Scrafty

This thing is just begging for Mach Punch. If it had that it could be THE Doryuuzu counter.

EDIT: In addition to Balloon Lucario, Ditto, Tangrowth, etc. You get the point.

@ryanide: by the way, if you won't be able to finish the zuru.gif, think you could spoil for us what you were planning for him to do? just curious :P

and is your weavile using Low Kick in that gif?
Weavile is doing ice punch, night slash, sword dance, brick break

For zuzurukin, I was going to have a constant loop of him walking along, headbutting Chillarmy's, then getting a +1 attack boost before going on to the next chillarmy.

Weavile is doing ice punch, night slash, sword dance, brick break

For zuzurukin, I was going to have a constant loop of him walking along, headbutting Chillarmy's, then getting a +1 attack boost before going on to the next chillarmy.
oh cool. i've always assumed brick break made use of a pokemon's hands.

dang, overconfidentzuru.gif would've been the lolz :)

but getting back to the discussion, with regards to drain punching, does the subseed principle apply to it, wherein it's better for the user to have lower HP and more Def/SDef since it's damage from the move that determines the amount you heal? if so:

Zuruzukin@Leftovers
Intimidate
252Atk / 4Def / 252SDef (Careful)
-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Crunch
-Thunder / Ice / Fire Punch

With no EVs in HP and just dump them into defenses. All in SDef since Bulk Up will boost your Def anyway.

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
Not sure if its been mentioned. but Drain Punch seems like a decent option if you were to run Sub Bulk Up or something. the PP kinda sucks but it works like sub BU gallade did in dppuu, which was very hard to bring down after a few boosts!

I just can't bring myself to use shed skin on any set. He really needs the offensive boost or defensive boost the other abilities grant, imo.

I just can't bring myself to use shed skin on any set. He really needs the offensive boost or defensive boost the other abilities grant, imo.
I don't think that he 'needs' them, it is just that his other two abilities far outshine Shed Skin.

Both are basically guaranteed occurrence, whereas shed skin is a % chance to fix a problem. It doesn't have much syngergy(imo) with the way his stats and movepool work out compared to the other two.

The problem that pops up at the moment is the ruling on Dream World Abilities; Overconfidence is great, so it might be moot for him, but Intimidate (if we are allowed to run Dream World/It is released by the time the game hits US shores) may just make him a bulky monster.

I've been unable to test him with a tanky +def nature/build lately due to hardware problems on my end, so I'm a little frustrated. Trying to decide which would be better to run at this point, since his most apparent weakness is mostly physical, short of..three moves, i believe.

Defensive stats with an amazing offensive movepool. I c wut you did thar, GameFreak. This is easily one of my top 3 pokemon of Gen V.

people this is the perfect set
zuruzukin
@leftovers
ability overconfidence
moves
payback/crunch
drain punch/thunder punch
hjk
bulk up
great physical sweeper might be putting this on my competitive team and im sure this guy is going 2 ou or bl at least great typing great potential

people this is the perfect set
zuruzukin
@leftovers
ability overconfidence
moves
payback/crunch
drain punch/thunder punch
hjk
bulk up
great physical sweeper might be putting this on my competitive team and im sure this guy is going 2 ou or bl at least great typing great potential
So what's your perfect EV spread for this set? :)

For something like this I would never consider dropping Drain Punch. I'd probably 252HP/252Atk/4SDef Adamant for maximum damage output, since BU will be boosting your Def anyway. OH! And INTIMIDATE. I'd love Overconfidence on this one, but I think OC is better paired with the Dragon Dancer.

I love the dragon dance set personally. It works better with overconfidence.

Honestly though, EV'ing this guy is a major pain. I always max HP, but then it seems like I have to split the remaining EV's between speed and defenses or speed and attack...

Also according to the research thread, Hi-jump kick knocks off exactly 50% of your max HP whenever it misses, regardless of the opponent. Ouch!

I love the dragon dance set personally. It works better with overconfidence.

Honestly though, EV'ing this guy is a major pain. I always max HP, but then it seems like I have to split the remaining EV's between speed and defenses or speed and attack...

Also according to the research thread, Hi-jump kick knocks off exactly 50% of your max HP whenever it misses, regardless of the opponent. OUCHOUCHOUCHWTFTHATHURTSLIKEHELL!
Seriously??? I gotta read that first. Well. That 10% to kill yourself and waste all those boosts...I might not x_x

And although I think OC pairs up well with DD, my super personalized take on Zuru would be max HP, max Spe, Jolly, Intimidate+Leftovers with SubDance support with Drain Punch and Crunch. Sort of a Dancing Tank. To each their own, I guess.

I think that Dragon Tail con work well with Bulk Up, allowing to make damage and sending out many of your opponents preventing them from boosting up.

Has anyone considered an Anti-Lead set?

Zuruzukin@Leftovers(if running Taunt)/LO(with Drain Punch)
Overconfidence
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spd (Adamant)
-Fake Out
-Drain Punch/Focus Punch/Low Kick
-Taunt/Sub
-Payback/Crunch

Definitely 4-slot syndrome...this guys has one of the best typings and movepools for a slow Anti-lead (if only he had Mach Punch/ Sucker Punch). Fake out is a must for this set with all the Focus Sashes and now Sturdy pokes, who will be especially more common as most carry Stealth Rock (now not a TM). Drain Punch has STAB and gets back the needed Health, Low Kick hits bulky leads (Metagross, Aggron(Sturdy), and Swampert) for more, and Focus Punch runs well with Sub. If you're going to run Taunt, Payback and Drain Punch are prefered (double power on the first and healing on the latter), but Payback can really work with any of these. There are a lot of other options (Bulk Up, DD, Dragon Tail, Counter), but the above work well together and get STAB. Overconfidence is prefered due to boost, Intimidate might not work all the time, and Shed Skin isn't useful cause the little lizard doesn't mind paralyze or poison (but if you're worried about burn).

Currently running:

Zuruzukin@Leftovers
Careful
Overconfidence
252 HP, 126 Def, 130 Atk

-Payback
-Drain Punch
-Bulk Up
-Zen Headbutt

I use Zen Headbutt because I've had a bunch of fighting types switch in on him and get gibbed/flinched by it, which is pretty nice. Ice Punch over ZH could work for ice/flying
types. He really does have 4-slot syndrome. His movepool is amazing, short of the lack of Sucker Punch/Mach Punch. maybe we'll get lucky and they'll make MP a tutor move in 'Grey' version or revise his breeding compatability..

Well, I can hope.

Currently running:

Zuruzukin@Leftovers
Careful
Overconfidence
252 HP, 126 Def, 130 Atk

-Payback
-Drain Punch
-Bulk Up
-Zen Headbutt

I use Zen Headbutt because I've had a bunch of fighting types switch in on him and get gibbed/flinched by it, which is pretty nice. Ice Punch over ZH could work for ice/flying
types. He really does have 4-slot syndrome. His movepool is amazing, short of the lack of Sucker Punch/Mach Punch. maybe we'll get lucky and they'll make MP a tutor move in 'Grey' version or revise his breeding compatability..

Well, I can hope.
Although I see some merit in using Overconfidence in a slow, bulky set, I'm really, really, really not sold on the idea...Care to explain the choice? And this doesn't mean I don't like it, I just don't understand too much why Overconfidence over Intimidate on a Bulky set since a slow sweeper won't be guaranteed to survive as long as an fast Overconfident Dancing Zuru who can potentially sweep a 2-3 pokes and damaging one more before going down.

I believe it's because you'll be boosting your attack (and therefore the power of your Drain Punch) every time you KO an opponent, with no need to sacrifice a turn on yet another bulk up.

I don't think that he 'needs' them, it is just that his other two abilities far outshine Shed Skin.

Both are basically guaranteed occurrence, whereas shed skin is a % chance to fix a problem. It doesn't have much syngergy(imo) with the way his stats and movepool work out compared to the other two.
Intimidate only works once and it only matters on physical attackers, and I have seen far too many YT battles where this thing comes in, gets poisoned, and dies after getting an Overconfidence boost. If you're running a Bulk Up set, you already have a method of raising attack.

Since this thing lacks recovery outside of Drain Punch, damaging status really destroys his staying power. Due to his nature of being a Fighting type without Guts, he's a massive status magnet. For that reason alone, having a chance (which is fairly high) of instantly clearing status is leagues above his other abilities if your goal is to be a bulky pain in the ass.

Intimidate only works once and it only matters on physical attackers, and I have seen far too many YT battles where this thing comes in, gets poisoned, and dies after getting an Overconfidence boost. If you're running a Bulk Up set, you already have a method of raising attack.

Since this thing lacks recovery outside of Drain Punch, damaging status really destroys his staying power. Due to his nature of being a Fighting type without Guts, he's a massive status magnet. For that reason alone, having a chance (which is fairly high) of instantly clearing status is leagues above his other abilities if your goal is to be a bulky pain in the ass.
Currently I've been working with Zuruzkin on a mono-type fighting team. I have a pokemon with guts on the team already, and if I get worried that it will be something with Toxic/A status move I bring him in. Although our playstyles may differ- if someone tries to wall me I just attempt to hammer through it. This USUALLY works, but I have hit some brick walls that i couldn't break. Zuruzukin has broken through most of the things I've put him up against, however.

Although I see some merit in using Overconfidence in a slow, bulky set, I'm really, really, really not sold on the idea...Care to explain the choice? And this doesn't mean I don't like it, I just don't understand too much why Overconfidence over Intimidate on a Bulky set since a slow sweeper won't be guaranteed to survive as long as an fast Overconfident Dancing Zuru who can potentially sweep a 2-3 pokes and damaging one more before going down.
As said above my post: It is the guaranteed +1 attack. If I switch him in, chances are he's going to knock out whatever was in. The things I prefer to switch him in on are Scizor/Heatran/T-Tar and a couple other things. I've had him live through an Ononokusu sweep and then punch it's dick right off because he had a +1 boost.

Most of the time I lead with Sub/encore/d-punch/payback machamp, and people are silly and status him, then get punched in the teeth because he carries a lum berry. This gives me a bit of free-reign in when i switch in my other guys, partly because i run a scarfed mixape and a mixed blaziken(silly, i know, but they're two of my favorites).

Zuruzkin is also my solution to Burungeru or whatever the jelly-fish is- I've seen him pop one open with ease using payback with no boosts.

more often than not I can 'force' a bulk up with him, or I just bulk up in people's faces too.

I wouldn't run a Bulk Up RestTalk set with Crunch as the main attack. I know nothing is immune to it, but seriously, it's an invitation for say, a Justice Heart Lucario to come in, Swords Dance on the switch, and have +3 Attack which would be DEVASTATING.

Shed Skin triggers quite a bit more frequently than you would think. But hey, if you're really that set on letting a burn cripple you for the rest of the match, more power to you.

Shed Skin triggers quite a bit more frequently than you would think. But hey, if you're really that set on letting a burn cripple you for the rest of the match, more power to you.
What if they don't have any status inducers on their team? Then you've wasted an ability slot.

There are a lot of variables that can be brought into play. For what he's designed to do(which, to be honest, depends on the person), he has three abilities that work. For me, I prefer Overconfidence because I have other ways of covering him being 'burn bait'.

While it is a chance to occur, and might seem like it occurs frequently, Shed Skin can still be called unreliable due to the fact that it is still a chance to proc. Intimidate gives you something right when you switch in and is guaranteed to do something(short of Hypercutter/Clear Body pokemon), and Overconfidence is a tasty little snowball affect.

We're also not factoring in the miracle shooter, which might be prominent(or banned) in the metagame. If it is allowed, chances are status might just get nixed due to the availability of items now.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What if they don't have any status inducers on their team? Then you've wasted an ability slot.
No you haven't. It just means that you're not helpless in the event that it does occur. Rotom forms are still going to be around, as are other bulky Ghosts with Will-o-Wisp. And if you're crazy enough to try it, paralysis won't completely ruin a bulky DD set, nor will Toxic.

I think it's more likely there would be an instance of status on your opponent's team than not, and since it's inevitably going to cause a problem for him, I don't see the harm in being prepared for it. Plus, it makes Rest-abusing sets more viable, kind of like with Revnankh in CAP. Except for the whole "I'm broken as hell" thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)