Scyther Sweeps Better Than a Cleaning Lady

. . . . . . .

Introduction:

Scyther is one of the strongest Sweepers in UU. With a whipping 110 Base Attack stat and 105 Speed, as well as Technician, Scyther can tear apart teams. The main reason why people don't use Scyther is because Stealth Rock rips away half of it's health in every switch in, but with the proper team support, it can wreak havoc.

This team has gotten my UnderUsed latter ranking to above 1400, which is really impressive to me. So since I don't want to bore you with this introduction even though you probebly aren't reading it anyway, let's continue!

Changes in Orange/Red.
. . . . . . .

The Team:

At a Glance:

. . . . . . .

. . . . . . .

In Depth:

. . . . . . .

Venusaur (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Ground]

This guy has been doing really good for me so far. He always sleeps everything that comes into his path (unless it's Ambipom, which I just Leaf Storm to kill it early in the game), then I switch to Cloyster and get some hazards put up. He makes an excellent revenge killer later on in the game, a phenominal grass resist, and just keeps this team together.

The only lead of I can imagine this portable tree having trouble with is LRcanine (You rock Legacy Rider!). Lum Berry really screws up my sleeping ability and HP Ground won't KO it before it KOs me. Timid outspeeds Swellow, Electrode, speed ties with Blaziken, and all that good stuff. Leaf Storm will kill anything that doesn't resist it, and isn't named Chansey, Clefable, and those other Pokemon.

Sludge Bomb kills things like Sceptile that this team has some trouble with otherwise, and will 2HKO Moltres on the switchi n after Stealth Rock damage (or if it is weakened to about 80% of it's health). Hidden Power ground complements my two STABs, hitting both Poison types and Steel types. Sleep Powder is for obvious reasons...Scarf Sleep is really the only way to prevent early game set up.

. . . . . . .

Claydol @ Leftovers [Soon to be Weezing]
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/80 Def/112 SAtk/64 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Psychic

This "it" always get's the job done. It's role is to Spin away rocks, set up it's own, and hit something before it dies. I might change one of it's attacks to Explosion to get the best hit possible before it dies. It has great synergy with Scyther, being able to Take Rock and Electric hit's while hitting fire Pokemon with Earth Power, but they share an ice weakness. Blastoise takes ice hits really well, fortuneatly, and can serve as a back up plan if Claydol fails to spin.

The given EVs balance two defensive stats. I didn't really need to hit a certain number, so if there is something that I missed, please tell me. Earthquake and Psychic provide great coverage with double STAB. Psychic hits Heracross super hard if it is locked into Close Combat, but Ice Beam provides better coverage I prefer Psychic.

Claydol takes hit super well, as well as dealing damage awesomely. It's going to take some serious convincing to get me to replace this ceramic toy.

. . . . . . .

Cloyster (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 HP/252 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Shard
- Rock Blast

This guy is really cool. He spikes from both sides of the spiking spectrum, as well as beating SubCM/NP Mismagius (Rock Blast to break the sub and do some damage as they set up, the Ice Shard). The EVs are so I can take hits from both sides (It's the most balance you get with Cloyster >_>). He can switch in to most unboosted Physical attacks and start setting up.

Other than that, he's not really interesting at all. I don't need Rapid Spin on him anyway.
. . . . . . .

Scyther (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 SDef
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack
- Aerial Ace
- Brick Break

So, where to start. Scyther hits 638 attack after a single Swords Dance. Aerial Ace and Bug Bite both recieve a much appreciated STAB boost, as well as Technician boosting them 135 power. Aerial Ace and Bug Bite hit everything except Steel, which Brick Break happily rapes. Lum Berry lets me get a free Swords Dance on things that think it's funny to status me, while Scyther laughs two times harder back at them. Life Orb is definatly inferior, and here is an example:

(Life Orb) You use Aerial Ace (Life Orb boosted) before you get Thunder Waved and decapitated.
(Lum Berry) You use Swords Dance as they Thunder Wave, and use Aerial Ace (Swords Dance boosted) and kill the opponent.

Scyther also packs a nice set of resistances to Bug, Grass, Fighting, and Ground, which allow it to switch in very easily to many things, which Life Orb would neuter the capibility to.

Scyther only can sweep any team short of
(scarf),
,and
(scarf).

. . . . . . .

Registeel @ Leftovers [Soon to be Regirock]
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Shadow Claw
- Thunder Wave

I already know how everyone is going to tell me how weird this set
is. It's not a utility set, no, it's a Baitsteel. The point is to go to something you know will cause a switch, Thunder Wave whatever comes in, and attack it somehow. I'm honestly thinking of running an offensive item because I find myself exploding on everything that I can, but whatever. As you saw my little Scyther threat list, you will probebly notice that Registeel gets 'em all (except
). Scarf Heracross is only going to kill Scyther with Stone Edge, where I can Thunder Wave it and Explode on it. Sets that are already statused won't be able to dish out Scyther. It can survive a Fire Blast from Moltres, Thunder Wave, then Explode. Thunder Wave completly ruins most Absol, and Registeel completly walls Swellow.

This Registeel is seriously Scyther's best friend. There are so many thing I can't do without it.

Registeel even lures in Hitmontop, survives the Close Combat, and Explodes (If I see Intimidate, I'll just Explode because I know it will lack Mach Punch, even though the attack drop may be annoying).

I'm not switching out Registeel if anyone wants me to. I might change the set a little, but I need to be able to kill almost everything with Explosion.

. . . . . . .

Spiritomb (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Dark Pulse
- Calm Mind
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Yeah, it's a beast. I originally had no idea what set to use. All I knew is a needed a spin blocker, so why not try an annoying set that always wins? Yeah, three immunities, no weaknesses, and a couple of resistances is like the perfect way to go. I can set up on pretty much every weakish special attacker. He is also the #1 sleep taker in UU IMO and walls almost everything after one or two calm minds.

The damage imput is really nice, too. It has a respectible Special Attack stat, and a great STAB. It's pretty much the Suicune of UU. Yeah, it's just bulky, powerful, immune to Rapid Spin, and awesome.

. . . . . . .

Rate, Hate, Steal, whatever floats your boat.

Threat list jacked from "A slightly odd UU team."

Absol - A problem. I'll have to slowly take it down or go all Brick Break + Quick Attack with Scyther.

Aggron - Leaf Storm from Venusaur, Brick Break from Scyther if it's Choice Band, Claydol juts all around beats it. Earthquake from Registeel makes it cry.

Alakazam - Spiritomb rapes all versions except Encore. Venusaur has Leaf Storm, Registeel has Shadow Claw.

Altaria - Cloyster sexually abuses it with Rock Blast + Ice Shard. Spiritomb and Scyther both set up on it.

Ambipom - Take the Fake Out, then Leaf Storm it to death.

Arcanine - Lead versions are annoying. I can take then down with Claydol or set up with Spiritomb, though. I will always take some form of damage. Morning Glory and all that good stuff is taken down by Registeel.

Azumarill - Venusaur laughs at it so much. Spiritomb beats SubPunch versions, Choice Band is easily killed by Registeel or Venusaur.

Blastoise - See Azumarill, except this one just isn't threatening to anything. Spiritomb takes Rapid Spin, walls it with Calm Mind, and rests on the Toxic.

Blaziken - Scarf versions have a 50% chance of beating Venusaur and vice-verca. Spiritomb does things to mixed versions (Calm Mind beats everything except Super Power, but I'm ghost).

Chansey - Venusaur can explode, Scyther can get a single Swords Dance in and Brick Break, Claydol sets up on Thunder Wave versions, Cloyster also sets up on it.

Claydol - My owns Claydol sets up. Scyther scares it away or kills it. Cloyster also sets up on it, Spiritomb takes spin and threatens with Calm Mind defensive against Earth Power and hits back with Dark Pulse. Claydol sucks Venusaur's dick.

Clefable - Oh no...Scyther has to SD Brick Break or Registeel has to explode. Spiritomb can set up on it. I can beat it, it just takes patience.

Cloyster - Spiritomb sets up on it and is immune to Rapid Spin. Venusaur does everything to it. My owns Cloyster sets up on it, then Claydol spins away stuff, and is immune to any hazards it sets down anyway.

Donphan - Venusaur has Leaf Storm. Claydol sets up on it. Choice Band varaints can be a little tricky but I can take them down.

Drapion - Claydol takes ~34% from Night Slash, Drapion takes too much from Earth Power; Claydol spins away Toxic Spikes it lays down, and Venusaur absorbs them as well as threaten with Hidden Power.

Dugtrio - Venusaur laughs at it, Cloyster has Ice Shard.

Exeggutor - Scyther has Aerial Ace, Venusaur has Sludge Bomb, Spiritomb walls it, Cloyster has Ice Shard, Registeel has Shadow Claw. That's everything except Claydol.

Feraligatr - Venusaur outspeeds after it Dragon Dances on the switch in, then Leaf Storms. Swords Dance versions face the same fate, other versions suck and are taken down with no trouble at all.

Hariyama - Claydol has Psychic, Spiritomb walls it, Scyther has Aerial Ace.

Heracross - Non-Scarf varaints are killed by Scyther. I play around Scarf Varaints with my Spiritomb (CC or Toxic), or Registeel (anything else).

Hitmonlee - See Heracross, except Heracross outclasses it so no one uses it.

Hitmontop - Claydol. Spiritomb. Scyther can kill Non-Priority versions.

Houndoom - Spiritomb walls it. Venusaur has hidden power, Claydol takes ~50% form Sucker Punch and hits back with Earth Power.

Kabutops - Leads are 2HKOd with Hidden Power from Venusaur (Sash). Rain versions are bitches and can only be killed by sacrivicing Venusaur (which I need to keep healthy, so it sucks) or Spiritomb.

Kangaskhan - I don't threaten it, but it doesn't threaten me. Venusaur can Leaf Storm it. Claydol sets up on. Registeel explodes on it.

Lanturn - Leaf Storm rapes it. Spritiomb walls it with CM and Rests off Parafusion.

Leafeon - Venusaur has Sludge Bomb. Scyther has Aerial Ace.

Ludicolo - Venusaur has Sludge Bomb and survives Ice Beam. I hate sacrivicing Venusaur though.

Mesprit - Spritomb walls it. Venusaur sleeps it first to check if it's TrickScarf though.

Milotic - Venusaur; Spiritomb.

Miltank - Venusaur has LS, Scyther has Brick Break, Spiritomb walls Thick Fat versions, Registeel can explode on it.

Mismagius - Cloyster beats versions with HP Fighting. Spiritomb walls SubSplit versions.

Moltres - Venusaur has Sludge Bomb, but it's a problem that this team lacks Electric and Rock attacks. Spiritomb walls it.

Omastar - Lol, Venusaur.

Primeape - Claydol rapes it. Spiritomb walls it.

Registeel - Claydol takes Thunder Wave, Spins away Rocks, and takes like nothing from Shadow Claw. Earth Power does a good amount to it.

Rhyperior - Venusaur, Claydol, Cloyster can revenge it.

Rotom - Venusaur has Leaf Storm. Spiritomb has Shadow Claw. It's annoying.

Sceptile - Horray for Venusaur.

Scyther - Horray for Venusaur.

Slowbro - Horray for Venusaur.

Spiritomb - My own Spiritomb walls it, no one uses the mono-attack set anyway.

Steelix - Claydol plays with it, Venusaur kills it with Leaf Storm.

Swellow - Scyther has Quick Attack, Venusaur has Sludge Bomb, Cloyster has Ice Shard.

Tangrowth - Venusaur has Sludge Bomb. Spiritomb takes Sleep.

Torterra - Cloyster has Ice Shard. I usually just Sleep it then save it for last.

Toxicroak - Venusaur rapes with HP Ground. Spiritomb walls it with Calm Mind while he fails to Sucker Punch or Cross Chop.

Ursaring - Venusaur has Leaf Storm. I never see it anyway.

Uxie - Spiritomb completely walls it and sets up on it. Scyther scares it away, Venusaur can sleep it. My support core sets up on it.

Venusaur - My own Venusaur is really good on it. Spiritomb takes sleep and walls after a Calm Mind or two. Choice versions suck, and I can definatly play around them.

Weezing - Claydol owns it. Cloyster totally sets up on it. Spiritomb walls it.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
You could try Scarf Venusaur in the lead position since it's very good at preventing early rocks. Preventing rocks from getting up in the first place is a lot more important than spinning them away IMO if you're running Scyther. After that, you might like trying out one spinner instead of two.

Sounds good. But then I'm replacing...Spiritomb, a spinner, and I need something to go into Vensaur's slot. So Instead of Blastoise, maybe Weezing? Weezing takes Fighting hits very nicely and has Fire Blast to deal with Heracross. In Venusaurs slot a spiker and use Spiritomb as a spinblocker? Sounds good to me.

Also ignore the threat list cause I'm swapping around Pokes atm :/

SlottedPig

sem feio
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Just a nitpick

Claydol is a very poor spinner. It doesn't threaten Ghost types at all.

That said, I suggest you change Cloyster's Toxic Spikes (Milotic and Heracross can take advantage of it after you use it once, Venusaur absorbs it completely.) to Rapid Spin and Cloyster to anything else really.

GL

Just a nitpick

Claydol is a very poor spinner. It doesn't threaten Ghost types at all.

That said, I suggest you change Cloyster's Toxic Spikes (Milotic and Heracross can take advantage of it after you use it once, Venusaur absorbs it completely.) to Rapid Spin and Cloyster to anything else really.

GL
Actually, I totally disagree with you. If you predict the switch to a ghost and Stealth Rock rather then Rapid Spin, it is more effective than almost every other spinner in UU (except Donphan, but I want a special attacker to spin, and also one immune to spikes)

If they switch to a ghost on my SR, I can go to Spiritomb, Calm Mind a few times, then it's game. So if anything, the bluff is what can help me most.

About the Toxic Spikes thing...I agree with you, but I wait until late game to set them up. I know, it sounds stupid to set up hazards late, but then they can't be spun away or absorbed. The defensive Claydol posses is also really important, is it resists Electric, and can take any non-super effect/boosted hit with ease.

Thanks for the rate though. I guess I could try your suggestion, but I'm really not sure if it will be that effective.

Yet a competant player would never let your Spiritomb set up for free like that on their ghost. Claydol's inability to do much to ghosts after you set up SR really limits it's performance as a spinner IMO(dont even mention Shadow Ball, fyi, it doesn't 2ko offensive versions of Mismagius, just to give you an idea of how weak it is.)

If you really want to keep Claydol as a spinner, I think that fitting pursuit on to your team will help. Otherwise, I really recommend changing him. I notice that you seem to have some trouble with fire types, so I think an offensive spinner Kabutops would benefit you. It does give you a huge fighting weakness, but since your other members resist/are immune to fighting, you should be able to handle it. Kabutops can also act as a good revenge killer for stuff like Swellow with Aqua Jet, and can hit ghosts hard with a STAB Stone Edge/Waterfall. Spinning is really important for your team since your main sweeper is 4x weak to it, so I hope you consider these changes.

Like what Slotted Pig said, Toxic spikes are no-no in UU, with all those Venusaurs. I'm not sure I understand how setting them up late game will help, since IMO hazards should be set up as early as possible so that you can take advantage of them, and late game most things will already be weakened enough that Toxic Spikes wouldn't help much.

GL

Yet a competant player would never let your Spiritomb set up for free like that on their ghost. Claydol's inability to do much to ghosts after you set up SR really limits it's performance as a spinner IMO(dont even mention Shadow Ball, fyi, it doesn't 2ko offensive versions of Mismagius, just to give you an idea of how weak it is.)

If you really want to keep Claydol as a spinner, I think that fitting pursuit on to your team will help. Otherwise, I really recommend changing him. I notice that you seem to have some trouble with fire types, so I think an offensive spinner Kabutops would benefit you. It does give you a huge fighting weakness, but since your other members resist/are immune to fighting, you should be able to handle it. Kabutops can also act as a good revenge killer for stuff like Swellow with Aqua Jet, and can hit ghosts hard with a STAB Stone Edge/Waterfall. Spinning is really important for your team since your main sweeper is 4x weak to it, so I hope you consider these changes.

Like what Slotted Pig said, Toxic spikes are no-no in UU, with all those Venusaurs. I'm not sure I understand how setting them up late game will help, since IMO hazards should be set up as early as possible so that you can take advantage of them, and late game most things will already be weakened enough that Toxic Spikes wouldn't help much.

GL
Normally, I would agree with the Spiritomb thing, but no one suspects Calm Mind. They always go to Moltres or something predicting Will-o-Wisp, then I just stall them out with Calm Mind (Yeah, they think they can kill me). Maybe your right about Toxic Spikes, I've been playing UU for a while but have never tried stall so I really havn't used TS at all. If I slap on Rapid Spin, I guess I can replace Claydol with something, but what's as defensive as Claydol and still resists fighting? I don't want to use the offensive Rapid Spin Kabutops because I'm tempted to use Swords Dance on my free turn other than Rapid Spin, and any Kabutops without Stealth Rock sucks anyway. Maybe Weezing to rape Heracross? It can be a problem, hitting 2/3 of my team for super effective damage. Fire Blast Always 2HKOs the bug with 4 SpA EVs...

have you tried regirock over registeel? It obviously does much better walling moltres, and has a much higher attack, which you should use considering it sounds like the main thing you do is explode. Also, i recommend switching toxic spikes on cloyster with rapid spin and changing claydol to either weezing or uxie/mesprit if you dont want to use stealth rock on regirock. Preferably weezing since he helps more against absol and heracross

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I also recommend switching Registeel for Regirock since the way you're using him might be better relegated to Regirock. You said you were even considering using an item to make Registeel more offensive, so a good way to do that could be to just switch Registeel for Regirock. Regirock also fixes the fact that you have no good Arcanine switch-in.

Also,
(If I see Intimidate, I'll just Explode because I know it will lack Mach Punch, even though the attack drop may be annoying).
Just to let you know, Registeel and Regirock both have Clear Body, which prevents their attack from being dropped, so you don't need to worry about Intimidate screwing you over

have you tried regirock over registeel? It obviously does much better walling moltres, and has a much higher attack, which you should use considering it sounds like the main thing you do is explode. Also, i recommend switching toxic spikes on cloyster with rapid spin and changing claydol to either weezing or uxie/mesprit if you dont want to use stealth rock on regirock. Preferably weezing since he helps more against absol and heracross
Lol, yeah, I'm replacing Toxic Spikes with Rapid Spin and Claydol with Weezing as the quote below says. Now about Regirock, that seems like a really good idea. I think I'll do that.

Normally, I would agree with the Spiritomb thing, but no one suspects Calm Mind. They always go to Moltres or something predicting Will-o-Wisp, then I just stall them out with Calm Mind (Yeah, they think they can kill me). Maybe your right about Toxic Spikes, I've been playing UU for a while but have never tried stall so I really havn't used TS at all. If I slap on Rapid Spin, I guess I can replace Claydol with something, but what's as defensive as Claydol and still resists fighting? I don't want to use the offensive Rapid Spin Kabutops because I'm tempted to use Swords Dance on my free turn other than Rapid Spin, and any Kabutops without Stealth Rock sucks anyway. Maybe Weezing to rape Heracross? It can be a problem, hitting 2/3 of my team for super effective damage. Fire Blast Always 2HKOs the bug with 4 SpA EVs...
I also recommend switching Registeel for Regirock since the way you're using him might be better relegated to Regirock. You said you were even considering using an item to make Registeel more offensive, so a good way to do that could be to just switch Registeel for Regirock. Regirock also fixes the fact that you have no good Arcanine switch-in.

Also,

Just to let you know, Registeel and Regirock both have Clear Body, which prevents their attack from being dropped, so you don't need to worry about Intimidate screwing you over
Thanks! I third your statement Meru.

You have nothing to even switch in on LO Moltres which will usually net a kill per switch in. My advice to fix this while keeping your team pretty much the same would be to give Cloyster Waterfall over toxic spikes. Toxic spikes does more negative then positive. First off 90% of teams carry Venusaur or Heracross which means your aiding your opponent to either sweep or you waste 2 turns of setting up. Another reccomendation would be using 252hp/200def/56sp.def Calm Milotic instead of Cloyster. Not only do u deal with moltres and np houndoom now but you also can deal with cm slowbro and dd Altaria without exploding with registeel. Give Milotic Surf/Recover/Haze/Toxic.
Hope this rate helped.

Meru

ate them up
Well, Regirock can switch into Moltres 2 or 3 times depending on hazards so he might be the better choice for a first step.

Yeah, Meru is right. I can find an EV spread to switch into moltres a few times and cripple with t-wave (incase they switch) or just kill it before T-wave.

Any other suggestions? These suggestions have been AWESOME so far I could really use some more help, thanks =]

You can't... timid LO moltres does 38.5% - 45.6% with HP grass and it's not even modest which has potential 2 be a 2HKO after sr. Also toxic spikes like I said earlier is a waste of space you could benefit much more from an extra rapid spinner for Scyther's sake or ditch it for something like Explosion. Good luck.

Well, Fire Blast does 24.5% - 28.8% on the switch in with Careful 252/252, plus Stealth Rock doing 12.5%, then hidden power doing 38.5% - 45.6%. Now, lets pretend both of those will hit max damage (which they obvoiusly won't, but we'll be on the safe side). If we add those up, we get 86.9%. (with leftovers recovery, 80.65%). I see how this can be dangerous, but I think I'm covered; even if he has a layer of spikes too, I still survive, and can kill with Stone Edge or something. I'm doing all that rapid spin stuff, I'm just too lazy to edit the RMT, but I'll do it I guess. thanks, keep the advice coming! It's making this team so much better!

Meru

ate them up
Just keep the threat list updated. It makes it a lot easier to give you advice on what you need to cover if we know the threats.

And to the person who said Regirock a Moltres counter... most Moltres hit their switch-ins off the bat with Air Slash, not Hidden Power Grass. And Moltres isn't going to stay in if it doesn't 2HKO or else it'll die/be crippled

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)