ORAS NU Scepyroar Balance (Peak 7, 1578)

Hey everyone, I'm here to bring you another NU RMT! Contain your enthusiasm!

Let's go right to the in-depth analysis!

@ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
- Outspeeds max speed timid rotom
Adamant Nature - For a better damage output
- Swords Dance - Helps you clean up/break cores effectively
- Leaf Blade - Obligatory STAB
- Substitute - Helps you against status and allows scep to set up on more things
- Acrobatics - Grass coverage

Sceptile is one of the best pokemon rn, its great movepool and amazing speed allows it to break fat cores with the special set and clean teams with sub sd, a bulkier spread helps a lot when you're seeking for set up opportuinities, enough speed for rotom so it can't will-o-wisp you, though enough for jynx might work. Adamant is necessary if you want it to actually do damage. I opted for acrobatics over eq because grass types are way more threatening to sd scep than fires and poisons.

- Standard mixed special works as well.

@ Assault Vest (duh)
Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
- Standard spread with speed creep
Adamant Nature - Read scep
- Close Combat - Obligatory STAB
- Knock Off - Ghost psychic/coverage
- Fake Out - Priority 1
- Bullet Punch - Priority 2

I added hariyama because it's the best fire check we have, assault vest and its hp helps a lot against threats like pyorar, magmortar and aurorus. It also gets prioirty, which I think is necessary on every team. Close combat coming from a mon with 120 base attack is no joke, and helps you to weaken things like weezing for scep.

@ Choice Specs
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Standard
Timid Nature - Needed to outspeed base 100s/95s
- Fire Blast - Obligatory STAB
- Overheat - gone
- Hyper Voice - Obligatory STAB
- Hidden Power [Grass] - Rock type coverage

Choice specs pyroar is my favorite nuke, it hits so hard that even its "counters" such as hariyama, sliggoo and lanturn can switch-in without taking a beautifull 40%. Will-o isn't necessary on specs pyroar, because I find overheat's insane breaking potential more useful on a wallbreaker. It's a great switch-in to stallbreaker mismagius as well!

@ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 16 SpD / 16 Spe
- Standard spread with speed creep
Calm Nature - To take on special attackers like vivillon and pyroar better
- Scald - Ban
- Defog - To help with a spikes weakness
- Air Slash - Better way to hit fighting and grass types. Also flinches o_O
- Toxic - Wears things down

Mantine took a huge hit when mega camel and typh left the tier, but now it got a lot better because of its ability to sponge hits and being a defogger that beats the best stealth rocker in the tier, steelix. Spikes are really problematic for this team, so I needed defog support and a proper water check, mantine fits it and gives me my first fighting resists (even though it's a meh fighting resist).

@ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 244 HP / 136 Atk / 128 SpD
- Avoids 2HKO from tauros fire blast and hits lefties number.
Adamant Nature - It's weak, so it wants as much power as it can get
- Stealth Rock - Mandatory on every competitive team
- Heavy Slam - Obligatory STAB
- Earthquake - Obligatory STAB
- Roar/Taunt - Helps with musharna

I hate steelix :> "So why the heck are you using it?" Because it's so good that I hate it. It checks/counters more than half of this tier and 90% of the time there's no reason not use it as a stealth rocker, it's my psychic type check as well, being able to threaten things like musharna and mesprit. Sometimes I prefer taunt over roar just in case musharna is his last mon, but it's really situational. It's my normal/flying resist.

@ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 Spe
- Outspeeds base 40s with a neutral nature.
Bold Nature - To check fightings better
- Sludge Bomb - Obligatory STAB
- Flamethrower - Steel Coverage
- Haze - Hate sub barbaracle, hate malamar, curse those things.
- Will-O-Wisp - Helps you against physical attackers

Weezing is my sceptile/fighting type check, haze is a fun move to deal with malamar, a big threat to this team otherwise, and also stops things like sd scep, shell smashers, etc. I run some speed to deal with standard offensive megadino. Flamethrower can be replace with something like toxic spikes or even taunt, but I like it tbh, again, it's the player's choice.

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch

Sceptile @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Substitute
- Acrobatics

Weezing @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower
- Haze
- Will-O-Wisp

Pyroar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Overheat
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Mantine @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Air Slash
- Toxic

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 244 HP / 136 Atk / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Roar

NU room n_n

And thanks to HJAD for helping me with an earlier version of this team

asdf.png

Hopefully you liked it :]

Last edited:
hi, obviously a pretty vanilla yet solid build so there won't be a ton of changes that i'll be able to make but i'll try.

as much as i love bulky sd tile (ask anyone its my favourite set) i'd probably go with just your standard spatk LO sceptile here, reason being that this team really appreciates the extra speed that special tile provides. while not super common anymore, the base 110 attackers (tauros, archeops) are pretty threatening to your team since you only really have lix to beat them (weezing loses to zhb ros and taunt chops D:) as well as not having a real solid way to handle them offensively without losing your sitrus. special scept also works better w/ pyroar since they break down each other's checks p nicely allowing for one or the other to clean. everyone runs a different special tile set, but ik that you're a regular in the ps room so you should know what the set is oo.

only other thing i'd change is to throw toxic on lix > taunt/roar. toxic beats mush a lot more soundly (you can pp stall heal bells since you have more pp) while also allowing you to pressure rotom and mantine which are bound to switch in.

that's about it i hope i helped! ps: i like the haze weezing tech i might try that in the future

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
SD Sceptile / AV Hariyama / Specs Pyroar / Mantine / Steelix / Weezing

Hi, Can hit a lot of good points already, definitely agree with running toxic over taunt or roar on steelix and mixed sceptile is worth a try as well. Overall the team itself is more or less what balance has become in NU over the past month, Mantine/Steelix cores have become pretty popular in particular, and overall it's a pretty solid interpretation so kudos to you. With that being said, I have a couple of suggestions that might be worth trying out on the team.

• >
    I think that replacing Weezing with stallbreaker Mismagius would be a smart move as Mismagius's higher speed would still make it a solid switch into fighting types. More importantly, its ghost typing lets Missy be a more solid check to Tauros which Can-eh-dian mentioned can be a threat as it has ways around both Steelix and Weezing. The stallbreaker set in particular, does a good job of keeping similar balance builds like this under control with Mismagius's fast wisp and taunt. Although this does makes mons like opposing Sd Sceptile and Malamar a bit more annoying, SD scep doesn't get a chance to set up on much plus Steelix does an okay job of weakening it so Hariyama can pick it off with its priority. Malamar can be worn down by most of the team to specs Pyroar range rather easily.
  • Should you start running Toxic on Steelix, running the move on Mantine becomes a bit redundant as well. Because of that, you can opt to run Haze over Toxic on Mantine in order to foil set up sweepers like Sd Samurott while giving you a secondary check to slow calm mind users like Offensive Audino and Musharna.
Mantine @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Air Slash
- Haze

Mismagius @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Pain Split

Congrats on the peak fam and hope my changes helped you out.

Hey TTFTW, a nice team there. I would just like to add a minor change to swap clear smog over haze on weezing and toxic spikes or taunt over sludge bomb.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)