RMT- They're red hot

Howdy, I've been a ghost reader on here for the past few weeks and feel its time to get my team rated by you guys. I've been running a sunny day squad built around my Charizard for a few weeks now and I've not had any real problems yet but just would like to see if you guys think there are any obvious holes I've missed. Thanks! :)

THE SCOUT

Yanmega [Yam] (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost [Modest]
Evs: 4 HP/252 Sp.Att/252 Spd
Protect
Hypnosis
Bug Buzz
Air Slash

I start the game off with Yanmega, running the standard starting set to get a feel for how their team works and hopefully sweep one or two pokes off with protect, a free speed boost, and then Bug buzz. If I’m about to die I hypnosis them and hope for the best haha.

THE SET UPS

Dragonite [Nite] (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Inner Focus [Calm]
EVs: 248 HP/216 Sp.Def/44 Spd
Sunny day
Roost
Light Screen
Dragon Pulse

Dragonite is my primary sunny day set up. I run the basic bulky supporter EVs so that he can set up sunny day no problem. He then set ups a light screen (extended by light clay for 8 turns) for boosted defence. Roost gives him some annoying durability and dragon pulse is so he can defend himself and isn’t a sitting duck.

Snorlax [Lax] (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat [Careful]
Evs: 168 HP/46 Att/44 Def/252 Sp.Def
Sunny day
Earthquake
Crunch
Curse

Lax is a bit of a prototype, as I tried to combine functions with in him. The aim was for a special wall that can set up sunny day, but can also pack a punch and survive the odd physical attack (44 defence EVs apparently survive a dragon dance stone edge from T-Tar if what I read here was correct). Curse gives him some sturdy-ness to physical attacks and an extra drive behind his EQ for T-tars (which he can then sunny day their sand stream away) and Crunch for dealing with ghosts and psychics before they can settle in the battle.

THE SWEEPERS

Tangrowth [Bush] (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll [Adamant]
EVs: 4 HP/252 Att/252 Spd
Power Whip
Swords Dance
Earthquake
Ancient Power

Tangrowth is my main physical sweeper, designed to take advantage of the sunny day speed boost he receives. With a sword dance or two and his pretty good attack stat he can rip through teams with his spread of physical attacks. His low speed is also off set with the EVs and the sunny day.

Charizard [Rizado] (M) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Blaze [Modest]
Evs: 4 HP/252 Sp.Att/252 Spd
Substitute
Flamethrower
Solarbeam
Sunny day

Charizard is the star of my team as he has perfect IVs in speed and special attack. The initial team was built around his ‘sunnyzard’ set. The versatility that this set brings is amazing as he can survive STAB surfs twice and sweep waters away with ease. Substitute gives him flexibility with activating Blaze and beefing up his flamethrower (which I opted for because of the increased Acc. As power won’t be an issue with sunny day and blaze). And extra sunny day was put on him as this team can’t have too many lol.

THE BACKUP

Swampert [Kipper] (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent [Impish]
Evs: 240 HP/52 Att/216 Def
Stealth rocks
Stone edge
Ice beam
Earthquake

I wanted a bulky water to support the team incase face an excess of dragon and t-tar’s in one match. I felt his type coverage best fitted in the team seeing as his only true weakness is grass and that is covered pretty well on here by charizard. Not much else to say about him really since he’s just a back up to the main plan.

So there we go, that’s my sunny day team. As I said, I’ve only been battling it a few weeks and haven’t had many problems, except for some t-tars and hippodons disrupting the flow of my game, but I have them pretty covered. So, pls rate, hate, comment and alert me to any holes I’ve missed. Cheers!

(PS, I would have used the nice pics other threads have but I dunno where to get them or how to add them to a post so sorry its just text lol)

EspyJoel

Espy <3
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
One big problem I see is that your lead doesnt prevent SR coming up which really hampers Charizard as it will only get one chance to pull off the sub-salac strategy, maybe using a fast taunt Sunny day Azelf as a lead that can taunt to stop SR against most leads, set up Sunny Day, and then set up SR or Double Screens, here we go:

Azelf@Light Clay/Focus Sash
Jolly nature
Levitate
Evs-4HP/252Atk/252Spd
-Taunt
-Sunny Day
-Reflect/Stealth Rock
-Light Screen/Explosion

I also dont feel like Dragonite and Snorlax are right for this team, I think a choice scarf Heatran or Life Orb Heatran if you use paralysis support should go there:

Heatran@Choice Scarf
Naive
Flash Fire
Evs-4Atk/252Spd/252SAtk
-HP Ice/Dragon Pulse
-Earth Power
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower
-Explosion
Sunny Day boosted Fire Blasts or Flamethrowers from this are going to hurt and if you grab a Flash Fire bost you can sometimes 2HKO Blissey with Fire Blast. Fire Blast is preferred for power but if the accuracy and PP is off-putting then use Flamethrower. Earth Power for Heatrans and others, Explosion to go out with a bang. HP Ice deals with Dragons but if this is going to be used on wi-fi than Dragon Pulse is an alternative, it does hit Kingdra and Latias harder.

OR

Heatran@Life Orb
Timid/Modest nature
Flash Fire
Evs-4HP/252Atk/252Spd
-Substitute/Dragon Pulse
-HP Grass
-Earth Power
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower
If you use paralysis support, this will be deadly, Substitute can be used for scouting or use Dragon Pulse to hit Dragons harder but most are 2HKOed by Fire Blast after SR with exception of Kingdra and Latias. HP Grass means bulky waters will be hit with a nasty surprise. Earth Power for Heatrans, etc. Fire Blast or Flamethrower depends on whether you want power or accuracy.

As for the last slot, I recommend this:

Cresselia@Leftovers
Bold nature
Levitate
Evs-252HP/252Def/4SAtk
-Thunder Wave/Charge Beam/Psychic
-Moonlight
-Sunny Day
-Ice Beam
Gives you another counter to Salamence who destroys your tream after a DD if Swampert is weakened enough or down. Thunder Wave slows down dangerous sweepers and works very well with helping LO Heatran sweep or just to incacipate opponents. You cAN USE Charge Beam though to stop Gyarados who looks like it could cause you some problems or possibly use Psychic to destroy Infernape although Thunder Wave cripples it anyway. Sunny Day means you have another pokemon to set up Sunny Day. Ice Beam takes care of Salamence, Flygon and others and also hits grounds coming in to take a Thunder Wave. Moonlight means it can stay alive longer.

If you put Stealth Rock on Azelf, you dont need it on Swampert so you could use Roar against to gain SR damage and shuffle around the opponents team as knowledge is everything with these type of teams so you dont set up too early with Charizard or know how many fire resists there are.

Lastly I think you should make Tangrowth the mixed sweeper with this set:

Tangrowth@Life Orb
Naive nature
Chlorophyll
Evs-200Atk/228Spd/80SAtk
-Ancientpower/Sleep Powder
-HP Fire
-Earthquake
-Power Whip
Means Bronzong, Celebi and Skarmory cant come into ruin your fun. HP Fire 2HKOs most Celebis while OHKOing Skarmory with SR down. Earthquake hits the fire types hard while Power Whip is its strongest attack. Ancientpower means Salamence, Moltres and others cant wall you but Sleep Powder can be useful.

Hope this helps and Good Luck with the team :)

A large problem I noticed is Stealth Rocks.
Unless you are trying to use the 50% to your advantage so after one sub you activate the Salac Berry, I suggest you put a Rapid Spinner on your team (Starmie, Forretress, Donphan, Claydol, and Tentacruel all work well). If the former is the case, I suggest you make sure that you do not have an HP stat that is divisible by 4.

joel22-

I like the idea of Azelf, he fits in better with the overall idea. But is there any reason for the 252 Attack Evs if I run it with; light screen, sunny day, stealth rock and taunt? I think I might run 252 HP evs and 4 Def since he isn't doing much attacking, just setting up. Not sure where to get a jolly one of these though, hm...

As for the next suggestions, I was trying to avoid Heatran since he's in virtually all sunny day teams but that Scarftran looks tastier the more I look at it haha I hadn't really thought about Salamence tbh, and looking it, its an obvious and glaring weakness if Swampert goes down. Hm I'm not sure whether to run Heatran and Cresselia or Cresselia and Snorlax (with some changes to be more offensive- a not so reliant on sunny day sweeper)

Either way Dragonite is gone for Cresselia as it makes more sense. Thanks for the suggestions.

MXIIA-

I was going to try and use it to my advantage a little tbh, but can you explain the HP stat divisable by 4 thing? I've not heard that before? Cheers.

EspyJoel

Espy <3
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
On MXIIA's point, you should use this spread:252Atk/4Def/252Spd and a 30HP IV.
EDIT:If you are using an Azelf without Explosion then it can be Jolly or Timid natured, if you really have trouble finding a good jolly or timid natured one then you could just use some nature like hasty or naive if you find one with very good IVs, its up to you how far you go, i'm guessing your using this for wi-fi by your comments.

This is an interesting team. I love that you used Charizard, I always felt that he should be used more. However, like MXIAA said, your team is very weak to Stealth Rock. Both Yanmega and Charizard get 50 percent of their hit points shaved off every time they switch in. Not pretty. Therefore, I would have to agree with the idea of getting a Rapid Spinner. Starmie, Forry, and Tenta wouldn't work, as this is a Sunny Day team, but Claydol or Donophan would work well. I would suggest Claydol over Donophan, however, because although they can both abuse Sunny day, Claydol's great support movepool and better defenses will help you more in the long run. The utility Claydol set, located in the Strategy Pokedex, could help this team, just replace one of the moves with Sunny Day. If you follow this, you will already have three pokemon with Sunny Day, and you won't need it on Charizard. You could replace it with Hp Ice or Dragon Pulse instead.

I hope I helped!

Ahh, so many of these suggestions are useful and make sense lol. I'll probably stick with Yanmega and Snorlax for now, and run a Claydol instead of Dragonite and see how that works for now. I also like the idea of a dragon move on Charizard.

Unless anybody else suggests something that makes more sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)