Sandshrew [QC 2/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

Overview
########

Pros
-Decent physical bulk
-Rapid Spin
-Knock Off
Cons
-Mostly outclassed by Drilbur. Drilbur has a higher stat in everything except Defense, and also has access to Rapid Spin. Sandshrew only has a higher Defense, which allows it to be a better bulky pivot, and Knock Off. Drilbur is usually the better choice, though some stall teams might want Sandshrew.
-Bad special bulk
-Defog buff makes Rapid Spin less important
-Weather nerf means permanent sand, its best niche last gen, is gone

Rapid Spin
########
name: Rapid Spin
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Knock Off
move 4: Stealth Rock / Rock Slide
item: Eviolite
ability: Sand Rush
nature: Impish
evs: 116 HP / 156 Atk / 156 Def / 36 SpD / 36 Spe

Moves
========

-Rapid Spin is the only reason to use Sandshrew
-Earthquake is powerful STAB
-Knock Off is Knock Off, great option on anyone who gets it, and can hit Ghosts who try to spinblock (if anyone still does that)
-SR is an important move for every team
-Rock Slide can be used over SR if you have another setter on your team. It gives perfect coverage in LC.

Set Details
========

-EVs are more geared towards bulk
-Once bulk is maxed out, the rest go to attack and speed
-Eviolite is all but mandatory on defensive/support Pokemon, and brings Sandrew's Special Defense from awful (10) to passable (15)
-If your opponent brings in sand, the speed boost from Sand Rush is nice (brings you from 11 to 22 Speed)

Usage Tips
========

-Only has a home on hazard-stacking stall teams
-Should be brought in on an Electric move (not from Chinchou) or physical attack to maximize longevity. Most physical attackers without SE moves are safe for Sandshrew to come in on. Damage calcs will come soon if needed.
-If it has SR, it can lead, otherwise wait until later
-If it doesn't have SR, first priority should always be to spin.

Team Options
========

-Pairs well with SR weak Pokemon, as it can remove the rocks for them
-Trubbish and Ferroseed are good defensive Spikers
-Misdreavus can spinblock and take special hits
-Pawniard makes the opponent think twice about Defogging rocks that Sandshrew might set and Spikes that its team members might set away, and resists Grass and Ice
-A cleric like Lickitung or Spritzee, as Sandshrew has no recovery
-Bulky Chinchou/Cotonee/Munchlax all resist some of its weaknesses and can take special attacks

Other Options
########

-Berry Juice for recovery
-Onslaught core with Drilbur and Hippopotas
-Sand Veil if you don't care about the speed and feel like being haxy

Checks & Counters
########

-Ghosts stop it from spinning, though they don't like Knock Off
-Misdreaveus
-Gastly
-Strong special attackers
-Murkrow
-Chinchou
-Porygon
-Misdreaveus
-Grass, Water, and Ice moves, all of which are usually special
-Chinchou
-Carvahna
-Tirtouga
-Slowpoke
-Snover
-Foongus
-Common Defoggers or Spinners
-Vullaby
-Drilbur
-Archen
-Staryu

----

Last edited:
since im to lazy to retype everything:
I know this is heavily WIP, but I don't see any real reason to run the Swords Dance set in today's meta. Sand is off the map now, and 14 speed is just crappy for a sweeper. I'd suggest moving the SD set to OO once you have more work done on this, thus making the Support set (rename it rapid spin btw) the only set. I would also make the Rapid Spin set much more bulky, specifically 196 HP / 76 Atk / 156 Def / 36 SDef / 36 Spe with an Impish nature. The Attack EVs make sure you can 2HKO Misdreavus (assuming you don't get burned, even then if you hit it with a max roll before you are burned, you will 2HKO), while the defenses give you Eviolite numbers and good overall bulk. 36 Spe is filler, but I guess it lets you hit 22 speed if sand rush gets activated, however unlikely.

edit: also even if you get burned you get a guaranteed 2HKO on non-Eviolite missy, and the 2hko has a high chance of happening after stealth Rock if you get burned the second time (18% chance to fail, or two low rolls)
just make sure implement all that stuff before you move on to qc. also DO NOT EMPHASIZE SANDSHREW IN WEATHER its niche is a bulky rapid spinner. i suggest removing anything that has to do with sandshrew being used in sand. sand is a mediocre playstyle at best right now, and even then running a drilbur + sandshrew core with sand gives terrible defensive synergy and is just plain ineffective. to clarify what the set should look like:

Rapid Spin
########
move 4: Rock Slide / Stealth Rock
evs: 116 HP / 76 Atk / 156 Def / 36 SpD / 36 Spe

Mowtom

just make sure implement all that stuff before you move on to qc. also DO NOT EMPHASIZE SANDSHREW IN WEATHER its niche is a bulky rapid spinner. i suggest removing anything that has to do with sandshrew being used in sand. sand is a mediocre playstyle at best right now, and even then running a drilbur + sandshrew core with sand gives terrible defensive synergy and is just plain ineffective. to clarify what the set should look like:

Rapid Spin
########
move 4: Rock Slide / Stealth Rock
evs: 116 HP / 76 Atk / 156 Def / 36 SpD / 36 Spe
Got it. I will implement that. Just a few quick questions:
1) There are 88 leftover EVs on the set you suggested. Should I put 80 of them in HP? Attack? I'll do HP for now...
2) Can I move the stuff about sand to other options?
3) Should Sand Veil get a mention? Since the Ability has to activate in sand, i think the extra miss chance would be more helpful.
4) What does Sandshrew have to not be outclassed completely by Drilbur? A higher Defense, Knock Off...Is that it?

Thanks for your feedback!

Got it. I will implement that. Just a few quick questions:
1) There are 88 leftover EVs on the set you suggested. Should I put 80 of them in HP? Attack? I'll do HP for now...
2) Can I move the stuff about sand to other options?
3) Should Sand Veil get a mention? Since the Ability has to activate in sand, i think the extra miss chance would be more helpful.
4) What does Sandshrew have to not be outclassed completely by Drilbur? A higher Defense, Knock Off...Is that it?

Thanks for your feedback!
oh silly me, i seem to have done my math wrong. i would put it in atk for now, since it lets you deal with evio missy easier. yeah mention using it on dedicated sand in oo, same with sand veil. imo the speed would be more helpful than the evasion boost anyways.

sandshrew has superior physical bulk, which lets it act more as a bulky pivot. it also has knock off which is cool for dealing with ghosts. drilbur overall is the superior choice, but i suppose stall teams that utilize hazard stacking would like it.

Mowtom

sandshrew has superior physical bulk, which lets it act more as a bulky pivot. it also has knock off which is cool for dealing with ghosts. drilbur overall is the superior choice, but i suppose stall teams that utilize hazard stacking would like it.
In which section could I talk about Sandshrew vs. Drilbur? I'm kind of new at this...

EDIT: Thanks!

Last edited:

Mowtom

Oops. I think I forgot to change that when copy-pasting. Fixed now.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
'If your opponent brings in sand, the speed boost from Sand Rush is nice' what's the new speed?

'Should be brought in on an Electric move or physical attack to maximize longevity' but not chinchou

team options should be much more detailed.
stuff to take on waters/grasses/defoggers etc...

other options
berry juice i guess sicne it doesn't get recovery

checks and counters
just buff this up again. mention deffogers/rapid spinners which take away SR

will qc check this once you have buffed up team options and checks and counters sections

Mowtom

'If your opponent brings in sand, the speed boost from Sand Rush is nice' what's the new speed?

'Should be brought in on an Electric move or physical attack to maximize longevity' but not chinchou

team options should be much more detailed.
stuff to take on waters/grasses/defoggers etc...

other options
berry juice i guess sicne it doesn't get recovery

checks and counters
just buff this up again. mention deffogers/rapid spinners which take away SR

will qc check this once you have buffed up team options and checks and counters sections
Thanks for looking! Should I switch SR and Rock Slide on the set? Your comments seem to mostly be focused on SR for Team Options and Checks & Counters...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)