Sandstorm Team

So, I had made a Sandstorm Team earlier, and I have since revised it and I could use some more feedback on how this team looks/could be improved upon.

1. Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 60 HP/ 252 Atk/ 196 Spe
Nature: Adamant
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-X-Scissor
-Protect

So, this guy is a new addition to my team, I am using him because he allows me to have another powerful way to kill those pesky Cresselias, and Lati@s, namely X-Scissor. I use this move in conjunction with the Bug Gem in order to get a needed KO. Earthquake is one of his most powerful STAB moves and its also an area move so that's nice. Rock Slide is fun to use alongside Tyranitar's Rock Slide in the hopes of having a high chance for flinch. Protect is obvious doubles play.

2. Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 SpD
Nature: Adamant
-Crunch
-Fire Punch
-Protect
-Rock Slide

Generally I start with Tyranitar and Excadrill in order for Excadrill's mediocre Speed to be doubled. Crunch is helpful for killing any pesky Psychic or Ghost type Pokémon. Fire Punch is handy if my Blaziken goes down in order to kill any Grass types or levitating Steel types. Protect is standard Doubles fare. Rock Slide like I mentioned before is fun to get the double flinch on the opposing team, especially if I feel that they might be switching out, so Tyranitar's middling Speed is not a worry to me.

3. Rotom-Wash @ Thunder Gem
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 SpAtk/ 252 Spe
Nature: Modest
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power (Ice)
-Protect
-Hydro Pump

This guy is either my versatile sweeper that I might start off with one of my other Pokémon if my original starting pair, Tyranitar and Excadrill, fail to have many advantages over what seems like the other player will throw out, he can also be my revenge Dragon killer. Thunderbolt helps get rid of any nasty Politoeds who might ruin my Sand Rush strategy. Hidden Power (Ice) kills most Dragons in 2-3 hits, generally 2. Protect is once again standard Doubles fare. Hydro Pump is very helpful with getting rid of some Fire types and any Ground or Rock Types that I may not be able to dispose of.

4. Blaziken @ Fighting Gem
Ability: Speed Boost
Evs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
-Blaze Kick
-Rock Slide
-Sky Uppercut
-Protect

This guy is what I generally use to lead with Rotom-Wash if Tyranitar and Excadrill can't get the job done. Blaze Kick is great for getting rid of those pesky Amoongusses who might just put all my Pokémon to sleep. Rock Slide spam is fun to screw with the other team, alongside Sand Rushed Excadrill in order to get as much of a high chance for flinching as I can. Sky Uppercut helps get rid of any stalling Steel Types that don't resist it. Protect is so he can get a turn of free Speed Boost.

5. Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Atk/ 126 Def/ 126 SpDef
Nature: Sassy/ Relaxed
-Gyro Ball
-Power Whip
-Leech Seed
-Protect

This guy is fun to rack up the damage while not taking too much damage. If I see that a physical attack may be coming I switch to him so that the Pokémon hitting Ferrothorn takes 25% damage from him. Gyro Ball is perfect for Ferrothorn, it takes advantage of his pitiful Speed to do more damage. Power Whip is really nice for hitting any stray Rock, Ground, or Water types. Leech Seed is sometimes handy for healing but other than that it doesn't offer me much. If you could help me decide which Nature I should use and if I should keep Leech seed or not I would be grateful.

6. Tornadus @ Flying Gem
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
-Acrobatics
-Taunt
-Tailwind
-Superpower/Protect

Tornadus is another offensive Pokémon I added so Blaziken can have another move slot in place of Brave Bird. Acrobatics hits like a semi-truck with its brakes cut when used for the first time. Taunt is very useful to cripple Cresellia trying to set up Trick Room or whatnot. Tailwind is helpful to get the slower Pokémon on my team such as Tyranitar and Ferrothorn up and going. I like Superpower because it allows me to have another Fighting type move if Blaziken does not seem to have much use against the opposing team. But on the flip side I am missing a Protecting move, so I'm not sure if I should give him Protect in place of Superpower or not.

This is my team I like it, but it could definitely be improved upon. Just for reference, this is the Garchomp and Jellicent I switched out of my team for my new Excadrill and Tornadus respectively.

7. Garchomp @ Dragon Gem
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
-Dragon Claw
-Protect
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide

Dragon Claw is great STAB and Dragon Gem adds nice damage. Protect=standard doubles play. Earthquake is fun to get some damage racked up on the team and is even better with a type advantage. Rock Slide is also fun to get as high a chance for double flinch as possible.

This is the Jellicent I switched out for Tornadus, any argument for or against keeping or getting rid of it.

8. Jellicent @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP/ 216 Def/ 16 SpAtk/ 24 SpDef
Nature: Relaxed
-Scald
-Trick Room
-Shadow Ball
-Recover
This guy is nice to pair with the other slower Pokémon in my team, Ferrothorn; Tyranitar; and Rotom-Wash, so that I can use Trick Room if I see it necessary. Scald is a nice STAB move and that burn can be really helpful in a pinch. Shadow Ball is nice to deal some damage to any Ghost or Psychic Pokémon. This guy doesn't need Protect because he is already so bulky, so I gave him Recover in order to become even more bulky.

Last edited:
Hi, you have a pretty nice SS team. I'd definitely consider changing around some items, moves and EVs, possibly even changing a Pokemon.

On Excradrill, you have a really nice set and EV spread. I'd try something like Life Orb over Bug Gem. You'll be hitting harder with every move, rather than only XS. Also, I'd try Proetct > Sub / XS because of those common, pesky conkeldurr.

If you try LO on Exca, I'd consider a Fire Gem or Fighting Gem on Blaziken. This will boost his STABs to really strong levels.

Since your team is a little grass & conkeldurr weak, I'd try Tornadus > Jellicent. Even though Jellicent is nice in this metagame, I think the ground coverage will do well by itself. Torn can also boost Exca / Chomp's speed w/ tailwind and is free to levitate away from their EQs.

Speaking of Jellicent, your EVs are all over the place xP First, 252 HP / 212 Def / 12 SpAtk / 20 SpDef would save EVs. I'd pump them all into SpAtk or SpDef.

Hope this helps!

~tlyee61

Thank you very much for this rate! I will look into Tornadus to replace Jellicent. If you had this team, you would prefer Tornadus over Thundurus correct? I will also change around the items that my team is carrying. Thanks again, if I modify it, could i ask you to maybe take another look at it?

Ok so I just updated this thread, if any raters want me to bold what I changed I can do that so yea I apologize if this is against the rules but it seemed like I could bump it again if I made some significant changes which I did, so yea thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)