutely needed and you should opt for Zen-Headbutt to deal with Machamp. Trick is not needed here as Latias already packs the move.

Latias@Choice Specs
Timid-252Spe, 252SpAtk, 4HP
-Draco Meteor
-Surf
-Grass Knot/Thunderbolt/Dragon Pulse
-Trick
This Latias hits incredibly hard, much harder than Gardevoir in fact. But that's not the only advantage as Latias is also much faster and its Stab attack has not only much higher base damage but also much better neutral coverage. Trick can cripple walls and bulky stat uppers like Suicune, Jirachi or Snorlax. Draco Meteor and Surf are standard as they hit everything hard and at least for neutral damage (bar Empoleon). For the last slot you have 3 options. Grass Knot is the best option for your team imo as it will ohko Swampert and deal heavy damage to Suicune and Tyranitar. Thunderbolt can be used but Empoleon is not such a big threat and Gyarados should be handled by Jirachi. Dragon Pulse deserves a mention as it can allow Latias to sweep late game but the coverage Grass Knot or Thunderbolt provide seem to be more important for your team. Also Salamence is the dragon you will usually want to sweep late game.

I'm sorry for those comparatively many changes but I really think they were necessary in order to make your team competitive in today's metagame and I believe that's what you wanted.

So hope I could help. Good Luck !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)