RU Beta: YanMagDra

For what is my 3rd RMT in recent times, the other's being a VGC team, and a Mega Absol based OU team, I am now here treading the waters of XY RU, inspired to by some of the teams I have already seen in the forums. One team in particular stood out to me, it involved a Yanmega utilising Endure and Weakness Policy, it was a genius idea that I just had to try myself, I have linked to that team in the analysis of my team.

The basic idea of this team is to allow Yanmega to destroy all that stands before it! To do that however it needs a little bit of support,mainly to remove any walls and Steel types that can oppose it's reign of tyranny. Using Magneton and Drapion to take out these things I accidently formed a pretty effective offensive core: YanMagDra! The rest of team is intended to support these three, a small VoltTurn core of Golbat and Magneton links the offensive and defensive sides of the team together nicely.

This team is in it's early stages so I am aware that a lot of aspects need some refining and some Pokemon replacing, however it has had some relative success in it's early days, peaking around the 1200 mark on the RU Beta ladder.

Anyway enough rambling on, onto the team itself:

Team Building Process:
This section will be completed shortly!!
In-depth Analysis
The Main Trio!

Yanmega @ Weakness Policy
Speed Boost
Modest Nature (+ Special Attack/- Attack)
4 Def/252 Sp.A/252 Spe
-Bug Buzz
-Air Slash
-Giga Drain
-Endure

Role on the Team:
Yanmega is this teams win condition, acting primarily as a late game sweeper, after any Steel types are out of the way, along with any Assault Vest wearers. It is also a switch in to a predicted Ground attack if there is opportunity for an early attempt at sweeping.

Description:
First thing to say here is that this is not my set, I saw it on this RMT http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ru-beta-shell-smash-yanmega-balanced-ru-team.3504414/
Onto the description of the set, this thing is an absolute beast!! As mentioned above I saw this set on another users RMT and just had to try it, and I was not disappointed. The set is fairly self explanatory, Endure is the key to the strategy paying off. On a predicted super effective attack use Endure, Weakness Policy will kick in giving an instant +2 in both attacking stats, only Special Attack being used here. Then Speed Boost gives it a +1 in speed setting it up perfectly for a sweep. Bug Buzz and Air Slash act as the main attacks, both gaining STAB and hitting an array of types for Super Effective damage (Dark, Grass, Psychic, Bug, Fighting among them) Air Slash also has the chance to Flinch if it doesn't secure an OHKO. Giga Drain supplies recovery, and hits Water, Ground and Rock types for a lot of damage. The key to success here is to remove any Steel types able to wall the set, along with any Assault Vest user's and very bulky walls.

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Magnet Pull
Timid (+Speed/-Attack) or Modest (+Special Attack/-Attack)
4 HP/252 Sp.A/252 Spe
-Thunderbolt
-Flash Cannon
-Hidden Power Fire
-Volt Switch
Role on the Team:
Magneton has a few roles on the team, it's main function is to trap and KO/weaken any Steel types on the opposing team. In addition it is the teams Revenge Killer and momentum grabber.

Description:
Magneton was selected as part of an offensive core with Yanmega, due to it's ability to cover most of it's weaknesses, barring Fire. It also traps the Steel types that would otherwise wall Yanmega, halting any potential sweep. The main aspect of the set based on its ability Magnet Pull, through this and Hidden Power Fire, or Thunderbolt, to take out the aforementioned Steels, Flash Cannon is an alternative STAB useful for hitting Fairies along side any Rock or Ice types. Volt Switch is for scouting purposes and to keep momentum with this team. The EVs are as standard, maximum Speed and Special Attack with the leftover in HP. One area I am unsure of here is the nature, I am unsure if there is anything important I fail to outrun run if I opt for Modest, so any help here will be most appreciated.

Drapion @ Assault Vest
Battle Armour
Adamant Nature (+Attack/-Special Attack)
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Sp.D
-Knock Off
-Pursuit
-Poison Jab
-Earthquake

Role on the Team:
Drapion is the main Physical threat, acting as a cleaner of sorts, it also offers utility through Knock off and Pursuit trapping. Also it is a pseudo Special Wall through Assault Vest.
Description:
Drapion is the 3rd member of the Yanmega centred core, removing the threats that Magneton can't handle, such as Assault Vest users, and bulky Psychic types. The moveset is aimed at supporting the team as a whole, Knock Off being the most useful, removing items off of opposing Pokemon, and hitting for ncreased damage too, which off of Adamant and max Atk EVs leaves dents in many Pokemon. Pursuit is another STAB which is used to trap Pokemon. Poison Jab is to hit Fairies, while Earthquake rounds off the set with good coverage and a way to hit Steels for high damage. Assault Vest allows Drapion to have good overall bulk, and the EVs maintain that bulk with maximum damage output.

The Supporting Cast:

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Aroma Veil
Calm Nature (+Special Defence/-Attack)
252 HP/4 Sp.A/252 Sp.D
-Moonblast
-Wish
-Protect
-Aromatherapy

Role on the Team:
Aromatisse is the teams Special wall, also supporting with Wish support and being the cleric through Aromatherapy

Description:
Another straight forward set, Aromatisse is the teams main switch into Specially based moves, with max HP and Special Defence allowing it to tank said hits. It has semi reliable recovery through Wish and Protect, which can also aid teammates. Aromatherapy removes status from the team, and Moonblast is its attacking outlet, hitting fairly powerful with minimal investment. Its ability helps the set function, as it blocks Aromatisse from Taunt, which would otherwise shut it down.

Druddigon @ Leftovers
Rough Skin
Impish Nature (+Defense/-Special Attack)
252 HP/4 Atk/252 Def
-Dragon Tail
-Earthquake
-Toxic
-Stealth Rock

Role on the Team:
Druddigon is the Physical wall on the team. It also set's rocks for hazard support, and is the only Pokemon who spreads any status through Toxic. Also is the teams answer to set up Pokemon, phazing them through Dragon Tail.

Description:
Druddigon acts as one of the safest switches this team can make, being one of the bulkier Pokemon on the team. Its main job is to get rocks out early, provided I can ensure that no Defog or Rapid Spin users can remove them. Also it is my switch in to Physical attacks, with Rough Skin removing 12% HP on each contact, this along side Toxic can wear Physical Attackers down very quickly, Toxic is also used against opposing walls to make them easier to remove later in game. Dragon Tail is for shuffling purposes, and has STAB, while Earthquake hits Steels super effectively, and is also my go to attack on a predicted Fairy switch in.

Golbat @ Eviolite
Infiltrator
Jolly Nature (+Speed/-Special Attack)
248 HP/8 Def/252 Spe
-Super Fang
-U-Turn
-Taunt
-Defog

Role on the Team:
Team support, removing Hazards, Screens etc with Defog, preventing set up with Taunt and breaking walls with Super Fang

Description:
Thanks to Eviolite Golbat becomes fairly bulky, allowing it to be a key supporting member of the team. While not the most powerful Pokemon, Super Fang gives it opportunity to inflict big damage to most switch ins. U-Turn acts as a scouting move, forming a mini VoltTurn core with Magneton. Taunt was chosen to prevent any attempts to set up, especially any hazards after I have removed them with Defog. The EVs give Golbat good overall bulk, 248 HP allows it to switch into rocks 4 times safely, the max speed allows me to Defog and Taunt as soon as possible, the leftover 8 went into defence to take a Physical hit a little better.

Last edited:
I should try the Yanmega set sometime.
Running 4 Speed EVs on Aromatisse over another stat may be helpful for speed-creeping (or more if you wish).

I also would question why you are using Golbat over Skuntank if you are not running Roost, but with Drapion, unless you cut it out, you really want Roost as otherwise Golbat dies off too quickly. If you want Skuntank, you could try substituting Golbat and Drapion for

Skuntank (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
Nature: Adamant/Impish
-Knock Off
-Defog
-Poison Jab
-Taunt

This pretty effectively fulfills both Drapion and Golbat's roles, Defogging, removing items, and trapping Psychic types. Aromatisse provides Wish Support for Skuntank (you could move some HP EVs to Defense to increase Skuntank's physical bulkiness and allow it to benefit more from Wish).

Now that you have a free slot, here is a toy you could use to help with both Steel and Fairy types (some Fairy types can live and retaliate a +2 Yanmega).

Torterra (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SpD
Nature: Adamant
-Wood Hammer
-Earthquake
-Iron Head
-Stone Edge

I choose this set because it complements your defensive core well synergistically, and it handles Ground-types very well for Magneton (especially Gastrodon). It gives you additional insurance against Steel-types in case Magneton goes down or can't switch in safely (i.e. Steelix). I like Iron Head because it hits Fairy-types on their typically weaker physical defense stat and hits them HARD. Wood Hammer kills everything (OHKOs Aromatisse like it's Smeargle). Finally, Stone Edge is good to hit Kyurem on a Wood Hammer switch-in, as well as Flying-types that resist Torterra's dual STABs.

Should you go with these suggestions, definitely give Magneton a Timid nature since this team becomes a bit more Bulky Offense-oriented.

I will take these suggestions into account, first question, how powerful is Skuntank in comparison to Drapion? Also would a different item work effectively on that Torterra, eg Assault Vest, as I'm not a fan of 2 choice items on a team?

Thank you very much for your rate :)

Last edited:
I Am Doz- I will need to run a calc to compare Drapion's power output to that of Skuntank, but I think Drapion's attacks have slightly more oomph (that being said, if you are battling Psychic-types, Skuntank can still trap them effectively since most of the common Psychic-types are weak to Dark-type and they have low physical defense stats).

For Torterra: I just like Choice Band to wall break. If you still want offense, then I'd recommend giving Torterra an Assault Vest or Life Orb. Alternatively, you could give Torterra a physically defensive set:

Torterra (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Def
Nature: Impish
-Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Earthquake
-Synthesis

This allows Torterra to function as a physical wall (plus its typing gives it weaknesses that are mostly found in the form of special moves). If you do this, then switch Druddigon to an Assault Vest set to synergize with Torterra better (you don't need rocks on it anymore then):

Druddigon (M) @ Assault Vest
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SpD
Nature: Careful
-Dragon Tail
-Earthquake
-Sucker Punch/Dragon Claw
-Fire Punch/Dragon Claw

Your first 2 moves are taken from your original set. Sucker Punch gives your team priority since Skuntank doesn't have it, while Fire Punch does a heavy number to Escavalier (and Ferroseed). Dragon Claw can take up either slot if you want a reliable STAB.

That being said, if you use physically defensive Torterra, consider using this instead of Druddigon:

Throh (M) @ Assault Vest
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SpD
Nature: Careful
-Circle Throw
-Knock Off
-Ice Punch
-Stone Edge

Throh has great special bulk which is utilized very well here, with a phasing move, Knock Off, and two solid coverage moves. It also handles purely special Kyurem well (though if handling Kyurem is more of a concern than phasing, run Thick Fat Hariyama with Circle Throw-->Cross Chop).

I was actually going to say Stunktank :D My favorite set is this.
Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Atk
Nature: Impish
-Knock Off
-Defog
-Poison Jab
-Taunt

According to Pokemon Showdown Knock Off isn't a legal move for Skuntank, so I cannot run the set with the move, which is disappointing as Knock Off support is key to the team

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)