Ubers Sableye

QC: Blue Jay / shrang / Fireburn
GP: GatoDelFuego (Stamped Psywaves's Amcheck) / frenzyplant

Overview
########

Sableye has a great ability before Mega Evolution as well as after it; Magic Bounce is extremely useful and Sableye is the only non-offensive user of it, which sets it apart from other Pokemon with the ability. Furthermore, it has a good typing, which leaves it with only a weakness to Fairy-type attacks. It also has a good supportive movepool that provides reliable recovery among other things. Mega Sableye has great defenses that allow it to completely stop several threatening attackers, such as Mega Kangaskhan. However, Sableye is extremely slow once it has Mega Evolved, and its mediocre HP stat undermines its good defenses. Additionally, Sableye has quite low offensive stats, and despite its good bulk, Sableye is still unable to check several physical attackers, such as offensive Groudon and Mega Salamence.

Utility
########
name: Utility
move 1: Foul Play / Knock Off
move 2: Will-O-Wisp
move 3: Recover
move 4: Taunt
ability: Prankster
item: Sablenite / Leftovers
evs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 SpD
nature: Impish

Moves
========

Foul Play hits physically offensive attackers such as Deoxys-A and Mega Salamence very hard. Knock Off can be used over Foul Play, as it cripples Pokemon that are item-reliant, as well as doing quite a lot of damage to those weak to it and being a generally safe move to use if you're unsure what the opponent is about do. Will-O-Wisp cripples all physical attackers bar those immune to it, leaving their attacks half as powerful. Recover allows Sableye to recover from damage done by foes. Taunt is a good support move that prevents the target from setting up. Protect is another option that helps Sableye Mega Evolve safely without needing to take a hit, but it does not deal damage, unlike Fake Out. Fake Out is an alternative to Protect and can be used instead, as it helps Sableye Mega Evolve without taking a hit and deals damage too, but it doesn't affect Ghost-types and deals minimal damage.

Set Details
========

The investment in HP gives a boost to Sableye's bulk, and the Special Defense investment ensures that Sableye is only 3HKOed by Fire Blast from Mega Mewtwo-Y, which it can proceed to beat with a STAB attack. The rest of the EVs go into Defense to help Sableye beat physical attackers. Leftovers can be used over Sablenite to give Sableye passive recovery and let it continue to utilize Prankster, unlike its Mega Evolution.

Usage Tips
========

Sableye is a good switch-in to a handful of physical attackers, such as Mega Mewtwo X, anti-lead Deoxys formes, and Arceus, as it can burn them after and eventually Recover if needed. However, be careful with directly switching it in; because of its unreliable bulk when not Mega-Evolved, it is recommended that you switch Sableye in after a teammate has been beaten by a physical attacker. Make sure to use Knock Off whenever you're not sure what the opponent is going to do, as it is a safe move in general. Using Knock Off against Pokemon that rely on their item, such as Latios and Latias, is also good. Once Sableye has Mega Evolved, it's handy to switch it into a predicted status move, as it will bounce it back. Also, don't always Mega Evolve Sableye immediately; if there are several physical attackers on the opposing team that can be crippled with a burn, make sure to keep Sableye from Mega Evolving, as it will be able to pull off a priority Will-O-Wisp against all of them. Use Taunt when a defensive Pokemon is on the field, as it'll prevent it from using any status attack.

Team Options
========

Pokemon such as Mega Gengar, Primal Groudon, and specially defensive Dialga are good teammates, as they can beat Fairy-types. Physical tanks that beat the physical attackers that trouble Sableye, such as Giratina, also make excellent partners. Partners that appreciate Mega Sableye bouncing back hazards, such as Lugia and Ho-Oh, make good teammates too. Also, relatively slow Volt Switch or U-turn users, such as Scizor, make good partners, as they grant Sableye a safe switch into physical attackers. Last but not least, specially defensive Pokemon such as Blissey can take on the offensive Pokemon that threaten Sableye.

Other Options
########

Toxic is a good support move that hits walls, wearing them down, as well as hitting Pokemon immune to burns, but Taunt is generally better to assist with wearing these sorts of Pokemon down. Counter is an option to beat physically offensive Pokemon with greater ease, but it has no use against special attackers and doesn't do a lot of damage anyway because of Sableye's low HP stat. Trick along with a Choice item can be used to stop defensive Pokemon, but is only useful against one Pokemon throughout the match and is generally done better by other users of the move, such as Gothitelle.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fairy-types**: Fairy-types such as Sylveon, Xerneas, and Mega Mawile can beat Sableye easily with one of their STAB moves, but Mega Mawile has to be wary of Will-O-Wisp.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Primal Groudon, Ho-Oh, and Blaziken are immune to Will-O-Wisp and can proceed to beat Sableye with their STAB attacks.

Last edited:

PISTOLERO

I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
Hello, the problem with Sableye is that you have to pick and choose which Stealth Rock users you want to beat.

0- SpA Primal Groudon Lava Plume vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye in Sun: 148-175 (48.6 - 57.5%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO
8 SpA Dialga Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye: 178-210 (58.5 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Primal Groudon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 111-132 (36.5 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 135-159 (44.4 - 52.3%) -- 14.8% chance to 2HKO

So with Lava Plume Groudon can easily fish for a burn and outlast you whilst you either get 2HKOed or Toxic it then die, while defensive Dialga can potentially 2HKO you with Draco Meteor as you switch in, and offensive ones can just blast you with invested Draco Meteor:

252+ SpA Life Orb Dialga Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye: 298-352 (98 - 115.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

You should also go into a lot of detail about when it's best to Mega Evolve, as you may want to Wisp a Salamence or an Extremekiller later on in the game. Two sets, one for Mega and one for non-Mega, might be in order too.

Everyone keeps sniping all the analyses I want to do later, first Arceus-Ground, then Altaria, then this :(

Hello, the problem with Sableye is that you have to pick and choose which Stealth Rock users you want to beat.

0- SpA Primal Groudon Lava Plume vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye in Sun: 148-175 (48.6 - 57.5%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO
8 SpA Dialga Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye: 178-210 (58.5 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Primal Groudon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 111-132 (36.5 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 135-159 (44.4 - 52.3%) -- 14.8% chance to 2HKO

So with Lava Plume Groudon can easily fish for a burn and outlast you whilst you either get 2HKOed or Toxic it then die, while defensive Dialga can potentially 2HKO you with Draco Meteor as you switch in, and offensive ones can just blast you with invested Draco Meteor:

252+ SpA Life Orb Dialga Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye: 298-352 (98 - 115.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

You should also go into a lot of detail about when it's best to Mega Evolve, as you may want to Wisp a Salamence or an Extremekiller later on in the game. Two sets, one for Mega and one for non-Mega, might be in order too.

Everyone keeps sniping all the analyses I want to do later, first Arceus-Ground, then Altaria, then this :(
Hi there,

I get what you're trying to say. But I never mentioned it anywhere, so is this an advice to mention somewhere? Please tell me :)

Normal-Sableye isn't THAT viable imo, it has far too weak overall stats in order to be, viable, I think. The only thing that's really good about it is Prankster, which can burn physical attackers, but even they can break through;

+1 252+ Atk burned Salamence Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Sableye: 165-195 (54.2 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

With only 4 Defense investment, it has an actual chance to OHKO Sableye.

(sorry for taking lol)

Last edited:
I do not feel Sableeye is that viable in Ubers. It's HP pulls it down and it's easily 2HKO'd or even OHKO'd by lots of common threats in ubers.

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I do not feel Sableeye is that viable in Ubers. It's HP pulls it down and it's easily 2HKO'd or even OHKO'd by lots of common threats in ubers.
It is viable in Ubers. Try it out first ^_^! It has physical bulk and access to recovery and Will-O-Wisp for crippling physical attackers. Knock Off can help with removing items or Foul Play can hurt boosting physical attackers hard, not to mention they're both STAB attacks. The Ghost typing is also nice for Extremekiller Arceus.

Opening this into QC stage. Please check this as this is my first Ubers analysis and I hope the quality will be okay.

In C&C, when you mention Magic Bounce, remove Absol and replace it with Diancie; the former is not viable at all while the latter is very good.

Will probably add more as I have good experience with this mon.

In C&C, when you mention Magic Bounce, remove Absol and replace it with Diancie; the former is not viable at all while the latter is very good.

Will probably add more as I have good experience with this mon.
Thanks, I completely forgot about this thing, as I never use it / barely see it.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'd probably dump Toxic to OO and slash Foul Play first. There are a lot of things in Ubers that don't care about Knock Off so you'll usually appreciate Foul Play deterring further setup from physical attackers more. It's also usually a pretty decent deterrent to Groudon so Toxic is rather unnecessary. I'll look at this more later.

Primal Groudon absolutely needs to be mentioned as a teammate that handles Fairies btw

I'd probably dump Toxic to OO and slash Foul Play first. There are a lot of things in Ubers that don't care about Knock Off so you'll usually appreciate Foul Play deterring further setup from physical attackers more. It's also usually a pretty decent deterrent to Groudon so Toxic is rather unnecessary. I'll look at this more later.

Primal Groudon absolutely needs to be mentioned as a teammate that handles Fairies btw
Done.

i think you should slash leftovers with sablenite. regular and mega sab have enough similarities to be analysed under 1 set, just be sure to emphasize mega's increased special bulk and prankster --> magic bounce. prankster validates regular sab enough to pull it from oo, at any rate

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the move order get decided before any actions are executed? That means that even if Sableye Mega Evolves, it can still get Prankster on that turn, won't it? That also means that it can pull off status first, and bounce back anything the opponent can throw at it too. If my speculation holds true, this should be mentioned in usage tips.

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've toyed with a spread of 248 HP / 124+ Def / 136 SpD to allow Mega Sableye to not be 2HKOd by MMY's Fire Blast but I'm not sure about any notable physically defensive issues? The spread allows it to semi-reliably check Mewtwo if it evolves early which is pretty cool. Thoughts?

i think you should slash leftovers with sablenite. regular and mega sab have enough similarities to be analysed under 1 set, just be sure to emphasize mega's increased special bulk and prankster --> magic bounce. prankster validates regular sab enough to pull it from oo, at any rate
Done.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the move order get decided before any actions are executed? That means that even if Sableye Mega Evolves, it can still get Prankster on that turn, won't it? That also means that it can pull off status first, and bounce back anything the opponent can throw at it too. If my speculation holds true, this should be mentioned in usage tips.
Yes, first turn, even it it did mega-evolve on that turn, Prankster works out for the first turn.

I've toyed with a spread of 248 HP / 124+ Def / 136 SpD to allow Mega Sableye to not be 2HKOd by MMY's Fire Blast but I'm not sure about any notable physically defensive issues? The spread allows it to semi-reliably check Mewtwo if it evolves early which is pretty cool. Thoughts?
Looks good, though I'd like to have QC opinions first before actually adding it because it does lose physical bulk that prevents it from fuctioning as good as a physical check.

not really;

252 SpA Mega Mewtwo Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sableye: 144-170 (47.3 - 55.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
not really;

252 SpA Mega Mewtwo Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sableye: 144-170 (47.3 - 55.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
In my opinion, factoring rocks is actually not a particularly likely situation since you are using it to keep rocks off but idk

In my opinion, factoring rocks is actually not a particularly likely situation since you are using it to keep rocks off but idk
252 SpA Mega Mewtwo Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sableye: 230-271 (75.6 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

In the beginning, you can't bounce rocks, only when Mega so there are gonna be situations rocks are actually gonna come up.

252 SpA Mega Mewtwo Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye: 107-126 (35.1 - 41.4%) -- 73.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Mega Mewtwo Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sableye: 230-271 (75.6 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

In the beginning, you can't bounce rocks, only when Mega so there are gonna be situations rocks are actually gonna come up.
What are you calcing?

He's also calcing non-evolved. I.e. 65 SpD vs a hundred something.
No, i've set the SpD to 115. In fact, the main set is 252/252+/4 SpD, so I've been calcing 4 SpD.

252 SpA Mega Mewtwo Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye: 107-126 (35.1 - 41.4%) -- 73.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

What are you calcing?
Like I said, I set the SpD to 115 without investment, just like the main set.

Blue Jay

The notorious Good Wife
is a Contributor Alumnus
I like the EV spread that can take MMY. It doesn't seem to make Mega Sableye any worse at checking the main threats it can check (like Ekiller and Kanga) really, only threats that it can't really handle in the first place (offensive Groudon, Ho-Oh, Megamence).

In the Overview, mention that there are a handful of physical attackers Mega Sableye isn't at all good at checking.

Make sure the Moves section reflects that Foul Play is the main attack. Leave out the first 3 points of the Set Details, instead explain the new EV spread (how it helps to check MMY). That section is mostly about what the EVs do and alternative items/EV spreads. In Usage Tips, be more specific about what to switch into; Sableye definitely is not safe switching into Blaziken, Ho-Oh, Megamence, etc. Mention anti-leading Deoxys formes, being careful when not Mega Evolved due to low bulk, and again Foul Play/Knock Off should be played similarly. In Team Options, some other physical tank is needed to handle Primal Groudon, Ho-Oh, Blaziken and Megamence. Remove the Trick Room mention; it's quite team-specific, and you don't want another niche mon besides Sableye. Mention using mons that appreciate anti-hazard support as partners, since Magic Bounce is a main selling point.

In Other Options, Toxic, Counter and Trick (in that order) are the only Moves ever worth considering.

Checks & Counters should be Fairies (Xerneas, Fairyceus, Mega Diancie, Sylveon), Fire types (Ho-Oh, Primal Groudon, Blaziken) and strong special attackers. Sableye's bulk is also in no way monstrous.

QC approved 1/3

Sorry it took me a bit to get to this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)