OU Salamence

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

QC [3/3] - Jukain / AM / liberty32
GP [2/2] - The Dutch Plumberjack / Weebl

Overview
########

Once the king of ORAS OU, Salamence has been left with little to do in the tier after the banning of Salamencite. However, its all-around high stats, great movepool, good typing, and useful ability in Intimidate give it a niche as a bulky Defogger that can threaten the majority of the bulky entry hazard users in the tier. Although it cannot beat many short-lived entry hazard users such as Garchomp and Mamoswine, Salamence's longevity allows it to hang around throughout the match and gives it many chances to support the team. Overall, while Salamence is by no means the best Defogger in OU, it carves out a niche for itself with its solid combination of attributes.

Defensive
########
name: Defensive
move 1: Defog
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Hydro Pump / Earthquake
move 4: Roost
ability: Intimidate
item: Leftovers
evs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 Spe
nature: Timid / Jolly

Moves
========

Defog allows Salamence to perform its primary role of hazard control. Salamence's next two moves allow it to threaten common entry hazard users. Fire Blast roasts Spikes users such as Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Klefki, as well as attaining coverage on Scizor and Excadrill, both of which are easily checked by Salamence. The next attacking move is a choice between Hydro Pump and Earthquake. Hydro Pump threatens Ground- and Fire-type Pokemon such as Hippowdon, Gliscor, Landorus-T, Rhyperior, and Talonflame and also deals meaningful damage to Heatran. On the other hand, Earthquake hits Heatran, Tyranitar, and specially defensive Jirachi for significantly more damage than Fire Blast does and also boasts perfect accuracy. Finally, Roost increases Salamence's longevity and allows it to stall out weaker Stone Edges from Pokemon such as Hippowdon and Landorus-T.

Set Details
========

80 Speed EVs combined with a Speed-boosting nature allow Salamence to outspeed everything up to Jolly Diggersby, including Pokemon such as Timid Heatran (which can Taunt Salamence before it uses Defog), Adamant Lucario, and Adamant Excadrill outside of sand. Then, HP is maximized, and the rest of the EVs are put into Defense for optimal bulk. A Timid nature is preferred when using Hydro Pump, to minimize damage from Foul Play and confusion, but Salamence prefers a Jolly nature when using Earthquake, as with it, Salamence is guaranteed to 2HKO Tyranitar without Stealth Rock damage and OHKO specially defensive Heatran. Salamence never needs a nature that decreases its bulk or Speed, because Fire Blast still deals enough damage with a Special Attack-lowering nature. Leftovers is preferred over alternatives such as Rocky Helmet to provide longevity, which is important because of Salamence's Stealth Rock weakness. Leftovers also helps Salamence take various attacks that would otherwise 2HKO it, such as Life Orb Diggersby's Return.

Usage Tips
========

Salamence should be switched directly into any entry hazard user it can beat, such as Landorus-T, Ferrothorn, Heatran, Jirachi, Empoleon, Klefki, or Skarmory, before it sets up Stealth Rock, ensuring that Salamence does not take any crippling Stealth Rock damage, and then either use Defog or attack it. Make sure Salamence avoids status, as poison and burn damage severely cut its longevity, while paralysis prevents it from Roost stalling moves such as Stone Edge from the likes of Hippowdon and Landorus-T. On the flip side, Salamence loves having its foes crippled by Toxic, which helps it stall them out easily.

Team Options
========

Salamence fits onto bulky defensive teams that appreciate a Defogger that isn't afraid of bulky entry hazard users. Cleric support is mandatory to peel burns or Toxic poison from Salamence; Chansey has good defensive synergy with Salamence and can use Toxic to poison foes, while Clefable can switch into dangerous Dragon-types and threaten them with STAB Moonblast or set up on bulky Water-type Pokemon with Calm Mind. Celebi is also a good partner, as it can handle the Water-types that like to switch into Salamence while also offering Heal Bell support. In return, Salamence can handle Pokemon such as Scizor and Ferrothorn, which see Celebi as setup fodder.

Beyond clerics, Heatran has very good defensive synergy with Salamence and can check threats such as Latios, Latias, and Clefable. In return, Salamence can threaten Ground-types with its Hydro Pump and can take Fighting- and Water-type attacks easily as well. Specially defensive Skarmory can check Dragon-types such as Latios, Latias, and Garchomp as well as Fairy-types such as Altaria, Diancie, and Gardevoir. Additionally, Salamence carrying Defog frees up a slot Skarmory's moveset to fit on Spikes or another support move. Between the two, most physical attackers are checked, and Salamence can handle Fire-types that threaten Skarmory as well as check strong Water-types such as Choice Specs Keldeo. Finally, bulky Talonflame appreciates Salamence's role as a bulky Defogger and ability to switch into physical walls such as Landorus-T and Hippowdon and to threaten Heatran. In return, Talonflame can set up on Fairy-types and threaten Pokemon such as Celebi, which can stall Salamence out.

Other Options
########

Salamence has a wide movepool, but not many options are viable for it in OU. Toxic could be considered to cripple Pokemon such as Slowbro, Hippowdon, and specially defensive Talonflame, but the opportunity cost of losing valuable coverage makes it a subpar choice. Dragon Tail could be considered over Hydro Pump or Earthquake if the team has adequate means of dealing with Heatran, it allows Salamence to phaze Pokemon that try to set up on it and also deters Dragon-types such as Latios from freely switching into Salamence. Finally, Salamence can use Refresh to remove crippling status, but because all four of Salamence's moveslots are vital, it's usually better off being paired with a cleric.

Alternatively, Salamence can use a Choice Scarf set with Moxie or a boosting Dragon Dance set. The former is not recommended, because of the prominence of Fairies, which can take advantage of Salamence when it's locked into Outrage, whereas the latter is outclassed by Dragonite, which has better bulk and finds more opportunities to set up, thanks to Multiscale.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Stealth Rock Leads**: Stealth Rock Clefable is the premier counter to Salamence, as it can beat Salamence in a one-on-one situation and prevents it from doing its job as an "immediate" Defogger. If Salamence isn't carrying Hydro Pump or Toxic, Hippowdon can force it into a standstill, which will eventually end in favor of Hippowdon because Stealth Rock has more PP than Defog does.

**Fairy-types**: Salamence is complete setup fodder for Pokemon such as Clefable, Sylveon, and Azumarill, which can all threaten it with their powerful STAB attacks.

**Hard-hitters**: Although the nature of Salamence's set makes it hard to prevent it from Defogging, Pokemon such as Latios, Latias, Garchomp, and offensive Starmie can switch into it as it Defogs and threaten an OHKO.

**Bulky Setup**: Pokemon such as Slowbro, Gyarados, Keldeo, specially defensive Gliscor, and Celebi can take or stall out Salamence's attacks and set up on it.

**Water-types**: Gyarados, Keldeo, and Rotom-W all take little damage from Salamence's attacks and can either cripple it with status or set up on it.

Last edited:

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
- Salamence likes Pokemon that can handle Fairy types such as Mega Altaria, Azumarill, or Clefable
Those mons handle Dragon types, not Fairies. To handle Fairies there's Jirachi, Empoleon, Heatran.
- The Speed EVs combined with a Jolly Nature allow Salamence to outspeed Pokemon such as Timid Heatran (which can Taunt before Salamence Defogs), Adamant Lucario, Excadrill outside of Sand, and more, all of which it can threaten with its two-move coverage
This could be rephrased to just say that 76 Spe Jolly Salamence outspeeds max Speed Jolly/Timid base 77s, and max Speed neutral natured base 90s, and the mentioned mons as examples. You also tie with max Speed Jolly Diggersby if that's a thing(Diggersby analysis says its a possibility).

Steel-types literally go perfect with this thing, so you should mention that. Salamence is weak to Ice, Rock, Dragon, and Fairy-type attacks, all of which steel resists, while the steel-type is weak to Fire, Ground, and Fighting-type attacks, all of which Salamence resists. I can see Scizor, Mega Scizor, Excadrill, and Mega Metagross working, to an extent, but I find Excadrill to be just a little better in tandem with Salamence. Of course, Excadrill doesn't resist Ice, so that's a bit of a hole in the plan, but they can form a small hazard control core.

A couple of thoughts:

1) Was this approved? I saw in the index thread where you asked for permission, but I didn't see where someone gave you the okay. I actually like the idea of a defensive Defog Salamence, though, so I won't push the issue. Just curious.

2) Unless you're planning on doing a full revamp, you don't need Overview, Other Options, and Checks and Counters sections. You'd just write it up as a separate set and it'll be added to the on-site analysis.

3) Okay, so actual set advice. I'd personally add a mention of Dragon Claw in Moves, just to have a reliable STAB to toss around that gets great neutral coverage with your chosen coverage moves. It'd probably be a secondary option, though, since hitting common hazard users with both Earthquake and Fire Blast is useful. Also, since this is a single set analysis, you can just mention Toxic in Moves as well. Lastly, you could move 4 EVs from Def to Spe to beat Jolly Diggersby, as was mentioned earlier. Salamence isn't the best Diggersby check, but it can knock off ~40% per Earthquake or up to ~50% with Dragon Claw, letting it check weakened ones. Besides, 1 less Def point isn't going to break the bank.

i think this should be a full revamp though because i don't think any of the other sets are viable

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
follow what trc said, i would have deleted the salamence analysis entirely if this wasn't brought up

Chomp can outspeed and SR while also taking shit all from its current moves + threaten it with its stab. Mamo can also forces it out and set up SR

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
^ what he said.
Those Fairies belong in C&C, in Team Options mention of mons that make good team members should be made, only mentioning mons that give it trouble and not telling what would handle them is incomplete.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
explain the moves on the set in moves (ie the coverage)

team options could use some expansion, i'm sure there's more you can come up especially due to how niche of a mon fat mence is. checks and counters as well, this thing is walled by latis, gyara, keld, chomp, rotom, etc and those warrant mentions

1/3

Sadly, for use outside of Pokémon Showdown, unless one is willing and able to breed all the way back from Gen 4, and until Defog becomes available again, Defog isn't a possible move to use in the games.
I just think that should be pointed out, for any who like to use these sets in the game.

For those who intend to go with the Jolly nature, I'd also recommend looking into considering physical moves as an option, with Dragon Claw or Outrage (for those daring enough) being a STAB move, while Fire Fang can be used a Physical, less powerful, but accurate alternative, and Aqua Tail can be used as a Physical, more accurate alternative to Hydro Pump.

Though I guess that Fire Fang does have the disadvantage of triggering Iron Barbs, so I think Heat Wave is also a possible more accurate alternative to Fire Blast, while Flamethrower has 100% accuracy at the cost of extra power. Depends on what matters more to the user I guess.

I'm going for a Jolly nature, since Salamence has a higher Attack, and that also works best with Mega Salamence too.

Sadly, for use outside of Pokémon Showdown, unless one is willing and able to breed all the way back from Gen 4, and until Defog becomes available again, Defog isn't a possible move to use in the games.
I just think that should be pointed out, for any who like to use these sets in the game.

For those who intend to go with the Jolly nature, I'd also recommend looking into considering physical moves as an option, with Dragon Claw or Outrage (for those daring enough) being a STAB move, while Fire Fang can be used a Physical, less powerful, but accurate alternative, and Aqua Tail can be used as a Physical, more accurate alternative to Hydro Pump.

Though I guess that Fire Fang does have the disadvantage of triggering Iron Barbs, so I think Heat Wave is also a possible more accurate alternative to Fire Blast, while Flamethrower has 100% accuracy at the cost of extra power. Depends on what matters more to the user I guess.

I'm going for a Jolly nature, since Salamence has a higher Attack, and that also works best with Mega Salamence too.
Yea I agree with you that Defog really isn't possible in games and it is really annoying to see it on sets now, but unfortunately that's just how this works. It's stupid but if anything is "technically possible" than it can be put in the analysis. I'll try not to go on a rant here but let's just say that I try to be as realistic as possible with sets.

Oh something to contribute to the analysis. Fine uh, might be worth mentioning why Dragon dance, choice scarf, and a full on a attacking set are bad in OO, give mention to refresh, and more expansion on team options.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Why does this matter? The analyses do not care about availability since it's assumed that you're playing on Showdown and it's pointless fluff to mention it.

Why does this matter? The analyses do not care about availability since it's assumed that you're playing on Showdown and it's pointless fluff to mention it.
He knows but i hope u realize that pokemon should be played on the systems more than simulators. I'd almost consider the handheld games a completely different metagame. And he knows that but it's the truth and it irritates a lot of people that they can't defog on some of these amazing pokemon. Again trying not to rant here but a lot of people want to play the game as legitimately as possible.
EDIT: Agent Gibbs last time i'm debating about this on this thread. This is also the reason why "I, personal preference" don't play on simulators that often. I only do it to get experience for writing an analysis. If you want to debate about this then PM me but i'm not going to fill up this analysis. And I never said that pokemon can't be played more on the stimulator than a cartridge, but pokemon is a game first not a simulator.

Last edited:
Reactions: JES
Who says that Pokemon has to be played on the systems more than the simulators? The entire point of simulators is to remove the limitations of the cartridges to provide the optimal competitive experience. If anything, we have far more of a reason to play on simulators than cartridges. Our metagames are held on our simulators, our rules and tiers are enforced on our simulators, and our stats are taken from our simulators. Moreover, if you consider the handheld game to be a completely different metagame, then that's even less of a reason for us to mention the cartridge limitations in the analysis since we only write analyses for our own metagames. Besides, there's a whole lot more than just Defog that's difficult to get in-game, but we don't make exceptions for those things either.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Quality discussion above me 10/10

Tokyo Tom I'd mention Clefable under team options for Dragon immunity and cleric support.
Heatran has very good defensive synergy with Salamence and can check threats such as Latios, Latias, and Clefable, while threatening the bulky water-types both hate with Toxic.
I mean, granted this isn't the stage to argue semantics but Toxic hitting a water type isn't exactly threatening more than just hindering these targets of Toxic. I'd just phrase it better to show Toxic along with general status utility can help Salamence function a bit better to provide more Defog and Recovery opportunities.

Along with Clefable just make mention of status absorbers by virtue of the sets and abilities they have under team options. Magic Guard Clefable, Suicune, Reuniclus, CM Mega Slowbro are some to add on considering the type of teams you would use this on have the option of using these as win conditions.

Under usage tips emphasize about not getting paralyzed, because the attributes of stalling out Stone Edges from the likes of Hippowdon among other traits goes out the window if this happens. Yes you could theoretically have your cleric heal this status off but like a lot of hazard setters outside of stuff like Excadrill it absolutely sucks when hazards can't be removed simply from being outpaced due to paralysis.

QC 2/3 when you've done all of this.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove
add (Capitalize)
(comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)

Overview
########

Once the king of ORAS OU, the banning of Salamencite has left Salamence with little else to do in the tier. However, its all-around high stats, great movepool, good typing, and useful ability in Intimidate give it a niche as a bulky Defogger that can threaten the majority of the bulky entry hazard users in the tier. Although it cannot beat many short-lived entry hazard users such as Garchomp and Mamoswine, Salamence's longevity allows it to hang around throughout the match and gives it many chances to support the team. Overall, while Salamence is by no means the best Defogger in OU, it carves out a niche for itself with its solid combination of attributes.

Defensive
########

Moves
========

Defog is mandatory to allow Salamence to achieve perform its primary role of hazard control. Salamence's next two moves allow it to threaten common entry hazard users. Fire Blast roasts Spikes users such as Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Klefki, as well as attaining coverage on Scizor and Excadrill, both of which are easily checked by Salamence. The next attacking move is a choice between Hydro Pump and Earthquake. Hydro Pump threatens Ground- and Fire-type Pokemon such as Hippowdon, Gliscor, Landorus-T, Rhyperior, and Talonflame (RC) and also deals meaningful damage to Heatran. On the other hand, Earthquake hits Heatran, Tyranitar, and specially defensive Jirachi for significantly harder more damage (RC) and also boasts perfect accuracy. Finally, Roost increases Salamence's longevity and also allows it to stall out weaker Stone Edges from Pokemon such as Hippowdon or and Landorus-T.

Set Details
========

Salamence's 80 Speed EVs combined with a Speed-boosting Nature allow it Salamence to outspeed everything up to Jolly Diggersby, including Pokemon such as Timid Heatran (which can Taunt before Salamence Defogs before it uses Defog), Adamant Lucario, (AC) and Adamant (at least I assume you specifically this one, the way it was written the 'outside of sand' part went with Lucario as well which obv doesn't make sense) Excadrill outside of sand. Then, HP is maximized and the rest of the EVs are put into Defense for optimal bulk. A Timid nature is preferred when using Hydro Pump to minimize damage from Foul Play or and confusion, but Salamence prefers a Jolly nature when using Earthquake to guarantee a 2HKO on Tyranitar without Stealth Rocks Rock and guarantee an OHKO on specially defensive Heatran with them it. Salamence never needs a nature that decreases its bulk or Speed because Fire Blast still deals enough damage with a negative nature. Leftovers is preferred over alternatives such as Rocky Helmet to provide longevity, which is important because of Salamence's Stealth Rock weakness. Leftovers also helps Salamence take various attacks that it would otherwise be 2HKOed by it, (ex. such as Life Orb Diggersby's Return).

Usage Tips
========

Salamence should be switched directly into any hazard user it can beat, (AC) (the list includes such as Landorus-T, Ferrothorn, Heatran, Jirachi, Empoleon, Klefki, and or Skarmory, (comma) before they set up Steath Stealth Rock, ensuring Salamence does not take any crippling hazard damage, and then either use Defog or attack them. Make sure Salamence avoids status, as poison and burn damage severely cut its longevity (RC) while paralysis prevents it from Roost stalling things moves like Stone Edge from the likes of Hippowdon or and Landorus-T. On the flip side, Salamence loves having its foes crippled by Toxic, which helps it stall them out easily.

Team Options
========

Salamence fits onto bulky defensive teams that appreciate a Defogger that isn't afraid of bulky entry hazard users. Cleric support is mandatory to peel burns or Toxic poison from Salamence; Chansey has good defensive synergy with Salamence and can inflict foes with Toxic poison, while Clefable can switch into dangerous Dragon-types and threaten them with STAB Moonblast (RC) or set up on bulky Water-type Pokemon with Calm Mind. Celebi is also a good partner, as it can handle the Water-types that like to switch into Salamence (RC) as well as while also offering Heal Bell support. In return, Salamence can handle Pokemon such as Scizor or and Ferrothorn, (AC) who which see Celebi as setup fodder.

Beyond clerics, Heatran has very good defensive synergy with Salamence and can check threats such as Latios, Latias, and Clefable. In return, Salamence can threaten Ground-types with its Hydro Pump, while taking Fighting- and Water-type attacks easily as well. Specially defensive Skarmory can check Dragon-types such as Latios, Latias, and Garchomp (RC) as well as Fairy-types such as Altaria, Diancie, and Gardevoir. Additionally, Salamence carrying Defog frees up Skarmory's moveset to fit Spikes or another support move. Between the two, most physical attackers are checked, and Salamence can handle Fire-types that threaten Skarmory (RC) as well as check strong Water-types such as Choice Specs Keldeo. Finally, bulky Talonflame appreciates Salamence's role as a bulky Defogger and ability to switch into physical walls such as Landorus-T and Hippowdon, as well as its ability to threaten Heatran. In return, Talonflame can set up on Fairy-types and threaten Pokemon such as Celebi, (AC) who which could can stall Salamence out.

Other Options
########

Salamence has a wide movepool, but not many options are viable for it in OU. Toxic could be considered to cripple Pokemon such as Slowbro, Hippowdon, and specially defensive Talonflame, but the opportunity cost of losing valuable coverage makes it a sub par subpar choice. Dragon Tail could be considered over Hydro Pump or Earthquake if the team has adequate means of dealing with Heatran (RC) and allows Salamence to phaze out (either 'phaze' or 'force out') Pokemon that try to set up on it while deterring Dragon-types such as Latios from freely switching in. Finally, Salamence can use Refresh to remove crippling status, but because all four of Salamence's moveslots are vital, it's usually better off pairing it being paired with a cleric.

Alternatively, Salamence can use a Choice Scarf set with Moxie or a boosting Dragon Dance set. The former is not recommended because of the prominence of Fairies, which can take advantage of Salamence when it's locked into Outrage, whereas the latter is outclassed by Dragonite, which has better bulk and finds more opportunities to set up with Multiscale.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Stealth Rock Leads**: Stealth Rock Clefable is the premier counter, because it can beat Salamence in a one-on-one situation and prevents it from doing its job as an "immediate" Defogger. If Salamence isn't carrying Hydro Pump or Toxic, Hippowdon can force it into a standstill, which will eventually end in favour favor of Hippowdon because Stealth Rock has more PP than Defog.

**Fairy-types**: Salamence is complete set-up setup fodder for Pokemon such as Clefable, Sylveon, and Azumarill, who which can all threaten it with their powerful STAB attacks.

**Hard-hitters**: Although the nature of Salamence's set makes it hard to prevent from Defogging, Pokemon such as Latios, Latias, Garchomp, and offensive Starmie can switch into it as it Defogs and threaten an OHKO.

**Bulky Set-Up Setup**: Pokemon such as Slowbro, Gyarados, Keldeo, SpDef Gliscor, or and Celebi can take or stall out Salamence's attacks and set up on it.

**Water-types**: Gyarados, Keldeo, and Rotom-W all take little from Salamence's attacks and can either cripple it with status or set up on it.

GP 1/2

Last edited:

Weebl

Hey!
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
add/(un)Capitalize
remove
(comments)
Overview
########

Once the king of ORAS OU, (dangling modifier; it implies that the banning of Salamencite was once the king of OU) Salamence has been the banning of Salamencite has left Salamence with little else to do in the tier after the banning of Salamencite. However, its all-around high stats, great movepool, good typing, and useful ability in Intimidate give it a niche as a bulky Defogger that can threaten the majority of the bulky entry hazard users in the tier. Although it cannot beat many short-lived entry hazard users such as Garchomp and Mamoswine, Salamence's longevity allows it to hang around throughout the match and gives it many chances to support the team. Overall, while Salamence is by no means the best Defogger in OU, it carves out a niche for itself with its solid combination of attributes.

Defensive
########

Moves
========

Defog is mandatory to allows Salamence to perform its primary role of hazard control. Salamence's next two moves allow it to threaten common entry hazard users. Fire Blast roasts Spikes users such as Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Klefki, as well as attaining coverage on Scizor and Excadrill, both of which are easily checked by Salamence. The next attacking move is a choice between Hydro Pump and Earthquake. Hydro Pump threatens Ground- and Fire-type Pokemon such as Hippowdon, Gliscor, Landorus-T, Rhyperior, and Talonflame and also deals meaningful damage to Heatran. On the other hand, Earthquake hits Heatran, Tyranitar, and specially defensive Jirachi for significantly more damage than Fire Blast does and also boasts perfect accuracy. Finally, Roost increases Salamence's longevity and allows it to stall out weaker Stone Edges from Pokemon such as Hippowdon and Landorus-T.

Set Details
========

80 Speed EVs combined with a Speed-boosting nature allow Salamence to outspeed everything up to Jolly Diggersby, including Pokemon such as Timid Heatran (which can Taunt Salamence before it uses Defog), Adamant Lucario, and Adamant Excadrill outside of sand. Then, HP is maximized, (AC) and the rest of the EVs are put into Defense for optimal bulk. A Timid nature is preferred when using Hydro Pump, (AC) to minimize damage from Foul Play and confusion, but Salamence prefers a Jolly nature when using Earthquake, (AC) as with it, (AC) Salamence is to guaranteed to a 2HKO on Tyranitar without Stealth Rock damage and guarantee an OHKO on specially defensive Heatran with it. Salamence never needs a nature that decreases its bulk or Speed, (AC) because Fire Blast still deals enough damage with a Special Attack-lowering negative nature. Leftovers is preferred over alternatives such as Rocky Helmet to provide longevity, which is important because of Salamence's Stealth Rock weakness. Leftovers also helps Salamence take various attacks that would otherwise 2HKO it, such as Life Orb Diggersby's Return.

Usage Tips
========

Salamence should be switched directly into any entry hazard user it can beat, such as Landorus-T, Ferrothorn, Heatran, Jirachi, Empoleon, Klefki, or Skarmory, before they it sets (pronoun-antecedent agreement) up Stealth Rock, ensuring that Salamence does not take any crippling Stealth Rock hazard damage, and then either use Defog or attack it them. (I'm feeling "go for an attack" here.) Make sure Salamence avoids status, as poison and burn damage severely cut its longevity, (AC) while paralysis prevents it from Roost stalling moves such as Stone Edge from the likes of Hippowdon and Landorus-T. On the flip side, Salamence loves having its foes crippled by Toxic, which helps it stall them out easily.

Team Options
========

Salamence fits onto bulky defensive teams that appreciate a Defogger that isn't afraid of bulky entry hazard users. Cleric support is mandatory to peel burns or Toxic poison from Salamence; Chansey has good defensive synergy with Salamence and can use Toxic to inflict foes with Toxic poison foes, while Clefable can switch into dangerous Dragon-types and threaten them with STAB Moonblast or set up on bulky Water-type Pokemon with Calm Mind. Celebi is also a good partner, as it can handle the Water-types that like to switch into Salamence while also offering Heal Bell support. In return, Salamence can handle Pokemon such as Scizor and Ferrothorn, which see Celebi as setup fodder.

Beyond clerics, Heatran has very good defensive synergy with Salamence and can check threats such as Latios, Latias, and Clefable. In return, Salamence can threaten Ground-types with its Hydro Pump, while taking and can take Fighting- and Water-type attacks easily as well. Specially defensive Skarmory can check Dragon-types such as Latios, Latias, and Garchomp as well as Fairy-types such as Altaria, Diancie, and Gardevoir. Additionally, Salamence carrying Defog frees up a slot Skarmory's moveset to fit on Spikes or another support move. Between the two, most physical attackers are checked, and Salamence can handle Fire-types that threaten Skarmory as well as check strong Water-types such as Choice Specs Keldeo. Finally, bulky Talonflame appreciates Salamence's role as a bulky Defogger and ability to switch into physical walls such as Landorus-T and Hippowdon, as well as its ability and to threaten Heatran. In return, Talonflame can set up on Fairy-types and threaten Pokemon such as Celebi, which can stall Salamence out.

Other Options
########

Salamence has a wide movepool, but not many options are viable for it in OU. Toxic could be considered to cripple Pokemon such as Slowbro, Hippowdon, and specially defensive Talonflame, but the opportunity cost of losing valuable coverage makes it a subpar choice. Dragon Tail could be considered over Hydro Pump or Earthquake if the team has adequate means of dealing with Heatran, (AC) it ("team" seems like the subject of "allows") and allows Salamence to phaze Pokemon that try to set up on it and also deters while deterring Dragon-types such as Latios from freely switching into Salamence. Finally, Salamence can use Refresh to remove crippling status, but because all four of Salamence's moveslots are vital, it's usually better off being paired with a cleric.

Alternatively, Salamence can use a Choice Scarf set with Moxie or a boosting Dragon Dance set. The former is not recommended, (AC) because of the prominence of Fairies, which can take advantage of Salamence when it's locked into Outrage, whereas the latter is outclassed by Dragonite, which has better bulk and finds more opportunities to set up, (AC) thanks to with Multiscale.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Stealth Rock Leads**: Stealth Rock Clefable is the premier counter to Salamence, because as (keeps comma but better word choice imo) it can beat Salamence in a one-on-one situation and prevents it from doing its job as an "immediate" Defogger. If Salamence isn't carrying Hydro Pump or Toxic, Hippowdon can force it into a standstill, which will eventually end in favor of Hippowdon because Stealth Rock has more PP than Defog does.

**Fairy-types**: Salamence is complete setup fodder for Pokemon such as Clefable, Sylveon, and Azumarill, which can all threaten it with their powerful STAB attacks.

**Hard-hitters**: Although the nature of Salamence's set makes it hard to prevent it from Defogging, Pokemon such as Latios, Latias, Garchomp, and offensive Starmie can switch into it as it Defogs and threaten an OHKO.

**Bulky Setup**: Pokemon such as Slowbro, Gyarados, Keldeo, SpDef specially defensive Gliscor, and Celebi can take or stall out Salamence's attacks and set up on it.

**Water-types**: Gyarados, Keldeo, and Rotom-W all take little damage from Salamence's attacks and can either cripple it with status or set up on it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)