RU Teambuilding Face-Off! (see post #13)

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Like the counter that Pokemon thread, only in reverse.

I feel that this is a really good exercise since I've always found teambuilding more difficult than finding a counter to a threat, plus we seem to be lacking in this area in C&C atm.

The goal of this thread is to find a good teammate for the Pokemon in the post above you, whether it be through covering their weaknesses, breaking through the other's counters in order to open up a sweep, or anything else that constitutes a good teammate.

Please provide a good explanation as to why you chose that teammate.

YOU SHOULD RESERVE YOUR POSTS FOR 15-30 MINS, ONLY. NO MORE THAN THAT.

I'll get us started:

Scyther @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Ability: Technician
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
- Swords Dance
- Aerial Ace
- Roost
- Baton Pass

A good teammate for Bulky Swords Dance + Baton Pass Scyther would be Rhydon:

Rhydon @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Megahorn

Rhydon has amazing defensive and offensive synergy with Scyther. They cover each other's weaknesses almost perfectly (Scyther resists Grass-, Ground-, and Fighting-type attacks and doesn't mind Steel- and Water-type attacks, while Rhydon resists Rock-, Electric-, Fire-, and Flying-type attacks, leaving only their Ice weakness left open). On top of that, Scyther can easily Baton Pass a Swords Dance boost to Rhydon, giving him extreme power, which is even better when Rhydon forces out the enemy and has time to set up Rock Polish. From there you have a +2/+2 Rhydon ready to sweep the team with its awesome coverage.

Now you need to find a good teammate to RP Rhydon!

Awesome idea as a lot of people have trouble building teams with synergy!

So with Rock Polish Rhydon I think this guy is great:

Ludicolo (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Toxic
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Scald

Covers Rhydon's ground, water, grass and ice weaknesses. Also good for Toxic'in those Bulky waters who like to switch into Rhydon. Leech Seed + Substitue for stalling and Scald for STAB+burns.

This also can give essential life from seed to other partners or burn with scald to make a physical threat not so dangerous.

Steelix @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature | 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def | 0 Spe IV
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball
- Stone Edge / Toxic / Roar

Steelix is a fantastic partner for Ludicolo, resisting all of its weaknesses while Ludicolo absorbs any Water- and Ground-type attack, and takes Fire-type moves well thanks to its good Special Defense.

Steelix also has Stealth Rock which allows Ludicolo to abuse its forcing switches ability. Steelix can opt to use Roar to shuffle around the opponent's team as well!

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Slowking @ Leftovers
Calm Nature 248 Hp 144 def 116 Spdef
Scald
Slack Off
Dragon Tail
Fire Blast

takes fire, fighting and water attacks for steelix, has good defensive synergy being a special wall while steelix is a physical one, spreads status around, and uses Dragon tail to abuse hazards

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus

Lanturn@Leftovers
Calm Nature|Volt Absorb
52 HP / 252 Def / 204 SpD
Scald
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Heal Bell/Thunder Wave

Resists Flying, Fire, and Ice while absorbing Electric. Scyther repays the favor by being Immune to Ground and being 4x Resists Grass

This also has great defensive synergy, as it can spread ThunderWaves/heal scyther from status, as well as being able to take hits on both sides of the spectrum

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
^You're supposed to do the post above you ^.^

OK so I had a brainstorm with the people of #rarelyused and I decided to do something that could either be really cool or really dumb.

Here's how it's going to work. Basically, the thread will work exactly as outlined in the OP, except we're going to add some steps. Instead of only partnering with the Pokemon in the post above you, you have to pair up the Pokemon with the others in the post above that as well, up to 5 posts. So, if I were to start off, I would start with a random Pokemon, and then the next post would come up with a Pokemon to pair with that one. The next post then has to come up with a Pokemon that would be a good teammate to the two Pokemon above it, and so on until there is a team of 6. After that we repeat the process until we have two teams.

Once we have two teams, we then copy the Battle of the Week format where we have a nomination poll and a final poll of the players that you want to see battle it out with the two teams that we create in this thread.

Please don't post two reservation posts in a row, this is first come first serve. Once we have one team completed I will post the next starting Pokemon to work off of.

Essentially we are now starting from scratch. The next post should try to come up with a partner to this Pokemon:

Eelektross @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Grass Knot
- Volt Switch

EDIT: In case it wasn't clear, you should post a reservation post, but not for more than 20 minutes (it really should only take you 10 minutes at the very most), and then you should still post reasoning behind your choice. Discussion will take place after the two teams are chosen, about what people think will work and what won't, and then discussion after the battle takes place.

EDIT 2: If someone ninja's you, you have dibs on making the next teammate.

Reservation post.

Edit: Done.

Gallade @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 224 SpD / 44 Spe
Nature: Careful (+SpD, -SpA)
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Night Slash
- Substitute

Gallade can beat all of Eelektross's counters other than Gligar. Cresselia, Uxie, Clefable, Lanturn, Cryogonal all get set up on/killed by Gallade. Eelektross helps Gallade by luring these counters and when they switch-in, Volt-switching to Gallade allowing Gallade to set up. It also kills some of Gallade's counters; Qwilfish, Cofagrigus, and Moltres (don't switch in) get killed by Eelektross. Not only that, it also resists Gallade's flying weakness.

Reserve

Magmortar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
-Flamethrower
-Thunderbolt
-Focus Blast
-HP Ice

Although not a completely conventional choice, Magmortar has good offensive synergy with Eelektross, and has his ground and Rock weaknessess are covered by the other two pokes. His water problems can also be covered by Eelektross easily.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Lol Oglemi... This is hard... But whatever.

Lanturn @ Leftovers
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Def / 204 SpD
Nature: Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Volt Switch
-Heal Bell

Lanturn has only 2 weaknesses, namely, Ground and Grass. Thus, it can attract attacks for its teammates to switch in. Eelektross can come in on Ground-type attacks for free thanks to Levitate, while Magmortar can sponge Grass-type attacks. They both in turn can help Lanturn get rid of pesky Grass-types. Sure, this piles up the Ground weakness but that only means more opportunities for Eelektross to switch in. It also takes the Flying-type attacks aimed at Gallade. Random burns from Scald can also make it easier for Gallade to set up. And Heal Bell support is always nice for a set up Pokemon, even though Gallade has Substitute.

ps Oglemi, this is my first post in dst so you better appreciate it xD

edit: @below: no idea how UU's work >.> But let's just wait and see what happens :x anyway, added Volt Switch. Thanks CA!

i suggest volt switch on lanturn instead of thunderbolt. This team would like the momentum. Vital spirit should be the ability on magmortar imo. Don't hate me for my suggestion.

Tangrowth @ Life Orb
Regenerator / Modest
60 HP , 252 SpA, 196 Spe
- Sleep Powder
- Leaf Storm
- Focus Blast
- HP Rock

Forms a great defensive combo with lanturn, taking physical attack like a pro, even without bulky evs. Also just lols at Ground types, and appreciates heal bell. Resists lanturns weaknesses, and vice versa. Strategy is to sleep a counter, and then spam a really strong leaf storm on the switch. Enough speed for uninvested claydol

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
if you guys really want this to work you're going to need to follow the format set forth by uu's "counter that pokemon!". as of right now, you're gonna build an entire team then leave team 2 open to direct countering of team 1 and there's really no way around it because players will automatically suggests sets that do well against team 1. cool idea, but like i said i think the format needs to be reworked.

Oglemi

Borf
if you guys really want this to work you're going to need to follow the format set forth by uu's "counter that pokemon!". as of right now, you're gonna build an entire team then leave team 2 open to direct countering of team 1 and there's really no way around it because players will automatically suggests sets that do well against team 1. cool idea, but like i said i think the format needs to be reworked.
This actually occurred to me last night, so I'd like to here some suggestions to remedy the problem.

Some things that I came up with are: We can pit the team that's created against an RU RMT in the RMT forum and then choose battlers to duke it out. This would be interesting to me because most teams that are posted are tried and true, but is it the battler or the team itself that's good and was able to get it high on the ladder?

Another idea was we nominate a player, and they then have only 20 minutes to create a team to fight against the one that was created, kinda like the teambats.

Or, which I think I like this idea the best, after we create the team we have a discussion about which Pokemon we think would give this team the most problems, and then we disallow those Pokemon from being used in the next team (kinda like what they do in CAP when determining movepools). So if we think this team were to have problems with Cresselia or Sigilyph, then we'd disallow them from being chosen on the next team.

I'm open to suggestions, so let me know what you think!

So is this going to be something like a forum teambat? Since I haven't really seen many RU teambats... NU seems to be doing quite a few though.

I personally like the format of the UU teambuilding thing where they choose one Pokemon for one team, and then another Pokemon for the other, and then we can nominate to players to face off with the teams. That seems to be the most efficient way of doing something like this, otherwise it just becomes super messy and disorganized. Also the CCAT thing was terrible, so let's not do that again xD

Here's an idea:

First, we'll have a few players from #rarelyused submit their own teams to someone who will keep them private. Then, we do what Oglemi said in post #6, except we make 1 team instead of 2. Once it's finished, we can choose a team at random from the submitted teams, and have 2 battlers play, one using a submitted team, and the other using the team made in this thread.

If that's a bad idea, I like the third idea from post #13 :D

What about instead of posting exact EV's and Sets instead, each poster posts a Pokemon with the heading: Offensive/Defensive/Balance and instead of trying to compliment the set you try to compliment the Pokemon and type it is. This way even after team 1 is built team 2 has no idea what sets team 1 has.

EDIT: Just thought of this as well
Or you could do a format where its like draft picking, using a 2:3:3:2:1:1 format EX using pokes in the thread already:

Team 1 is started by Oglemi who puts up Rock Polish Rhydon, followed by Zoap who recommends SpD Ludicolo
Team 2 is started by Omicron who puts up Lead/Defensive Steelix, followed by MoltenKyurem Mixed Defensive Slowking, followed by Troll Freak's Mixed Defensive Laturn
Team 1 then adds Oglemi's Offensive Eelektross, DragonTamers Bulk Up Gallade and jtlek's Scarf Magmortar
*Team 2 then adds Cherub's Offensive Tangrowth and PlayerX's Choice Scarf Typhlosion
*Team 1 completes their line up with Zoap's Bulky Exeggutor
*Team 2 completes their line up with Player Y's Wall Breaker Honchkrow

Final teams are as follows:
Team 1:
Rhydon
Ludicolo
Eelektross
Gallade
Magmortar
Exeggutor
Team 2:
Steelix
Slowking
Lanturn
Tangrowth
Typhlosion
Honchkrow
This way each team get to formulate little by little and plan for each counter with a counter of there own.

*indicates I ran out of pokemon in the thread to use and therefore went off the top of my head.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)