Scizor

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I like this idea alot.

My only question would be is it smart to run Lefties on a SD+U-Turn Scizor?

I ask this for 2 reasons:

1. If you are trying to bluff a CB scizor as long as possible, then after some residual or other damage, the opponent will discover leftovers recovery. 9 times out of ten, leftovers on a Scizor means it has SD in OU play. And unless your opponent is new or stupid (which youd win anyway), he/she will know that too. So does it not defeat the purpose of bluff?

2. Even if you don't buy into the above point, there is still an argument to be made that there are other items which are simply better than leftovers anyway, which the ADDITION of being better for bluffing CB. Items like Metal Coat, SilverPowder, Occa Berry, or even Muscle Band.
The main objective is not to bluff for CB, but to abuse his scouting capabilities early on in the game so that you'll know what you're dealing with later before you try to sweep. A full-on bluff won't work twice and probably not at all if they notice him not doing quite as much as he should. Regardless, once you see Scizor, your response is going to be mostly the same in any situation: 1) switch to a check to take the predicted move, or 2) switch to a counter to block him no matter what he does.

Leftovers was there because it's just really useful for a bulky sweeper to have, especially one you're counting on to level the playing field for you all throughout the match.

Why do people think Scizor is going down in usage when his typing allows him to still be able to switch into dragons? Bug/steel is still great typing.
It has a lot more to go up against, and it most definitely won't Bullet Punch and U-Turn everything up the ass as effortlessly like it used to. It's not like he'll drop that much, anyways...like the others said, Scizor will likely remain a very legitimate threat in OU.

I was honestly hoping Scizor would get something new that was useful, but staying the same overall doesn't bother me either. He's still my favorite Pokemon ever (Tied with Afrobull now), so he'll still be on all my OU teams.

The main objective is not to bluff for CB, but to abuse his scouting capabilities early on in the game so that you'll know what you're dealing with later before you try to sweep. A full-on bluff won't work twice and probably not at all if they notice him not doing quite as much as he should. Regardless, once you see Scizor, your response is going to be mostly the same in any situation: 1) switch to a check to take the predicted move, or 2) switch to a counter to block him no matter what he does.

Leftovers was there because it's just really useful for a bulky sweeper to have, especially one you're counting on to level the playing field for you all throughout the match.
In gen 4 I used the same set with both Lefties and Expert Belt and I found that bluffing a CB set usually worked better. Everyone assumes that any Scizor that doesn't show recovery or Life Orb damage is a CB because there's no reason to use anything else. The surprise factor was what got me the most kills.

The big problem with that is because there are so many Scizor's around enough players have a pretty good idea of how much damage a CB Bullet Punch does and can see when it does considerably less that its not @CB.

I've been running a specially bulky Scizor to a lot of success. Scizor actually has the ability to OHKO Rankurusu (or whatever the english name is) while taking about 40% from Focus Blast on offensive variants (which is saying a lot)

Bulky Scizor
Scizor w/ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
Careful/Adamant
EVs: 252 HP; 16 Atk; 240 SpDef
-Swords Dance
-Bug Bite
-Bullet Punch
-Roost

This set is able to wall a lot of Special Attackers (barring they don't pack HP Fire) while being able to set up and maintain an offensive presence. Swords Dance allows Scizor to boosts it's attack stat and make it a viable offensive presence while maintaining its ability as a special wall. Bug Bite is not only boosted by Technician, but allows Scizor to OHKO Pokemon like Rankurusu and Latios (taking about 40% from a Specs Draco Meteor) after a boost. Bullet Punch is amazing with Technician and allows Scizor to bypass its mediocre speed. Roost is for reliable recovery, which allows Scizor more chances to set up.

This Scizor also has the ability to take out IPL's famous stall team (if Gyarados is taken out).

I don't know if it's just me but alot of the teams I see are fairly weak to bulky SD Scizor. It's harder to take out this gen than last but thats just my opinion.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I hate Burungeru, Heatran, and Skarm so much.

SDRoost Scizor is really good but then he's literally wothless against any team with one of the three.

Truth be told, I haven't run into CB-Scizor all that much, so as soon as one comes in I send out CS Magnet Pull Magnezone on the predicted SD. OHKO with HP Fire easy, almost no damage from even +6 Bullet Punch, and I will outspeed a U-Turn, so no worries

Why burungeru is awesum

Scizor : oh buru i set up on yeahhhh

Buru : come here "will-o-wisp !!!!!!!"

Scizor : oh Sh*t

yeah buru is that good against scizor in my experience

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
It's not just that Cb or SD Scizor is walled by new threats. He's troubled by changes to existing pokemon and new offensive threats as well. The rotom forms are no longer weak to pursuit and two of them are 4x resistant to bullet punch. Rotom-H is resistant to both u-turn and bullet punch. Sweepers like Volcorona could care less for Scizor (barring something like Occa Acrobat Scizor in the rain) while it sets up, resists everything it can do, and laughs if flame body actually activates. You're going to wish Scizor wasn't your priority user when speed boost Blaziken runs rampant on your team.

Scizor is still very good, but he has some added problems to face since last generation.

How would a "fling" Scizor work?

Scizor@light Ball
252 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 4 Spe
Adamant: Technician
-Fling
-Swords Dance
-Bullet Punch
-Bug Bite

Fling Light ball is a 100% accurate paralasys move crippling many sweepers, swords dance on the switch out and wreck some shit up.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted

Scizor@light Ball
252 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 4 Spe
-Fling
-Swords Dance
-Bullet Punch
-Bug Bite

Fling Light ball is a 100% accurate paralasys move crippling many sweepers, swords dance on the switch out and wreck some shit up.
It's a gimmick set at best. True, it cripples the enemy, but there are more effective ways of crippling a sweeper if you really need to that badly. Also, heatran rapes you even harder now as you have no fighting moves.

i tried something like that once(but superpower instead of SD) and getting heatran and/or magnezone by surprise was nice, the problem is that you gotta predict the switch(not hard depending on how much you scouted) and you will have no items after fling(plus a useless move).

barely worth using but useful when it does work.

Zapdos is such a pain in the ass for this guy as is the uber troll, fan form rotom. i kinda wish he learned knock down( which is better then rock slide thanks to perfect accuracy).

Scizor@light Ball
252 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 4 Spe
-Fling
-Swords Dance
-Bullet Punch
-Bug Bite

Well, if your going to use fling, Scizor DOES have access to acrobat, so It'd be a shame to waste that. A 110 BP move coming off 130 Base Attack is nothing to scoff at.

The problem is that Fling takes away two important things for Scizor. 1 is a good item, and another is a valuable moveslot.

So, i would never say never, but Fling just doesn't seem to cut it.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Well, if your going to use fling, Scizor DOES have access to acrobat, so It'd be a shame to waste that. A 110 BP move coming off 130 Base Attack is nothing to scoff at.

The problem is that Fling takes away two important things for Scizor. 1 is a good item, and another is a valuable moveslot.

So, i would never say never, but Fling just doesn't seem to cut it.
Also, what would you drop for it on that set? Bug Bite is stronger after STAB, Bullet Punch is pretty much obligatory for any Scizor, and SD is going to be a lot more useful when you're forcing switches.

Another thing too.

In my original post, i made a point to say that "this is the only Scizor set that matters."

I truly mean that. In OU, while the EV's may be tweaked a bit, and the item, the concept of CB Scizor is really the only workable set in OU

The idea of a scizor who can set up, ie Swords Dance, sounds good on paper but is really ineffective in real play. Here is why:

1. Scizor is outclassed if he wants to run a Swords Dance set. There are better setup pokemon for this job.

2. Many pokemon that are faster than Scizor resist BP. even if they dont resist a different move, they are still faster and can kil him if they OHKO

3. A surprisingly large number of pokemon can handle any of the 2 or 3 +2 moves Scizor will throw at them with ease.

tell me what outclass scizor as SD bullet punch user.
Nothing. yeah seriously. And i can say most people say SD zor work really well this meta and i have try it myself.

Nothing. yeah seriously. And i can say most people say SD zor work really well this meta and i have try it myself.
Well obviously nothing outclasses Scizor in the sense that its SD and Powerful BP is exclusive.

But there are better Swords Dance Boosters with greater destructive prowess than scizor. Terakion, lucario, excadril, Haxorus, and Landorus to name a few.

the problem is that too many things resist or don't really care about anything scizor can throw at them, and kill him.

let alone how many resist BP.

Well obviously nothing outclasses Scizor in the sense that its SD and Powerful BP is exclusive.

But there are better Swords Dance Boosters with greater destructive prowess than scizor. Terakion, lucario, excadril, Haxorus, and Landorus to name a few.

the problem is that too many things resist or don't really care about anything scizor can throw at them, and kill him.

let alone how many resist BP.
That doesn't mean that any of them can take Scizor's spot on a team. Lucario is the only one on that list with priority of any sort, and it's both less bulky and less powerful. Haxorus just isn't that great in the first place, Excadrill needs sand, and Terrakion and Landlos have completely different typing and STABs. The same goes for Haxorus of course, as well.

Scizor isn't the best sweeper, but there are plenty of things he can do with a bulky SD set that no other Pokemon can do. Assuming you're familiar with Scizor at all, I shouldn't need to say anything more than that.

Not to mention, when someone sees Scizor come in as a revenger, their first reaction generally is to switch out to anything that may be able to take a hit from a choice banded bullet punch (unless they plan on sacrificing their pokemon)... and when they see him use SD on their switch.... FUUUUUUUUUUU.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nothing. yeah seriously.
That doesn't really matter because SD Bullet Punch got a lot worse this gen. Even more top threats in OU resist Bullet Punch than last gen. Doryuuzu, Thundurus, Nattorei, Burungeru, Skarmory, Forry, Rotom, Heatran, Kerudio (when it's released), etc. Teams without multiple Steel resists are pretty rare. Not to mention all of the Bulk Up users that make revenge killing harder for Scizor. Not to mention all of the random things carrying Fire moves to deal with Nattorei in this metagame. Nothing really cares about Bullet Punch anymore except like...Terakion.

The Choice Band Scizor set got a LOT worse, but the SD Roost set is workable. It's really the only useful one imo. Having only two moves is a real pain in the ass, you have to choose between Bullet Punch (and getting revenged easy), Bug Bite (and being walled by Steels) or Superpower (and having only a shitty Steel-Type STAB move)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)