Scrafty

I honestly never really cared for Shadrest myself, but I hear it gets results. DP/Crunch/BU/Dragon Tail is a set I like to use because when done right you can just set up on the switch, then phase the switch in, and continue the set-up. It's less effective on teams with lots of sweepers, though, because you're more likely to just pull out another pokemon that can take shots at you. It works perfectly on set-up switchins though, like Bulk-Up Roob.

For some reason, when I think of Scrafty, I also think of Snorlax..

- They're both bulky(although Snorlax is bulkier)

- They both get stronger and bulkier every turn with Curse/Bulk Up

- Both absolutely hate Fighting moves

Obviously, I find Scrafty better what with his good STABs, lolhigher speed, and decent for DD. Not to mention he has recovery moves outside of just Rest.

Poor, poor Snorlax.

For some reason, when I think of Scrafty, I also think of Snorlax..

- They're both bulky(although Snorlax is bulkier)

- They both get stronger and bulkier every turn with Curse/Bulk Up

- Both absolutely hate Fighting moves

Obviously, I find Scrafty better what with his good STABs, lolhigher speed, and decent for DD. Not to mention he has recovery moves outside of just Rest.

Poor, poor Snorlax.
Hey Chill out man ! at least snorlax was a debatable Uber and Very extremely Top Tier OU in previous gen.
Zuru wont become uber like snorlax
(sarcasm)

I think Bulk Up is better than Dragon Dance since Zuzu isn't that strong or fast to begin with and despite good base stats, his defenses aren't going to hold forever without that investment and Bulk Up just has done so much for me when I use it. I think Bulk Up Zuzu is better than Roopushin because you have Recovery with Shedskin Rest or force out Gliscor with Dragon Tail/Ice Punch, none of which Roopushin could do. Plus Zuzu just doesn't die (being able to surve unboosted Life Orb Terakion Stab Super Effective Close Combat after Bulk Up with max hp/min def and then kill back and recover most of it's hp with Drain Punch is awesome!).

And Zuzukin isn't fast enough after 1 Dragon Dance to outspeed most things anyways.

I think Bulk Up is better than Dragon Dance since Zuzu isn't that strong or fast to begin with and despite good base stats, his defenses aren't going to hold forever without that investment and Bulk Up just has done so much for me when I use it. I think Bulk Up Zuzu is better than Roopushin because you have Recovery with Shedskin Rest or force out Gliscor with Dragon Tail/Ice Punch, none of which Roopushin could do. Plus Zuzu just doesn't die (being able to surve unboosted Life Orb Terakion Stab Super Effective Close Combat after Bulk Up with max hp/min def and then kill back and recover most of it's hp with Drain Punch is awesome!).

And Zuzukin isn't fast enough after 1 Dragon Dance to outspeed most things anyways.
1) BU Zuru isn't out-classed by Roob per se, but you're crazy if you think it's better than Roob. What you mean is that it's better on your team.

2) Why do people love ShedRest so much? It's nice to wake up early sometimes, but you stay asleep the whole time just as often as you wake up.

3) Roob doesn't die to a Terakion either. How does that prove Zuru takes hits better?

4) The DD set's defenses aren't meant to last forever. The set isn't supposed to just get abused.

5) Zuru out-speeds base 111's after a single DD. How is that not out-speeding most things?

I agree. I feel as though DD isn't quite as viable as Bulk Up since the speed boost isn't going to make Scrafty into a sweeper by any means.

Hi Jump Kick
Bulk Up
Payback
Rest

is probably my favorite set so far.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Glad to see someone else using HJK on Bulk Up. It's useful for getting past walls and bulky sweepers without requiring too many boosts. Drain Punch has its merits too, but I think power is also important for something as weak as Zuruzukin.

i have to say i have been having problems when i play against a lucario. if i would have been able to out speed him it might have made a difference. thats why im considering to use dragon dance instead of bulk up.

i have to say i have been having problems when i play against a lucario. if i would have been able to out speed him it might have made a difference. thats why im considering to use dragon dance instead of bulk up.
Possibly, but if Lucario switches in on you, Zuzu survives Close Combat after Bulk Up with 80 Def evs (max SDef actually isn't neccessary, 341 is good enough and it helps to have some initial defense) at full health. Of course, you kind of do need to have at least over 90% of your health left or you will die but they might actually anticipate you switching (after all, Close Combat is devestating) and Swords Dance/Nasty Plot/do something else instead where you Drain Punch Lucario into oblivion and considering you actually can survive Close Combat miraculously after Bulk Up and most of your health, Drain Punch+Leftovers will still give quite a lot back and after Drain Punching Lucario into oblivion, you have almost 60% of your health! Obviously do not attempt against Roopushin ever and this only works on Fighters weak to fighting but it's pretty cool. Unless they send in something strong that can finish off in one blow, Zuzu is pretty safe now.

Possibly, but if Lucario switches in on you, Zuzu survives Close Combat after Bulk Up with 80 Def evs (max SDef actually isn't neccessary, 341 is good enough and it helps to have some initial defense) at full health. Of course, you kind of do need to have at least over 90% of your health left or you will die but they might actually anticipate you switching (after all, Close Combat is devestating) and Swords Dance/Nasty Plot/do something else instead where you Drain Punch Lucario into oblivion and considering you actually can survive Close Combat miraculously after Bulk Up and most of your health, Drain Punch+Leftovers will still give quite a lot back and after Drain Punching Lucario into oblivion, you have almost 60% of your health! Obviously do not attempt against Roopushin ever and this only works on Fighters weak to fighting but it's pretty cool. Unless they send in something strong that can finish off in one blow, Zuzu is pretty safe now.
yes, but my problem is he uses aura sphere.

yes, but my problem is he uses aura sphere.
As long as you have the Bulk Up+1 Boost and Lucario's switching in on Zuzu and not the other way around, Zuzu survives the Aura Sphere with the same parameter of hp as Close Combat (which actually hits you harder even after Bulk Up because of the higher base power). Unless they're Specs Lucario, you should survive the Aura Sphere at full health and ohko back with +1 Drain Punch or carry a Lucario counter or Mach Puncher revenge killer.

As long as you have the Bulk Up+1 Boost and Lucario's switching in on Zuzu and not the other way around, Zuzu survives the Aura Sphere with the same parameter of hp as Close Combat (which actually hits you harder even after Bulk Up because of the higher base power). Unless they're Specs Lucario, you should survive the Aura Sphere at full health and ohko back with +1 Drain Punch or carry a Lucario counter or Mach Puncher revenge killer.
Or, if he wants, he could run a DD set.
Not saying DD is superior, but you shouldn't be discouraging people from using it.
Because BU is not always better.

1) So... you run Hi Jump Kick / Drain Punch / Crunch / DD? That just doesn't seem very effective to me. You lose to a few key Pokemon. Salamence, Dragonite, Gliscor, Thundurus, along with the stuff like Parasect (rain stall), Venusaur, and Amoonguss. It seems like Ice Punch or Stone Edge would be better instead of Drain Punch. I've never tried Drain Punch though, so I can't attest to its effectiveness but I do know Ice Punch comes in handy quite often.

2) Yes, I agree with this point. Regardless, it's not about looking into the Pokemon, it's about comparing the effectiveness of each comparable set. Instead of trying to ask yourself which is Gyarados' best set, bulky or DD, you should be asking if DD Gyarados is better than DD Scrafty, which in some cases it is.

3) I do it all of the time and I never have trouble. Bad poison takes it down super quickly and with fighting resists on my team it rarely can prolong its demise with Drain Punch. I love Protect btw, so I often use it on two Pokemon and switch between them.

4) I said you Rest the turn Latios attacks, leaving you at 100% and Latios at -2. If you wake up due to Shed Skin, you can use Bulk Up since they will probably switch out.
I believe that it really just depends on your needs to either get rid of HJK or Drain Punch but you should definitely not have both. I run Drain Punch with my BU set but you could use HJK for more power if you so desire.

i'll try a bulky dd set

Scrafty @ Leftovers
Overconfidience/Intimidate
impish 252 hp, 252 def, 4 speed
- DD
- Sub
- Crunch
- Power-Punch

Someone should get the calculations for a DD Set, i think that after 1 DD you can outspeed base 100 pkmn and that it's alright, with Scrafty's defenses and resistances it should not have a lot of trouble switching in and DD once, a good set i think could be something like.

252 At&Speed, 4 HP
Hi Jump Kick/Drain Punch
Crunch
Dragon Tail/Head Smash/Ice Punch
Dragon Dance

I don't know if you should put 252 into speed as i haven't made any calc after DD, but i think a set like this can work pretty well

I have tried both your sets and have found them fairly useless (no offense). There is, however, a set I have run into that I then imitated and abused to all hell. Here it is, what I think is the best bulk up set in the game:

Bulk Up Rest Scrafty @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
Shed Skin
252 HP/252 SpD/4 Atk
Bulk Up
Drain Punch
Payback
Rest​

This set is absolutely amazing. I have gotten 6-0 sweeps with this thing if the enemy team has nothing to counter it. The general strategy is to get 4-6 Bulk Ups so that your attack can reach above the 600's. From there, Drain Punch to regain your health and Payback ghosts.

Toxic can't kill you, as Shed Skin will get rid of it easily. Burns will also not work. Basically, you are immune to status in the long term. In addition, Shed skin has the wonderful ability to end Rest before to turns are up. There is about a 45% chance that rest will end after 1 turn instead of 2! Rest can also help you set up, as you won't need to exclusively depend on Drain Punch.

As for the EVs, they are obviously meant to boost Scrafty's defensive capabilities. Since Bulk Up can already raise his base 115 Defense, 252 EVs and a Careful nature are used to boost his Special defensiveness to extremely high levels. Once, I took a Hydreigon's CRITICAL surf in the rain, and lived with 20%! Now you may say that this makes him too weak offensively; but the point of this set is not to boost once or twice to sweep. It is intended to have very long staying power, and is able to potentially take down entire teams. The remaining 4 EVs can be put into Atk, as 1 Speed point with 58 base speed won't help outspeed anything to my knowledge.

However, Scrafty can be killed easily before he sets up extensively. Scrafty's main counters are flying types. Keep in mind that this set must ONLY be used after all of Zuru's counters have been eliminated. Once all Flying-types and Powerful Focus Blasters (like Infernape) have been downed, the remaining pokes are easy pickings.

As for this pokemon's counters, they are relatively easy to predict and take down. First of all, Swords Dance Gliscor can switch in on a Bulk Up, and set up before Scrafty can raise his defenses high enough. However, he CANNOT kill Scrafty once he gets 4 or more Bulk Ups. Pokemon like Zapdos may also have this ability (though its riskier). Another way to kill Scrafty is to send in a pokemon with Focus Blast and revenge it (although he will probably live it if hes at max HP). Finally, fast Fighting-types can kill it with a STAB Close Combat. However, once again, a few Bulk Ups can remedy this (an example is that I took 20% from a CB Close Combat from Infernape once).

Zuruzukin @ Choice Scarf
Jolly l Earthquake Spiral
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Hi Jump Kick
- Crunch
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge / Drain Punch

Outpacing +111's with this fashion item of choice, Zuru is free to unleash that powerful STAB Hi Jump Kick on unsuspecting frail mons. The newly buffed move helps balance out his somewhat lacking base Atk. The free speed boost in tandem with EQ Spiral is the focus of the set. This combination allows Zuru to function as a very effective late game cleaner and plow through fighting resisits by steadily building up his Atk stat after every kill. Crunch is a great secondary STAB, hitting immune ghosts super-effectively. The other two moves are mostly filler tbh. Ice Punch is standard coverage on DD for fliers and Stone Edge wrecks Urugamosu (I believe he can take a non-LO +1 Bug Buzz with his natural SpDef bulk so that's nifty). Drain Punch could work in the fourth slot for a more consistent STAB option that also adds some longevity, however the damage output is piss.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)