Sableye (Revamp) [GP: 2/2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
QC checks: Sweep, WreckDra, Nayrz
GP: Muk, Malley

sableye-mega.gif

[OVERVIEW]

Sableye's increased bulk and incredible ability, Magic Bounce, after Mega Evolving let it switch into almost every entry-hazard setter in the Uber tier. With its ability to keep Stealth Rock and Spikes off the field, along with its amazing typing that makes it immune to Normal-, Fighting-, and Psychic-type attacks and only weak to Fairy-type attacks, Mega Sableye carves itself a large niche. This, along with its great supporting movepool, allows Mega Sableye to be a reliable stop to dangerous physical attackers such as Extreme Killer Arceus, Deoxys-A, Mega Mewtwo X, and Mega Kangaskhan. Mega Sableye can also cripple or completely halt many support Pokemon found on more defensive teams, such as defensive Yveltal, Klefki lacking Dazzling Gleam, Tyranitar, Lugia, and Ferrothorn. On the other hand, two popular Stealth Rock users, Primal Groudon and Dialga, can overpower Mega Sableye with their powerful STAB attacks, so it cannot always reliably keep Stealth Rock off the field by itself. Mega Sableye is also complete setup fodder for powerful special sweepers and wallbreakers such as Geomancy Xerneas, Darkrai, and Calm Mind Primal Kyogre, and it loses to some of the tier's most powerful physical wallbreakers: offensive Primal Groudon, Mega Salamence, Ho-Oh, and Rayquaza. Overall, with proper team support Mega Sableye is incredibly hard to pin down and beat and offers a few very rare and sought-after roles on defensive teams.

[SET]
name: Utility
move 1: Foul Play
move 2: Will-O-Wisp
move 3: Recover
move 4: Fake Out / Protect
item: Sablenite
ability: Prankster
nature: Impish / Bold
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Foul Play has STAB and bypasses Mega Sableye's low Attack stat by using the opponent's Attack stat against them. It also punishes physical sweepers who set up, as doing so increases Foul Play's power. Will-O-Wisp halves the opposing Pokemon's Attack and slowly wears it down. This allows Mega Sableye to avoid the 2HKO from many boosted threats and either stall them out with Recover or KO them with Foul Play. Recover gives Mega Sableye reliable recovery so that it can switch into both entry-hazard setters and the physical attackers it is supposed to check more reliably throughout the match. The fourth moveslot has many viable options. Fake Out allows Sableye to Mega Evolve without taking damage and break a potential Focus Sash against suicide leads such as Deoxys-S, Deoxys-A, and Greninja. Many balanced and stall teams rely on Sableye Mega Evolving on the first turn safely, making this the best move in many cases. Protect can be used instead of Fake Out to Mega Evolve safely and works well in conjunction with the residual damage from Will-O-Wisp, but it does not break Focus Sashes and can potentially give the opponent a free turn to set up. Toxic is another viable option, as it can put switch-ins such as Primal Groudon, Primal Kyogre, and Fairies on a timer. Finally, Metal Burst can pick off powerful wallbreakers such as offensive Primal Groudon, Ho-Oh, Mega Salamence, and Rayquaza after some prior damage due to Mega Sableye's ability to tank a single hit from all of them. However, Mega Sableye's low HP stat makes it unable to OHKO them from full HP and leaves it at low HP after using Metal Burst.

Set Details
========

Sablenite is required to give Sableye enough bulk to check the physical attackers that it is supposed to check and give it Magic Bounce so that it can keep entry hazards off the field. An EV spread of 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD with an Impish nature maximizes Mega Sableye's physical bulk, as it is almost always used to check physical attackers, while minimizing residual damage from hazards should it fail to keep them off the field. If using a move other than Fake Out in the fourth slot, a Bold nature should be used to minimize Foul Play damage from opposing Yveltal because Sableye's own Foul Play does not take its Attack stat into consideration. An alternative EV spread of 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 SpD with an Impish or Bold nature allows Mega Sableye to avoid the 2HKO from Timid Mega Mewtwo Y's Fire Blast and almost always avoid the 2HKO from Naive Life Orb Deoxys-A's Ice Beam, but it takes away from Mega Sableye's much-needed physical bulk and makes it more difficult for Sableye to perform its main roles of keeping hazards off the field and checking strong physical attackers at the same time. This spread avoids the 2HKO from these moves only if Stealth Rock and Spikes are off the field, so secondary hazard control such as Defog is necessary when using this EV spread.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Sableye is almost always used on more defensive teams, as it clashes with many offensive Pokemon due to it halting momentum and having no offensive presence unless the opposing Pokemon has a high Attack stat. Mega Sableye effortlessly blocks entry hazards from almost every hazard setter in the tier except for Primal Groudon, Dialga, Mega Diancie, and Deoxys-S with Skill Swap, so switching in liberally to block hazards is usually safe. If running Fake Out or Protect, Mega Sableye should almost always lead because Mega Evolving safely early on in the game is required for many of the teams on which it is found. Sableye can remain in its normal form if having Will-O-Wisp as a priority move is deemed important, but keep in mind that the extra bulk and Magic Bounce are almost always more useful than the utility that Prankster offers. When using Mega Sableye, keeping it healthy is extremely important so that it can switch into both hazard setters and strong physical attackers. For this reason it is recommended to use Recover on predicted switches. One should also be careful of using Will-O-Wisp too recklessly, as it gives a free switch to Fire-types such as Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh. In addition, one should consider whether possible switch-ins are better off burned as opposed to paralyzed or poisoned if Mega Sableye's teammates run other status moves.

Team Options
========

Ho-Oh is probably the best teammate for Mega Sableye, as it appreciates Stealth Rock off the field, appreciates physical attackers being checked, and can check special attackers such as Xerneas and Darkrai in return thanks to its massive Special Defense stat. Lugia is also a great partner, as it can check the powerful wallbreakers that beat Mega Sableye, such as Mega Salamence, Primal Groudon, and Rayquaza, and Mega Sableye's ability to keep Stealth Rock off the field helps keep Lugia's Multiscale intact. Reliable Defoggers such as Water Arceus and Latias provide almost airtight hazard control in conjunction with Mega Sableye's ability. Water Arceus notably checks Primal Groudon, Mega Salamence, Rayquaza, and Ho-Oh, while Latias is one of the few safe switch-ins to Primal Kyogre in the Uber tier. Primal Groudon works well with Mega Sableye, as it can check Fairies and Primal Kyogre as well as set up Stealth Rock reliably. Ferrothorn is also a good teammate, as it checks Primal Kyogre and certain Xerneas variants. The residual damage from Leech Seed and Will-O-Wisp also wear down opposing Pokemon quickly.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Taunt is a possible option on Mega Sableye to allow it to anti-lead even Skill Swap variants of Deoxys-S, and it can ease prediction against switch-ins such as Xerneas and Darkrai, but it is almost always just as beneficial to hit them with a status move. Counter deals more damage than Metal Burst, but it is illegal with Prankster meaning that Sableye loses a little bit of its utility before it Mega Evolves. Knock Off can cripple or weaken Xerneas, Darkrai, or Ho-Oh on the switch, but many items in the Uber tier cannot be removed, making it an inferior option in many cases. Sucker Punch can do decent damage to Latias and Latios and can whittle down checks without reliable recovery such as Primal Kyogre in a pinch, but it has little use outside of those scenarios.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fairy-types**: Xerneas can switch into Mega Sableye with little cost and either OHKO it right away with Moonblast or set up Geomancy and threaten the rest of Mega Sableye's team. Fairy Arceus can easily switch in and threaten Mega Sableye with Judgment or Defog entry hazards away. Mega Diancie threatens Mega Sableye with Moonblast and can deflect status moves with its own Magic Bounce.

**Dark-types**: While it is unable to put Mega Sableye to sleep, Darkrai can freely set up Nasty Plot and OHKO it. Offensive variants of Yveltal can also 2HKO Mega Sableye with Dark Pulse or Oblivion Wing. However, Mega Sableye completely counters Tyranitar and defensive variants of Yveltal.

**Fire-types**: Primal Groudon is immune to Will-O-Wisp, can overwhelm Mega Sableye with Precipice Blades, and can possibly 2HKO or burn Mega Sableye with Lava Plume. Mega Sableye can switch into defensive variants running Earthquake and Stone Edge, however. Offensive variants of Ho-Oh can 2HKO Mega Sableye with either Brave Bird or Sacred Fire, but they do not appreciate switching into Foul Play.

**Calm Mind Arceus Formes**: Mega Sableye cannot 2HKO any of them with Foul Play, and they eventually break through and threaten the rest of Mega Sableye's teammates. Variants running Refresh cannot be worn down with Will-O-Wisp or Toxic either.

**Wish Passers and Clerics**: Blissey and Clefable shrug off anything Mega Sableye can do except for Taunt and can pass gigantic Wishes to their teammates or rid them of status.

**Primal Kyogre**: Mega Sableye cannot 2HKO offensive variants and they can OHKO in return with Origin Pulse. Defensive variants can use Rest to rid themselves of status and can 2HKO Mega Sableye with Scald.

**Mega Salamence with Refresh**: Mega Salamence can easily break through Mega Sableye, and Mega Sableye has no chance of landing a 2HKO unless Mega Salamence uses an Adamant nature.

**Rayquaza**: Rayquaza can 2HKO Mega Sableye, but it does not appreciate being burned or hit by Foul Play after the Defense drop from Dragon Ascent.

**Dialga**: Dialga can beat Mega Sableye one-on-one with its powerful STAB attacks and can easily force it out in order to set up Stealth Rock.

Last edited:
I think that is pretty much ready for the QC team to check and suggest improvements. I'll think of a couple more good teammates in the meantime.

Overview:

This is a terrible Mega Lucario answer, Iron Tail does way too much even uninvested and runs through it at +2. Definitely remove Lucario from the list of mons this checks.

The rare Dazzling Gleam Klefki (which I've seen a couple times specifically for Sableye, Sub Xerneas is very rare now and Palkia doesn't exist so Play Rough is slightly less good in ORAS) can beat Sableye 1-1. Probably worth a very brief mention.

Set:

Remove Leftovers mention, regular Sableye isn't good enough to justify a teamslot unfortunately.

I don't like Taunt, it's too slow to use it effectively and I'd rather just burn predicted switches to walls a good portion of the time. My justification for Fake Out being the first slash is to prevent you from being 2HKOed by certain leads, that can use Prankster against you and essentially attack you two turns in a row. Using Fake Out on a lead Primal Groudon and recovering the next turn allows you to gauge how much attack it is running / attempt to scout the set, for example. So yea, Mega Evolving safely is nice!

100% agree with you on the spread btw, max defense helps you out vs. stuff like SD Ground Arceus and (in a pinch) some support Primal Groudon.

Moves:

I'd rather just burn obvious Darkrai and Xerneas switches (or poison them if you run Toxic). Taunt is OO worthy IMO, Metal Burst (nice on Balance teams to surprise Primal Groudon for Xerneas) is a decent option, a shame about Sableye's dreadful HP. I also feel Toxic is worth the mention here to cripple Fairies and Primal Kyogre more effectively while hitting Fire-types. Neither Metal Burst nor Toxic are slash-worthy I don't think, but are worth the mention in Moves...I'll let other QC comment though.

Set Details:

Last bullet point is very good, just remember to remove the regular Sableye mentions.

Usage Tips:

Pretty good overall, although the teams Sableye is used on should always be solid enough to beat Xerneas via means other than Paralysis (bc no good Balance team should be overrun by Aroma / Misty Terrain GeoXern) so I'm not as concerned about using Will-O-Wisp as you are. Completely agree on your point about using Recover on free turns, cannot emphasize enough how important it is to keep this healthy. Even if Taunt were good on Sableye, it's not found on teams that will have many dangerous set-up sweepers (even though some are certainly OK on balance i.e. SD Groundceus or GeoXern) so idk how relevant that point is.

Team Options:

Mention Ferrothorn, which is an amazing partner because of its ability to hard check Primal Kyogre and beat some Geomancy Xerneas variants.

Other Options:

Ah, the fabled 4th move on Sableye. Mention Sucker Punch to do decent damage to Lati@s and chip Kyogre in a pinch. Counter sounds cool if it could fit Fake Out as well, but it can only use one, which is depressing. It's still worth the mention though, happy you brought it up.

Checks & Counters:

Mention Wish passers like Blissey get to pass giant Wishes to their team if they can get in on Sableye without getting Taunted. Clerics can too, but they themselves will be burned (although Sableye hates Clefable and especially Xerneas and probably won't risk staying in). Other than that I think you got everything.

QC 1/3

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I personally think the set should look like this

Adding Protect as well as Toxic in Moves

Metal Burst in OO like Sweep said (I have never used this move on sab though so it may need more QC support)

Add a line about stall and some balance builds wanting to mega evolve sableye turn one in almost every match up.

I had a really long QC check ready but Sweep ninjaed :pirate:

Last edited:
Okay I changed everything that Sweep recommended and changed the 4th move to reflect WreckDra's recommendation. I also added that one can potentially keep Sableye in its normal form early in the match if they think that they'll need the priority Will-O-Wisp, but Magic Bounce + bulk is much more useful in like 95/100 matches so I'll take it out if anyone tells me to.

One last question: since I moved Toxic and Metal Burst into Moves for the time being, should they be taken out of OO?

Thanks you two! (And I definitely didn't calc Mega Lucario wrong when running calcs against him, nope...).

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yes, remove them from OO. I think your line is good, but could use a little more emphasis on how rare this occasion comes about. It gets people thinking about their options, though; that is what I like about it. Mention that Tyranitar is the only dark-type that doesnt check sab (sab counters it lol) in C&C.

QC 2/3
QC_stamp.gif

Okay, this is written and ready for the third QC. Minor changes:

• Removed Latios as a good teammate since Mega Sableye is usually found on more defensive teams on which Latias is usually preferred.
  • Mentioned Mega Diancie as a Stealth Rock user that can beat Mega Sableye (tell me if you want this gone, I realize that Mega Diancie is a sub-optimal hazard setter)
  • Added a section for Rayquaza under C&C.
  • Added a section for Dialga under C&C.
  • Added Mega Diancie under C&C in the "Fairy-types" section.
I can combine Primal Kyogre, Salamence, and Rayquaza into one "Wallbreaker" section, but they seemed different enough to warrant their own category in my eyes at least.

Last edited:
for a first analysis i am hella impressed with this kinda quality. nothing sticks out to me as wrong and theres accurate + useful info across the analysis... good shit.

the individual wallbreakers part seems fine to me.

QC 3/3

Thanks Nayrz, that means a lot! Like I said, I use this mon on way too many teams.

I'll stamp this and then it'll be ready for GP!

Reactions: Muk
i will do this shortly

add/change
remove
comments

[OVERVIEW]

Sableye's increased bulk and incredible ability, Magic Bounce, after Mega Evolving let it switch into almost every almost every entry hazard setter in the Uber tier. Along with its ability to keep Stealth Rock and Spikes off of the field, Mega Sableye carves itself a large niche thanks to its amazing typing making it immune to Normal-, Fighting-, and Psychic-type attacks and only weak to Fairy-type attacks. This along with its great supporting movepool allows Mega Sableye to be a reliable stop to dangerous physical attackers such as Extreme Killer Arceus, Deoxys-A, Mega Mewtwo X, and Mega Kangaskhan. Mega Sableye can also cripple or completely halt many support Pokemon found on more defensive teams, (AC) such as defensive Yveltal, Klefki variants lacking Dazzling Gleam, Tyranitar, Lugia, and Ferrothorn. On the other hand, two popular Stealth Rock users, Primal Groudon and Dialga, can overpower Mega Sableye with their powerful STAB attacks, (AC) so it cannot always reliably keep Stealth Rock off of the field by itself. Mega Sableye is also complete setup fodder for powerful special sweepers and wallbreakers such as Geomancy Xerneas, Darkrai, and Calm Mind Primal Kyogre, (AC) and it loses to the tier's most powerful physical wallbreakers: offensive Primal Groudon, Mega Salamence, Ho-Oh, and Rayquaza. Overall, Mega Sableye is incredibly hard to pin down and beat with proper team support and offers a few very rare and sought-after roles on defensive teams.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Foul Play is Mega Sableye's STAB attack that bypasses its low Attack stat by using the opponent's Attack stat against them. It also punishes physical sweepers who set up, as doing so increases Foul Play's power. Will-O-Wisp halves the opposing Pokemon's Attack and slowly wears it down. This allows Mega Sableye to avoid the 2HKO from many boosted threats and either stall them out with Recover or KO them with Foul Play. Recover gives Mega Sableye reliable recovery so that it can switch into both entry hazard setters and the physical attackers it is supposed to check more reliably throughout the match without being overwhelmed. The fourth moveslot has many viable options. Fake Out allows Sableye to Mega Evolve without taking damage and break a potential Focus Sash against suicide leads such as Deoxys-S, Deoxys-A, and Greninja. Many balanced and stall teams rely on Sableye Mega Evolving on the first turn safely, (AC) making this the best move in many cases. Protect can be used instead of Fake Out to Mega Evolve safely and works well in conjunction with the residual damage from Will-O-Wisp, but it does not break Focus Sashes and can potentially give the opponent a free turn to set up. Toxic is another viable option since it can put switch-ins such as Primal Groudon, Primal Kyogre, and Fairies on a timer. Finally, Metal Burst can pick off powerful wallbreakers such as offensive Primal Groudon, Ho-Oh, Mega Salamence, and Rayquaza after some prior damage due to Mega Sableye's ability to tank a single hit from all of them. However, Mega Sableye's low HP stat makes it unable to OHKO them from full HP and leaves it at low HP after using Metal Burst.

Set Details
========

Sablenite is required to give Sableye enough bulk to check the physical attackers that it is supposed to check and Magic Bounce so that it can keep entry hazards off of the field. An EV spread of 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD with an Impish nature maximizes Mega Sableye's physical bulk, (AC) since it is almost always used to check physical attackers, (AC) while minimizing residual damage from hazards should it fail to keep them off of the field. If using a move other than Fake Out in the fourth slot, a Bold nature with 0 Attack IVs (you don't need to mention using a 0 Attack IV in analyses) should be used to minimize Foul Play damage from opposing Yveltal since Sableye's own Foul Play does not take its Attack stat into consideration. An alternative EV spread of 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 SpD with an Impish or Bold nature allows Mega Sableye to avoid the 2HKO from Timid Mega Mewtwo Y's Fire Blast and almost always avoid the 2HKO from Naive Life Orb Deoxys-A's Ice Beam, but it takes away from Mega Sableye's much-needed physical bulk and makes it more difficult for Sableye to perform its main roles of keeping hazards off of the field and checking strong physical attackers at the same time. This spread avoids the 2HKO from these moves only if Stealth Rock and Spikes are off of the field, (AC) so secondary hazard control such as Defog is necessary when using this EV spread.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Sableye is almost always used on more defensive teams, as it clashes with many offensive Pokemon due to halting momentum and having no offensive presence unless the opposing Pokemon has a high Attack stat. Mega Sableye effortlessly blocks entry hazards from almost every hazard setter in the tier except for Primal Groudon, Dialga, Mega Diancie, and Deoxys-S with Skill Swap, (AC) so switching into them liberally is usually safe since none of the others can 2HKO it. If running Fake Out or Protect, Mega Sableye should almost always be the lead of choice since Mega Evolving safely early on in the game is required for many of the teams on which it is found. However, Sableye can remain in its normal form if having Will-O-Wisp as a priority move is deemed important, but keep in mind that the extra bulk and Magic Bounce are almost always more useful than the utility that Prankster offers. When using Mega Sableye, keeping it healthy and managing its HP is extremely important so that it can switch into both hazard setters and strong physical attackers. For this reason it is recommended to liberally use Recover on predicted switches. One should also be careful of using Will-O-Wisp too recklessly, (AC) since it gives a free switch to Fire-types such as Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh. In addition, one should consider whether possible switch-ins are better off burned as opposed to paralyzed or poisoned if its teammates run alternate status moves.

Team Options
========

Ho-Oh is probably the best teammate for Mega Sableye, as it appreciates Stealth Rock off the field, appreciates physical attackers being checked, and can check special attackers such as Xerneas and Darkrai in return thanks to its massive Special Defense stat. Lugia is also a great partner since it can check the powerful wallbreakers that beat Mega Sableye, (AC) such as Mega Salamence, Primal Groudon, and Rayquaza, (AC) and can keep its Multiscale intact with the help of Mega Sableye's ability to keep Stealth Rock off of the field. Reliable Defoggers such as Water Arceus and Latias in conjunction with Mega Sableye's ability work together to provide almost airtight hazard control in conjunction with Mega Sableye's ability. Water Arceus notably checks Primal Groudon, Mega Salamence, Rayquaza, and Ho-Oh, while Latias is one of the few safe switch-ins to Primal Kyogre in the Uber tier. Primal Groudon works well with Mega Sableye since it can check Fairies and Primal Kyogre as well as set up Stealth Rock reliably. Ferrothorn is also a good teammate since it checks Primal Kyogre and certain Xerneas variants. The residual damage from Leech Seed and Will-O-Wisp also wear down opposing Pokemon quickly.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Taunt is a possible option on Mega Sableye since it allows it to anti-lead even Skill Swap variants of Deoxys-S and can ease prediction against switch-ins such as Xerneas and Darkrai, but it is almost always just as beneficial to hit them with a status move. Counter deals more damage than Metal Burst, but it is illegal with Prankster meaning that Sableye loses a little bit of its utility before it Mega Evolves. Knock Off can cripple or weaken Xerneas, Darkrai, or Ho-Oh on the switch, but many items in the Uber tier cannot be removed, (AC) making it an inferior option in many cases. Sucker Punch can do decent damage to Latias and Latios and can whittle down checks without reliable recovery such as Primal Kyogre in a pinch, but it has little use outside of those scenarios.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fairy-types**: Xerneas can switch into Mega Sableye with little cost and either OHKO it right away with Moonblast or set up a Geomancy and threaten the rest of Mega Sableye's team. Fairy Arceus can easily switch in and threaten Mega Sableye with Judgment, (RC) or Defog entry hazards away. Mega Diancie threatens Mega Sableye with Moonblast and can deflect status moves with its own Magic Bounce.

**Dark-types**: While it is unable to put Mega Sableye to sleep, Darkrai can freely set up Nasty Plot and OHKO it. Offensive variants of Yveltal can also 2HKO Mega Sableye with Dark Pulse or Oblivion Wing. However, Mega Sableye completely counters Tyranitar and defensive variants of Yveltal.

**Fire-types**: Primal Groudon is immune to Will-O-Wisp, can overwhelm Mega Sableye with Precipice Blades, and can possibly 2HKO or burn Mega Sableye with Lava Plume. Mega Sableye can switch into defensive variants running Earthquake and Stone Edge, however. Offensive variants of Ho-Oh can 2HKO Mega Sableye with either Brave Bird or Sacred Fire, but they do not appreciate switching into Foul Play.

**Calm Mind Arceus**: Mega Sableye cannot 2HKO any of them with Foul Play, (AC) and they eventually break through and threaten the rest of Mega Sableye's teammates. Variants running Refresh cannot be worn down with Will-O-Wisp or Toxic either.

**Wish Passers and Clerics**: Blissey and Clefable shrug off anything Mega Sableye can do except for Taunt and can pass gigantic Wishes to their teammates or rid them of status.

**Primal Kyogre**: Mega Sableye cannot 2HKO offensive variants and they can OHKO in return with Origin Pulse. Defensive variants with Scald can use Rest to rid themselves of status and can 2HKO Mega Sableye with Scald.

**Mega Salamence with Refresh**: Mega Salamence can easily break through Mega Sableye, (AC) and Mega Sableye has no chance of landing a 2HKO unless Mega Salamence uses an Adamant nature.

**Rayquaza**: Rayquaza can 2HKO Mega Sableye, but it does not appreciate being burned or hit by Foul Play after the Defense drop from Dragon Ascent.

**Dialga**: Dialga can beat Mega Sableye one-on-one with its powerful STAB attacks and can easily force it out in order to set up Stealth Rock.

GP 1/2 tenefix

this looks like a really good analysis in terms of both content and writing

Last edited:

Malley

Dominachu
Add
Remove/Change
(Comment)
(AC) = Add Comma, (RC) = Remove Comma, (AH) = Add Hyphen, etc.

[OVERVIEW]

Sableye's increased bulk and incredible ability, Magic Bounce, after Mega Evolving let it switch into almost every entry-hazard (AH) setter in the Uber tier. Along w With its ability to keep Stealth Rock and Spikes off of the field, Mega Sableye carves itself a large niche thanks to along with its amazing typing making that makes it immune to Normal-, Fighting-, and Psychic-type attacks and only weak to Fairy-type attacks, (AC) Mega Sableye carves itself a large niche. This, (AC) along with its great supporting movepool, (AC) allows Mega Sableye to be a reliable stop to dangerous physical attackers such as Extreme Killer Arceus, Deoxys-A, Mega Mewtwo X, and Mega Kangaskhan. Mega Sableye can also cripple or completely halt many support Pokemon found on more defensive teams, such as defensive Yveltal, Klefki variants lacking Dazzling Gleam, Tyranitar, Lugia, and Ferrothorn. On the other hand, two popular Stealth Rock users, Primal Groudon and Dialga, can overpower Mega Sableye with their powerful STAB attacks, so it cannot always reliably keep Stealth Rock off of the field by itself. Mega Sableye is also complete setup fodder for powerful special sweepers and wallbreakers such as Geomancy Xerneas, Darkrai, and Calm Mind Primal Kyogre, and it loses to some of the tier's most powerful physical wallbreakers: offensive Primal Groudon, Mega Salamence, Ho-Oh, and Rayquaza. Overall, with proper team support Mega Sableye is incredibly hard to pin down and beat with proper team support and offers a few very rare and sought-after roles on defensive teams.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Foul Play is Mega Sableye's STAB attack that has STAB and bypasses its Mega Sableye's low Attack stat by using the opponent's Attack stat against them. It also punishes physical sweepers who set up, as doing so increases Foul Play's power. Will-O-Wisp halves the opposing Pokemon's Attack and slowly wears it down. This allows Mega Sableye to avoid the 2HKO from many boosted threats and either stall them out with Recover or KO them with Foul Play. Recover gives Mega Sableye reliable recovery so that it can switch into both entry-hazard (AH) setters and the physical attackers it is supposed to check more reliably throughout the match without being overwhelmed. The fourth moveslot has many viable options. Fake Out allows Sableye to Mega Evolve without taking damage and break a potential Focus Sash against suicide leads such as Deoxys-S, Deoxys-A, and Greninja. Many balanced and stall teams rely on Sableye Mega Evolving on the first turn safely, making this the best move in many cases. Protect can be used instead of Fake Out to Mega Evolve safely and works well in conjunction with the residual damage from Will-O-Wisp, but it does not break Focus Sashes and can potentially give the opponent a free turn to set up. Toxic is another viable option, as since it can put switch-ins such as Primal Groudon, Primal Kyogre, and Fairies on a timer. Finally, Metal Burst can pick off powerful wallbreakers such as offensive Primal Groudon, Ho-Oh, Mega Salamence, and Rayquaza after some prior damage due to Mega Sableye's ability to tank a single hit from all of them. However, Mega Sableye's low HP stat makes it unable to OHKO them from full HP and leaves it at low HP after using Metal Burst.

Set Details
========

Sablenite is required to give Sableye enough bulk to check the physical attackers that it is supposed to check and give it (For clarity) Magic Bounce so that it can keep entry hazards off of the field. An EV spread of 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD with an Impish nature maximizes Mega Sableye's physical bulk, as since (Don't use "since" to mean "because") it is almost always used to check physical attackers, while minimizing residual damage from hazards should it fail to keep them off of the field. If using a move other than Fake Out in the fourth slot, a Bold nature should be used to minimize Foul Play damage from opposing Yveltal since because Sableye's own Foul Play does not take its Attack stat into consideration. An alternative EV spread of 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 SpD with an Impish or Bold nature allows Mega Sableye to avoid the 2HKO from Timid Mega Mewtwo Y's Fire Blast and almost always avoid the 2HKO from Naive Life Orb Deoxys-A's Ice Beam, but it takes away from Mega Sableye's much-needed physical bulk and makes it more difficult for Sableye to perform its main roles of keeping hazards off of the field and checking strong physical attackers at the same time. This spread avoids the 2HKO from these moves only if Stealth Rock and Spikes are off of the field, so secondary hazard control such as Defog is necessary when using this EV spread.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Sableye is almost always used on more defensive teams, as it clashes with many offensive Pokemon due to it halting momentum and having no offensive presence unless the opposing Pokemon has a high Attack stat. Mega Sableye effortlessly blocks entry hazards from almost every hazard setter in the tier except for Primal Groudon, Dialga, Mega Diancie, and Deoxys-S with Skill Swap, so switching in liberally to block hazards into them liberally is usually safe since none of the others can 2HKO it (This sentence was a bit confusing. Let me know if this is not the right sense). If running Fake Out or Protect, Mega Sableye should almost always be the lead of choice since because Mega Evolving safely early on in the game is required for many of the teams on which it is found. Sableye can remain in its normal form if having Will-O-Wisp as a priority move is deemed important, but keep in mind that the extra bulk and Magic Bounce are almost always more useful than the utility that Prankster offers. When using Mega Sableye, keeping it healthy is extremely important so that it can switch into both hazard setters and strong physical attackers. For this reason it is recommended to liberally use Recover on predicted switches. One should also be careful of using Will-O-Wisp too recklessly, since as it gives a free switch to Fire-types such as Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh. In addition, one should consider whether possible switch-ins are better off burned as opposed to paralyzed or poisoned if its Mega Sableye's teammates run alternate other status moves.

Team Options
========

Ho-Oh is probably the best teammate for Mega Sableye, as it appreciates Stealth Rock off the field, appreciates physical attackers being checked, and can check special attackers such as Xerneas and Darkrai in return thanks to its massive Special Defense stat. Lugia is also a great partner, (AC) as since it can check the powerful wallbreakers that beat Mega Sableye, such as Mega Salamence, Primal Groudon, and Rayquaza, and can keep its Multiscale intact with the help of Mega Sableye's ability to keep Stealth Rock off of the field helps keep Lugia's Multiscale intact. Reliable Defoggers such as Water Arceus and Latias provide almost airtight hazard control in conjunction with Mega Sableye's ability. Water Arceus notably checks Primal Groudon, Mega Salamence, Rayquaza, and Ho-Oh, while Latias is one of the few safe switch-ins to Primal Kyogre in the Uber tier. Primal Groudon works well with Mega Sableye, (AC) as since it can check Fairies and Primal Kyogre as well as set up Stealth Rock reliably. Ferrothorn is also a good teammate, (AC) as since it checks Primal Kyogre and certain Xerneas variants. The residual damage from Leech Seed and Will-O-Wisp also wear down opposing Pokemon quickly.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Taunt is a possible option on Mega Sableye since it to allows it to anti-lead even Skill Swap variants of Deoxys-S, (AC) and it can ease prediction against switch-ins such as Xerneas and Darkrai, but it is almost always just as beneficial to hit them with a status move. Counter deals more damage than Metal Burst, but it is illegal with Prankster meaning that Sableye loses a little bit of its utility before it Mega Evolves. Knock Off can cripple or weaken Xerneas, Darkrai, or Ho-Oh on the switch, but many items in the Uber tier cannot be removed, making it an inferior option in many cases. Sucker Punch can do decent damage to Latias and Latios and can whittle down checks without reliable recovery such as Primal Kyogre in a pinch, but it has little use outside of those scenarios.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fairy-types**: Xerneas can switch into Mega Sableye with little cost and either OHKO it right away with Moonblast or set up a Geomancy and threaten the rest of Mega Sableye's team. Fairy Arceus can easily switch in and threaten Mega Sableye with Judgment or Defog entry hazards away. Mega Diancie threatens Mega Sableye with Moonblast and can deflect status moves with its own Magic Bounce.

**Calm Mind Arceus Formes (Added this in to give the later "them" a clearer referent)**: Mega Sableye cannot 2HKO any of them with Foul Play, and they eventually break through and threaten the rest of Mega Sableye's teammates. Variants running Refresh cannot be worn down with Will-O-Wisp or Toxic either.

**Primal Kyogre**: Mega Sableye cannot 2HKO offensive variants and they can OHKO in return with Origin Pulse. Defensive variants can use Rest to rid themselves of status and can 2HKO Mega Sableye with Scald.

**Mega Salamence with Refresh**: Mega Salamence can easily break through Mega Sableye, and Mega Sableye has no chance of landing a 2HKO unless Mega Salamence uses an Adamant nature.

GP 2/2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)