SS OU Sand Balance Team

Hello all;
I have not played competitively since ORAS but the new games have peaked my interest for battling. I have only played a few battles in the lower ladder to do quick testing(still testing) but I am seeing several gyarados, darm, and sand and would like feedback from the more experienced on how to better handle those threats. I lead with Corviknight to taunt and then u-turn to teammates.

1577148925992.jpeg

Rotom-Heat @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Overheat
- Nasty Plot
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch

52 HP with 104 Bold Def helps it to take 3 Icicle Crash from Choice Scarf Darmanitan if the HP is full. Also, the SpDef investment helps it to take 2 Specs Shadow Ball from Dragapult. It also can take on Life Orb Clefable. Will-o-wisp for switches and physical threats. I also like using voltswitch to bring in Corviknight and Tyrannitar safely into battle.

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Mirror Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def/ 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- taunt
- Roost
I use Corviknight as a physical wall and taunter. Because of my tendency to use u-turn, I decided to not use a bulk-up variant. Roost to help me survive switches. Defogger was left out because I use my Excadrill to spin. I also use Corviknight as a ground immunity switch into Excadrill. I am considering switching ironhead to a fighting move.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
I use Ferrothorn as a check to Gyarados and Rotom-w. I use it as a spike setter as well and will use knock off for those that switch into Ferrothorn.

1575254260501.jpeg

Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 196 HP / 252 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Moonlight
My main wallbreaker for those FerroPex cores. I added thunderbolt for Corviknights that switch in and Jellicent. Moonlight to heal and magic guard to avoid sandstorm/hazard chip damage.

1575254313396.jpeg

Excadrill @ Focus sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

My partner for hazards and another way to threaten Pex, Rotom-w, and Rotom-h. Because I planned for my Ttar to boost and sweep, I decided to go double stab instead of swords dance. Also sets up stealth rock. Focus sash allows at least one stealth rock or one revenge kill.

Tyranitar @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch
- Crunch

I added max speed evs to outspeed scarfDarm at +2. I usually reserve dynamax for him after two dragon dances. Stab moves for coverage and fire punch for Ferrothorn and other steel types. Weakness policy was something I saw suggested in the OU discussion thread and I really like it. Tyranitar is definitely bulky enough to take one hit before sweeping.

So there you have it. I am sure it is pretty standard. Appreciate the feedback.

Last edited:

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Just to cover all the bases- dynamax has been banned in OU. I don't think it particularly effects this team too much, but I figured I'd say it since you mention it in a few of your descriptions.

I don't have many major changes since I don't want to compromise the team's main structure of Centiskorch + Tyranitar sand. There are obviously some better Fire types than Centiscorch, like :Cinderace:Cinderace and :Rotom-Heat:Rotom-Heat, both of which I think would serve your team a bit better. If you would like to explore those options are little more feel free to let me know.

Some minor changes,
For :Centiskorch:Centiskorch, I would replace Will-o-Wisp with Power Whip. One of the biggest benefits for Centiscorch is that it can bait in bulky waters to help clear the way for Tyranitar. Power Whip will do big damage to Seismitoad, Rotom-W and Gastrodon, which Ttar appreciates.

Another potential major change,
One big threat to your team right now is Rotom-Wash. I know Excadrill can threaten it out but it doesn't want to switch in, same for Tyranitar. You could mitigate this by swapping Centiskorch or :Corviknight:Corviknight with :Ferrothorn:Ferrothorn. This could also give you Spikes to help stack hazards.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback. I am definitely willing to change centiskorch. What would you recommend?

I can change corviknight to ferrothorn as well. Is there a set you would recommend? I know I had corviknight as specially defensive but with changes to corviknight and perhaps the inclusion of rotom-heat/cinderace, would it require a change of my rotom-w to something else? Perhaps seismitoad?

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Thanks for the feedback. I am definitely willing to change centiskorch. What would you recommend?

I can change corviknight to ferrothorn as well. Is there a set you would recommend? I know I had corviknight as specially defensive but with changes to corviknight and perhaps the inclusion of rotom-heat/cinderace, would it require a change of my rotom-w to something else? Perhaps seismitoad?
Rotom-Heat is probably the best fire type in the metagame right now, in my opinion. Its decently tough to switch in too with its STAB. Generally you primarily see HDB pivot sets, but they also can run scarf or even sweeper sets with Nasty Plot.

...Obviously the problem there is you can't run Rotom-Heat and Rotom-Wash on the team. May suggestion would be to swap Centiscorch with Rotom-Heat and Rotom-Wash with Ferrothorn. Corviknight/Rotom-Heat/Ferrothorn is a pretty decent core in the current metagame. However, I would consider swapping Corviknight's Sp.D investment to physical Def, so it can better take hits from Fighting-types and Excadrill. You are left with 3 Steel-types, but since the aim of the team is focused on Sand I don't think thats too much of an issue, on top of that Tyranitar can punish Fire-types pretty easily.

I would consider these sets:

Rotom-Heat @ Heavy Duty Boots
EVs: 236 HP / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Toxic

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

Hope this helps.

Timid Nature
- Defog
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Toxic
I agree with your changes dude... but sadly, Rotom-formes no longer learn Defog neither Toxic in Gen-8. Though Will-O-Wisp or Thunder Wave can be used in those slot. Also, nasty plot can also be a nice option to get surprise KOes on Pokemon that might survive an unboosted attack from Rotom.

chimp

Go Bananas
I agree with your changes dude... but sadly, Rotom-formes no longer learn Defog neither Toxic in Gen-8. Though Will-O-Wisp or Thunder Wave can be used in those slot. Also, nasty plot can also be a nice option to get surprise KOes on Pokemon that might survive an unboosted attack from Rotom.
Oh shit, my bad. Meant to change that. WoW would probably best in this scenario. Apologies!

chimp

Go Bananas
Huh? Really sorry, but what are you talking about?
Will-o-Wisp.

Edit: sorry I totally botched that rotom set. Here is the better one:

Timid Nature
- Will-o-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt / Nasty Plot

Will-o-Wisp.

Edit: sorry I totally botched that rotom set. Here is the better one:

Timid Nature
- Will-o-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
I am really sorry to interrupt you once again, but set is for SM UU, where the 20 SpAtk are used to OHKO Celebi with Overheat.
Maybe max HP with little Def. to better take on G-Darmanitan?
This set can be used if you want-
Rotom-Heat @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SpD
Bold Nature
- Overheat
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
252 HP with 104 Bold Def helps it to take 3 Icicle Crash from Choice Scarf Darmanitan if the HP is full. Also, the SpDef investment helps it to take 2 Specs Shadow Ball from Dragapult, but that's very situational, as Rotom is probably not there to check Dragapult, but still helps in a pinch. Other than that, it also let it better take on Life Orb Clefable. Hope you wont mind the interruption...

Thank you both for the feedback, I really appreciate it! No worries on the rotom set, I forget what changed move wise a lot this gen haha. Thanks mates I'll make the changes now and try it out.

Would yall keep the careful nature on corviknight? And since it has flight immunity, would it be better to add a fighting move for Excadrill instead of ironhead?

Last edited:
would it be better to add a fighting move for Excadrill instead of ironhead?
Nope! Fighting move is hitting nothing that Mold Breaker EQ+Iron Head is not (maybe Ferrothorn, but Earthquake does fair damage to it and you have a Centiscorch to take care of Ferro). And STAB Iron Head is better in this Fairy infested meta....

To be honest, I was concerned about mold breaker excadrills. I dont have centiskorch since I switched him for rotom-heat. Although rotom-h can hit it with overheat, a mold breaker excadrill will earthquake me for an ohko because of dual weakness unless I switch. Corviknight can avoid earthquake but cant do much back aside from taunt i think. Not sure what the best play would be!

To be honest, I was concerned about mold breaker excadrills. I dont have centiskorch since I switched him for rotom-heat. Although rotom-h can hit it with overheat, a mold breaker excadrill will earthquake me for an ohko because of dual weakness unless I switch. Corviknight can avoid earthquake but cant do much back aside from taunt i think. Not sure what the best play would be!
Sorry, I was thinking that you wanted to replace Iron Head on Excadrill... Yeah, Body Press could work on Corviknight to better deal with Excadrill, Tyranitar, and Bisharp, but Iron Head can deal with Fairies. Your call, choose anyone you want, both are great options :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)