RU Threat List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great job on the OP. I was reading through it though and I saw the part about Manectric Vs. Galvantula, you should add Lightning Rod as one of Manectric's advantages. I run a scarf set and I cant even count how many times I've switched in on a Thunder Wave aimed for Yanmega or some other electric attack and then swept with a +1 boost to speed and Sp. Attack. Its really helpful and further differentiates the two electric types.

I threw the sandstorm thing in there as a random bit of info, unless regirock runs sandstorm the move (not going to happen) the effect is mindless trivia. i am more interested as to why you don't include ether regirock OR steelix. Does someone to a better job as a tank then ether of them.
....once again, Rhyperior and Rhydon.

I can see some fun with walling others off with a combo of Regirock, Ferroseed, Munchlax, and Miltank. While the first three have fun annoying the stuffing out of the opponent, if they get burned, poisoned, or paralyzed, Miltank can just use heal bell....
Better make a team on that ASAP.

EDIT: Xephyr, I can see what you are talking about with eviolite and solid rock, but do you have any idea what there special defense is?
Rhydon: 45
Rhyperior: 55
.........meanwhile...
Regirock: 100!!!
Regirock has it better unfortunately. Plus he doesn't get that 4x weakness to water and grass. Which are both normally special moves by the way.

I can see some fun with walling others off with a combo of Regirock, Ferroseed, Munchlax, and Miltank. While the first three have fun annoying the stuffing out of the opponent, if they get burned, poisoned, or paralyzed, Miltank can just use heal bell....
Better make a team on that ASAP.
Any poke with a fighting move will shit all over that team.

Any poke with a fighting move will shit all over that team.
Regirocks Defence: 200
I'm pretty sure that's more than enough to wall a fighting type. Plus, Ferroseed has eviolite to boost it's defense up. You also still have two other slots in your team which can be used to counter fighting types.
Cough *Cresselia Cough*

I'm pretty sure that's more than enough to wall a fighting type. Plus, Ferroseed has eviolite to boost it's defense up. You also still have two other slots in your team which can be used to counter fighting types.
Cough *Cresselia Cough*
Alright, go ahead and make that team. We'll see how far up you make it on the ladder. I predict you don't even break top 500.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I'm pretty sure that's more than enough to wall a fighting type.
I have been the bigger, if not the biggest supporter of Regirock and from personal experience (granted it was last gen) I can say this is not true. Supper effective attacks will give Regirock hell, making his typing pretty problematic.

Alright, go ahead and make that team. We'll see how far up you make it on the ladder. I predict you don't even break top 500.
Someone's getting a little bit competitive aren't they.....? It was just a suggestion. Sheesh. Don't need to get all competitive. But on that note, I'm just saying that these pokemon could probably help out a lot in defensive teams and such. Munchlax, meh, but definitely Ferroseed and Regirock and Miltank. I'm just giving suggestions for new strategies that's all. Besides, I can't make a team right now because I'm at my families house and they don't have PO.

EDIT: Never mind what i said. Regirock cant take a hit as well as I thought. looks at jail cell wall. Put another mark on a team that failed for me. I guess I just need to try and balance out the team more evenly with offense.

OK I'm gonna propose that Crawdaunt be added to the threatlist. I think some people, me included, may have nudged at it before but never got a response so I'm gonna try to make a serious pitch.
Looking over your analysis, I think you make a lot of great points. The combination of Adaptability, Dragon Dance, and dual typing gives it the potential to unleash a wall tearing sweep. Dark and Water make solid coverage. Another interesting point you missed in your analysis is while Crawdaunt's defenses are pretty bad, and his typing actually gives some pretty useful x2 resists. The biggest x2 resists, which is a feature of the RU metagame, are against many priority attacks that would normally stop a similar sweeper cold. The Water/Dark typing protects Crawdaunt against Sucker Punch, Aqua Jet, Shadow Sneak, Bullet Punch, and Ice Shard (though those last two hardly come up in any seriousness in this tier.) While Crawdaunt is weak against both Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave, the lack of powerful and popular users in RU gives Crawdaunt additional defenses against a priority stop.

Unfortunately, my difficulties with Crawdaunt that I've experienced is the difficulty in setting up, the difficulty in switching in, the weakness against revenge killing, and the dominance of bug sweepers. Crawdaunt's poor special defense and HP means he is stuck coming in on defensive pokemon, Cressila being the best example that you pointed out in your pitch. While he is immune to psychic, and resists six types, his poor durability makes switching into even resisted attacks bad for his health, and many pokemon, instead of fleeing from a switched in Crawdaunt, will opt to smash it into the ground before it can get a dragon dance off.

Speed Boost Yanmega can run down +1 DD Crawdaunt after a protect, or if it suspects the opponent will try and get another DD off to safeguard against a Speed Boost rundown, bug buzz will finish the crawdad. Both Jolly Durant and Timid Galvantula are just barely above that 342 speed benchmark, and can revenge kill with their STABs of Choice (Though without hone claws, there is a chance that Durant will miss, and with a Life Orb, Crawdaunt can 1HKO Durant with Waterfall. However, it can easily survive Crunch, so unlike Galvantula, it can actually switch into Crawdaunt with proper prediction). Choice Scarf users with a higher base speed than 55 outruns Crawdaunt, and can revenge him effectively. Tangela can wall it, and can stop the sweep cold.

That said, Crawdaunt can work well as a late game sweeper, when the other threats have been dealt with, but I feel that he needs a lot of support from his team, and until the threats have been cleared away, sending out Crawdaunt is a very risky prospect.

I've been having some reasonable success with Altaria's clerical strengths lately. Heal Bell is invaluable to my team, and it's nice to be able to come in on choiced fighters like Primeape. I was considering Miltank instead of Altaria for the bulk, but Miltank just doesn't handle RU very well. Also, I've been trying to look for a replacement to my Scarf Magneton. He hits reasonably hard, and sturdy is gloriously useful, but I can't help but ask for more from him. Any suggestions?

And don't use Regirock. And don't use Regirock with Ferroseed. They don't help each other. Regirock will actually slow your Ferroseed down as you could pair it up with a better defensive partner. Say, Quagsire?

Speed Boost Yanmega can run down +1 DD Crawdaunt after a protect, or if it suspects the opponent will try and get another DD off to safeguard against a Speed Boost rundown, bug buzz will finish the crawdad. Both Jolly Durant and Timid Galvantula are just barely above that 342 speed benchmark, and can revenge kill with their STABs of Choice (Though without hone claws, there is a chance that Durant will miss, and with a Life Orb, Crawdaunt can 1HKO Durant with Waterfall. However, it can easily survive Crunch, so unlike Galvantula, it can actually switch into Crawdaunt with proper prediction). Choice Scarf users with a higher base speed than 55 outruns Crawdaunt, and can revenge him effectively. Tangela can wall it, and can stop the sweep cold.

That said, Crawdaunt can work well as a late game sweeper, when the other threats have been dealt with, but I feel that he needs a lot of support from his team, and until the threats have been cleared away, sending out Crawdaunt is a very risky prospect.
That's where the Sub comes in although Sub+Life Orb also wears you down fairly guickly.

I've been having some reasonable success with Altaria's clerical strengths lately. Heal Bell is invaluable to my team, and it's nice to be able to come in on choiced fighters like Primeape. I was considering Miltank instead of Altaria for the bulk, but Miltank just doesn't handle RU very well. Also, I've been trying to look for a replacement to my Scarf Magneton. He hits reasonably hard, and sturdy is gloriously useful, but I can't help but ask for more from him. Any suggestions?

And don't use Regirock. And don't use Regirock with Ferroseed. They don't help each other. Regirock will actually slow your Ferroseed down as you could pair it up with a better defensive partner. Say, Quagsire?

Yaaaaaa.... Itried that strategy and it... failed. However, Ferroseed and miltank are pretty good together and with a few sweepers you can have a pretty solid team. Quagsire is an interesting choice and it MIGHT work with the other two, but I would definitely recommend a pokemon that walls fighting type pokemons. Too bad I can't think of any =_=. Anyone know of a good fighting resistant wall?

Anyone know of a good fighting resistant wall?
The fact that he had to ask us this and the fact that probably the most common Pokemon in the metagame is a fighting resistant wall makes me think that he's rather clueless about RU.

The fact that he had to ask us this and the fact that probably the most common Pokemon in the metagame is a fighting resistant wall makes me think that he's rather clueless about RU.
Facepalm* I'm not the best competitive battler ok? Don't need to be so harsh about it. I normally only use mons that I like the best so sometimes I miss out on things. If you are refferring to Cresselia, then I know of her in this metagame. I'm thinking though of a fighting resist wall that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Facepalm* I'm not the best competitive battler ok? Don't need to be so harsh about it. I normally only use mons that I like the best so sometimes I miss out on things. If you are refferring to Cresselia, then I know of her in this metagame. I'm thinking though of a fighting resist wall that hasn't been mentioned yet.
If you don't want Cress, you've got Moltres, Claydol, Slowking, or even Vespiquen (4x resist)! There are also the Ghosts who are immune to Fighting.

Resists aren't that important when there's stuff like Tangela and even Blastoise that can wall every fighter out there. Also Quagsire brings a full stop to all Physical Pokemon that lacks a Grass attack.

I can see Ferroseed and quagsire working together. Ferroseed 4x resists grass while quagsire takes the fire attacks. I'm thinking of putting haunter on my team to stop fighting types. Or should I just stick with stuff that is so bulky, that it doesn't need to worry about fighting type attacks?

I don't suggest using Haunter. First of all it won't really threaten any non choiced fighting types. They'll just attack back with another attack and Haunter will be OHKO'd. Haunter has horrible bulk and even with an eviolite and investment it won't do him much good. He's basically an inferior Alakazam. (Except with a better typing and ability) I suggest using Duskinor, Cofagrigus or even Golurk if you want a ghost type for those fighting types.

Pinsir is a pretty powerful fighter in RU. I am able to at least kill two of his pokemon with pinsir or cripple most of his team.

Pinsir is a pretty powerful fighter in RU. I am able to at least kill two of his pokemon with pinsir or cripple most of his team.
Durant and Scolipede are better physical bugs in this tier than Pinsir to be honest.

Durant has Hustle + Hone Claws and 109 base speed stat. With stab X-scissor and Iron Head he wrecks things a lot easier and faster than Pinsir.

Scolipede has Swords Dance, Can absorb Toxic Spikes, has a base 112 speed stat and has an extremely powerful Megahorn.

Forgot about scolipede. Still, the bug monz in this tier are looking pretty good so far. Hopefully Scolipede won't go to uu anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)