SPOILERS! Scarlet & Violet Leaks Thread - Data/Mechanics

Mechanic-based form changes are a huge game design mistake for this franchise in particular if you’re not going to support that mechanic indefinitely. This is a franchise that wants you to obsessively love creatures, makes extra special creatures, and then throws them away. Wild business choice.

They all should’ve just become an item-based regular evolutions after the sunsetting of their mechanic. A single Mega Stone that evolves all of the Megas, a single Gigantamax Stone that evolves Pokemon into their Giga forms that would have remixed stats that focus on HP, etc.

Tbh it's a pity the megas, gigantamax etc are locked forever to their gens
Mechanic-based form changes are a huge game design mistake if you’re not going to support that mechanic indefinitely. This is a franchise that wants you to obsessively love creatures, makes extra special creatures, and then throws them away. Wild business choice.

They all should’ve just become an item-based regular evolution after the sunsetting of their mechanic. A single Mega Stone that evolves all of the Megas, a single Gigantamax Stone that evolves Pokemon into their Giga forms that would have remixed stats that focus on HP, etc.
Yesn't.

Gamefreaks has said they don't consider out of the water the chance to reintroduce the mechanics later on if the generation is appropriate.

If at some point they decide to revisit mega evolution as "gen 15 supermechanics", they will return.

It's also possible that back when designing Megas, they were not intending it to be a temporary mechanic, and only decided that mechanics would not carry over between gens somewhere during gen 7 development (iirc, in a interview, it was stated that including megas in gen 7 was a late decision due to their popularity). Ultimately, while items have come and go between gens, mechanics were never actually "cut off" until gen 8.

Regardless, "introducing a mechanic just for a single entry" is nothing weird and something other series or long time running games do as well (some so egregiously that they were being criticized for it, like World of Warcraft for the abuse of "borrowed power"), I don't see why Pokemon specifically should be forbidden from doing so other than "but muh mega charizard" fanboying.

Pokemon should logically have *something* that sets it apart from other rpgs, and should be focusing on improving that aspect more than homogenizing itself. For me, that used to be the wealth of options derived from both strong continuity and symmetry between player/npc stats. With those pillars eroded, I'm increasingly getting my fix elsewhere. So what does define pokemon, since my definition is apparently wrong?

If at some point they decide to revisit mega evolution as "gen 15 supermechanics", they will return.
I imagine it’ll be the generation when X/Y get the remake treatment.

It's also possible that back when designing Megas, they were not intending it to be a temporary mechanic, and only decided that mechanics would not carry over between gens somewhere during gen 7 development
I agee and think you’re probably exactly right here.

Regardless, "introducing a mechanic just for a single entry" is nothing weird and something other series or long time running games do as well (some so egregiously that they were being criticized for it, like World of Warcraft for the abuse of "borrowed power"), I don't see why Pokemon specifically should be forbidden from doing so other than "but muh mega charizard" fanboying.
Just to be clear, I don’t have a problem with generational mechanics as a concept. I just think tying specific creatures to them in a creature collection franchise to be a very strange choice. It incentivizes the player to not get attached to them when normally that’s what Pokemon is trying to do at all times.

it’ll be interesting to see what happens with Terapagos and Ogrepon next gen.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Gamefreaks has said they don't consider out of the water the chance to reintroduce the mechanics later on if the generation is appropriate.
And yet, two generations so far, Mega Evolution haven’t returned. You may call that one too early to conclude, but I doubt that Mega Evolution will return in Gen 10 considering that Dynamax (+ Gigantamax) and Terastalization overlaps with Mega Evolution in terms of power boost that comes with cosmetic change, GF would end up going for another excuse to not use Mega Evolution in favor of another super mechanic that interact with another important aspect of the gameplay, such as Abilities.

And considering how awful the power creep have gone into in SV competitive - part of the blame is nerfing too many old Pokémon to the ground despite not even being problematic in the past unlike Zacian - bringing Mega Evolution the next generation would only make things even worse unless GF rebalances the mechanic to some extent.

They all should’ve just become an item-based regular evolutions after the sunsetting of their mechanic. A single Mega Stone that evolves all of the Megas, a single Gigantamax Stone that evolves Pokemon into their Giga forms that would have remixed stats that focus on HP, etc.
Not all of them (Gyarados and Aerodactyl doesn’t really need to evolve for one, and second evolutions can’t evolve further), but considering that Duraludon will be able to evolve into Archaludon starting at December 13th this year, and how Dynamax is comparatively powerful to, if not even stronger than, Mega Evolution, Pokémon that got special super forms could get a new evolution that instead go for a wholly different direction, like how Archaludon is very different from G-Max Duraludon conceptually.

So what does define pokemon, since my definition is apparently wrong?
Realistically speaking, this is a "per person" answer that you shouldn't be asking others.

I can tell you that *for me* Pokemon main defining aspect is the varied design, and i'll be met with a horde of people complaining about how most recent designs are all boring and useless.
I can tell you that Pokemon defining aspect is that it's the only monster collector RPG with a serious and complicated PvP scene and I'll be met with a horde of smogoners telling me that GameFreaks is incompetent and have no clue of what they're doing.
I can tell you that Pokemon have a enticing gameplay and nice customizability, and I'll be met with a horde of redditors complaining that the games are so easy there's no fun in playing them
You have to find your own answer to this question.

it’ll be interesting to see what happens with Terapagos and Ogrepon next gen.
If you think of it, it's not difficult to predict.
Ogerpon has a terastal gimmick sure, but his form change is not linked to Terastalization and the various masks can carry over just fine as they basically work same as Arceus forms.
Terapagos is probably the same, it'll just lose whatever terastal gimmick it has.

And yet, two generations so far, Mega Evolution haven’t returned. You may call that one too early to conclude, but I doubt that Mega Evolution will return in Gen 10 considering that Dynamax (+ Gigantamax) and Terastalization overlaps with Mega Evolution in terms of power boost that comes with cosmetic change, GF would end up going for another excuse to not use Mega Evolution in favor of another super mechanic that interact with another important aspect of the gameplay, such as Abilities.

And considering how awful the power creep have gone into in SV competitive - part of the blame is nerfing too many old Pokémon to the ground despite not even being problematic in the past unlike Zacian - bringing Mega Evolution the next generation would only make thigns even worse unless GF rebalances the mechanic to some extent.
I would not expect any of the mechanics to ever return unless either
- generational remake happens (which is pretty close, assuming we're about to be getting gen 5, the next in line is the Mega generation)
- they simply decide "ok we don't need to make a new mechanic for this generation, let's bring back a old one".

Fwiw it's pretty obvious to me that right now they're experimenting with "how far" the supermechanic can go. The power budget allocated to the supermechanic had a steady increase from "superform with item cost" to "massive nuke with item cost" to "temporary superform with no downside" to now "permanent superform with up and downside". We can't be in their head for when they decide that "it's enough let's try revisiting a old one now", but they themselves specifically said that "they may bring them back when they feel like it" as it's their way of designing the games (remove and bring back aspects based on what they feel is appropriate. Es, they removed Gyms in gen 7, then brought them back in gen 8)

Realistically speaking, this is a "per person" answer that you shouldn't be asking others.

I can tell you that *for me* Pokemon main defining aspect is the varied design, and i'll be met with a horde of people complaining about how most recent designs are all boring and useless.
I can tell you that Pokemon defining aspect is that it's the only monster collector RPG with a serious and complicated PvP scene and I'll be met with a horde of smogoners telling me that GameFreaks is incompetent and have no clue of what they're doing.
I can tell you that Pokemon have a enticing gameplay and nice customizability, and I'll be met with a horde of redditors complaining that the games are so easy there's no fun in playing them
You have to find your own answer to this question.
See, that's the thing. I have an answer for myself. It just doesn't correspond to what the post-dexit games are, so I'm met with a horde of people saying that it's never going to happen again.

See, that's the thing. I have an answer for myself. It just doesn't correspond to what the post-dexit games are, so I'm met with a horde of people saying that it's never going to happen again.
Well I mean....Forcing yourself to change your definition isn't going to really work to make you like it gain, and the games aren't in a hurry to meet that definition

There's nothing wrong with just walking away from the series that doesn't interest you any more. If it ever does come back to what you like, cool, but I don't think much good is going to come from constantly immersing yourself in and being pestered by a series that doesnt like you back.

We are stuck taking Anubis's word vs. Khu's, then. I want to see the "limited info they didn't stub" in this case because, in a way, isn't all datamined info derived from this? If they're all blank slots, then I have reason to doubt, but if someone left scars of "F.E.", "W.S.", "L.K." (the 3 Legendary Beasts), "HBa", "KBa" (Glastrier and Spectrier), and more, then we have reason to believe...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Yye1AyvZmL8ZOO9L5UKEht1taJcUZipu8IcU/pubhtml#

tl;dr: The new item names are sorted in Japanese/Korean/Simplified Chinese. Some items seem to fit legendary names (next to LGPE candy) which is where the guesses come from. There is nothing to conclude about their being static encounters or shiny locked or not.

Pokemon should logically have *something* that sets it apart from other rpgs, and should be focusing on improving that aspect more than homogenizing itself. For me, that used to be the wealth of options derived from both strong continuity
Is this intended to be "continuity in gameplay between entries in the series, including aspects like moves/abilities/stats and the ability to keep all of these when transferring a Pokémon to newer games," or is it referring to story/character continuity? The latter started to break around Gen 6, especially with ORAS.

and symmetry between player/npc stats. With those pillars eroded, I'm increasingly getting my fix elsewhere. So what does define pokemon, since my definition is apparently wrong?
Okay, you're going to have to explain this to me, because player/NPC stats have basically never been symmetrical.

• Across the whole series, stat exp/EVs have generally made your Pokémon stronger than those of NPCs. I may be wrong on this, but it was only in Gen 7 that they started giving EVs to trainers in the main story, and this got heavily reduced in usage after Gen 7, though it still exists.
  • Gens 1-3 had badge boosts which gave player Pokémon an edge over your opponents.
  • In the newer games especially, player Pokémon are more likely to be holding useful items; as a general rule, very few trainers use held items unless it's a random healing berry, or if they're a "route boss" intended to show off some sort of strategy.
  • Team composition is another big one. Player teams are almost always more balanced in terms of Pokémon choice and level, and they also almost always have a bigger team. The only trainers with 6 Pokémon tend to be late-game rival battles, culminating bosses, or meme opponents (Magikarp trainers/Pokémon breeders).
  • When super mechanics were introduced in gen 6, the player typically has more agency (in other words, they're not limited by being a basic AI) to use said mechanics. Mega Evolution was rather restricted until the postgame for both players and NPCs in the games it existed. While it was mostly just bosses that used Z-moves, the occasional route boss could use them, too. Dynamaxing and Terastallization are restricted to bosses (though even the player can only Dynamax in a select few spots).
  • The games from XY onward also have the issue of the team-wide Experience Share, which typically means the player Pokémon will be higher leveled than NPCs, though this is dependent on how much players explore and participate in optional battles.
With all that said, the data structure for player and NPC data is and has always been symmetrical. So again, please explain this point to me, because I don't get it at all.

Man...I want Ultra Necrozma back. Like just make an item that allows Necrozma to change forms. You don't need him to have a Z-Move to go full Dragon mode....
My theory is that Necrozma needs a lot of light to go Plus Ultra Instinct. And the Terastal Phenomenon creates a lot of light.
Tbh it's a pity the megas, gigantamax etc are locked forever to their gens
Megas are also in Gen 7
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Yye1AyvZmL8ZOO9L5UKEht1taJcUZipu8IcU/pubhtml#

tl;dr: The new item names are sorted in Japanese/Korean/Simplified Chinese. Some items seem to fit legendary names (next to LGPE candy) which is where the guesses come from. There is nothing to conclude about their being static encounters or shiny locked or not.
Well shit

Ok, I have to say some things about Mega Evolution, and some of these might be hot takes, why I am sharing them here is because I am seeing a lot of discussion about Mega Evolution.
Mega Evolution doesn't fix Pokemon, it just gives them a new form that is (generally) far more powerful then their base form, what these Pokemon need aren't new forms, its direct buffs, like the Gen 7 stat buffs to some weaker Pokemon, or Gallade getting Sharpness, these Pokemon need ability changes, stat buffs, not a new form that'll last 1, maybe 2 generations at most.

If you think of it, it's not difficult to predict.
Ogerpon has a terastal gimmick sure, but his form change is not linked to Terastalization and the various masks can carry over just fine as they basically work same as Arceus forms.
Terapagos is probably the same, it'll just lose whatever terastal gimmick it has.
The thing is while Ogerpon does this fine with the Terastal just being an extension of its Mask Gimmick, Terapagos is by all looks going to be defined by its Terastal gimmick both mechanically and flavor-fully, even compared to Ultra Necrozma (Triggered by a Z-move but already a temp form in lore that abuses an outside power) and Eternamax Eternatus (who is the source of Dynamax power but still depicted as a formidable Legendary with a unique form that the mechanic is moreso imitating).

The problem I run into is Gamefreak and TPC needs to stop designing specific Pokemon as showcases of the mechanic rather than setpieces and region integration if the mechanics are not intended for consistent carrying forward.

SV almost follows this pattern in the wrong direction: the Gym Leaders and final Koraidon/Miraidon battle show off the mechanic without it being intrinsic to the Pokemon themselves, moreso a show off for the characters; Ogerpon has a special version but unique enough that the Terastal mechanic builds on it rather than being the foundation; and then Terapagos is literally the Tera Pokemon and implicit source of the energy.

The thing is while Ogerpon does this fine with the Terastal just being an extension of its Mask Gimmick, Terapagos is by all looks going to be defined by its Terastal gimmick both mechanically and flavor-fully, even compared to Ultra Necrozma (Triggered by a Z-move but already a temp form in lore that abuses an outside power) and Eternamax Eternatus (who is the source of Dynamax power but still depicted as a formidable Legendary with a unique form that the mechanic is moreso imitating).

The problem I run into is Gamefreak and TPC needs to stop designing specific Pokemon as showcases of the mechanic rather than setpieces and region integration if the mechanics are not intended for consistent carrying forward.

SV almost follows this pattern in the wrong direction: the Gym Leaders and final Koraidon/Miraidon battle show off the mechanic without it being intrinsic to the Pokemon themselves, moreso a show off for the characters; Ogerpon has a special version but unique enough that the Terastal mechanic builds on it rather than being the foundation; and then Terapagos is literally the Tera Pokemon and implicit source of the energy.
Terapagos probably will function just fine without the terastal mechanic, since it likely has a 3rd form that fully leans into it while the "boxart" form probably does something else with the type gimmick (& will be fully functional without it most likely)

While I agree, we don't actually know what / how Terapagos works so it's kinda too early to speculate on it.

For all we know, even if his gimmick is strictly linked to Terastal so can't be replicated in future, it could also easily be "moveified" in the future, es like Kommo-o's signature Z-move just became Clangorous Soul.

I am going to pretend I understood any of what I just read
Terapagos probably will function just fine without the terastal mechanic, since it likely has a 3rd form that fully leans into it while the "boxart" form probably does something else with the type gimmick (& will be fully functional without it most likely)
I agree that the third from will be a Terastal Exclusive form, but one hopefully usable in battle
While I agree, we don't actually know what / how Terapagos works so it's kinda too early to speculate on it.

For all we know, even if his gimmick is strictly linked to Terastal so can't be replicated in future, it could also easily be "moveified" in the future, es like Kommo-o's signature Z-move just became Clangorous Soul.
A movification is also possible

Is this intended to be "continuity in gameplay between entries in the series, including aspects like moves/abilities/stats and the ability to keep all of these when transferring a Pokémon to newer games," or is it referring to story/character continuity? The latter started to break around Gen 6, especially with ORAS.

Okay, you're going to have to explain this to me, because player/NPC stats have basically never been symmetrical.

• Across the whole series, stat exp/EVs have generally made your Pokémon stronger than those of NPCs. I may be wrong on this, but it was only in Gen 7 that they started giving EVs to trainers in the main story, and this got heavily reduced in usage after Gen 7, though it still exists.
  • Gens 1-3 had badge boosts which gave player Pokémon an edge over your opponents.
  • In the newer games especially, player Pokémon are more likely to be holding useful items; as a general rule, very few trainers use held items unless it's a random healing berry, or if they're a "route boss" intended to show off some sort of strategy.
  • Team composition is another big one. Player teams are almost always more balanced in terms of Pokémon choice and level, and they also almost always have a bigger team. The only trainers with 6 Pokémon tend to be late-game rival battles, culminating bosses, or meme opponents (Magikarp trainers/Pokémon breeders).
  • When super mechanics were introduced in gen 6, the player typically has more agency (in other words, they're not limited by being a basic AI) to use said mechanics. Mega Evolution was rather restricted until the postgame for both players and NPCs in the games it existed. While it was mostly just bosses that used Z-moves, the occasional route boss could use them, too. Dynamaxing and Terastallization are restricted to bosses (though even the player can only Dynamax in a select few spots).
  • The games from XY onward also have the issue of the team-wide Experience Share, which typically means the player Pokémon will be higher leveled than NPCs, though this is dependent on how much players explore and participate in optional battles.
With all that said, the data structure for player and NPC data is and has always been symmetrical. So again, please explain this point to me, because I don't get it at all.
The main examples I think of with a recent lack of symmetry is the focus on making non-trainer encounters that don't follow the same lines. So Raids, Titans, Starmobiles, Eternatus, whatever I've missed. They've taken over most of the postgame since gen 8 and a significant chunk of the maingame in gen 9 while falling into undesirable tropes of other RPGs like blanket status immunities.

The main examples I think of with a recent lack of symmetry is the focus on making non-trainer encounters that don't follow the same lines. So Raids, Titans, Starmobiles, Eternatus, whatever I've missed. They've taken over most of the postgame since gen 8 and a significant chunk of the maingame in gen 9 while falling into undesirable tropes of other RPGs like blanket status immunities.
Gotcha, so battles where the opponent has attributes that aren't obtainable by the player or has some sort of strategic advantage. Thanks for the reply.

I personally don't mind raids; I think both forms have various problems but they're an interesting concept to me (intended to promote teamwork). The Starmobiles and Eternamax Eternatus are probably closer to traditional JRPG bosses than others in implementation, though Starmobiles are mostly just really fat opponents and Eternatus becomes its own cutscene thanks to the dogs.

I guess the Titans count, though I didn't feel like they were much different than strong wild encounters (I'm not sure exactly what buffs they get compared to other wild Pokémon). And I believe that, with the exception of the Quaking Earth Titan, you could find regular variants of all Titan Pokémon before you fought the Titan, eliminating any real typing surprise (I guess the map's descriptors also give this information away!).

I'm a little surprised you didn't bring up Totems from Gen 7. While nothing aside from their immediate stat boost was out of the realm for the player to do as well, their battles felt more asymmetrical to me than your examples barring high-difficulty raids. A forced 2v1 with a strategy employed by the Totems, as well as occasional field effects.

I guess the Titans count, though I didn't feel like they were much different than strong wild encounters (I'm not sure exactly what buffs they get compared to other wild Pokémon).
IIRC the only buff the Titans get is double HP in the second phase. I don’t think they’re immune to status afflictions.

They do have 30 IVs in every stat, but that’s still true when you can actually catch them.

You could actually obtain the Totems in USUM.
And they just functioned like a normal Pokemon, when the point of bringing them up was for: the traits of their battle (the innate stat boost and the SOS mechanic making it 2v1)

This may not be part of the current conversation but…

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1731423358451855673?s=20

Looks like we’ve got a chance to have leaks soon.
Apparently the reason for the leak last time was actually a server exploit, which I believe was unrelated to any maintenance.
There likely won't be anything from this

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)