Sand Offense team, currently 14-1

I decided to make a team around Mega Garchomp because he isn't used very often and I just love the coloring on his shiny version. This team has been pretty good so far, in the 15 battles I've done I only lost once and that was because my opponents greninja got a crit on my +3 +3 clefable:(

Team building:

It all started with this guy, I wanted to use him because he isn't used nearly as much as his non-mega form and he is a very powerful wallbreaker.

Mega Garchomp needs sand to be most effective and I thought defensive lead smooth rock ttar would work well with him.

Every team needs a way to keep hazards off the field and excadrill is one of the best for doing it. I originally had sand rush excadrill but I switched to scarf mold breaker to deal with the zards and rotom better.

At this point I realized I had a bit of a fighting weakness and aegislash takes care of that. It is another strong wallbreaker and can take on many threats to my team. I currently am running weakness policy but I'm considering changing it to air balloon to spin block exca better and to take on Pokemon with eq better.

I have always wanted to use clefable and this seemed like a good team to use it on, magic guard prevents sand damage and allows me to set up on stall.

I really wasn't sure what to use in this last slot but I decided to use belly drum azumarill because it can work well as a late game sweeper after my opponents walls have been weakened.

Team:

Garchomp (M) @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

Mega Garchomp is the star of my team. I am running naive over naughty because I want to be able to bluff a scarf and revenge zard-y and several other Pokemon. It has proved useful as several times I have revenged zard y, my opponent thinks I'm locked into stone edge, switches in a rock resist and gets anialated by one of my other moves. It has worked great as a wallbreaker and is incredibly powerful in sand. Fire blast allows it to ohko scizors and ferrothorns that think they can take me and Draco can hit a lot of common switch ins hard.

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Crunch

Smooth rock star is very important to my team, he sets up sand and rocks and has a decent amount of offensive presence. Ice beam can surprise chomps, dragonites, gliscors, etc. Earthquake is a reliable powerful move that let's me avoid kings shield shenanagins with aegislash. Crunch is my STAB and it hits a lot of things for good damage due to the dark buff this gen.

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Excadrill is my spinner/revenge killer. I originally had a sand rush exca but I had problems with zard y taking away sand and rotom so I changed to mold breaker scarf. I am running jolly to out speed opposing scarfed excadrills, because most are adamant. Excadrill can reliably revenge kill a lot of different pokemon (given that rock slide doesn't miss) and having the fast rapid spin can be really useful.

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield

Aegislash is my secondary wallbreaker and is incredibly powerful. Shadow ball and flash cannon are powerful STABs and shadow sneak let's me finish off weakened pokes. I am running weakness policy because I can take almost any super effective attack and KO back after the boost but I am considering air balloon to take on ground types and to spin block excadrill better.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Stored Power
- Calm Mind

Clefable is one Pokemon I have always had trouble with so I decided to use it myself for once. It can sweep fairly easily after a few calm minds and wishes help my team. I have stored power over protect because it let's me break through venusaur and several other things I couldn't take otherwise. Not much else to say about it, so far it has been really useful and after a few calm minds only a lucky crit can stop it from wrecking teams.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough

Azumarill is my late game sweeper. After aegislash and garchomp have weakened my opponents team it is pretty easy to come in l, set up a belly drum and sweep with aqua jet. Venusaur walls it so it has to be taken care of before hand but it wont appreciate a +6 play rough or waterfall either way.

Well there is my team, feel free to try it and leave any advice on how you think I can improve it:)

Importable
Garchomp (M) @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Crunch

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Stored Power
- Calm Mind

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough

Last edited:
Yo, going through your team I was thoroughly impressed with what you got going here.

First off, I'd reccomend putting Sand Rush back on Excadrill, since you will outspeed more often in sand in the case your opponent doesn't Zard Y. In the case they do have Zard y you still have Garchomp to revenge kill it anyways.

I would also recommend Air Balloon on Aegislash since, like you mentioned, it checks ground types better along with spin blocking and using those turns they'll switch or use a move to pop the balloon, you could run either a physical set and Swords Dance while they're desperately trying to get past, or if you still like the special set, you could run Automize. If you desperately need priority, then by all means keep your set if it seems effective.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)