RU CCAT (STEP 4 - PLAYTESTING)

I think I prefer a specially based CM set on Entei to Moltres (although, either makes an acceptable partner) for a few reasons. 1) Since most Entei are physical people will often switch in an inappropriate check to Entei expecting to take a Flare Blitz or an Extremespeed. 2) Entei is faster.

A fighting type would also be pretty handy. I like the idea of scarf-Medicham because it can be a nice plan to have a scarf attacker to outspeed something threatening you in a pinch. Scarf Primeape would fill the same role but gives up a little power in return for more speed however it gets U-turn which is invaluable for switch initiative and is overall probably more useful to have than Trick.
If a Bulky Fighting type is used over a scarfed one Hariyama is better than Gallade (imo) because of Guts (I would make it a status absorber not a Flame orb, again: just me).

And I remember someone else mention Wish Passing Clefable. I would love to have Clef over the proposed fighting type. Cleric Clefable would essentially give our sweepers a chance to start over and that seems wonderful.

tl;dr
CM Entei + WishPass Clefable

Ok I've waited too long for suggestions and I'm now officially closing this. The final two members of the team will be Sub + CM Entei and Sub + BU Gallade (I know there were other good suggestions but these two can deal with the other Pokemon that wall Rhydon as well as sweep if Rhydon fails). Therefore the team is this:

Rhydon (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Qwilfish (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Taunt
- Waterfall

Claydol @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Rotom @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball

Gallade (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Steadfast
EVs: 240 HP / 224 SDef / 44 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Shadow Sneak

Entei @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 136 HP / 120 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Ok guys now we only have to play with this team, and if it's good enough, we'll write a RMT!

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I played a couple matches with the team tonight. It smashed Oglemi's weaksauce QC test teams, but that's not really saying much (lol Shell Smash Magcargo). Ironically, I feel like this team would be much better if we just got rid of Rhydon and maybe added a Choice Scarf Pokemon...swap Rhydon out for Scarf Krookodile and you have a pretty solid team. As it is, Rotom and Scarf Glaceon seem like they would give the team a lot of trouble. But I'll play with it some more before writing Rhydon off completely, and maybe it will surprise me.

Yes, i realize too that Rhydon have very few chances to sweeps, the rest of the team can win without him and sometimes they wished someone else to help them.

Maybe Krook suggested by Honko above will be a better option in that place :/ (or someone else in any case could do a better job then rhydon)

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Yeah I remember talking to Honko about this on irc, but the team is kinda slow and it's incredibly Rotom weak and that solves that for sure. Also, Adamant Rhydon cost me a lot as I laddered and started seeing Sceptiles outta nowhere, (which iirc outsped +2 Rhydon and proceeded to Giga Drain). Krookodile's really great on spikestack offense because... duh Moxie cleaners love prior damage on bulky things. Basically, a LOT of teams had at least one of Tangrowth (bulky offense / regen core stall), Claydol ('premier spinner' tho imho he's weaksauce), Scarfmons (Hail, Most good offense), or Mach Punch (Fighting-type spam teams or offense w/o scarfers) which does a surprising amount because we didn't invest in bulk. Yes, we have things that can deal with Tangrowth, Claydol, and (somewhat) Gligar. No, we don't have things that can freely & repeatedly switch into Choice Scarf Blizzard from faster scarfers or something like that. Most of the time, all I ended up doing with Rhydon was double switching it in and out--with a confidence that if he didn't have a Honchkrow or Swellow I won't lose much even if I get predicted. I don't think it's still a conclusive evidence, though, but I've swept only 3 times with Rhydon. And that was only because some idiots let their choice scarf swellow spam an unboosted facade against rhydon as I go +4 +4.

Swap Claydol with Honchkrow, fix some sets (minor changes, like Lava Plume > Flamethrower, for example) and EVs and you have my team.

rhydon is awful and seems to do nothing for the team. Gonna try out CB, but i think scarfed Krookodile would be a great replacement. Also helps against rotom, who murders the team

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
I haven't really been what I'd call active on this project, but I decided to make some changes on the team. I've been testing it on the ladder and so far it's doing fine. I didn't remove Rhydon though, because I feel it's necessary to have it on the team, or part of this team's idea will get lost. However, to fit Rhydon on the team, I had to make some major changes to the team's general goal. Without further ado, there is it:

(Rhydon) (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Toxic

(Qwilfish) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Waterfall
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze

(Rotom) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

(Cryogonal) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SDef / 252 Spd
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Toxic

(Gallade) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Steadfast
EVs: 240 HP / 224 SDef / 44 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Substitute
- Shadow Sneak

(Entei) @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 136 HP / 120 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Substitute
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Since we were weak to Blizzard Spam, or even stuff like Choice Scarf Glaceon, I decided to use Cryogonal as a Rapid Spinner instead of Claydol. That change forced me to change Rhydon's set to something more defensively oriented, so I wouldn't lose Stealth Rock. Last, but not least, I changed Rotom's set to a Choice Scarf one, to solve the weakness to fast Pokemon. The team's "new" goal is to set up a sweep with either Gallade or Entei.

I've found it pretty ironic that as I've been testing the team (as I'm sure other people are noticing) that offensive Rhydon is the weak link. So far, Gallade has been the real saving grace of the team.

Rotom is indeed pesky, (Rotom-C has been the most obnoxious offender thus far)

Another thing that has been less than fun for this team is Dugtrio
Gallade can handle it but he doesn't love switching into STAB earthquakes.

Blizzspam is obnoxious and faster special sweepers are also pretty abnoxious (p-z and moltres for two).

As Pearl mentioned, it seems wrong to pull Rhydon out but he just isn't pulling his weight offensively.

Since we already have BU Gallade I'm sure we could switch it to a BU Gallade team if we really felt it was necessary... Such a change wouldn't affect Rhydon too much, Rhydon would just need to be changed to defensive like Pearl suggested. Gallade + Rhydon work really well together and is still one of the best combos in the tier imo.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Although it slows down the team quite a bit, I still feel that Munchlax would've provided this team with the much needed special bulk and paralysis + shuffling support to enhance Rhydon's sweep. Rhydon is terrifying to face if you're paralyzed.

Since we already have BU Gallade I'm sure we could switch it to a BU Gallade team if we really felt it was necessary... Such a change wouldn't affect Rhydon too much, Rhydon would just need to be changed to defensive like Pearl suggested. Gallade + Rhydon work really well together and is still one of the best combos in the tier imo.
BU Gallade is a really awesome poke in this tier and i'm with the quote suggestion.

And i want to suggest the change of the qwilfish set:

-Waterfall
-Poison Jab
-Haze
-Spikes

We don't need a t-spike support for this team and poison jab & Haze are really useful.
Poison Jab can cripple grass mon predictiin a switch or a setup move and haze definitely destroy opponent's BU Gallade and others physical setupper that don't have SE Attack.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
BU Gallade is a really awesome poke in this tier and i'm with the quote suggestion.

And i want to suggest the change of the qwilfish set:

-Waterfall
-Poison Jab
-Haze
-Spikes

We don't need a t-spike support for this team and poison jab & Haze are really useful.
Poison Jab can cripple grass mon predictiin a switch or a setup move and haze definitely destroy opponent's BU Gallade and others physical setupper that don't have SE Attack.
Toxic Spikes are helpful, since they allow both Gallade and Entei to stall stuff with Substitute. Combine that with Toxic Rhydon/Toxic Cryogonal and you have a nice way of muscling your way past bulkier teams that lack a Pokemon with Heal Bell/Aromatherapy. If you're not talking about my version of the team, then ignore the second part of the post.

I was talking about the main team, yeah T-spikes deserves a slash with Poison Jab, personally i can't set both spikes and t-spikes with qw, so i opted with a second STAB and it works good. Yeah, i think later when i'm logged out about the sub-stall and i used it too when i was setting t-spikes with Scolipede another good mon to think about

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)