RMT OU - Weatherless Balanced

Hey! This is my first RMT. I'd like to get some tips for my team which I've been playing and modifying for over 3 months of playing.
Team Preview

The Pokémon

Espeon (M) @ Light Clay
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This Espeon uses the main moveset for Espeon as a lead. My team has no spinner, so it's being used in order to counter hazards. Dual Screens works well raising my entire team defenses, covering it's weaness. Hidden Power Fire really helps me to fight against Ferrothorn or Skarmory. However, his poor defense gives me trouble, as it is easily fainted by Ferrothorn's gyro ball or Skarmory's brave bird. Espeon is also giving me a great support against Breloom, some trainers just use Breloom's Spore before my Espeon is fainted.​

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Recover
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Jellicent is being useful for me in a lot of ways. First, its Water Absorb works well with my Heatran, as it can switch in most of Heatran's threat and can forces Specs Politoed to switch after absorbing Hydro Pump. Its immunity to fight-type moves makes it even better with Heatran. Finally, I can use it as a spin blocker too. In order to keep Heatran's Stealth Rock in enemy's field.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SDef / 20 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- Wish
- Protect

Jirachi's basically purpose is to wall special attackers and paralyze dangerous sweepers. I chose Thunder Wave instead of Body Slam to make it work with all types and because I'm not so lucky. Iron Head after Thunder Wave really helps me against most dragon-types. Jirachi also gives me some cover against Physical Attacker Breloom, but after Swords Dance, Jirachi can't wall Breloom.

Heatran (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Offensive Heatran is a way to cover Jirachi's and Breloom's weakness, Heatran's Flash Fire is a great boost along with Life Orb. Stealth Rock is the only entry hazard my team got, so Heatran is really important against sun sweepers like Volcarona or Charizard, which can't do pretty much against it and takes great damage from Stealth Rock. Hidden Power Ice is the main option to revenge kill Outrage users.

Breloom (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Focus Punch

Breloom usually saves me from losing lots of battles. Dragonite can't OHKO my Breloom using Fire Punch, giving me a round to use Spore on it. Poison heal and leech seed recovers sufficient hp to keep using substitute against some pokémon. It's being also useful for defeating Gyarados, bounce's two turns need gives me time for setting up a substitute. Breloom's also great for me to defeat common entry hazards, like Ferrothorn or Forretress.

Salamence (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Claw
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail

To finish the team I thought I needed a sweeper. Salamence's Moxie can be really powerful against some teams which had their walls gone. It can outspeed most of the OU Tier, so I guess it's important to have a great dragon sweeper in this team. However, Scarf Latios will easily revenge kill it after I use Outrage. His poor defense and special defense are often covered by my Espeon's support(Dual screens).

Threats
Vaporeon - Vaporeon's hydration wall moveset is very dangerous to my team. If the it uses toxic in Jellicent before it can use taunt, then I have nothing to stop it.
Breloom - Physical Attacker Breloom is very annoying against this team. It's being really hard to counter it and requires lots of prediction to be succesful against this Breloom.
Gliscor - Gliscor after setting up Swords Dance is hard to stop with my team. My Heatran's Hidden Power Ice will only fade out the substitute to then take a 4x Earthquake from it.
Dragonite - Lum Berry Dragonite easily faints my Breloom. The round I had to use spore just goes away, Fire Fang then 2HKO my Breloom.
Starmie - My Jirachi is the only pokémon in the team which can switch-in to Jirachi. Starmie has everything against my team: Psychic moves for Breloom, Water moves for Heatran, Electric moves for Jellicent, Ice moves for Breloom and Salamence.

So, that's all! I hope you can give me tips for improving my team!

Importable:
Espeon (M) @ Light Clay
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Recover
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SDef / 20 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- Wish
- Protect

Heatran (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Breloom (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Focus Punch

Salamence (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Claw
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail

Last edited:

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi there! So I'm here to rate your RMT.

So I like the general synergy of the team, but I feel some of your item choices / move slots are kinda odd, so hopefully these small suggestions will help you out.

So my first suggestion is replacing Life Orb with Air Balloon on Heatran. Heatran doesn't really need to extra power thar LO provides, and Air Balloon allows Heatran to easily troubling Pokemon like Landorus-T and Garchomp to your team (they're still threatening, but this takes some pressure off when facing them).

For Jirachi I would definitely suggest Body Slam > Thunder Wave, as this allows you to paralyse Ground types like Garchomp and Landorus-T, which commonly switch into Jirachi. It has a nice 60% chance of a para, and gets some damage on threats (unlike Thunder Wave).

I feel that Breloom set is pretty inferior to other Grass types. I think Celebi could easily replace Breloom, as it has much better typing defensively speaking, as well as overall better bulk and move pool. It's still immune to status like Breloom (thanks to Natural Cure), but Celebi has many benefits for your team, including checking Starmie, Breloom, and Vaporeon, which you listed to be big problems for your team. Here's the set.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Spd / 216 SDef
Calm Nature
- Baton Pass
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Recover

So EVs are used to outspeed most Tyranitar, Scizor, and Adamant Breloom. The rest of the EVs are placed into SpDef to tank hits from Keldeo and Politoed. Baton Pass is used to gain momentum for your team and escpae Pursuit from Tyranitar and Scizor. Giga Drain is STAB and offers some recovery, which is pretty nice. Psychic is also STAB and is used to hit Breloom and other Fighting type attacks. Recover is used to keep Celebi nice and healthy. This Celebi can easily switch into Starmie, Breloom, and Vaporeon.

Other than that, I quite like this team. Good luck in the future!

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Vinoba

The first thing I notice with this team is a bit of a weakness to powerful Ground-type attackers like Scarf Garchomp and Double Dance Landorus-T. Heatran and Jirachi both die to Eathquake, and your only Ground immunity is weak to Outrage / Dual Chop and Stone Edge, respectively. While t is true that you have Breloom to absorb Ground moves as well, it is actually 2HKO'd by a +2 Earthquake from Landorus-T. It can also be caught on the switch with a a Fire Blast from Garchomp. Either, way, Ground-types really mess up your team. Because of this, I would change your Jirachi to a Shucca Berry set. This Jirachi is made to lure and KO Pokémon like Landorus-T and Garchomp, being able to survive and Earthquake from either and OHKO with Icy Wind. With those Pokémon out of the way, it will make it much easier for the rest of your team. Energy Ball can also hit Ground types that aren't 4x weak to Ice, especially Gastro and Hipppowdon. Finally, Hidden Power Fire can deal with Scizor and Ferrothorn, which also look like they can give your team trouble (especially SD AcroZor) if Heatran goes down. But with Jirachi, it shouldn't be a problem.

Next, I really don't think your Breloom set fits your team. I would use a Technician Focus Punch set over your defensive Loom. The Technician Focus Punch set works very well with Heatran to clear the way for a Salamence sweep. It lures in many of the things that could stop you from cleaning up with Outrage, namely Scarf Latios and Skarmory. Fighting Gem Focus Punch + Mach Punch is enough to "OHKO" both Latios and Skarmory. Heatran, on the other hand, can help deal with Jirachi, Ferrothorn, and Forretress. Once the opponent's Steels have been worn down, Salamence should have an easy time cleaning up.

Another minor change would be to use Air Balloon over Life Orb on Heatran. And since Jirachi has SR, I would use Toxic instead on Heatran, since you can catch Rotom-W, Politoed, and Jellicent, which LOVE to switch in on Heatran.

Anyway, hope I was able to help. Good luck with the team!

Jirachi @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 48 HP / 252 SAtk / 208 Spd
Modest Nature
- Icy Wind
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Stealth Rock

Breloom @ Fighting Gem
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Focus Punch
- Spore

Life Orb, Stealth Rock ----> Air Balloon, Toxic

Neat team here Vinoba!

I noticed in your threatlist that you mentioned Dragonite to be a pain. However, with Air Balloon Heatran and Stealth Rock on the field, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. If you do feel like Dragonite is still hard to deal with once set up, I suggest using Ice Beam over Will-O-Wisp on Jellicent. Scald already carries a chance for burn and Will-O-Wisp's inconsistent accuracy can cost you matches. Ice Beam then allows Jellicent to potentially hit opposing Breloom, Garchomp, and other common Rain team Pokemon. Because Jellicent has enough bulk to tank one Outrage at +1, it can come in once Dragonite has taken its first victim, which I'm assuming to be Heatran. Do note that Jellicent would prefer to be at full HP before having to take a hit.

I also noticed that your team has some severe issues with Gengar, as it outspeeds the majority of your team and can threaten many of your Pokemon with either Shadow Ball or Focus Blast. While Salamence may be able to revenge kill, switching-out usually won't bother Gengar, and it may put you in a situation where Salamence has to take Stealth Rock damage. To mitigate this problem, I suggest using Zen Headbutt over Protect on Jirachi. This allows Jirachi to nearly OHKO Gengar while not having to worry about Disable crippling Iron Head, but also slightly mitigates your issues with Breloom, as I noticed you mentioned using Jirachi to check Breloom variants that are yet to use Swords Dance. Much like Gengar, Breloom is nearly OHKOed by Zen Headbutt. After Stealth Rock and any previous damage, Breloom is for sure OHKOed.

Because your team has some solid defensive coverage, I avoided changing Pokemon in order to preserve that coverage. However, besides reflecting opposing Stealth Rock and setting Screens, I don't see the use of Espeon. From the sounds of your descriptions, it tends to just put you down 5-6 in a match. If you so desire, try running a Donphan over Espeon. In doing so, you lose Reflect and Light Screen in exchange for a way to revenge kill set-up Dragon-types and some additional security against the likes of Terrakion and Lucario should Breloom and Salamence bite the bullet early. Donphan also has Rapid Spin, meaning that unlike Espeon, it can remove hazards throughout the entire match, whereas Espeon can only discourage their use. Because you won't be needing Stealth Rock on Donphan, try using Head Smash in its place. Many people will almost immediately throw a spinblocker out once they see Donphan hit the stage, and Head Smash will allow you to do a huge chunk of damage, potentially allowing you to spin later on in a match. Here's the set:

Donphan @ Leftovers| Sturdy
Impish | 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Rapid Spin / Earthquake / Head Smash / Ice Shard

Donphan also has the added perk of really fitting onto your team, as both Jellicent and Heatran are able to switch-in on many moves typically thrown at it while being able to take Electric-type attacks aimed at Jellicent. Hope these changes help! Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)