Project RU Player of the Week #2: MrAldo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Spirit

Based on Other Player of the Weeks threads

banner by Lax

MrAldo

Hi guys, welcome to the second week of RU Player of the Week. This week we have MrAldo, a player with a lot of experience and skill in the RU metagame, moderates the RU room on PS!, and has plays in tournaments such as RUPL! Ok, let's hop into the interview!
To start off this interview can you tell us your favourite pokemon in the tier?

I can divide my favorite pokemon in 2 ways: The mon I like using the most and the mon I love on design. Virizion is easily my favorite mon to use, reliable setup sweeper from either the special of physical side and just really good at what it does. My favorite on design is definitely aggron but is sadly really eclipsed by tyrantrum, and that is rather sad to me tbh.

How did you first get into RU?

My first interaction with RU was during the XY days when yanmega and zoroark were suspect tested. My involvement with the forums and the chatroom wasnt that serious. The time I decided to main the tier was when scrafty and flygon dropped in a tier shift and been loving the experience since then cause the tier just changed that much
to the point I was intrigued of what would happen and here we are.

What in your opinion is the best mon in the A+ rankings right now? (Meloetta, Venusaur, Diancie, Alomomola, Sigilyph, Flygon)

For me the best mon in A+ right now is easily meloetta. This mon is crazy, many teams are just forced to play around an specs set and if they dont have a spiritomb it will always be a problematic mon to face. Specs, colbur berry calm mind, sub calm mind; all scary sets to face. Next would be venusaur, flygon, diancie, sigilyph and alomomola. In that order in my opinion

What play style do you find yourself going back to and is overall your favourite in the tier?

As much as offense gets completely boned by tyrantrum, I like building offense! But on a more practical sense, I consistently like using bulky offense and balance the most. Not really a fan of passive teams cause trying to "wall" everything just doesnt get you far. Having a good defensive cushion plus some good offensive presence on the team is really nice in my opinion, even more passive builds should be much more active these days.

Do you think Mega Steelix is too much of an over centralizing presence in the tier?

To answer that question I gotta be clear with this. Mega steelix is indeed centralizing but one should ask himself if it is good or bad centralization. IMO, it is good centralization since the metagame isnt build around it like on ubers with primal groudon that makes certain mons unviable by just existing. In fact, many of the pokemon mega steelix nullify have adapted to its presence by running a diverse amount of sets and tricks to retain their niches. Mons like granbull, escavalier, diancie, garbodor, drapion among others still have really valuable niches outside of mega steelix annoying them. Is simply not possible to make everything as viable as one would like. Plus, mega steelix keep at bay. many important mons, not being as exploitable like other steel rock setters like bronzong and registeel. Tyrantrum, mega glalie and sneasel are handled much better by it, but still bronzong and registeel still retain their solid niches, the only rocker isnt mega steelix. In the end, there is no actual problem in my eyes with mega steelix, the thing would be trying to answer a question: Is the metagame better or more fun without mega steelix? And that question cant be solved with a suspect test or something of that kind.

What rank do you think Honchkrow will be if it drops, and do you think it will be too overpowered for the tier?

Trying to predict a rank for a recent drop can be tough but imo, honchkrow can easily best an A+ threat at the very least. Is like an absol with better overall bulk, 2 ridiculous STABs in dark and flying and moxie to become a really scary "snowball" that can get really hard to stop once it gets going.I feel it could be way too much for the tier to handle since it has ways of getting past its traditional checks and counters either through steel wing or a nasty plot/mixed set.but we will see, that would be really interesting

Anything you find underrated in RU that you have been using a lot lately?

Jellicent is underrated. The amount of teams it can annoy is incredible and being a really reliable spin blocker against blastoise and taunt is great to stop defogging. It even can take on every blastoise variant, and lure dark types with colbur berry. great mon honestly.

What period of the RU meta that you have witnessed so far do you think was the most balanced?

RU always had the issue with having a perfectly balanced metagame, opinions aside, but overall I feel the metagame after venomoth ban prior the january/february drops was really enjoyable and balanced. Obvious stuff like durant stands out but the most balanced overall imo.

What other mons besides virizion and malamar do you think benefited the most from Durant's ban?

Mons like delphox get progressively better, this mon is a monster honestly. Stuff like tyrantrum becomes even more busted, medicham becomes the preferred scarfer for offense. Mega glalie and sneasel are huge ones since durant was easily one of the most splashable ice resists.

Finally, can you give a team to end the interview, and explain briefly how it works?

Pretty straightforward spike stacking build consisting on sceptile + malamar is order to abuse it. HP Flying sceptile is great to hit virizion. Malamar is the team main win condition and spikes serve to pressure its checks. Garbodor + Steelix are the hazard stacking core of choice cause garbodor is good against viri, tang and venu and mega steelix is mega steelix. Jellicent being an amazing spinblocker and hitmonlee for revenge killing and emergency hazard control.

Sceptile @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Leaf Storm

Malamar @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 104 SpD / 152 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
- Superpower

Garbodor @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Pain Split
- Toxic
- Gunk Shot

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 232 HP / 96 Atk / 4 SpD / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam

Jellicent @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Scald
- Recover

Hitmonlee @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- High Jump Kick
- Close Combat

Thanks again to MrAldo for taking the time to do this interview, and please leave any questions you have for MrAldo below as well as suggestions for who you want me to interview next! :toast:

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
what mon do u want from uu in ru?
whats ur favorite spanish song aside suavemente?
- I actually really want donphan in RU but that isnt happening :(
- A lot actually. Gonna list some of them in a "Artist - Name of song" format: Juanes - A Dios le Pido, Vico C feat Gilberto Santa Rosa - Lo Grande que es perdonar, Daddy Yankee - Grito Mundial, Los Prisioneros - Tren al sur; among others. Dont have a real favorite song per say, I just like different songs :)

Opinions on sticky web
- Matchup reliant, flygon and blastoise are heavily annoying but it has the tools to pressure them and it is Hyper Offense, sacrifice defensive synergy for the goal to overwhelm the opponent. Not using exploud on sticky web is a missed opportunity honestly, but I like it overall. Pressuring flygon is mandatory, have an ice move or something. Leavanny is actually an interesting alternative to smeargle :o It is fun :)

What would you like to drop from UU, not counting anything that has been banned from RU?
- id like many mons from UU to drop but alas, UU people taking our stuff, I WANT WHIMSICOTT D: for real tho, Id love to have whimsicott back but that isnt happening this gen. On more possible drops, mandibuzz would be nice cause we are lacking on defensive psychic checks.

How long will it be until you finally use a gif as an avatar?
- Sooner than you think. Is just a matter of finding that gif

When are you going to confirm that maldo7 is in fact your alt?
- NEVER. Isnt an alt of mine, I swear D:

thoughts on mienfoo in RU?
- Excellent choice of a mon for a meme team in RU. Funnily enough, It can pass a sub and swords dance boost against stuff like mola so it can work!

What Pokemon do you feel is overrated in RU?
- Id say one of the few mons that I think is really overrated is sawk. One cant deny it hits hard and that having basically a focus sash all the time thanks to sturdy is amazing but the moment it gets any sort of chip damage it loses its main niche. Being so support needy is just unappealing to me, it pairs well with mons like blastoise and flygon but being forced to keep that sturdy all the time against many matchups is just annoying. I guess the extra 5 on speed is nice and the coverage is sweet but Banded/swords dance gallade and Life Orb medicham are good sets and hitmonlee still exists :V

are you the legendary MrBaldoPls
- Sadly that alt has been stolen from me (no I am not)

Cheers!

lighthouses

Inordinary
is a Tiering Contributor
What are the chances that we ever get to see monthly beard updates from you(in the form of selfies)

Which state of ru is your favorite?(mine is yanmega zoro meta)

Objectively, what are the odds of Morgan Freeman having passed his voice onto you in some kind of ritual?

Any unraked mons you think are usable?

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Oh dear

Zzz these questions are booty. Let's ask Aldo the tough questions.

• How do you feel knowing that when I use your teams I become the greatest RU battler alive?
  • Do you believe we should call the Ghostbusters for OST?
  • Why Is Alomomola absolutely unbearable in RU?
  • Have you ever met MrBaldoPls? I heard he's a swell guy.
  • Who's the Gary in the relationship, you or Arifeen?
  • Speaking of Arifeen why does he set up rocks on my Mega Diancie with his Mega Steelix 3 times in a row while I HP fire him?
  • When are you going to be tier leader of RBY RU? That seems like it would make a great tier and I can help you co-lead the playerbase of 4 people.
  • Does a nest of toucans live inside your beard?
- It makes me feel very happy knowing my teams work :D
- Call the Ghostbusters, the church and everything that can stop the paranormal shit, the ghosts are out of control.
- Because it never dies. For real tho, thankfully every grass type is really good cause it is really annoying, we just decided to deal with it, me included :V
- Had the pleasure of meeting him once, was something else. Quite the personality!
- Obviously Arifeen, he is the one being the tryhard trying to do everything, joining every tourney even tho scheduling is a nightmare, tutoring, team rating... damn, all to reach glory or something like that while Im just here chilling having some good ole competitive fun.
- Told you man, the tryhard plays are just too much. You could still not have steel resists and he would still do that.
- Damn, sounds like a plan. That could be a tier where primeaple and articuno could be viable.
- I wish I could grow a beard of that caliber :V

What are the chances that we ever get to see monthly beard updates from you(in the form of selfies)

Which state of ru is your favorite?(mine is yanmega zoro meta)

Objectively, what are the odds of Morgan Freeman having passed his voice onto you in some kind of ritual?

Any unraked mons you think are usable?
- Unlikely, my beard doesnt grow much more than that D:
- One of my favorite states was just after venomoth got banned, it was a pretty fun state of the metagame. The metagame after zoroark and yanmega got banned was pretty nice as well, there was even the discovery of kricketune during one stage of XY RU! Hard to call a favorite. Fuck moltres tho.
- Objectively, unlikely, my voice having a similar tone to him is just one of the beautiful coincidences in the world :)
- Im not even sure what is ranked and what is not, lol. *Check viability rankings* I feel lilligant has some interesting potential, access to healing wish is neat and quiver dance is one of the scariest setup moves in the game. Golurk as well virtue of the really unique typing + stealth rock and spin blocker on the same slot (no, no dynamicpunch hax -_-). Wait, dont get me wrong, it will most likely run dynamicpunch but isnt just because of dynamicpunch, lol.

Thoughts on vileplume and its current place in the omega ruby alpha sapphire rarely used metagame?
- Viable/10. For real tho, even with so many grass poisons around, having access to moonblast is somewhat nice making vileplume a much more reliable fighting type check than every other grass/poison without the need of running an specialized set like clear smog amoonguss for example. Hard to justify tho.

Opinions on how busted virizion is,,,,and opinion on memes; don't be shy!
- My serious response: Can be a major pain for balance ngl, but there is plethora of counterplay to it and in reality it needs to be at +something (1, 2, you name it) to be threaten and it has viable checks to both sides (special and physical)
Meme response: You need more granbull in your life and stop making such slow balance!

Thoughts on Swanna oo
- Swanna is gorgeous :)

Cheers!

MrAldo

Hey
Why are you so good at Monopoly?
To what extent do you agree that Chansey is the best Pokemon ever?
Where can I get a great sombrero?
- Guess it is an art. Real talk, Ive gotten demolished by other players irl so I guess a learned a couple of tricks the hard way :V
- I agree 0.0000000001%, so I dont agree :(
- Im not mexican so I wouldnt know. I can help you get a Panama Hat tho :D

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)