School Tournament

Changes in red

Intro: Basically, with the release of heartgold and soulsilver pokemon has become huge again and my school is having a tournament to see whos the "best." Very few people know about the usefullness of natures, let alone EV training so im not too worried, but i figured id also take this time to remake a shoddy team aswell. The school tournament uses basic OU rules.

Overview:

Analysis:

1. Uxie @ Light Clay
Jolly
252 HP / 220spe/ 36 def
-Uturn
-Stealth Rock
-Reflect
-Light Screen

Uxie is a great defensive lead who sets up everything i need for my team to function well. Uturn is used for breaking sashes whenever im up against a pokemon who will kill uxie, allowing me to switch pokemon, deal with the other opener accordingly, and switch back to finish my set up. Dual screen is extremely important beacuse i tried to keep a common theme of using bulkier pokemon and the screens add even another element of defense, allowing them to take even more hits and set up easier.

2. Metagross @ Life Orb
Adamant
252 HP / 236 Atk / 12 Def / 8 Spe
-Thunderpunch
-Meteor Mash
-Explosion
-Earthquake

Metagross is a bulky powerhouse. His steel typing allows me to come in when a pokemon like salamence is locked into outrage and hit hard with thunderpunch, or stab with meteor mash. Earthquake is also a strong move thats there for coverage. Explosion is great because it allows me to come into a pokemon that none of my others can effectively deal with and take it out, or simply take another pokemon with it when it is low on health. I chose to drop bullet punch for thunderpunch because it allows me to deal with bulky waters and fliers easier, and meteor mash is stabb'd already for tons of power, even though it doesnt have the useful priority.

3. Salamence @ Lum Berry
Naive
232Atk, 252Spe, 24SpAtk
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast
Originally i had proposed dragonite be my DD sweeper, however after numerous suggestions, i decided to change it to a salamence, who basically outclasses dragonite in every way. Im still testing this change but its definately not hurting me at all because the screens allow me just as much survival standing behind them.

4. Suicune @ Leftovers
timid
252 sp. atk / 232 sp. atk / 24 HP
-Calm Mind
-Hidden Power [Electric]
-Ice Beam
-Surf

When i made the team, i started with the core of dragonite and suicune. With Calm Mind, suicune is able to boost his already great defenses to levels that allow him to take even super effective hits and merely shrug them off, while still boosting his great special atk and enabling him to become an extremely competent sweeper. With Surf, he gets a reliable stab that his extremely hard, it takes out ground, rock, and other pokemon unboosted, yet even after a single calm mind its capable of OHKO'ing pokemon that are neutral to its damage. Ice Beam takes care of both dragons and flyings, and even grass pokemon, although a calm mind is needed to deal with most of them affectively. Roar stops any baton passer in its tracks and also phases out any pokemon that dont tickle my fancy, wearing them down with stealth rock damage. Leftovers allow me to recover most damage over turns because of suicunes high defenses and calm mind boosts. Overall, every aspect of this pokemon is invalueable and comes together to produce a perfect asset to all of my pokemon teams.

5. Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Jolly
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Uturn
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Outrage

Although Flygon's set may look similar to dragonite's, it functions in a totally different way. With both dragonite and suicune on the team, i needed a pokemon to take electric attacks. Flygon does just that while also filling the spot of revenge killer. His immunity to entry hazards allow me to switch him in and out with ease. His jolly nature allows him to revenge kill a +1 Salamence. With uturn i can scout out my opponents answers to dragon type pokemon, enabling me to scout the field and take care of anything that would hinder my dragonite's usefullness when i bring him into play. Additionally, flygon can function as a late game pseudo-sweeper. With stab'd outrage he can take out many already worn down pokemon and function as a physically based sweeper.

6. Rotom C @ Leftovers
Timid
252hp/180spe/72spatk
-Thunderbolt
-Will-o-Wisp
-Shadowball
-Substitute
Rotom ties up a lot of loose ends. He takes care of swampert, who can give my team a headache. He also answers to scizor and lucario with a will o wisp, preventing them or many other pokemon from getting a strong set up and sweep as it wears them down with burn. Thunderbolt takes care of water types aswell as giving a slight chance of paralysis. It also outspeeds and takes out tyranitars, which is a valueable asset.

Outro: Overall i tried to maintain the theme of using bulkier pokemon to set an offensive game pace that will outlast my opponents sweepers with the utilization of dual screens and stealth rocks. I tried to build the team around Suicune and Dragonite, and aside from them im open to changing any team member, however im happy with how theyve been doing in the few matches ive tested this team out on shoddy. Thanks for taking the time to read, and i appreciate any constructive criticism you may add to help the team out.

Looking at this team, it looks extremly solid, you have no more than two weaknesses per type, and you are only have one stealth rock weak pokemon. I applaud you for using Dragonite, I enjoy using him far more than Salamence.

With using Uxie you'll have to be aware of Suicide leads carring taunt, as you will have to u-turn and come back later. You also have Flygon and Dragonite having x4 weaknesses to ice, however you have rotom to solve and bulky waters carring ice beam.

I can't see anything other than that, and excellent team :)

If you are going to use Dragonite, give it Extremespeed, otherwise its completely outclassed by Salamence.

You have two pokemon with Choice Items (neither of which are trickers) so they are kinda set up bait, give Metagross Life Orb imo, makes it better overall, and prevents it from being set up on (for the most part).

Other than that I can't find any glaring weaks.

(btw, on Uxie, its Stealth Rock not Stealth Rocks)

Thanks for all the positive feedback and tips guys, and for the metagross change, i've been testing him with life orb and its been working out really well. One thing i have however noticed is that once suicune is down im having trouble against hippowdons, but theyve been somewhat manageable, usually taking a poke from me to down it. I also have no intention of using a rain dance team, i prefer either balanced or offensive based teams.

Very quickly, if you can get a hold of a DD Nite with Extremespeed i would highly suggest you use that move. If not then you really are just using an inferior version of salamence. I love Dragonite too but sadly salamence is by far more used for a reason.

This is the set:

Salamence @ Naive
LO/Yache/leftovers

DD
EQ
Outrage
Fire Blast/Flamethrower/ Fire Fang

Secondly i would prefer to see Suicune running Rest over Roar you arent using any hazards other than sr and you want to remain offensive. Even without sleep talk it can set up and dominate especially with the coverage ice beam provides.

Finally your current Rotom set is all over the place I suggest a Sub Rotom set it will still beat swampert, which is handily beaten by suicune in any case, and be a major pain to stall and offense alike.

This is the set:

Rotom @Leftovers
252hp/180spe(outspeed luke which is a problem otherwise)/72spatk or def

Sub
Thunderbolt /Charge Beam
Will O' Wisp/ Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball

moves that work together are colored so.

Otherwise run the same set but with pain split instead of sub.

The rest seems fine.

The rotom change is fine, ive never tried out a sub set on any pokemon but this should be good to test out. As far as the dragonite change go what move should i replace with extremespeed. I really want to keep using dragonite as he and suicune are two of my faves. The rest change on suicune is fine, i just dont really know how ill deal with paton pass without something to phase them out, but hopefully i can just make sure that the chain doesnt get off.

rain dance is like offense personified, it will destroy your opponents

i am against ddnite in general, the best set for that is salamence's set. ddnite has nothing that gives it a real advantage over salamence in terms of stats. i don't understand why you're using a life orb if you're capitalising on dragonite's bulk either. if you're gonna use dragonite use superpower or cb extremespeed. change to this set...

Dragonite (M) @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Extremespeed

if you really really really do not want to use ddmence use cbnite. cbnite has the same attack as cb scizor, and you know how much his bullet punch hurts. es is 10 base points lower than bullet punch, but you gain a retardedly powerful outrage. dragonite also doesn't have to worry about lo recoil with this set.

Anti-Lead Dragonite is one of the coolest things you can use. I also agree that Dragonite is cooler than Salamence, and is a cool Pokemon in general :)

Quiet Dragonite @ Life Orb
252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast
-ExtremeSpeed
-Earthquake

Dragonite can take a hit, then hit back with a coverage move of your choice. ExtremeSpeed to finish them off. Works like a charm, will always start you out 6-5 or 5-5 (depending on Life Orb). Another advantage for using Dragonite as your lead is that your friends may think you arn't a serious player (as they notice you lead with your fave Pokemon) then you anti-lead there arse and win 5-0. Surprise factor: A million. -.-

Though you already have a lead, so you may want to go with a DDnite... which is what you have. Good luck finding the right move set for it!

Sorry should have mentioned this but timid is a crucial nature on Sub Rotom, otherwise it cant outspeed jolly luke.

I also had a tentative idea to run chesto on Suicune through this you can get a couple cms with the screens rest it all off and proceed to destroy the opponent.

Hello,

Got your message, so here we go.
First of all, this is already a quite solid team, so I think you won't have to change much. I also can't see any major flaws and threats your team can't handle. Flygon is one of the best revenge killers out there, so set up sweepers won't be a huge problem. The only one that can be troublesome is Jolly SD Lucario. After a SD it will ohko everything but Flygon and Suicune, and those two will also get a severe blow and can be killed if weakened. But Jolly Lucario is not that common, so I don't think this will cost you too many matches. Your team is already quite good, but nonetheless I have some nitpicks that could improve it a bit further.

Uxie: Great lead. But I would definitely use a Jolly nature and 220 speed EVs along with 252HP and 36Def. This speed is needed to outpace Roserade and most Gliscor leads so you will be able to at least get up Rocks before they Sleep or Taunt you respectively. The lost bulk won't hurt too much as Uxie will still be able to take some hits with its great defense stats.

Rotom-C: I agree with iKitsune. You should definitely run a Timid nature along with the given EVs in order to outrun Adamant SD Lucario, who will absolutely ruin your team if Rotom can't outrun and Burn it.

Suicune: Somehow I think that this set does not fit your team that well for it is very defensively oriented and doesn't have the power to sweep in most cases. Rest is not a good option in a team that tries to set up Screens in order to sweep more easily. Those lost 2 turns and the lack of SleepTalk are really not appreciated. So I would suggest chsnging your Suicune set to the offensive CM Cune set. Especially behind screens this beast is almost impossible to kill and it will have the time to get in several CMs. After only 2 CMs it will ohko defensive Celebi, most Latias, Breloom and many other wannabe Cune counters. It will still be bulky enough to take unboosted Outrages and many other strong attacks, so it still counters many dragons and DD Gyarados.
Suicune@Leftovers
Timid-252SpAtk, 232Spe, 24HP
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-HP Electric/Roar
-Calm Mind
In short: I wiuld suggest an offensive cune with HP Electric. If Hidden Power is not achievable for you in real life, I would simply change back to Roar in that slot. But I would use the more offensive EV spread if possible, because then Cune will be able to sweep more effectively.

Dragonite: Well, even with Extremespeed Dragonite is outclassed completely by Salamence as a DDer. So I can't help but suggesting this set:
Salamence@Lum Berry
Naive-232Atk, 252Spe, 24SpAtk
-Outrage
-Dragon Dance
-Fire Blast
-Earthquake
Lum Berry is the best choice because being locked into outrage can cost you the sweep. Also in conjunction with Uxie's U-Turn you will be able to beat Sleeper leads easily. Just U-Turn out to Mence to take the sleeping move and ruin the foe's sash at the same time. Then Mence can outrun and ko easily.

Metagross and Flygon are okay.

Hope this helped. Good Luck !

Thanks for the rates guys, ive doctored the thread to show the changes ive made, after being told about the salamence build by numerous people i decided id go for it, and actually upon looking in my boxes in my old diamond i found one i had ev trained a long time ago as a dd sweeper [this was back when garchomp was around and i didnt wanna copy everyone] so im just gonna edit one of his moves using AR so he'll be totally good to go. Thanks for all the positive feedback aswell, its great knowing a team i put time towards is turning out to be really successful.

someone has probably pointed this out, but on ur suicune you have evs of 252 sp atk/232 sp atk/ xxx i dont remember the last one, but change that

Anti-Lead Dragonite is one of the coolest things you can use. I also agree that Dragonite is cooler than Salamence, and is a cool Pokemon in general :)

Quiet Dragonite @ Life Orb
252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast
-ExtremeSpeed
-Earthquake

Dragonite can take a hit, then hit back with a coverage move of your choice. ExtremeSpeed to finish them off. Works like a charm, will always start you out 6-5 or 5-5 (depending on Life Orb). Another advantage for using Dragonite as your lead is that your friends may think you arn't a serious player (as they notice you lead with your fave Pokemon) then you anti-lead there arse and win 5-0. Surprise factor: A million. -.-

Though you already have a lead, so you may want to go with a DDnite... which is what you have. Good luck finding the right move set for it!
they're not going to be using azelf or metagross...he already said they're rookies. uxie is better for what he's doing with the team

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)