ORAS Doubles OU Sand Team- Thoughts, suggestions.

Disclaimer: I recently posted this in the Doubles OU forum by mistake, and realized that it belonged here. I am not spamming, double posting, or anything like that. It was an honest mistake.

Hi! I've done a lot of tinkering with this team over the last five-six months, reasonably pleased with my success so far but there are always things that can be improved upon. The idea behind this team was originally just to make a fun weather team, but I started doing better with it than either of my UU singles teams, so here we are.

Darude (Tyranitar) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 Atk / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Punch
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch

Darude's item has undergone a few changes. I ran him with scarf for quite a while, but being unable to change moves was becoming a liability in my opinion, so I switched him to life orb. Needless to say, damaging my own weather setter was less than ideal, so that eventually got the boot too. While this set does concede kill power, his special bulk in the sand is generally quite effective. Aside from the requisite STAB moves, the two elemental punches arose from constantly being plagued by Ferrothorn (Fire) and Garchomp/Landorus (Ice). Sand Stream should be a no-brainer, since this is a SAND team :P

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 200 Atk / 56 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Iron Head
- Sky Drop
- Toxic

As odd as it may look at first glance, fast support has been a huge boon to this team. As for EVs, 200 Atk still gets me the OHKO on Breloom and mega Sceptile with Sky Drop, which also serves to remove bulkier pokes for a turn. 56 Sp Def, plus the boost from sand, puts Aero-M at 360, which is nothing to sneeze at for a fast poke. Obviously 252 Spe to outspeed everything that doesn't carry prankster or priority. Iron Head catches Diancie, Gardevoir and opposing Clefable, and Taunt keeps Ferrothorn from laying entry hazards/Leech Seed, as well as neutering opposing setup.

Rhydon (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 236 HP / 176 Atk / 96 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Drill Run
- Megahorn
- Hammer Arm
- Rock Slide

One of my two defensive pivots, Lightningrod allows Rhydon to eat t-waves, which would otherwise cripple Aerodactyl and the rest of the team. Rhydon isn't about to win any Speed contests on its own, and a Brave nature actually helps it take advantage of an opposing Trick Room team and synergizes with Hammer Arm in that regard. With the boosts from sand and Eviolite, Rhydon's defenses are 410/414/337, which lets it tank both physical and special hits, provided I watch for the deadly Water and Grass types. I chose Drill Run over Earthquake to avoid hitting Tyranitar and Metagross with a super-effective physical move, since both have a special bias, and to to somewhat get around Wide Guard users. Megahorn is there for Psychics in general, but Hoopa-U and Cresselia in particular. Hammer Arm usually nets me a 2HKO on Mega Kangaskhan and Smeargle, not to mention putting a respectable dent in Chansey/Blissey/Mega Aggron.

Scizor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Quick Attack
- Quick Guard

This slot was originally filled by Donphan, but I had entirely too many Grass and Water weaknesses and also wanted to broaden my STAB type coverage. Steel typing keeps the Sand immunity. While the 4x Fire weakness is obviously something to be aware of, half of my team resists Fire, and a 4x Grass resistance is nice to throw against Serperior. All three attacking moves benefit from Technician, and generally forgo the need to invest in Spe. Quick Guard was chosen to cushion switch-ins of teammates, but I am quite open to suggestions. Rocky Helmet punishes any physical attacker, particularly Mega Kahn.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast
- Healing Wish

Not trying to reinvent the wheel with this set, just a general utility/cleric. Magic Guard eats Burn/Tox/Sand damage. Leftys because? I still go back and forth between Moonblast and Dazzling Gleam. I tried running Wish where Heling Wish currently is, but either Clefable or Wish's intended recipient would die too often before I could make it work.

Cradily @ Lum Berry
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 228 HP / 72+ Def / 8 SpA / 200 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Gastro Acid
- Confuse Ray
- Earth Power

My second defensive pivot, Cradily is one of the areas I'd like the most advice on. Chosen EVs yield 370/272/450 defenses in the sand. 8 in Sp Atk gets him to 200 before a boost. 0 Spe IVs is for the same reason as Rhydon above. He's already slow as molasses, and with that plus a Relaxed nature, he's able to better utilize an opponent's Trick Room. With three other Rocks on the team, a Water immunity in the form of Storm Drain feels pretty vital. Lum Berry was chosen because for SOME reason, Sableye and Klefki always try to status him. Giga Drain is there as psuedo-recovery, STAB, and to take advantage of the Sp Atk boosts from Storm Drain. Nullifying an opponent's Prankster or Chlorophyll with Gastro Acid is always fun. Confuse Ray is there to stall/force switches. Finally, we come to Earth Power, which I admit feels tacked on for some reason. It benefits from Storm Drain which is nice, and hurts Heatran/Victini, but has anybody got another idea? Maybe Sandstorm or Hidden Power?

Overall, I really enjoy playing this team. Each member is very useful and benefits the team as a whole, IMO. There are a few shaky spots on individual sets which I have stated above, and would be very grateful in receiving the input of other users, plus holes you may spot that I haven't.

Hey TheRocketGrunt!

Well, this team is HEAVILY influenced from the Singles Meta, and I must say that Doubles is distinguishably unique from it. But don’t discouraged if your team doesn’t work; it takes time to get used to a new meta, and learn what is actually better for a team.

· First of all, Choice Tyranitar ain’t that bad. I know that using Choice items can be irritating, but it is certainly better than not being able to outspeed your opponent’s Mons. (Dragon Dance isn’t a viable option because you don’t have a Redirector in your team.) You shouldn’t try to keep your Tyranitar long in the field either because you’ll need it for later. Nevertheless, Bulky Tyranitar ain’t a bad choice either because it will allow you to survive at least one (or two and even three if you’re lucky) Hyper Voice, Hydro Pump / Scald / Steam Eruption, and other Special effective moves. However, the EV spread for your Assault Vest Tyranitar can have some improvements. I’ll list the sets for both Tyranitars. Anyhow, all Tyranitars are weak against a Choice Landorus-T, and a gamble whether it has a Superpower or not is not worth it either. Thus, I suggest you remove (Choice) Tyranitar’s Ice Punch and use Superpower (to OHKO Mega Kangaskhan). For the matter of its Stone Edge, I’d say it’s alright, considering that a lot of teams that has Wide Guard would assume it will use Rock Slide.

· Next, Rhydon and Mega Aerodactyle (considering that it has Taunt, Toxic, and Iron Head) is not quite ideal in a Sand Team. Although Rhydon has Lightning Rod, it is not an ability that would benefit it or its teammates; sand team, by nature, is Electric-resistant. (Just don’t use Rhydon.) Plus, you wouldn’t want your Mega to be wasting its moves on Taunt or Toxic* either, but if you really want to use Mega Aerodactyl, try using the moveset below. However, I must admit that its STAB flying type moves, Aerial Ace and Sky Drop, are weak and sometimes… just a bad idea. On the bright side, it is one of the few non-Choice Mons that are capable of outspeeding Landorus-T. It’s Ice Fang has a 25% chance of OHKO’ing it, so make sure that Landorus-T receives some damage before finishing it off. But if you are to take my advice, I suggest that you don’t use Rhydon and Mega Aerodactyl because Excadrill is arguably the best abuser of Sandstorm. Its moves, Earthquake, Rock Slide, and Iron Head will take care a wide range of Mons, especially Fairy types (to ensure your Tyranitar’s safety). For the matter of its item, you can try Focus Sash if you’re not sure that you can keep it long enough or Life Orb to inflict greater damage over your 5 turn session of Sandstorm.

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Aerial Ace / Sky Drop
- Protect
- Ice Fang

· Now Cradily may seem like a good pick, but most experienced players would say that Gastrodon is even better. Like Cradily, it has the ability Storm Drain, and its moveset of Recover, Scald, Earth Power, and Ice Beam should help you against Landorus-T, Heatran/Volcanion, etc. Plus, its only weakness is one of the most unused types, Grass! And, it is quite flexible with its choice of items. Some that I recommend is Sitrus Berry, Life Orb, or Safety Goggles (for Amoonguss).

· Now you seem to have a good idea of which remaining Mons would be best for your team, but Scizor and Clefable are quite outclassed by other Mons of the Doubles tier. I remember how you used your Mega Aerodactyl as a way to block spread moves. To be honest, Aegislash is the best Wide Guard user and can also fill in for Scizor (although Excadrill already does). Nevertheless, Talonflame is the best option if you really want to get rid of Steel types (like Ferrothorn) and get rid of Grass types overall. Besides, it’s nice to have some priority in your team. And you seem to realize that you still need a way to deal with Dark, Fighting, and Dragon type Mons. However, your Clefable could be more of an annoyance than an actual asset to your team. Remember, Doubles is more quick-paced than Singles, and another offensive Mon is much better than a Magic Guard / Utility / Cleric Mon that just wastes a turn. Thus, I suggest that you use either Mega Gardevoir or Mega Diancie (benefits from Sandstorm).

· With one slot remaining and no way to put significant damage onto Water types, I suggest that you use Thundurus. With its Prankster Taunt it should be able to stop Amooguss and some Trick Room attempts (that’s what Talonflame is there for). Also, its Thunder Wave will provide with nice speed control over other Weather abusers and fast Mons in general. And of course, it’s nice to have a STAB that is effective against Water types. Depending on what type of Thundurus you choose to use HP Ice will be nice against Landorus-T and Flash Cannon would be nice against Fairy types, especially against opposing Mega Diancie’s. You can even put Sludge Bomb on your Thundurus if you’re that concerned about Grass type Mons. And of course, it's always nice to have another switch in for Earthquake.

Well, I gave you plenty of advice, and what matters is how you are going to form your team based on them. Remember to always use Protect! GL HF, and feel free to join the Doubles Community at out "Smogon Doubles" chatroom at Pokemon Showdown!

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Rock Slide / Stone Edge

OR

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest / Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 ATK / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Rock Slide
- Dark Pulse
- Pursuit / Protect
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower

+

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Iron Head

+

Gastrodon-East @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 232 HP / 176 Def / 48 SpA / 52 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Recover

+

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 208 Atk / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect

OR

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic
- Protect

+

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Overheat
- Tailwind
- Protect

+

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 4 SpA / 72 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

OR

Thundurus @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon / Sludge Bomb
- Taunt
- Protect

Last edited:

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
Hello, and welcome to smogon! Unfortunately, like many new players, you've fallen into the trap of "since it's a sand team all of my team members have to be immune to sand!" From personal experience, I've found this mindset forces you to stack weaknesses and use suboptimal mons. For example, your team is very weak to lando-t overall and cradily simply doesn't have good enough base stats to be worth using. It's okay to use things that don't fit with the "sand theme" like latios and volcanion because they help deal with threats to sand like amoonguss and keldeo while being good choices in their own right.

Although sand isn't a great meta pick atm, the best sand teams have always been more so teams that are built around the ttar/excadrill core. The 4 other mons complement sand's weaknesses, take advantage of the fire, flying, and dragon types sand removes, or act as a win condition on their own. Excadrill is by far the best sand abuser, since the doubled speed helps offset faster threats like keldeo. Rather than attempt to fix up your current team, you should try building a new one starting with ttar/exca and not stacking any more rock/ground/steel/dark types.
Tyranitar @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
- Stone Edge
- Assurance
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Excadrill @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drill Run
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Protect

EVs: 72 HP / 108 Def / 220 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Taunt
- Protect

Volcanion @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Icy Wind
- Will-O-Wisp

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Thunder Wave
- Protect
I wouldn't call this perfect by any means, but it should be a good starting point for what kind of mons/framework work well on a sand team. Other things that often work well on sand include keldeo, latios, blaziken, and amoonguss. If you'd like any more help, don't be afraid to consult dou forum resources or the smogon doubles room on PS!

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the thoughtful reply, although it saddens me that apparently every poke on my team is either a poor or suboptimal choice. Gastrodon instead of Cradily is very interesting, I'm definitely going to try it out, as well as toy around with Prankster Thundurus.I do have a question about one of your suggestions for Tyranitar, however. Since Assault Vest requires that I only use damaging moves, can you recommend something over Protect?
Hey TheRocketGrunt!

Well, this team is HEAVILY influenced from the Singles Meta, and I must say that Doubles is distinguishably unique from it. But don’t discouraged if your team doesn’t work; it takes time to get used to a new meta, and learn what is actually better for a team.

· First of all, Choice Tyranitar ain’t that bad. I know that using Choice items can be irritating, but it is certainly better than not being able to outspeed your opponent’s Mons. (Dragon Dance isn’t a viable option because you don’t have a Redirector in your team.) You shouldn’t try to keep your Tyranitar long in the field either because you’ll need it for later. Nevertheless, Assault Vest Tyranitar ain’t a bad choice either because it will allow you to survive at least one (or two and even three if you’re lucky) Hyper Voice, Hydro Pump / Scald / Steam Eruption, and other Special effective moves. However, the EV spread for your Assault Vest Tyranitar can have some improvements. I’ll list the sets for both Tyranitars. Anyhow, all Tyranitars are weak against a Choice Landorus-T, and a gamble whether it has a Superpower or not is not worth it either. Thus, I suggest you remove (Choice) Tyranitar’s Ice Punch and use Superpower (to OHKO Mega Kangaskhan). For the matter of its Stone Edge, I’d say it’s alright, considering that a lot of teams that has Wide Guard would assume it will use Rock Slide.

· Next, Rhydon and Mega Aerodactyle (considering that it has Taunt, Toxic, and Iron Head) is not quite ideal in a Sand Team. Although Rhydon has Lightning Rod, it is not an ability that would benefit it or its teammates; sand team, by nature, is Electric-resistant. (Just don’t use Rhydon.) Plus, you wouldn’t want your Mega to be wasting its moves on Taunt or Toxic* either, but if you really want to use Mega Aerodactyl, try using the moveset below. However, I must admit that its STAB flying type moves, Aerial Ace and Sky Drop, are weak and sometimes… just a bad idea. On the bright side, it is one of the few non-Choice Mons that are capable of outspeeding Landorus-T. It’s Ice Fang has a 25% chance of OHKO’ing it, so make sure that Landorus-T receives some damage before finishing it off. But if you are to take my advice, I suggest that you don’t use Rhydon and Mega Aerodactyl because Excadrill is arguably the best abuser of Sandstorm. Its moves, Earthquake, Rock Slide, and Iron Head will take care a wide range of Mons, especially Fairy types (to ensure your Tyranitar’s safety). For the matter of its item, you can try Focus Sash if you’re not sure that you can keep it long enough or Life Orb to inflict greater damage over your 5 turn session of Sandstorm.

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Aerial Ace / Sky Drop
- Protect
- Ice Fang

· Now Cradily may seem like a good pick, but most experienced players would say that Gastrodon is even better. Like Cradily, it has the ability Storm Drain, and its moveset of Recover, Scald, Earth Power, and Ice Beam should help you against Landorus-T, Heatran/Volcanion, etc. Plus, its only weakness is one of the most unused types, Grass! And, it is quite flexible with its choice of items. Some that I recommend is Sitrus Berry, Life Orb, or Safety Goggles (for Amoonguss).

· Now you seem to have a good idea of which remaining Mons would be best for your team, but Scizor and Clefable are quite outclassed by other Mons of the Doubles tier. I remember how you used your Mega Aerodactyl as a way to block spread moves. To be honest, Aegislash is the best Wide Guard user and can also fill in for Scizor (although Excadrill already does). Nevertheless, Talonflame is the best option if you really want to get rid of Steel types (like Ferrothorn) and get rid of Grass types overall. Besides, it’s nice to have some priority in your team. And you seem to realize that you still need a way to deal with Dark, Fighting, and Dragon type Mons. However, your Clefable could be more of an annoyance than an actual asset to your team. Remember, Doubles is more quick-paced than Singles, and another offensive Mon is much better than a Magic Guard / Utility / Cleric Mon that just wastes a turn. Thus, I suggest that you use either Mega Gardevoir or Mega Diancie (benefits from Sandstorm).

· With one slot remaining and no way to put significant damage onto Water types, I suggest that you use Thundurus. With its Prankster Taunt it should be able to stop Amooguss and some Trick Room attempts (that’s what Talonflame is there for). Also, its Thunder Wave will provide with nice speed control over other Weather abusers and fast Mons in general. And of course, it’s nice to have a STAB that is effective against Water types. Depending on what type of Thundurus you choose to use HP Ice will be nice against Landorus-T and Flash Cannon would be nice against Fairy types, especially against opposing Mega Diancie’s. You can even put Sludge Bomb on your Thundurus if you’re that concerned about Grass type Mons. And of course, it's always nice to have another switch in for Earthquake.

Well, I gave you plenty of advice, and what matters is how you are going to form your team based on them. Remember to always use Protect! GL HF, and feel free to join the Doubles Community at out "Smogon Doubles" chatroom at Pokemon Showdown!

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch

OR

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful / Sassy Nature
- Sandstorm / Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Protect

+

Excadrill @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Iron Head

+

Gastrodon-East @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 232 HP / 176 Def / 48 SpA / 52 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Recover

+

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 208 Atk / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect

OR

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic
- Protect

+

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Overheat
- Tailwind
- Protect

+

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 4 SpA / 72 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

OR

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon / Sludge Bomb
- Taunt
- Protect

Thank you very much for the thoughtful reply, although it saddens me that apparently every poke on my team is either a poor or suboptimal choice. Gastrodon instead of Cradily is very interesting, I'm definitely going to try it out, as well as toy around with Prankster Thundurus.I do have a question about one of your suggestions for Tyranitar, however. Since Assault Vest requires that I only use damaging moves, can you recommend something over Protect?
Geez, what was I thinking about Assault Vest Tyranitar. I was pretty sleepy by the time I got to that point. lolz. Anyways, you can try this set:

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest / Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 ATK / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Rock Slide
- Dark Pulse
- Pursuit / Protect
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)