[SANDard] POSTSANDS - Faction Analysis

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
POST SANDS

This game was designed with Hoenn Mafia’s cancellation fresh in my mind, as well as TCG Mafia’s chronic idling problem, and the general consensus that idling was becoming a large crisis.

I figured a rather different game format could potentially fix this problem. If your WC was entirely dependent on your own commitment and activity, you’d probably try harder to not idle.

And it worked. Bear in mind when looking at the game’s rather unusual design that the intent behind the format was, “if YOU don’t PM, you will probably lose.” There were like 1 or 2 neutrals who could essentially idle the whole game and stand a chance to win through sheer luck, via the course the game took. And of course, faction members could idle and one person could send in all actions, which is pretty much what occurred.

For those of you who didn’t see it in Snype’s post, here is the spread for the game:

https://spreadsheets0.google.com/ccc?hl=en&key=tDmdAUFuiTqqsuGi5V23t-A&hl=en#gid=0
Have fun looking at the cluster<SNIP> that was our spread and seeing who killed you.

If you browse the tabs, you may find some early design schematics of the game, including two deleted neutrals and multiple changes to the factions’ roles. There is also an explanation for the game, the roles, the concepts, and the neutrals, though some of that is out of date because it was never updated.

The Trick:
At several points, I mentioned a loophole/trick in the factions’ WCs that extended to neutrals as well. Staraptor Call had asked us if he needed to be alive to win, as his role PM did not specify. undisputed later took problem with this same concept:
(4:50:51 pm) <StevenSnype> 19:47 undisputed|afk any game ive ever played, you have to be alive to win
19:47 undisputed|afk unless youre in a faction
19:47 undisputed|afk which i dont think bunny wa
19:47 undisputed|afk s
19:49 undisputed|afk yeah that's honestly a really dumb way to make me lose
19:49 undisputed|afk a dead player coming back to retroactively screw me

SPOILERS: unless it actually said in your WC “You must survive” or “You must be alive”, you did not need to be alive to win. This applied to everyone.
Which means all the factions could have won.

The game was designed to allow for a best-case scenario in which two threatening neutrals were killed, and one of the wolves was alive and killed off every faction, which allowed all factions who had successfully gained the SANDS or MUDS to win; together and from the grave.

Too few people ever actually figured this out and nobody wanted to share it or win together.

As follows are the factions, and our thoughts on them. I have posted all their role PMs as they were initially sent, or were sent to the sub

The Factions:
The Really Relevant People
Dear shade, you are Horatio Cain

The star of CSI Miami, you are a better lead than CSI has. You also have sunglasses that you wear on top of sunglasses. In fact, your eyes may have morphed into sunglasses. Because Miami, and Florida in general, is more notable for the beaches than the Everglades, you have joined the quest for SANDS, though you do have some MUDS to offer up.

Every night, you may PM both hosts with "NX - Pull shades on USER". You will gain that user's full Role PM, including the name (but not details) of the item they currently hold. Alternatively, you may PM both hosts with "NX - Forensic evidence of USER's SUV". You will provide that user with your team's forensics and SUVs, allowing them to perform two of their night actions the following night. You may not use this ability on yourself. Additionally, once during the game, you may send in a PM during the day with "DX - Send the team to take USER1 in and USER2 out". You will send your CSI team to bring USER1 (who is being lynched) into protective custody for the day, and send them to arrest USER2 which will end in their being shot as they try to run. This is a lynch redirect and can only be done once.

You currently hold the Sunglasses. These slick shades will protect your eyes from the sun, allowing you to dart out of the lynch pit when the sun spikes everyone else's eyes, saving you for one day. This item can be stolen and is only good for one lynch.

You are allied with the Really Relevant People. You win if the Really Relevant People eliminate all threats. Additionally, you must gain access to the SANDS, and each member still living must hold them. Your team's details are in the next PM.
Quote: He is a liar. I just don't know what the lie is yet.
-
Dear lambasto, you are Captain Jean Luc Picard
The captain of the USS Enterprise D and E, you are a big Frenchman. Most notable for being bald and having an English actor, also for wanting to bone your ship's doctor but beating around the bush for 7+ years of the show, you are a pretty cool guy. Because MUDS would dirty the interior of your pristine flagship, you prefer SANDS, as you could put them in your lionfish's tank.
Every night, you may PM both hosts with "NX - Warp speed USER". This will increase that user's priority and they may be able to act before someone else because of it. Alternatively, you may PM both hosts with "NX - Make USER listen to the Picard Song". You will have your crew force that user to listen to the song about you, preventing them from completing their night action because they'll keep hitting replay. Additionally, every day you may PM both hosts with "DX - Send Worf to get beat up by USER". You will send your terrible Chief of Security to engage that user in a fight, however because he is so bad at actually winning, they will be too occupied to talk to anyone for a full cycle.

You currently hold <snip> MUDS. One of your teammates pulled this rare and valuable item out of the Everglades. This item does <snip>.

You are allied with the Really Relevant People. You win if the Really Relevant People eliminate all threats. Additionally, you must gain access to the SANDS, and each member still living must hold them. Your team's details are in the next PM.

Quote: There was no opportunity. There was no pause. He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence, moving from topic to topic, so that no one had a chance to interrupt; it was really quite hypnotic
-

Dear Quagsires, you are a Homeless Guy

You live on the streets and hundreds of thousands of people pass you daily. Depending on your city and chosen begging position, you may earn hundreds of dollars a day and thus become more wealthy than a man working minimum wage. Alternatively, you can be entirely whacked out and constantly smashed on hallucenogenic substances. MUDS make you filthier than you are so you prefer SANDS.

Every night, you may PM both hosts with "NX - Bum around USER". You will stagger as if completely smashed around that user, keeping all possible killers away, because who knows what you could do to them in your supposed state of mind. Additonally, every day you may PM both hosts with "DX - Ask USER for profit". You will stutter and mumble while demanding that user's money, and they will be slowed down in performing their day action. Alternatively, every day you may PM both hosts with "DX - Mug USER for their drug money". You will mug that user and take whatever item(s) they may be holding, thinking that if they don't have money you can use to feed your habits, you can at least pawn what they did have.
You currently have no item.
Quote: I slept with Lindsay Lohan last week. Please help.

This faction started with two good fellas and some random guy we'd never heard of. We intentionally placed dak and shade on the same faction. I personally suspected they would collaborate if they were on different factions and their factions would potentially sweep the game if they got some neutrals to work with them.

dak wanted us to sub Raseri out, but Raseri requested a sub and in came Quagsires, who was next on our sub list. The team remained dak/shade/Quagsires until it was eliminated.

shade: didn't really do too much, though I guess he didn't quite understand the game/what was actually happening. He'd send in PMs occasionally, a good chunk of the time he'd idle and it would be a teammate who PMed. Once he was left alone he made an effort to PM but the other factions, with undisputed, killed him off.

Very anti-no lynch which is good because only pussies no lynch.
Someone targeted him like almost every night with a hook so he was kind of useless, not by his own fault but just because he was a name target.
The only time his secondary abilities were made use of was undisputed's role doubling, which he intended to be on himself but was actually given to zerowing.

dak: sent the RRP actions initially before he was killed off in presumably a namekill. He, unfortunately, had very limited play. When he was killed there was also a kill targeting shade so honestly, no matter who they protected they would've lost one.

Raseri/Quag: Raseri did nothing but sub out. After dak died, Quag stepped up to lead the team. He sent in most of the PMs but I don't believe ever talked with shade too much. The RRP were doing fairly well under Quag but undisputed killed him off and then took out shade, so he just didn't ally with the overpowered neutral to survive.

Overall, the RRP were a fairly solid faction. They had one member who always PMed their actions, or was prompted to. Quagsires really pulled the faction along and tried to win, but unfortunately he wound up on the opposite side of undisputed's favor. He tried to work with SC if memory serves.

They managed to get the SANDS through I believe a random event. I think they could have negotiated more and spoken more with the others to make alliances, but they were by no means the worst of the factions.

I wrote all 3 of their PMs and this was the first faction to be created when I made the game, hence why they're at the top lol. Their theme was people who are relevant to society - two were fictional TV characters and one was a hobo, who are everywhere and thus relevant. Their color was pink simply because it was the first one in the rainbow.

The Copyright Jim Henson

Dear GoldenKnight, you are Cookie Monster
You are one of the classic stars of Sesame Street. Infamously known for your Letter of the Day, you have found multiple letters and then devoured the cookies mercilessly. However, it was an Arab who lived in the SANDS that got you changed to the Veggie Monster, but you were able to escape and changed back to Cookie Monster. As a result, you prefer to have MUDS.
Every night, you may PM both hosts with "NX - Appearing on USER's TV". You will open Sesame Street for that day, and that user will watch you. Because Sesame Street is from childhood, all killers will be so affected they will be unable to kill that user while you are on TV. Additionally, you may PM both hosts with "DX - Taking USER's cookie". You will approach that user, and ask if they have a cookie. They will think their item is a cookie, and because everyone loves Cookie Monster, you will get their item.

You currently hold <snip> SANDS. One of your teammates pulled this rare and valuable item from the Sahara Desert. This item does <snip>.

You are allied with the Copyright Jim Hensons. You win if the Copyright Jim Hensons eliminate all threats. Additionally, you must gain access to the MUDS, and each member still living must hold them. Your team's details are in the next PM.
Quote: C is for cookie, it's good enough for me; oh cookie cookie cookie starts with C.
-
Dear Nook, you are Pepe the King Prawn
You are Pepino Rodrigo Serrano Gonzales. Born in Madrid, you have been mistaken for an appetizer and are very proud to be the KING Prawn. You recall your days back in Madrid and despise the days when everyone called you a shrimp rather than a king prawn. Since SANDS remind you of beaches and humans, you much prefer to have the MUDS. And girls wrestling in MUDS, barely clothed, appeals to your interests.
Every night, you may PM both hosts with "NX - Taking USER for a great night out". Unbeknownst to everyone, you secretly have a drinking habit, and you love to get wasted with friends. After all, you're a king so anyone will be willing to go with you, but you select that user to go with you and get wasted together. Eventually, that will get so drunk that he/she will accidentally call you a shrimp and you will get into a barfight. The owner of the bar will throw you and that out, effectively preventing them from completing any night action. However, the bar owner will not permanently ban you and you may repeatedly do this action, even on the same user. In addition, you may PM both hosts with "DX - Being worshipped by USER1 and insulted by USER2". You are a king, and you're loaded. During the day, everyone will come to kiss up to you. The first user will worship you so much that he will be so shocked at the second user for calling you a jack<snip> that the first user will change his target to the second user.
You currently hold a condom. It has no expiration date. Once during the game, you may PM both hosts with "NX/DX - <snip>ing USER." You will <snip> USER, preventing USER from completing any and all night actions. However, once this condom is used, it will break, and it may not be used again.
You are allied with the Copyright Jim Hensons. You win if the Copyright Jim Hensons eliminate all threats. Additionally, you must gain access to the MUDS, and each member still living must hold them. Your team's details are in the next PM.
Quote: I got good news! I got the fire permit, the health permit, the permit to open a topless nightclub, all the contracts...
-
Dear Improbability, you are Gobo the Fraggle
One of the five main Fraggles in Fraggle Rock, you are amazing. Not only are you an explorer, but you are an amazing guitar player and singer. You do have an allergic reaction to not only radish bars, but also to SANDS. Therefore, you prefer the MUDS.
Every night, you may PM both hosts with "NX - Exploring with USER". You will take that user spelunking with you as you explore Fraggle Rock's caverns. That user will have such a great time that they will give you their win condition. Additionally, during the day, you may PM both hosts with "DX - Play a gig for USER". You will play for that user; unfortunately, they will have no money on them, but will instead give you their win condition as compensation. Additionally, you may PM the hosts once during the day with "DX - Have a concert". You will play your guitar fervently. In fact, you will play so fervently that the crowd will forget who they were lynching and your guitar will break, preventing you from having another concert. Your musical and exploring abilities are well-known. Therefore, the people in this game value your vote as two votes.
You currently hold no item.
Quote: Oh, boy. Boober broke through the pie crust. Wait there.

These guys began the game with what we considered the most questionable of the players, or Snype at the least. I felt confident GK was a pretty good player, Nook could be when he didn't idle, and Improbability wasn't a complete moron. These guys weren't super ace players like dak/shade, but I also think they weren't idiots either, so it was a good mix.

Unfortunately they got luck<SNIP>ed before Day Two ever rolled around.

GoldenKnight: was killed n1, not really much he could do. Initially, he and Nook were quite active together. They were the first team to make a channel, I believe, and the first ones with a spreadsheet. They also wanted us to sub Altair in but Improb showed up and didn't idle.

Nook: the only surviving member of the (C) JHs once Day Two entered the scene, Nook allied with the CCs. I feel like the RRP voted with them most of the time as well. Unfortunately, Nook idled a lot or just dicked around, so he never managed to get the MUDS he needed. I don't think. He put in some effort, mostly to help aska and the CCs, but in the end his faction had lost too many people too fast, so though he tried to lead lynches, he was raped up the butt.. twice in one night.. and died.

Improbability: had the lynch redirected onto him on Day One, when wickdaggler was lynched for being too dang ugly. He had requested to be a Tracker or Watcher, but unfortunately the only role with either in the game was the Wolf-Lite and I didn't think that's what he wanted. He talked to his faction a bit, but they sadly didn't really get to do much.

These guys' spreadsheet read "KILL ASKA" "KILL ASKA" "nook let's have sex" "ok" "KILL ASKA" "HOOK ASKA". They also used garish colors which was cool. Their 'kill aska' date kept moving out farther until Nook actually allied with aska instead of killing him.. probably because he was essentially a wolf with his faction gone so early. It was never really completed much, but they did some work on it.

Nook survived for a lot longer than Snype and I assumed he would. When he wasn't dead by like N3 we were wondering wtf was going on. He went on an anti-Quagsires spree, and the night he tried to kill Quagsires, zerowing and undisputed via zerowing both killed him. His kill did not go through but he was anally raped twice. And so by Night 5's close, the first faction was eliminated. We had assumed the (C) JH's would be the first ones to go.

These guys were the only faction Snype wrote PMs for and boy was that a mess. I sent their PMs without looking over them because we were behind on PMing.. and then GK I believe asked why their roles didn't line up with the Team PM they were sent. I reviewed the PMs and theirs were horribly out of line with the other PMs' format. Had they actually shared those PMs, I'd imagine anyone looking at the flavor/format would have called them fakes. I changed their PMs and rewrote a good chunk of them, GK's several times x.x

Apologies to the (C) JH for giving you such messy PMs.

This faction was just boned too quickly in the game – they lost their BG and their lynch-impacting role. It’s unfortunate they were so unlucky.

Commendable Canines

Dear askaninjask, you are Lassie
Does Lassie really need flavor? I think everyone knows the great deeds done by the true, blue Lassie. You are a hero dog, strong, skilled, intelligent, and able to communicate what needs to be done with the humans around you. A Collie, you are a true hero, and thus commendable. SANDS are easier to brush out of your coat, long as it is, than MUDS, especially once they dry, so you are hoping to gain SANDS to help you help little boys in wells.

Every night, you may PM both hosts with "NX - Barking to alert everyone to the threat against USER". You will notify everyone around that user could be in trouble, ensuring no killer will be able to accomplish their goal. Alternatively, you may PM both hosts with "NX - point USER to the well". You will take that user to the well, where everyone is, and because so many people are there anyone targeting them with a night action will meet with no success, excluding kills. Additionally, every day you may PM both hosts with "DX - Look like a cute puppy around USER". You will look so adorable around this user that nobody will be able to successfully lynch them the next day. Eventually, people will get tired of your cute face being everywhere, so after two successful protections, you cannot use this anymore.

You currently hold <snip> MUDS. One of your teammates pulled this rare and valuable item out of a swamp while hunting for clues. This item does <snip>.

You are allied with the Commendable Canines. You win if the Commendable Canines eliminate all threats. Additionally, you must gain access to the SANDS, and each member still living must hold them. Your team's details are in the next PM.

Quote: WOOF.
-
Dear King Emerald, you are Scooby Doo
The cowardly Great Dane with a severe speech impediment, you love food. You drive around in a van with 4 kids who apparently graduated high school despite cross-country journeys solving mysteries. You know that despite their tendancy for girl/guy only rooms at the start of the night, things never stay that way, and you eventually left when you couldn't get any sleep over some kids moaning. Because you generally encounter creepier crap in swamps, IE quicksand, zombies, witches, and MUDS, you prefer beaches where there's giant crabs and ghost divers only, and SANDS, and would prefer a SANDS-only world.
Every night, you may PM both hosts with "NX - Running around a building you broke into with USER following". After breaking and entering, a trick you learned from your Mystery, Inc. days, that user will startle you, and as you run, they will give chase, preventing them from completing their night action. This is a hook, not a martyr. Additionally, every day you may PM both hosts with "DX - Snoop for USER's clues". You will snoop around that user's room after breaking in and take all the items in their possession, which you believe to be clues.
You currently hold the Mystery Machine. Well more like you drive around in it but we have to keep the flavor consistent. By PMing your hosts "N/DX - take USER for a ride in the Mystery Machine", you will take that user and stuff them in the trunk. It will be two cycles before they can escape and return to the fight for SANDS and MUDS. You may use this kidnap during the night or the day, but it can be stolen.
You are allied with the Commendable Canines. You win if the Commendable Canines eliminate all threats. Additionally, you must gain access to the SANDS, and each member still living must hold them. Your team's details are in the next PM.
Quote: Ruh Roh!
-
Dear coolking49, you are Air Bud
The star of a cute children's movie that was milked for cash until the plotlines became too terrible, you are extremely athletic. A natural talent at physical stunts, you are sick and tired of the abuse your good name suffered at the hands of greedy executives who authorize bad sequels. These execs' wives enjoy coating their botox faces with <snip> MUDS in an attempt to reduce the wrinkles on their faces, so you would rather suffocate in the SANDS spilling from their <snip>s than take part in securing items that could beautify these golddiggers.
Every night, you may PM both hosts with "NX - Get the Yankees to pay off USER1 to vote
USER2 MVP". You will use your influence in the sports world as one of the greatest atheletes to gain access to the Yankees' seemingly infinite bank accounts. The Yankees will give the first user great sums of money in exchange for a vote in the lynch for the second user, thinking they will win MVP instead of a death sentence. Additionally, every day you may PM both hosts with "DX - Send in the scouts on USER". Because your sports talent is so notable, you will get the talent scouts and agents to look in on that user, gaining their Role PM. This will include their item name, but not its function.
You currently hold <snip> MUDS. One of your teammates pulled this rare and valuable item out of a swamp while hunting for clues. This item does <snip>.
Quote: BARK.

The CC started the game pretty strong. aska began heading things up because coolking was always gone/idling or some mess. King Emerald became more active, especially after aska died. aska's spreadsheet was actually pretty accurate, they had alliances dealt out correctly but they didn't know the correct role of most of the neutrals. aska and Nook worked together until the (C) JH were finally kicked out of the game. These guys worked to find the trick, though it took them quite a long time lol.

Then once they found out they decided that was too easy and tried to win alone. Admirable. The CC had probably my favorite roles. Air Bud's action flavor was great, too bad he was always the one retrieving stuff so his inspect was rarely used.​

They ALMOST found makiri the Wolf. aska and KingE's inspection had been makiri, but coolking PMed on his own a different target, and aska decided to switch to let him feel like he was doing something. Had coolking ever talked to his faction (!!) or just not PMed like we were used to, they would've found the wolf out and who knows how the game could have wound up.​

askaninjask: did good work. He mostly decided the actions and set up alliances, up until his death. Who rapes Lassie? Come on. He did good work on the spreadsheet and got a channel set up. With his early efforts, the CC were clearly out ahead. He also got Staraptor Call to send them the real SANDS, after working through the game to figure out all the 'this was found ____' flavored items were fake.
ALSO SORRY ASKA. Never give this guy BG.. lol.. He was placed on the CC to give them a very skilled player and because he was hosting Dog Eat Dog, so I gave him the first of the three CC roles on the list.. which turned out to be the BG. Had he been able to be protected he may have lived longer, though he did negotiate with the (C) JH for protection. He asked if he could self-protect, but no faction BG was able to protect the user. Safeguard and lynchguard could be used on oneself, however.​

King Emerald: took over leadership after aska died. He had a bit more help from the less-idle coolking and they tried to do work, but the other factions just sort of ganged up on them. They were gone in one full cycle. KingE gathered up a mess of items but they mostly just passed them to other factions or neutrals.​

coolking49: he messed up the potential wolf inspection and didn't really defend himself from his lynch, which led to the CC's elimination. He was gone a bit at the start of the game, if memory serves, and he didn't work much with his faction until the end. He put in effort but they idled his persuasion a lot and not much stands out about him.​

It was a shame the CC were eliminated, as they were honestly the most put-together of the factions and were working pretty well. The others just decided to off them (or at least KingE and coolking, whether they knew they were connected I don't recall). They were the first faction to obtain the SANDS and pass it around, I believe.​

The CC were definitely the most organized and proactive, but, it went poorly for them in the middle of the game. Fortunately for them, everyone randed billymills early, and their neutral threat was eliminated before he could do damage to their team.​

The Rageguy Variants (THE WINNERS)

Dear danmantincan, you are Everything Went Better Than Expected

You are a Rageguy Variant, differing from the original in your contentment with the happier ending than anticipated. Whereas Rageguy always encounters an unfortunate circumstance to rage to, you always encounter more fortune with the events of your life. Because you are so optimistic and lucky, you believe the MUDS REBELLION will provide a better ending than the SANDS ACQUISITIONS, INC. monopoly, but regardless, everything will probably go better than expected.
Every night, you may PM both hosts with "NX - Star in a comic with USER". You will include that user in your next comic appearance, and because you always have good endings, no killer will be able to accomplish their goal. Additionally, every day you may PM both hosts with "DX - Give USER a better outcome". You will provide that user with a better-than-expected result for the next day, so nobody will be able to successfully lynch them the day after you target them. However, because Challenge Accepted thinks you get off too easy, after two successful protections, he will defy the odds to ensure individuals are lynched, so you cannot use this after it has worked two times.
You are allied with the Rageguy Variants. You win if the Rageguy Variants eliminate all threats. Additionally, you must gain access to the MUDS, and each member still living must hold them. Your team's details are in the next PM.
Quote: Everything went better than expected
-
Dear vonFiedler, you are Forever Alone
A newer Rageguy Variant, you are a loser. As your name would suggest, you are incapable of gaining a spouse, or even holding a relationship with a boy or girl. In fact, it's probable you can't even make friends and even the dog your parents own hates you. Because you are so socially inept, you still think playing in MUDS is cool, despite the beating your mother gives you when she has to hose you off. You're going to be forever alone anyway right, so why bother with long walks on SANDS beaches?
Every night, you may PM both hosts with "NX - Virtually pining away for USER". You will take notice of that user and feel attracted to them, however due to your social inabilities, you cannot actually approach them and instead you will hunt for information on them on the internet, gaining their Role PM. This will include their item name, but not its function. Additionally, every day you may PM both hosts with "DX - Be caught in public with USER". You will get so daring as to approach that user in public, however because you are so hideous and awkward, that user will be avoided like the plague by everyone but killers, who have a job to do regardless of your loneliness.
You currently hold P.H.Y.L.L.I.S. If there is only one member left of the Rageguy Variants, the holder will gain an extra kill. To activate this, PM both hosts with "NX - FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUSER" to kill that user. This item can be stolen and will work for any faction(s) with one member left.
You are allied with the Rageguy Variants. You win if the Rageguy Variants eliminate all threats. Additionally, you must gain access to the MUDS, and each member still living must hold them. Your team's details are in the next PM.
Quote: FOREVER ALONE
-
Dear Crux, you are Okay
As a more recent Rageguy Variant, you are trying to make a name for yourself. You have a name, but your attempt in this war is to solidify it. Being the Okay guy, you are a complete pussy, and you are alright with anything. Girlfriend gangbanged 10 guys? Okay. Mother had a threesome with your wife and sister? Okay. Fired from your job because you wouldn't lick your boss' feet? Okay. Well that may be untrue, had you been asked to lick you boss' feet, your answer would have been 'Okay'. The MUDS REBELLION asked you to join their cause first, and naturally your answer was 'Okay'.
Every night, you may PM both hosts with "NX - Teach USER how to be a doormat". You will show that user the wonders of being a pushover and always accepting the situation, however because few people actually enjoy always been walked on, this will occupy their entire night, stopping them from performing a night action. Additionally, every day you may PM both hosts with "DX - USER1 Me Gusta USER2". Through the power of one of your Rageguy Variant brethren, you will be able to direct the first user's attentions away from their original target and onto the second user's. This does not work on kills, obviously, as it is a day action. Alternatively, you may PM both hosts with "DX - Hold USER's bags while they shut off the music". You will get a fellow Rageguy Variant, Today I Will Listen To X, to play some Katy Perry, which will enrage that user and they will have you hold their bags while they go break the sound system. Because you are so nice, you will say, "Okay" to holding their items, only to steal them.
You currently hold <snip> SANDS. One of your teammates found this item not expecting to find anything, seems things went better than expected. This item does <snip>.
Quote: Okay..

And here we have our victorious faction. Yet they were literally this close: | to losing. Had danmantincan not picked the right item from the SANDS ARENA, the way Nachos was persuading (no lynching and leaving them to their own devices once he had won) + ginga's hook left dan in the losing position, as neither faction could kill until the current kill cycle had ended and the next begun.​

Snype and I would have liked these guys to win over the Really Bad Idling Problems (no offense guys) but I was positive it wasn't going to happen.. mostly because I had forgotten about P.H.Y.L.L.I.S. lol. Still, rather than call it, I let things play out and this is how they went.​

Crux told us he was going to be away and dan just plain wasn't on a whole lot at the start, so von sent their actions and did most of the planning. He didn't really branch out, and eventually he got lynched, I think because he was a good player/Nook randed him (while he was away to boot). Needless to say, he was not pleased with that. But Crux stepped up in his place and dan was just sort of generally online, so the two worked together. They formed voting alliances with Staraptor Call and I think the RBA/RRP - or at least voted the same way. undisputed helped them (read: told dan his actions) but in the end, undisputed came out on the bottom and the RVs on top.​

This faction was actually developed before the Rageguy role. The Rageguy role was the first anti-faction neutral and the only one-faction neutral. Rageguy was weaker kill-wise to make up for that.​

danmantincan: the RV's BG, he stayed alive longer than his teammates.. which is not entirely a good thing when you can't self-protect. This feature pissed undisputed off, but oh well lol. He was also the lynchguard, which was the same role as askaninjask's, however unlike aska, he only had 2 roles, and the faction's safeguard was von's day role. In retrospect, these guys could have had their roles distributed better. dan mostly followed undisputed's suggestions, who was telling him and ginga what to do, however once undisputed and SC were removed, he was on his own. He was initially going to scavenge a different item than the one-time kill, but he changed last-second, and won as a result.​

vonFiedler: the man who began with the only killing item in the game (which gave a lone-man faction a one-time kill), he also led the RVs at the start of the game and founded their channel. I regret having given one faction this item, though I am not sure if von told dan to go for PHYLLIS, it was still a bit unfair that a faction started with this item and thus knew its identity. von was lynched off while he was away, and as this game shows no mercy, by the time he returned it was too late to change anyone's mind. He did good work for his faction at first. He had requested to be an inspector, so he was the RV's inspector. We also placed him on the faction as the really-good-player guy. I knew from prior games that Crux and dan weren't absolute retards (see: Spiffy and smashlloyd) so I figured they would be able to work well with him.​

Crux: although he was gone at the beginning, once he returned/von died, Crux stepped it up to lead the team. He talked to some other neutrals/factions, though the RRP decided to kill him, at the same night undisputed (by then working with the remaining RV and RBA) killed off Quagsires. Funnily enough, had undisputed not had makiri hooked, shade would have died as well, which would have saved Crux because makiri had the highest kill priority in the game. Crux was a pretty competant player, and his alliances left dan in a pretty safe place, regarding undisputed's overpowered threat of a role.​

He was a bit concerned/upset when he died, because he was holding a BPV. I had asked Snype, the item man, what items Crux had since he had several. "The BPV" was not one of the things he said. So Crux died.. and then asked why. Fortunately, we did not actually screw up! The flavor implied he was double-targeted by two different people. The BPV item was not for one night, it was for one targeted kill. So, because two people tried to kill him (shade and ginga), the BPV blocked one but he still died.​

Also he was a good sport about the WHO RAPED LASSIE.. WHY.. thing. Most people had some certain role they filled in the update that was utterly unrelated to their role in the game and he was the suicidal guy. I was sad when he wasn't killed through anal rape/suicide persuasion (Crux's kill flavor).​

The RVs just sort of transitioned PM submitter to PM submitter. von sent them first, then Crux (who had some difficultly realizing what night it was, when he had a kill, and even what his day actions were lol) and finally dan.​

Like the CC, they began and ended the game with all 3 initial members, a fairly impressive feat for how long Crux and dan lived when compared to the RBA. I think this helped them, because there was nobody new to hit the learning curve that was SANDS' design, and they had all been there paying some sort of attention for the game.​

dan attempted to convince Nachos that ginga had a kill, but he was sort of unable to do so because we had told Nachos he'd have enough nights to finish his persuasions (meaning ginga probably would not have had a kill until then).​

These guys win worst hook target award for hooking probably the most docile neutral, Nachos, 4 nights. Which stopped him from winning WAY sooner. dan should consider himself very lucky Nachos never caught on that it was his faction who hooked him, or at least never sought revenge for that. They were paranoid Nachos was with coolking or KingE or something and not convinced at all he was a pretty dang harmless neutral.​

Despite their poor aim, the RVs managed to pull it off. Their role flavors were all based on either their own specific gimmick, or on another Rageguy Variant (Me Gusta, Today I Will Listen to X, etc.) who was not in this game. Snype and I were content these guys won, because they put in effort and Crux definitely established some solid alliances to help dan along once Crux was taken out.​

The Really Bad Artists

Dear ginganinja, you are Fall Out Boy
DANCE DANCE, THIS SONG SOUNDS A LOT LIKE EVERY OTHER ONE YOU SUNG THIS THIS IS THE ONLY BEAT YOU CAN MAKE. You are a pretty bad band because all your songs have indistinguishable lyrics, yet you are an 'edgy pop' sound. They also all sound exactly the same. Not to mention your members are really unfortunate in the looks department. Dance, Dance was probably the best of your sound-alikes, but even then, it's bad. Additionally, you have vowel problems. However, because you have a degree of popularity, you get many chicks wanting to say they screwed a famous guy, so you like SANDS because girls like long walks on the beach and there's SANDS on the beach.

Every night, you may PM both hosts with "NX - Take USER down swinging while you dance, dance". You will attempt to seduce that user, not realizing they are most likely a guy because your main host is one of the few females who plays Mafia, stopping them from performing a night action as you engage in sexual relations. Additionally, every day you may PM both hosts with "DX - Thk USR1 fr USR2s mmrs". You will delete all of the vowels in the first user's target and replace them with the second user's, directing the first user's attentions away from their original target and onto the second user's. This does not work on kills, obviously, as it is a day action.
You are allied with the Really Bad Artists. You win if the Really Bad Artists eliminate all threats. Additionally, you must gain access to the SANDS, and each member still living must hold them. Your team's details are in the next PM.
Quote: lyrics could not be made out to quote.
-
Dear Game Freak201, you are Ke$ha
Do we need to explain why you are a bad artist? All your songs have the same poor autotuning, or just copy a good song and ruin it. Not to mention your lyrics are all trash and your voice should be a crime against intelligent life. Also, you think dental hygiene is sufficiently negated by large quantities of alcohol. Enjoy your dentures. You are in this game because Katy Perry on Sesame Street was better than anything you ever produced, and Lady Gaga is generally better. Because there is obviously sand in your <snip>, or you would be a better singer, you like SANDS. The more the merrier in regards to things up your <snip>.
Every night, you may PM both hosts with "NX - Take USER to a party at a rich dude's house". You will take that user to a party at a rich dude's house, and because rich dudes have good security, any kills attempted on them will not succeed. Additionally, once during the game, you may send in a PM during the day with "DX - Wake USER1 up in the mornin feelin like P USER2". You will make the first user believe they are the second user, and when the second user goes to be lynched, the first will take their place and die instead. USER1 is the user you want to be lynched, USER2 is the user who would have been lynched by majority otherwise. This is a lynch redirect and can only be done once. Additionally, every day you may PM both hosts with "DX - D I N O U S E R". You will spell poorly around that user while attempting to strip, causing them to blurt out their win condition(s) to you in shock.
You currently hold the Duel Disk System. At any night in the game, you may PM both hosts with "NX - Duel disks with USER". This will occupy that user's time the whole night, preventing them from completing whatever night action(s) they had intended to. This item can be stolen and is only good once.
You are allied with the Really Bad Artists. You win if the Really Bad Artists eliminate all threats. Additionally, you must gain access to the SANDS, and each member still living must hold them. Your team's details are in the next PM.
Quote: I am cannibal.
-
Dear wickdaggler, you are Justin Bieber
You are without a doubt the worst member of your faction. Once you hit puberty, your career will be shot, because nobody will think lesbian hair on an acne-ridden guy with a cracking, low voice is attractive, even your mentally-crippled tweenage fans who finger themselves to your high-pitched voice now. I presume you offer oral sex to rappers to get them on your CDs, because you certainly have nothing to actually offer in the musical world. Because you enjoy shoving weird things up your undeveloped <snip>, you have decided to seek out SANDS, since you like the feel of sand in your penile tract.
Every night, you may PM both hosts with "NX - Walk into a door away from USER". You will prove you are a moron and walk into a glass door and proceed to cry in the opposite direction of that user, dragging everyone's attention onto you as they wonder how anyone could be that stupid. Killers will disregard your idiocy and complete their goals, however. Additionally, every day you may PM both hosts with "DX - Baby, baby, USER". You will sing one of your stupid love songs to that user, not understanding what is actually going on. They will think you are either so adorably dumb or so mentally crippled they will let their guard down, allowing you to take whatever items they may have.
You currently hold <snip> MUDS. One of your teammates obtained this rare and valuable item after being shoved into it by a girl who didn't want to dance, dance with his disco stick. This item does <snip>.
Quote: Interviewer: Do you have a Valentine this year?
Justin: I have one person that I'll be sending flowers to and that's my mom. She's been there since the beginning and has given up a lot for me, I'm very blessed to have her. She likes roses, so I think I might send her the One Less Lonely Girl bouquet.

Let me just say that had the likes of Justin Bieber and Kesha won this game, I'd have been forever shamed. I did enjoy writing the flavor for these guys, probably because there were so many good disses available for really bad artists. Close contenders to make this faction were: Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, any country singer, but in the end, these 3 were the most terrible.

This was also our least favorite faction. They had consistent idling problems or just plain PMed late, if at all. Needless to say, as hosts we were not amused with their antics. They also hold the record for substitutions. ArcticBlast was subbed due to his chronic last-second PMs/idling, then LifeAdmiral requested to be subbed out due to something that came up, and finally ginganinja came into the picture. Game Freak was never subbed out but he also never really did a whole lot either. wickdaggler requested to be subbed out as he was going to be away, but we shouldn't have bothered, because UncleSam died that cycle lol.​

wickdaggler negotiated for the the SANDS (and MUDS) from SCall, who took them promptly back to redistribute and accomplish his WC. Eventually, ginga was randed the SANDS back. These guys were chronic idlers and they were just not really doing a lot for themselves. Eventually, once ginga subbed in he hooked up with undisputed and managed to survive until the end.​

THEY WOULD HAVE WON had ginga either gone for PHYLLIS as well, or had dan not gone for it like he initially wasn't. If dan had pulled the anti-hook item, as I think there was one left, they'd have lost, because the RBAs had the lowest kill priority, or at least lower than the RVs.​

ginga: I'm not really gonna talk about the other two because ArcticIDLE didn't do much (wick mostly sent his actions) and Life was subbed out too quickly. ginga got his mess together, after being told what all was going on to the extent that us as hosts could tell him. His initial endgame actions were overridden by undisputed, which turned out pretty well for him, up until dan outsmarted him with the items. Being a night hooker left alive, he was definitely in the better position to win, as hooks stopped kills in this game. However, they did not influence items. The only thing that would've saved him was having a BG or BPV.​

Game Freak201: I honestly don't remember much about him lol.. I think he voted? He sent in his actions but he never really led the team and he was killed Night Five, before most of the action went down. This also left his team with only one person for the longest amount of time. Fortunately, none of the Fall Out Boy subs ever drew much attention to themselves.​

wickdaggler/US: wick started the faction off with the actions.. and everyone decided he was too dang ugly so they tried to lynch him Day 1 lol. His faction disagreed and used their one-time lynch redirect to get rid of poor Improbability. wick did alright while he was still around, but then requested to sub out and we got UncleSam in.. who then died. Sorry lol.​

Snype and I were not really fond of how these guys played. They were a thorn in our activity levels until finally ginga was the only one left and, as a lone wolf, put in effort. We can't fault his playing, and he would've won, but man this faction was annoying. So props to ginga for coming very close to victory.​

These guys honestly got down to the final two factions through luck.. the more vocal factions or better players were eliminated/undisputed had randed them to be his friends, and ginga just fortunately ducked under the radar and managed to survive when he otherwise could have been killed off.​

BRO FACTIONS

Each faction had some combination of: BG, SG, hooker, inspector, a lynch-protecting role (redirection, guard, stop), a thief, and some had a third role on one of their members. Unfortunately, these auxillary roles (they were notably not the initial action the role was given) were rarely used, in favor of their more influential/useful alternative.​

The lynchguard successfully worked for the RVs at least once, meanwhile I don't believe the RRP or (C) JH ever had chance to make use of their lynch roles.​

I definitely think the roles could have been assigned better and distributed differently, as some factions had their roles-that-need-a-safeguard at Day/Night and their SG was Night/Day respectively. But that didn't seem to be too much of a problem. The overlapping BG/SG vs. BG and SG roles on factions may have been a bit unfair.​

In some capacity, each faction, minus the (C) JH, managed to get their SANDS/MUDS. Then we lost the real MUDS and nobody could tell us where they were, which was no matter, because the RVs had accomplished that portion of their WC and, surprise, there were only two MUDS-seeking factions.​

Most factions had a leader that we either went to or who stepped up (usually the most experienced guy) to send in actions and that role was passed down as people died off.​

Unfortunately, there was like no fake claiming, which made me sad, because this game's limited information was supposed to allow for mass fake claims and neutrals to form alliances and fake claim as a faction, hence the 15 names in the start. Some neutrals even thought this was an all-neutral game. Oh well.​

A faction who lost two people essentially became a wolf. That last member could kill and had their action but they were going it alone. That's something to consider in 4+ faction games, is you can only have so many people on a faction and when they're gone, if the faction isn't wiped out promptly you will have several new wolves running about. With the exception that they can win alongside peaceful, non-threat neutrals.​

Overall, I was content with the activity level of the factions, which was encouraged by the use of "you can have one person PM". Still, for less than active leaders, this meant some factions did skip their roles.​

Anyway, I am sick, and bored of writing. SO I will cut this off and get Snype to write some about the neutrals, since he designed more of their roles than the factions'.​

Expect the second part to be up within the next week.​

Ok I have no idea what is up with the trucked up lines/the double Hide codes.. maybe it's from pasting from Word? The first part at the least.. this is nuts lol why does Smogon keep font styles ~_~ search me as to why it's got all these triple line breaks and the double hide codes, I've tried to delete them but they just come back when I hit save so... deal? Unless a mod knows how to straighten this out.​

Crux

Banned deucer.
I was only taken out due to a misunderstanding between myself and the hosts concerning my bpv. If I had known it was only a one off, I would have had Dan by on me instead of undisputed, and we wouldn't have had to rely on PHYLLIS to win. Dan knew to get that item, because von had it originally iirc. I enjoyed this game and will post more of my thoughts when p2 comes up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)