ORAS UU SD Infernape Team!

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
So, I wanted to make a team, so I made this team. It's pretty good if I have to say so myself. It's around Swords Dance Infernape, a powerful set that I think is underrated. So, here we go! (This is my first RMT, so I might make some mistakes.) Also, I'm not the greatest player, so I'm not saying this has peaked at the ladder like every other player does. (I feel sad now lol.)

God Monkey (Infernape) @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
This is the monster known as Swords Dance Infernape. While Infernape sometimes has trouble setting up SD, once it does, it is crazy powerful. Flare Blitz and Close Combat provide awesome coverage together, and Mach Punch helps to pick off weakened threats like Mienshao and Mega Aerodactyl. I chose Iron Fist as the ability to power up Mach Punch. Life Orb is used to power up Infernape, although it can wear itself down sometimes.

upload_2015-7-21_21-41-14.png

Cute but Evil (Shaymin) @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Dazzling Gleam
- Synthesis / Healing Wish
Here's Shaymin, here to help Infernape out with annoying water types and put some holes onto the enemy's team. With Seed Flare's tendency to lower special defense, Shaymin can even break past would be-checks like Umbreon and Blissey. Earth Power provides coverage against Fire and Steel types, and Dazzling Gleam is used to kill Hydreigon and other threats like Salamence. Synthesis is for healing yourself up, as I find Rest to be momentum-killing. You can also use Healing Wish to heal up a weakened teammate once Shaymin has done it's job.
upload_2015-7-21_21-49-24.png

Kung Fu Turtle (Blastoise) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Torrent
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 152 HP / 252 SpA / 104 Spe
Modest Nature
-Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam / Aura Sphere
Here it is, the finisher to this FWG core, Mega Blastoise. Mega Blastoise is one of my favorite megas to use, as it is very powerful, super bulky, and even has Rapid Spin to provide utility. Scald is the Water STAB, although Water Pulse or Hydro Pump can be used if you prefer them. Dark Pulse has pretty good neutral coverage with Scald, and hits Ghost and Psychic types hard. (Yeah, fuck you Cresselia, get flinched.) Rapid Spin is to remove hazards, and Ice Beam hits Grass types like Whimsicott who would otherwise wall Blastoise. Aura Sphere can be used over Ice Beam to hit stuff like Blissey. If you don't care about hazards or already have a remover, Rapid Spin can be replaced with Aura Sphere or Dragon Pulse. The EVS make Blastoise a bit speedy, but still having the bulk that makes him so great.

upload_2015-7-21_21-58-35.png

Triple Trouble (Hydreigon) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn
I decided I needed a more speedy team, and Hydreigon already helps out by beating Psychics and resisting Electric and all that good stuff, and it's such a hard hitter and so good so here it is. ScarfDreigon. Draco Meteor and Dark Pulse are self-explanatory, and Fire Blast is there to roast Steel Types. U-Turn is for momentum and to get out of a shaky situation. While this set is walled by stuff like Blissey thanks to no Superpower, Infernape already destroys Blissey and the like, so bam.
upload_2015-7-21_22-6-49.png

My Twin Blades (Doublade) @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD or 228 HP / 248 Atk / 32 Def
Adamant Nature / Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head / Gyro Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak
Dipped in the blood of it's victims, here is Doublade, helping with Fairy types and Fighting types. It can attempt a sweep with Swords Dance and has priority Shadow Sneak. Doublade also helps with Normal types like CurseLax, who can pose a problem if Infernape's dead. It has beautiful Defense with Eviolite and passable special bulk, although it's not very good. Is there anything else to say about Doublade? Not really, I guess if you like Gyro Ball over Iron Head you can use that I guess. Now it's time for the final member!

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVS: 36 HP / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Ice Beam
-Earth Power
-Sludge Wave
I was looking over my team, and of course I needed a rocker. I was gonna use Gligar, but he didn't serve much of a purpose on this team, so here's Nidoqueen, who can check Fighters and Electrics like Gligar and can still set up rocks, but unlike Gligar, he has an offensive presence. He also provides another resistance to Fairies, so you don't have to rely on Doublade so much to check them. And that's Nidoqueen, so here's the threatlist!

THREATLIST:

upload_2015-7-21_22-20-32.png
upload_2015-7-21_22-20-57.png
upload_2015-7-21_22-21-8.png

Ice Types: Three mons on my team are weak to Ice, them being Shaymin, Gligar, and Hydreigon. Mamoswine also can hurt Infernape with EQ. But all of my pokemon have a way to beat Mamo. Infernape can kill it with CC, Hydreigon kills it with Draco Meteor, Doublade lives an EQ and kills it with iron head, Mega Blastoise lives a hit and Scalds Mamo, and Shaymin Seed Flares it, and Nidoqueen can hurt it, but not too much. But Mamo can still open holes. Mega Abomasnow hurts too, especially since it also walls mega Blastoise and Shaymin and can kill it with Grass type or Ice type moves, but it's super slow and a lot of mons on my team can kill it. Mega Glailie could do stuff as well since it's Ice type, but it's not too hard to handle.
upload_2015-7-21_22-28-10.png
upload_2015-7-21_22-28-35.png
upload_2015-7-21_22-28-44.png

Flying Types: Flying types can actually hurt my team a lot, as Infernape and Shaymin are weak to them, and powerful Flying moves like Hurricane can hurt MegaToise and sometimes even Doublade (my one resist) a lot. But Moltres can be killed by Scald by megaToise, and Mega Dactyl can be killed by MegaToise or Doublade, or picked off by Infernape's Mach Punch. All of them can also be revenged by ScarfDreigon if they need to, and SR Weakness doesn't help them.
upload_2015-7-21_22-31-15.png
upload_2015-7-21_22-31-42.png
upload_2015-7-21_22-31-53.png

Water Types: While Shaymin can kill them, if it's dead, they have fun. Infernape needs a boost to kill Feraligatr and Mega Swampert and has a chance to kill Suicune too after a boost, Mega Blastoise only has Dark Pulse to hurt them (or scald for Mega Swampert or maybe Scald on Feraligatr and hope for that burn lol), Hydreigon can hurt them with Draco, but it's weak afterwards, and Draco doesn't hurt a boosted Suicune that much. Nidoqueen can hurt them a bit with Earth Power and Sludge Wave, but he gets hurt by Water type moves, and Doublade has to rely on non STAB Sacred Sword to do siginifant damage on them.

Dragon Types: Dragons can severely hurt my team, especially Salamence and Hydreigon. Draco meteors can hurt even Doublade a lot, and they even have coverage like Fire Blast or Dark Pulse to kill Doublade too. But the Dracos only 2HKO most of my team, so they can retaliate with powerful moves like Ice Beam or Dazzling Gleam, killing the Dragons. Hydreigon is also prone to Mach Punch from Infernape.
And that's the threatlist and the team, Enjoy!! Give any tips if you think I need any!http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-251854210 the team does work

Attachments

Last edited:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
I also just learned Mence is a big threat to my team, but i dont have time, ill post it tomorrow

Vapo

water me
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey BrandonBeast, nice team you have here. SD Infernape is a pokemon I've been meaning to try out for a while, so it's cool to see it being used here. There are a few issues I see with your team, however, so I'd like to suggest some changes that will increase your team's overall effectiveness:
  • The first change I would make is a slight moveset alteration for Infernape. I personally don't see a need for Stone Edge on SD Ape. A super effecive Stone Edge only hits marginally harder than a neutral Close Combat or Flare Blitz, and because of its 80% accuracy, your overall damage output is less than your weaker but more accurate STAB moves. Therefore, I would suggest changing Stone Edge -> Mach Punch. Mach Punch allows you to pick off weakened pokemon like Mega Aerodactyl. It also allows you to prevent certain scarfers from revenge killing you after an SD. A +2 LO Iron Fist Mach Punch OHKO's common scarfers like Mienshao and Hydreigon after rocks.
  • You mentioned that Salamence is a threat to your team. I would say that any offensive dragon type is pretty threatening towards your team. You don't have a solid switchin to Draco Meteor from the likes of LO Salamence, and these two can switch in pretty freely to Shaymin. Because of this, I would suggest changing Earth Power -> Dazzling Gleam so you can OHKO/2HKO Hydreigon and other offensive dragons not named AV Goodra, respectively. While you lose out on the ability to hit Steel types super effectively, I believe Infernape, as well as one of my future suggestions, will compensate for this.
  • I honestly think Gligar is a complete momentum killer on your offensively based team. It doesn't really have a place on your team, as all it really does is set up rocks. I think you should change it to a stealth rocker that is more fitting for HO. I suggestion switching Gligar -> Mamoswine. I would run an EV spread of 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe with an Adamant Nature and a moveset of Stealth Rock / Earthquake / Ice Shard / Knock Off with a Focus Sash. This is a pretty standard rocks Mamoswine set, with Adamant to compensate for the lack of a boosting item. I like Knock Off over Icicle Crash because it smashes Bronzong and removes lefties from pokemon that wall you like Suicune and Swampert. Mamoswine also gives you better matchup vs Ice and Flying types, which you listed as threats for your team.
Other than that, I believe you have a solid HO team! You listed bulky waters as an issue with your team, but I think with Shaymin, Hydreigon, and Blastoise you handle most relevant ones. Hopefully my suggestions will help patch up your team's other weaknesses. Good luck :]
God Monkey (Infernape) @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch

Cute but Evil (Shaymin) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic
- Synthesis

Kung Fu Turtle (Blastoise) @ Blastoisinite
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam

Triple Trouble (Hydreigon) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

My Twin Blades (Doublade) @ Eviolite
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak

hogg (Mamoswine) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off

Hey Brandon, cool team you have here. I have very similar ideas to Vapo. I also think going for Mach Punch > Stone Edge as it is more reliable and helpful in most situations. +2 Iron fist Life Orb Mach Punch is not something to mess around with. The only thing I can see Stone Edge helping with is Moltres, which does 6-0 your team, although not too common.

I also agree with adding Dazzling Gleam on Shaymin, but replace Psychic. Hydreigon really rips your team a new one as it gets a kill every time is comes in on Pokemon like Doublade, Shaymin, or weakened Blastoise. If you have Daz Gleam on Shaymin, that makes your Hydreigon weakness not as bad, as 4 pokemon beat it 1v1 on your team. My reasoning behind replacing Psychic over Earth Power is because its really only for Crobat, which you have Doublade to Pivot in versus quite freely. I just want to point out I really like your use of Synthesis on Shaymin! I would usually suggest Healing Wish, but Synthesis helps you switch in versus pokemon like Suicune risk free as you can Synthesis as it switches out, keeping Shaymin a consistent counter. And as you said, you do not lose complete momentum by clicking Synthesis, unlike Rest.

You should opt for Hydro Pump > Scald on Blastoise as well as a bulkier spread. Hydro Pump is better 100% of the time on offensive Blastoise, especially in your case as this is an offensive team and you are running a lot of speed. I think a slightly bulkier spread on Blastoise will be better as this is your best bet at a Fire Resist on your team. You really should keep some bulk so you do not outright lose to CB Entei. I am thinking something like this:

Blastoise (Blastoise-Mega) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere

This is still fast enough to outspeed most Suicune.

I also thought Gligar was out of place on this team and really didn't do much good for your team other than setting up Stealth Rocks. I believe Nidoqueen > Gligar would fit a lot better. Nidoqueen lets you keep that secondary fighting resist as well as Stealth Rock. It also synergies really well with Hydreigon as you can get a free switch into Nidoqueen when they switch in Florges. I feel like Mamoswine would overwhelm Doublade in checking Fighting types if Mamoswine was chosen. Here is your set:

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
EVs: 36 HP / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

Good Luck with your team, man! I think these basic changes will come a long way.

Last edited:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Hey Brandon, cool team you have here. I have very similar ideas as Vapo. I also think going for Mach Punch > Stone Edge as it is more reliable and helpful in most situations. +2 Iron fist Life Orb Mach Punch is not something to mess around with. The only thing I can see Stone Edge helping with is Moltres, which does 6-0 your team, although not too common.

I also agree with adding Dazzling Gleam on Shaymin, but replace Psychic. Hydreigon really rips your team a new one as it gets a kill every time is comes in on Pokemon like Doublade, Shaymin, or weakened Blastoise. If you have Daz Gleam on Shaymin, that makes your Hydreigon weakness not as bad, as 4 pokemon beat it 1v1 on your team. My reasoning behind replacing Psychic over Earth Power is because its really only for Crobat, which you have Doublade to Pivot in versus quite freely. I just want to point out I really like your use of Synthesis on Shaymin! I would usually suggest Healing Wish, but Synthesis helps you switch in versus pokemon like Suicune risk free as you can Synthesis as it switches out, keeping Shaymin a consistent counter. And as you said, you do not lose complete momentum by clicking Synthesis, unlike Rest.

You should opt for Hydro Pump > Scald on Blastoise as well as a bulkier spread. Hydro Pump is better 100% of the time on offensive Blastoise, especially in your case as this is an offensive team and you are running a lot of speed. I think a slightly bulkier spread on Blastoise will be better as this is your best bet at a Fire Resist on your team. You really should keep some bulk so you do not outright lose to CB Entei. I am thinking something like this:

Blastoise (Blastoise-Mega) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere

This is still fast enough to outspeed most Suicune.

I also thought Gligar was out of place on this team and really didn't do much good for your team other than setting up Stealth Rocks. I believe Nidoqueen > Gligar would fit a lot better. Nidoqueen lets you keep that secondary fighting resist as well as Stealth Rock. It also synergies really well with Hydreigon as you can get a free switch into Nidoqueen when they switch in Florges. I feel like Mamoswine would overwhelm Doublade in checking Fighting types if Mamoswine was chosen. Here is your set:

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
EVs: 36 HP / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

Good Luck with your team, man! I think these basic changes will come a long way.
Yeah Nidoqueen fits a bit better. Thanks for the help. Now to get these edits going.

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Hey man, cool looking team you have here. SD ape is kind of uncommon and its cool to see it being used, its kind of like the rare SD mienshao. But anyway, I'd like to recommend a coupe of things to help out.
  • So first off, I'd like to mess around with the set on Doublade. Since this team has some trouble with Set-up dragons (Salamence, Haxorus, etc), I'd like to recommend using a gyro ball set over the iron head set. I've had a ton of success using Gyro over Iron Head because it does a ton of damage to common threats in the tier, like those dragons trying to set up.

Doublade @ Eviolite
    EVs: 228 HP / 248 Atk / 32 Def
    Brave Nature
    IVs: 0 Spe
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Sacred Sword
    - Gyro Ball
    - Swords Dance

• Next, I would like to second Vapo's suggestion on using Dazzling Gleam over Earth Power. This helps a ton with dealing with Hydreigon, as well as other dragons in the tier, which hurt this team a ton. I get wanting to hit Steel's and Fires, but other members on the team have a better time dealing with those threats. I also agree with Vapo and Christo's suggestion to use an Iron Fisted Mach Punch > Stone Edge. I find it can be way more useful than stone edge, giving you a nice and powerful STAB priority move, being a huge threat, especially at +2.
  • Lastly, I'd second Christo's suggestion on using Nidoqueen > Gligar. The only reason Gligar was there was for Rocks and I felt like it was a waste of a slot, because Gligar is extremely passive. Using Nidoqueen in this slot gives you a solid offensive presence as well as a Stealth Rocker, which could benefit this team greatly overall.

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
    EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Ice Beam
    - Earth Power
    - Sludge Wave
But anyway, I hope you consider my suggestions and good luck with your team!

Last edited:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
The changes have been made! Thanks for the help! I'll try to ladder as high as I can with this team! I don't have an idea of what to build around next in UU, zalthough Swords Dance Pangoro seems fun to break stall, I dunno!

After looking at the original team nothing seemed terribly out of place, the sets were mostly decent, the type synergy was "good enough", there was an overall weakness to special attackers and ground/ice and as always, the fearsome bird type, but nothing really stood out. Still there was a persistent grating feeling of the "Its too quiet..." variety. After looking at the changes made by others it finnaly clicked. This is a full bore suicide HO team that's trying to dress up as a BO team.

Gligar, Nidoqueen, whatever, they kill your momentum and with no momentum to get them in safely, they're often faced with rocks or death. I chose both personaly. You may find that a Suicide lead aero > Nidoqueen

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 184 Atk / 72 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Taunt
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge/Double Edge

Taunt keeps hazards off your side, rocks are good times all the time, stone edge is a semi strong stab while double edge can let you ko yourself after sash to stop a spin. Nape needs rocks. Every mon that loves to swap in on its powerful CC's and Flare blitz's get their shit wrecked from sneaky bebbles.

Fire blast is here to do this.

72 SpA Aerodactyl Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Forretress: 356-420 (100.8 - 118.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Nape loves to kill itself on recoil meaning that it has to function as either an all out attacker or a cleaner in each of your games. Lets make it do both eh? Shamin doesnt need that weak piss dazzling gleam in its life and neither do you. As much as I despise choicelock on offense Specs Shamin with healing wish is a god. the power of specs seed flare with a drop is so absolutely godly that specsmin has one and one rule. Click seed flare, no prediction, just click seed flare, if you see a crobat, click Psychic, if you see a forry click Hp Fire. If you need another mon healthy to win, click healing wish, freest infernape or doublade in on a blissy of your entire life.

Shaymin @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Healing Wish

252 SpA Choice Specs Shaymin Seed Flare vs. -2 0 HP / 4 SpD Hydreigon: 267-315 (82.1 - 96.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Shaymin Seed Flare vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hydreigon: 133-157 (40.9 - 48.3%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Just click seed flare

On the note of raw retarded power, I do not understand aura sphere and dark pulse on Mstoise in this metagame, They kill no ghosts that spammign stab hydro cannot simply nab outside of the rare jellicent, and you can just double to shamin for massive damage on that little bugger. Moreover you hate mamoswine, you HATE mamoswine, adamant just wrecks everything you love. So why let stoise be slower than adamant mamo? Power loss shower loss. Litteraly.

252 SpA Mega Blastoise Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Florges: 174-205 (48.3 - 56.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
EVs: 76 Hp / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Water Spout
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin
- Dragon Pulse

Smash, Kill, slay, whats a blissy, you have a doublade, whats an Empoleon, that sounds like a double to free damage land. Dragon pulse is perfect neutral coverage outside of the fore mentioned empoleon and the nonexistant ferroseed.

Scarf hydrie is doing nothing for you but giving up free turns for another setup sweeper. You dont need that in your life and neither does hydrei. I would suggest Life orb Taunt+Roost Hydrie > Scarf Hydrie.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse

With mach punch on nape and the inclusion of water spout Mstoise this team really wants a dedicated chandy check, also a Banded Entie check, also a scarf darm check, you hate fire and need less fire in your life in general ok? Plus its not like scarf hydrie did anything that dual priority isn't doing, aside from lettign even more dangerous mons set up on its face. Another taunt user to kill defogs, stop healing, and stop setup sweepers before they get started along with a draco strong enough to actually kill shit keeps offensive pressure much better than the weakest draco in the west.

For my final suggestion I would like to agree with xshiba's suggestion of gyro ball on doublade...however with the changes added you'll find yourself playign games with your old never missed ever but still present elsewhere friend scarf hydreigon. Running a non standard doublade spread can help with this weakness.

Doublade @ Eviolite
EVs: 88 HP / 244 Atk / 176 SpD
Brave Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Gyro Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance

252 SpA Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 80 HP / 176 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 224-266 (80.2 - 95.3%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

It still does tons of damage but wit shamin no longer alone on bulky water kill and special wallbreaker duty you can afford to use doublade as a hydriegon lure and then healing wish it later.

With these set changes, the gyro ball doublade shiba suggested and the mach punch LO nape from Vapo I feel like this team could finally shine in its own right. Keep in mind that this modification of your team is a change to a team archetype where SD Nape can be effective, it is not by any means a full solution to the teams specific weakness but rather a boost to the teams overall focus and a solution to the systematic weakness within the team.

If you find yourself in a corner again consider using the battlign 101 and premade team resources. You do have some gaps in your basic knowledge of the game and some people learn better from other players than from the ladder.

Last edited:
Hi BrandonBest,

I'm excited to see you post a thread! You've been a good user engaging in the community since you've registered not too long ago, and it's encouraging to see someone getting better consistently.

The basic idea I get from reading your post is that you want the team to function around sweeping with SD Infernape. While SD Nape can be played as a wallbreaker, I see it is the only real possible sweeper on your team, as elsewhere you lack speed though keep offensive power. Interesting, as that is likely the least common Nape set in the meta right now (partly due to the effectiveness of many other sets). As Infernape is probably my favorite starter, I'm glad to see it! (though Serperior is up there, hah)

I'd like to reiterate that Mach Punch is indeed the superior option on Infernape over Stone Edge. Especially if you want to sweep with this mon, you have to be cognizant of his speed tier, being outrun by very common threats and scarfers. Mach Punch obviously gives you the edge in this sense, as you can deal a significant amount of damage to mons that typically outrun you. This pseudo speed is vital should you want to win games with SD nape.

Due to your lack of any super fast pokemon on the team, my first major suggestion would be switching Synthesis to Healing Wish on Shaymin. You note this in your description, but I think it is a much better option for your style of team. Healing Wish support is really great for some of your mons due to the stylized nature of some of their counters. For example, I ran a Shedinja Stall team built by YABO for all of the recent suspect test that struggled mightily with Mega Blastoise (particularly when coverage was correct). I typically beat it through a combination of T-Spikes/Burn and clever switching, and living some moves by the skin of my teeth. If my opponent had Healing Wish support, though, I frankly could lose outright as doing this twice (particularly after revealing my biases in plays (for example, letting Lax take two Aura Spheres, Resting, switching to Shedinja on the third then back to Lax)) is incredibly difficult. Healing Wish gives you more of an option to learn what your opponent will do in a psychological sense and play against his biases. Additionally, the Dazzling Gleam suggestion is spot on.

Christo already hit the nail on the head with Hydro Pump on Stoise, as for a team of your kind you'll probably prefer the extra damage.

I do see that you note Stoise/Shaymin/Nape form a FWG core. While this is true, technically, I think it's important to note that they should really play exactly like one. Particularly Nape is quite frail and subject to being worn down very quickly as a grounded mon using life orb. Not necessarily a team fix but something to keep in mind when playing the team.

Hogg I believe posted a bulky DD Salamence set some time ago that will give your team a bit of trouble depending on the coverage moves it runs. Again, I'm unsure if there is a lot that you can do necessarily to beat it with the current team structure, but I would just keep on the lookout, as Infernape will give it a free turn to setup and essentially run over the team.

My last thought for potential issues for the team includes standard Entei, as you have no real switchins to this monster. Granted, 99% of teams have to play around it, but note that your Nidoqueen spread is outsped and almost always OHKOd after a spike. Blastoise can take a hit but is not a consistent switchin, especially as it will have to take hazards commonly being your spinner (and you lack taunt elsewhere). This is another situation where Healing Wish becomes a superior move as it will help you if you end up in the common Entei loop of sacking a mon, scaring it out, sacking a mon, etc. Infernape I'm sure you know is not a switch despite resisting, as it takes roughly 60% from a SF. Of course, you shouldn't change around your entire team for this but it is something to keep in mind due to Entei's popularity and is another reason why I really prefer Healing Wish on Shaymin, especially with Earth Power off of the set.

Of note, things I agree with above: use Taunt+LO Hydreigon. It's much stronger and performs its role better.

I've never used Spout Stoise, but it sounds interesting. I personally would probably prefer the coverage as I'm a bit of a coward and wouldn't know how to play a Water Spout Stoise, but feel okay predicting to go for coverage. JJosh's Doublade spread is good and helps patch up a specific weakness, and I think it is a good option for you as well.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
After looking at the original team nothing seemed terribly out of place, the sets were mostly decent, the type synergy was "good enough", there was an overall weakness to special attackers and ground/ice and as always, the fearsome bird type, but nothing really stood out. Still there was a persistent grating feeling of the "Its too quiet..." variety. After looking at the changes made by others it finnaly clicked. This is a full bore suicide HO team that's trying to dress up as a BO team.

Gligar, Nidoqueen, whatever, they kill your momentum and with no momentum to get them in safely, they're often faced with rocks or death. I chose both personaly. You may find that a Suicide lead aero > Nidoqueen

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 184 Atk / 72 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Taunt
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge/Double Edge

Taunt keeps hazards off your side, rocks are good times all the time, stone edge is a semi strong stab while double edge can let you ko yourself after sash to stop a spin. Nape needs rocks. Every mon that loves to swap in on its powerful CC's and Flare blitz's get their shit wrecked from sneaky bebbles.

Fire blast is here to do this.

72 SpA Aerodactyl Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Forretress: 356-420 (100.8 - 118.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Nape loves to kill itself on recoil meaning that it has to function as either an all out attacker or a cleaner in each of your games. Lets make it do both eh? Shamin doesnt need that weak piss dazzling gleam in its life and neither do you. As much as I despise choicelock on offense Specs Shamin with healing wish is a god. the power of specs seed flare with a drop is so absolutely godly that specsmin has one and one rule. Click seed flare, no prediction, just click seed flare, if you see a crobat, click Psychic, if you see a forry click Hp Fire. If you need another mon healthy to win, click healing wish, freest infernape or doublade in on a blissy of your entire life.

Shaymin @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Healing Wish

252 SpA Choice Specs Shaymin Seed Flare vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Hydreigon: 148-175 (45.5 - 53.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Just click seed flare

On the note of raw retarded power, I do not understand aura sphere and dark pulse on Mstoise in this metagame, They kill no ghosts that spammign stab hydro cannot simply nab outside of the rare jellicent, and you can just double to shamin for massive damage on that little bugger. Moreover you hate mamoswine, you HATE mamoswine, adamant just wrecks everything you love. So why let stoise be slower than adamant mamo? Power loss shower loss. Litteraly.

252 SpA Mega Blastoise Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Florges: 174-205 (48.3 - 56.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
EVs: 76 Hp / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Water Spout
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin
- Dragon Pulse

Smash, Kill, slay, whats a blissy, you have a doublade, whats an Empoleon, that sounds like a double to free damage land. Dragon pulse is perfect neutral coverage outside of the fore mentioned empoleon and the nonexistant ferroseed.

Scarf hydrie is doing nothing for you but giving up free turns for another setup sweeper. You dont need that in your life and neither does hydrei. I would suggest Life orb Taunt+Roost Hydrie > Scarf Hydrie.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse

For my final suggestion I would like to agree with xshiba's suggestion of gyro ball on doublade...however with the changes added you'll find yourself playign games with your old never missed ever but still present elsewhere friend scarf hydreigon. Running a non standard doublade spread can help with this weakness.

Doublade @ Eviolite
EVs: 88 HP / 244 Atk / 176 SpD
Brave Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Gyro Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance

252 SpA Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 80 HP / 176 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 224-266 (80.2 - 95.3%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

It still does tons of damage but wit shamin no longer alone on bulky water kill and special wallbreaker duty you can afford to use doublade as a hydriegon lure and then healing wish it later.

You need the utility of a second taunt user to shut down bulky setup sweepers, defoggers such as empoleon, or even DD sweepers such as gatr, SD lucario, etc. Plus with mach punch on nape over stone edge... your setup fodder for chandy. Roost lets you soak all those delicious chandy hits along with fire en general, allowing for the silly shower stoise mentioned before.

With these set changes, the gyro ball doublade shiba suggested and the mach punch LO nape from Vapo I feel like this team could finally shine in its own right. Keep in mind that this modification of your team is a change to a team archetype where SD Nape can be effective, it is not by any means a full solution to the teams specific weakness but rather a boost to the teams overall focus and a solution to the systematic weakness within the team.

If you find yourself in a corner again consider using the battlign 101 and premade team resources. You do have some gaps in your basic knowledge of the game and some people learn better from other players than from the ladder.
man I don't know anymore

jjoshcja Hydreigon, Nidoqueen, Doublade, Blastoise, and Shaymin seem like the definition of Bulky Offense to me. I am pretty confused to see how this is seen as Hyper Offense. I believe Scarf Hydreigon works better for Brandon here over Taunt Roost due to how slow his team is. The revenge killing seems kind of crucial to me. I am also confused as to how Nidoqueen is a momentum killer? I also feel like that loss in HP to check a Hydreigon with Doublade is not the optimal choice since it is his only fighting resist, assuming you add Lead Aero and not Nidoqueen. If you could elaborate so I can fully understand your points, that would be great. Oh and btw, that Shaymin calc on Hydreigon was on a -Spdef nature Hydrei

teal6 I also think Shaymin's best last slot is Healing Wish but I think keeping his Shaymin healthy so he can stay a continue to check bulkier waters. Because with Shaymin widdled, any bulkier water just wins on its own with no effort. Your Healing Wish points are compelling, though. Its tough.

I'd be worried about the def loss on doublade if this team wasn't desperately weak to special dragons and birds in general, or if UU in general didn't have a massive fetish for bad scarfed fighting sets. Also the team has 2 doublades now so its all good.

I agree, hydrie should totaly be scarf, I love giving away free defogs with a Sac lead, I love failing to kill every single relevant threat without turn 1 rocks. I love straight dieing to fire. Gotta go fast!
(Ya somehow the forums killed the explanation for LO hydrie. Its fixed now and apologies to the OP for any confusion)

Yes the 180+ speed water spout stoise, the suicide shamin, the lure doublade all common BO staples.

Specs seed flare is sheer cold on a 120 bp stick, if you think coverage is needed to hit anything outside of the tiers whopping 4 switchins. Enjoy your sparkelzzzz.

Importable: http://pastebin.com/WC2xwisy
I tweaked this with the imminent ban of MPidge in mind and frankly there was no salvaging the special bird weakness. So of course the bird jesus weakness here is still super real, just use a premade till it gets nuked. If you use this team on the ladder and meet bird before that you'll need to make next level plays to keep up with it.

Last edited:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Okay, I think the team is pretty good. I hope this becomes one of thoise really popular RMTS.

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey Brandon, nice team!

SD Infernape is a really cool mon and can catch a lot of people off guard, even though it's hard to setup and reveals your set once you do. I must say that I -like always- agree with the changes Christo The Gr8 and Vapo gave you.

One tip/suggestion I'm going to give you is Tangrowth > Shaymin. Tangrowth is one of the most versatile mon that can go phys.def, sp.def, banded, Specs, mixed, pretty much whatever you want! The coverage Tangrowth has is IMO better for your team than shaymin does. Sleep Powder, Knock off, FocusBlast, other gimmicky shit; Tangrowth gets it all.

I'm on phone right now so I can't really recommend you a set, but I suggest playing around with it in roomtours/ladder, switching stuff up and seeing what works best for you. Also asking the UU room for some cool Tangrowth sets, -especially when certain users are online.....- will get you some good success as a result!

Good luck with your team and the suggestions all the r8ers gave you! :]

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey Brandon, nice team!

SD Infernape is a really cool mon and can catch a lot of people off guard, even though it's hard to setup and reveals your set once you do. I must say that I -like always- agree with the changes Christo The Gr8 and Vapo gave you.

One tip/suggestion I'm going to give you is Tangrowth > Shaymin. Tangrowth is one of the most versatile mon that can go phys.def, sp.def, banded, Specs, mixed, pretty much whatever you want! The coverage Tangrowth has is IMO better for your team than shaymin does. Sleep Powder, Knock off, FocusBlast, other gimmicky shit; Tangrowth gets it all.

I'm on phone right now so I can't really recommend you a set, but I suggest playing around with it in roomtours/ladder, switching stuff up and seeing what works best for you. Also asking the UU room for some cool Tangrowth sets, -especially when certain users are online.....- will get you some good success as a result!

Good luck with your team and the suggestions all the r8ers gave you! :]
But...why? That's like saying "Talonflame should be replaced with Staraptor because it's another bird". Is there any actual reason for making the team more Hydreigon weak?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)