[RU] Upgraded

Upgraded

This is a team I made centered around Porygon-Z. After noticing the lack of steel types in RU, I thought that a Double Dance set with Tri-Attack and Dark Pulse would be fairly effective, and it absolutely cleans up end game. With this team I ended up peaking #34 on the ladder(so far) with a little over 1200 points. However, it seems this team has plateaued, and I'd like some advice.

Team Building

As stated, I wanted a team centered around double dancing Porygon-Z, so I started there.

Then I wanted something to take out steels, so I went with a Magnet Pull Eviolite Magneton.

I then added a defensive core of Tangela and Slowking. In my opinion, these two create almost a SkarmBliss of RU(albeit they share a bug weakness). Because they both have regenerater, it is too easy to switch between them.

Next, I wanted a fast choice scarfer, so I picked Typhlosion to deal with all the bug types running rampant.

Finally, I added a ghost to deal with the fighting weakness that Porygon-Z and Magneton shared. I wanted a physical attacker, so I picked Choice Band Dusknoir.

As it turns out, steel is not a very common type, and Magneton was just not pulling his weight. I wanted a hazard layer, and Ferroseed is one of the best there is.

While laddering, I found my team was far too specially based. I switched out Typhlosion for a Banded Entei, and because I did not want two Choice Bands on the same team, I opted for a Hone Claws Durant over Dusclops. With a little re-ordering, this is my final team.

The Team​

Entei @ Choice Band
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Flare Blitz
- ExtremeSpeed
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head

Although he is first in my Team Preview, I almost never lead with Entei, that's usually Tangela or Ferroseed's job. Choice Band Entei hits like a truck with Flare Blitz, and I gave him Adamant for the extra power. I'll be using Extreemespeed if outspeeding the opponent is critical. It even goes before Sucker Punch, and that's been extremely handy at times. His last two moves are mostly filler moves. I seldom use Stone Edge, and have never used Iron Head. I'm taking suggestions on what to put here. I'll often use Entei to counter baton pass with ExtremeSpeed.

Tangela (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Reflect

Oh this guy. Not even super effective physical moves even touch him. I spam Sleep Powder as much as possible, or Leech Seed if its not. Giga Drain to actually deal some damage and get back some health. The last moveslot goes to Reflect. That looks like a gimmick, but it has been ridiculously helpful at times. It helps in stall wars against physical pokemon, or when I know I'm going to have to switch to Slowking against a physical attacker, and Slowking loves help on the physical side.

Slowking (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Scald
- Protect
- Slack Off
- Ice Beam

The other half of my 'TangeKing' combo; he's essentially the specially defensive version of Tangela. EV's and Nature to max out his Special Defense. Scald and Ice Beam were obvious choices for me, protect to scout, and Slack Off to heal. The only problem is that Both Tangela and Slowking are weak to bug, but its Entei's job to switch in to them. I was thinking about putting a status move on him, because he doesn't hit very hard off of an uninvested special attack stat, and he would like more to do.

Durant (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- X-Scissor
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Hone Claws

Durant has come through several tough times for this team. Self-Explanatory EV's and Timid because he's boosting his attack anyway. One Hone Claws patches up the inaccuracy caused by Hustle, and gives him that extra attack boost, along with life orb, to KO so many Pokes. X-Scissor and Iron Head for Stab, and Rock Slide for the ever-present Bug pokemon. He comes through in big ways when I'm not expecting him too, especially when my Opponent runs out of pokemon who outspeed him, because Durant hits hard, but dies to a lot of physical attacks and virtually all special ones.

Ferroseed (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Sunny Day

There's not much to say about this guy. EV's and Nature give him balanced defences, and Eviolite for that extra boost. Stealth Rock and Spikes are obvious, Thunder Wave to give him something to do after hazards are set, and Sunny Day to ruin Rain Dance's fun. And hail too, I guess.

Porygon-Z @ Leftovers
Trait: Adaptability
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SAtk / 128 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Tri Attack
- Dark Pulse
- Agility
- Nasty Plot

And finally the star of the show. He's almost certainly the team MVP, only competing with the dual thread of Tangela and Slowking. Leftovers are for survivability, Adaptability to boost Tri Attack to ridiculous levels, and Modest to push that Special Attack even higher. I'm actually not certain what the EV spread does, I swiped it off the Agility set in the UU Pokemon Analysis. I think it has something to do with outspeeding scarfed base 100 pokemon after an agility, but I'm not sure. Usually I wait until late in the game to bring him out, after I know what sets my opponent is using. I'll usually use Agility first, unless I already outspeed the pokemon out, and I need the extra power. I find plenty of places to set up, between Tangela's Sleep Powder and Ferroseed's Thunder Wave, and if he gets up to +2/+2, its usually game over. If I see the opponent has Gorebyss, or another obvious baton pass user I'll either send in Entei with ExtremeSpeed, or this guy to boost up right alongside them.

In Conclusion​
I feel like the best way to describe this team is as 'Semi-Stall' or 'Balanced', with an equal balance of three pokemon either way. Now, I've had a good amount of success with this team (and probably the most out of any team I've made), and would really like to see its full potential, so any advice is welcome.

I know you say Reflect has been helpful for you on Tangela, but I think Knock Off is the best move to put there. Tangela goes on basically all of my RU teams, and Knock Off has helped me countless times by doing things like getting rid of Eviolites or Leftovers or even getting rid of the Lum Berry on a Harvest Tropius that was stalling my face off.

Hey, I like the team

One thing I can suggest is fixing the team's synergy. You have two pokemon 4x weak to fire and another that's 2x weak and only two resists. I suggest replacing Durant with Dusknoir. Don't run a CB set, I think just a normal stalling set would work great. That way, with WoW support, you can seriously impair any physical attackers. He also keeps the bug resist that your team wants.

I also don't really like Ferroseed and Tangela on the same team. I think Ferroseed should be EV'd more to the defensive side (and get Seed Bomb over Sunny Day) so that Tangela can be replaced. I know that it helps with a defensive core, but they really fill the same role, and Ferroseed makes a much better partner with Slowking. I think you need to replace it with something that can handle all of the major threats in the tier (mostly Cressy, the Bugs, and Honckrow). Although he can't take Honckrow (which is mostly taken care of by your CB Entei), Eviolite Munchlax can handle all special threats coming its way. A simple set of Frustration / Rock Slide / Toxic / Whirlwind takes out much of these threats.

Just a few suggestions, good luck with the team.

EDIT: Also, agreeing with Xephyr's suggestion above, Knock Off is super useful

I dont see the point really in giving ferrothorn sunnyday if you are leading with Entei and you have nothing else that will really benefit from it. Also you have too many guys that would be weak to fireattacks despite slaking and enteis resistance to it. You be letting them take unnessary damage. I personally see Crustle being a better hazards-choice for this team as it can have rocks and spikes and has both respectable Def and Att. And idk maybe its me but both agility and nasty plot seem too much prep for me

Why would Ferroseed of all things use Sunny Day? Ferrothorn appreciates the Rain more than many other pokémon.

You said you were looking for a filler move on entei? Although it might seem redundant, you might want to change iron head to fire blast, just so Entei has a special aspect to it as well. This could help you if bulky physical walls come in. You would have to change your nature as not to hinder SpA, but it could provide better coverage as Iron head only helps you with rock pokemon and fire blast would help most notably with pokes like tengela.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
You said you were looking for a filler move on entei? Although it might seem redundant, you might want to change iron head to fire blast, just so Entei has a special aspect to it as well. This could help you if bulky physical walls come in. You would have to change your nature as not to hinder SpA, but it could provide better coverage as Iron head only helps you with rock pokemon and fire blast would help most notably with pokes like tengela.
ESpeed/Flare Blitz Entei can only be Adamant.

Thanks for all the rates! this team, with some minor adjustments, peaked #8 on the RU ladder. I gave Slowking yawn over ice beam, and replaced Durant with a dragon dance Crawdant. For the questions about Sunny Day, it is solely to stop hail and rain. It has helped a lot against weather teams. Don't knock it until you've tried it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)